PDA

View Full Version : Getting "Kit Fit"

30 cal slut
08-19-09, 07:47
It's amazing how different things are when you are running drills on the flat range "slick", and then performing them with all sorts of gear on (body armor, mags, etc).

For me, wearing full kit = moving like a slug and totally sucking wind.

Short of just wearing full kit everyday (maybe that's the ticket, but not an option for me), do you folks have a regimen that incorporates the additional burden of kit?

At some point I'd like to be able to run 2 miles in full kit (and live to tell about it).

BushmasterFanBoy
08-19-09, 19:54
Every so often, I run with my kit, but that's it. Just 20lb (counting my 10lb rifle :eek:) of additional weight cuts my performance immensely.

Patrick Aherne
08-19-09, 20:21
Buy one of those weight vests.

Don't go running around in your armor and scaring the sheep. It can lead to more holes in your anatomy than God intended.

panzerr
08-19-09, 21:45
If you value your knees and back, don't go running with body armor or a weighted vest. You may not feel it now, but you will down the road when you start to wonder why your body is falling apart at the seams.

Get a pair of running shoes that fits your foot type and run. Run for time, not distance and run outside of your comfort zone. Stay off treadmills -they are counter-productive because they fool people into thinking they can actually run as far and as fast as their gauges say. If you cannot run outside, skip rope inside.

Heavy Metal
08-19-09, 22:03
I went hiking with a 20lb pack today after work and ran the last 3/4 mile(downhill).

I tend not to run with a ruck but I was in a hurry because my cousin was in town for dinner.

Don't run under weight, it is bad for the joints as others have noted.

Also, take glucosamine and fish oil if you are doing any kind of impact cardio.

Hell, take the fish oil anyway.

Iraq Ninja
08-20-09, 08:41
I am forced to train at running with full kit since our company has a fitness test based on running with kit, weapon, helmet, boots. You have to do two miles in under 22:30. Most people alternate between a run and a walk to pass it.

It does mess up your knees. It also requires a strong back and shoulders. Shin splints are also a concern.

A weighted vest is good too, but you need to get use to how your kit hangs and how it moves when you work in it.

I prefer more of an anaerobic vs aerobic workout with kit. Sprints combined with going prone or to a knee are good.

Lastly, make sure that you really need everything on your vest. Cut the weight down if possible.

30 cal slut
08-20-09, 09:24
I am forced to train at running with full kit since our company has a fitness test based on running with kit, weapon, helmet, boots.

i brought up this topic since 1) i am an out of shape slug, and 2) this is exactly what we did when running "vehicle down" immediate action drills last week. say we took a contact, and had to bail, suppress, cover behind vehicle, and bound to cover/rally point.

you are moving away from the threat as fast as you can, going prone (or kneeling) to provide cover fire, and then running again.

i would imagine that in a country that has a lot of open space (Iraq) ...that's a lot of work!

(***wheeze***)

panzerr
08-20-09, 09:42
Before I got out of the Army we talked a bit about implementing a PT regimen that was more combat orientated. One of our ideas was sprinting with weapon, IBA and full combat load. We did do this a few times for stress fires, which was good, but it should be done more often.

If you are in contact and you are bounding more than 50 meters you are either wrong or there is absolutely no cover. Iraq has plenty of micro terrain so the later is generally not going to happen. With that said, if you are worried about combat orientated training sprinting with full kit for 50 meters on soft ground while wearing good shoes would be plenty realistic and as easy as you could go on your body. You could always do pull-ups or some something else at the end of each sprint to keep the heart working.

gruntinhusaybah
08-23-09, 04:21
Like IN said, try anaerobic workouts with your kit, have you ever heard of tabata(sp?) they way I know it is you do 8 rounds 30 seconds on 10 sec rest. push ups, lunges, squats, box jumps, pull ups, burpees, etc it may not sound like much oh only 30 sec at a time.... you'd be suprised

Running distance with gear blows, I'm 24 and in line for knee surgery...on both

Treehopr
08-24-09, 17:27
It's amazing how different things are when you are running drills on the flat range "slick", and then performing them with all sorts of gear on (body armor, mags, etc).

For me, wearing full kit = moving like a slug and totally sucking wind.

Short of just wearing full kit everyday (maybe that's the ticket, but not an option for me), do you folks have a regimen that incorporates the additional burden of kit?

At some point I'd like to be able to run 2 miles in full kit (and live to tell about it).

Don't take this the wrong way, but as I suggested to you at the Street Fighter class you need to get in shape period if you want to be able to keep up with any sort of dynamic training.

It wasn't the kit that was slowing you down.

Extra weight is extra weight, whether its on your body or on your kit. Start with basic weight loss exercises such as walking or jogging.

Legs are the foundation- try doing air squats. It'll help with all the underdeveloped muscles you don't use when you're at the office and is directly applicable to all the fire and movement drills you've mentioned. 10 sets of 10, no time constraint. Once you're able to do those without slowing down bump it up to 12/12 or 15/15, etc.

Push ups are another easy way to build up your arms and shoulders. Doesn't cost anything and can do them anywhere.

As others have stated doing sprints is another exercise that's relevant to what you're trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps.