PDA

View Full Version : Middle age strikes! I strike back (and introduce a powerlifting routine)...

Warg
08-19-09, 16:37
Greetings,

I'd like to formally introduce myself. I'm Gene, live in the Northwestern US and am a research scientist for a pharmaceutical company. Oh, and I have a wonderful wife and two dogs, BTW:D. I'm new to m4C/firearms and started assembling and collecting ARs this year (bad timing, I guess). I'm not new to fitness, however, and used to be an avid hiker, mountaineer, rock climber, biker, and powerlifter.

I used to be in fantastic shape in my early 20's. I could run two miles in 13 minutes, bench 535, squat 625, and run the 40 in 4.6 at a bodyweight of 242. Perhaps not the ideal body type for a Marine, but pretty healthy nonetheless.

Unfortunately, life sort of became complicated in my mid 20's going to graduate school (12 yrs of college), getting married, and working full-time. I became quite out of shape and stayed this way until age 39. Below is a 2003 pic of my sorry out of shape ass (and my wife) in Le Mans, France. It's probably the dorkiest photo I have of myself, but looking at it was motivation enough to get my butt back in shape.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/LeMans2003.jpg
Seriously dorky photo showing what years of neglect can do...I'm about 225 in this pic (and 5'11").

After getting back from this vacation, I started running, hiking, climbing and lifting. I'd typically run three miles every other day and five to six the other days. On weekends I'd do a couple of familiar hikes for time: one was three miles one way and 1,700' and the other three miles at 2,400' elevation gain. My lifting routine was based on the "big three" with accessory stuff and lots of core work.

I suffered a major shoulder injury while snow skiing in BC that resulted in a 3rd degree separation of my right clavicle. This pretty much put the weightlifting on hold, but I pressed on with the other activities.

After about eight months, I looked like this at age 40:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/CraterLake2005.jpg
Me and my wife at Crater Lake. She's getting in shape too.

Obligatory Pit Bull pic. This is Boris- an avid hiker too:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/Boris_OR_2005.jpg

A few more months of this routine and I managed to lose most of the weight I felt necessary. My clavicle had healed enough to begin lifting again so I did so using pain as my guide. My lifting routine incorporated the big three (or four if you include military presses), but using a progressive wave developed by former champion powerlifter Jim Wendler. This is called the “5,3,1 routine”.

In summary, you perform the military press, squat, deadlift, and bench press three or four days per week. You can incorporate other compound exercises, but these are the principal exercises the program is built upon. You do these for just three work sets, not including a thorough warm-up. Accessory work is incorporated as well, but again the focus is the main exercise of the day.

First you determined your current 1-rep maximum (1RM), and reduce it approximately 10%. Then use your 1RM to calculate your loads for a four-week wave.

Week one is three sets of five (3 x 5) on your major lift.
Week two is 3 x 3.
Week three is 5, 3, 1.
Week four is a deload week using lighter weights for recovery. for 3 x 5.

Each set is progressively heavier before but all are lower than your 1RM- even the single on week three. The percentages for each day are recommended by Wendler and work wonderfully. Additionally, for each of the first three weeks you perform as many reps as possible for the final set.

Got to www.elitefts.com and check it out. I’m not affiliated with this site of the authors, just reporting what has worked for me.

After one year of this program, my squat improved from 415 to 585 and bench from an injured 305 to 365.

In mid-2007 at age 42, I went from 215 to 235 and looked like this:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/Ireland.jpg

I started training for a drug-free powerlifting contest for shit's-n-grins and in the middle of my planned progression, badly injured my neck. This caused my right scapula (via the long thoracic nerve) to become completely paralyzed. The result was massive loss of strength in my right arm and shoulder. However, I pressed on and entered the contest anyway. I managed to bench 325 without a bench shirt/legal pause and deadlift 555. Not bad for being beat-up, I guess. During this entire time I kept running and started biking about 45 min to one hour per day.

By 2008 the nerve had healed approximately 95%. Then, in October I paralyzed the left thoracic nerve. I'm not kidding! I decided it was wise to spend lots of time rehabilitating my neck to prevent another injury.

