PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone trained with Defensive Concepts NC?

GreyOps
08-19-09, 13:20
Does anyone know, or has anyone trained with, Defensive Concepts NC?

http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

custom-x_sponjah
08-20-09, 14:01
Ive been through 2 of their Rifle Classes and 1 Pistol Class.
The absolute best prices I have found for Defensive training period.
Top notch guys. Chris, Steve, and Paul each bring something unique to the table.
I love the way their classes flow, and the Final Drill's are always EYE OPENERS and always DIFFERENT.
You will leave the class with a tool-box full of Techniques and Drills to help you continue to train on your own.
I can truthfully say if it wasn't for their instruction I would not be as proficient with my firearms as I am today.
This did not just happen with one Class though, I took what they taught and retained that knowledge and apply it every time I shoot.
This has made me a better shooter all around. Competitively and Defensively.

CXS

GreyOps
08-20-09, 14:07
Have you trained anywhere else, as a comparison?

custom-x_sponjah
08-20-09, 14:36
I have taken a Pistol Class with a company out of the Ft. Bragg area.
This was a closed course, and I was invited. I paid for nothing out of pocket.
It was slow paced, and did not cover alot of material.
I would have rather paid for another class with DCNC.

As far as the big names, Vickers, Rogers, Howe, Haley, Costa.
I have not trained with them yet, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

CXS

GreyOps
08-20-09, 14:51
OK, thanks. I appreciate your input.

custom-x_sponjah
08-20-09, 15:42
There are a couple other members here that have taken multiple classes with DCNC.
I'll point them towards this thread.

CXS

coble0369
08-20-09, 19:59
I did a Defensive Carbine Class with Defensive Concepts. I had taken several Carbine courses prior to this one and it was just as good in terms of the material covered. If your looking for a knowledgeable group of instructors and a good training opportunity...I highly recommend them.

CPR
08-20-09, 23:24
Let me preface by saying I started to take training seriously a couple years ago. DCNC has (so far) been the only group I've paid for training.

I've taken two carbine classes with them, a defensive handgun and a low-light handgun class. I plan on taking a defensive shotgun class with them at some point in the future. I've got nothing but good things to say about Chris, Steve and Paul. I know it sounds like I'm blowing smoke up their ass, but I've gotten to know them pretty well in the few classes I've taken and honestly, they make you want to train more.

Chris is a apparently a training junky and he's trained with many of the top names in the industry. Steve and Paul are also highly knowledgeable and bring unique skills to the table as well.

One of the great things about DCNC is that they won't MAKE you do it their way, but ask you to try it out. They also encourage training with other companies. I like that attitude and it's one reason I'll be going back.

The classes I've taken are more oriented to civvies, but they incorporate a lot of stuff that works for all users (guy with HK 416 and full plates in my first class had a blast) and they freaking DRILL you during each phase of training. In the carbine class, expect box drills, modified Navy drills, etc., and a special "test". I've taken the same DCNC carbine class twice (along with some others) and they modified the class to include new material to keep it challenging. I learned about proper use of cover, shooting on the move, transitioning to the pistol (why and when), malfunction clearing, etc. DCNC also prides themselves in happily designing a class for your group's needs.

I'm not HSLD (or whatever the cool term is these days), but I help as an OPFOR participant in Robin Sage near Bragg and the training I've received from DCNC has helped me get through situations where an untrained person would be more prone to choke and fumble a mag change, crowd their cover/concealment or not know how to clear a type two malfunction.

Bottom line, you get a HELL of a lot of quality training from experienced people for the money.

GreyOps
08-21-09, 08:13
Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

fyeguy
08-25-09, 21:29
I've also taken multiple classes with Defensive Concepts, a couple of them with CXS and Strider. I can't say enough good things about the classes.... well run training that exceeded my expectations. Paul, Steve and Chris provide a great blend of experience, and as was mentioned above don't force students to do things exactly their way, but suggest you try several methods and find what works for you.

I've taken the Defensive Carbine twice, and learned something new each time. I'm actually taking the Basic Carbine in September just to get the chance to train with them again.

I'm definitely a low-speed type guy, but will say that what I've learned in the classes I've taken have helped immeasurably in my pistol and multi-gun competitions.

Now they just need to schedule a shotgun class.