As of July 2009, both nerves are about 95%. I don't think they'll get to 100%, but this is good enough. I'm about 235-240 now and can bench 415, squat 640 and deadlift 665. I need to spend more time on cardio and eating better. I think I've enough mass, so it's time to cut.

Here's a recent pic of the old man (44) doing shrugs with 745:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/Geneshrugs2007.jpg

Forearms getting a good workout:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn176/Dr_Wolfenstein/Misc/Picture007.jpg

So there it is. Mid life threw me into the corner and I came out and kicked its ass. And I've only just begun.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback- negative, positive/constructive. Don't worry, I can handle it :p

Mr.Goodtimes
08-19-09, 17:50
wow dude, congrats on turning your self around. you dont even look like the same guy between the first and last pics. looks like your lifts are doing great too, those are some great numbers!

cody0341
08-19-09, 19:20
the almight sport of powerlifting, There is nothing better!!!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/cody0341/l_a72ba5647f184286899ea48bc52f18df1.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/cody0341/l_4af2dbf1e8c74c2bba2ab8ce2df555651.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/cody0341/l_1abb5841dccb4e259be20541aab770f51.jpg

Abraxas
08-19-09, 19:33
Very impressive!!

Warg
08-19-09, 19:34
the almight sport of powerlifting, There is nothing better!!!

Right on!

Great pics & lifts!

Gene

Warg
08-19-09, 19:38
wow dude, congrats on turning your self around. you dont even look like the same guy between the first and last pics. looks like your lifts are doing great too, those are some great numbers!

Thanks a bunch!

The numbers aren't that great, but good for where I am in life and all of the injuries I've had. And I'm not really competing against anyone else but myself.

What I failed to mention, and this is critical, is how good I feel compared to five years ago.

G-

QuickStrike
08-20-09, 04:30
Awesome progress, thanks for posting this!

Do you have a link to that "5,3,1" routine? I can't seem to find it on the link.

Warg
08-20-09, 10:27
Awesome progress, thanks for posting this!

Do you have a link to that "5,3,1" routine? I can't seem to find it on the link.

Sure - and thanks!

Sorry about the link. You have to do some serious digging on that site to find the routine. It was initially posted in his training logs and now Jim and Elite FTS sells the program as a .pdf, but here's the program in a nutshell:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

The e-book/pdf is based on this, but offers more variety in routines from 1 day per week to four. I typically train with this method three days a week now and this works very well. I think the primary advantage this proram offers is a built in recovery phase. For years I was overtraining and the deload week seems to be the key. By the way, you can stagger your waves for the big three/four suring the same week, e.g., when you performing 5,3,1 reps for the bench wave, you can deload on squats, etc.

Your cardio can be incorporated the same way. I'll typically do my strenuous cardio on my lighter days or days when I'm not lifting.

Lastly, the warmups are critical. This is not, say, one set of 135 on squats before hitting the heavy weights. A typical warmup for a 500 lb 1 RM squat on a 3x5 day would look like this: barx20; 95x12; 135x12; 185x8; 225x8; 275x6-8; 315x6. Then 3x5: 375x5 (75%); 400x5 (80%); 425x5 (85%).

WillBrink
08-20-09, 12:06
By the way, you can stagger your waves for the big three/four suring the same week, e.g., when you performing 5,3,1 reps for the bench wave, you can deload on squats, etc.

To add, Jim W, and the guys at EliteFTS know their sh&^. For real. Jim W, Tate, etc are the DEVGRU of powerlifter/strength oriented trainers. I used their Prowler with the SWAT team I just finished working with (vids coming shortly) and it's the best overall gismo I have ever used.

Two, everyone on my forums who has done the 5,3,1 from Jim W has said universally positive things about it.

I have not done it personally however. ;)

CharlieMike
08-20-09, 12:30
Wow! This is super impressive.

As a side note, this puny guy is considering moving from 5.56 to 6.8spc! :)

Warg
08-20-09, 13:02
To add, Jim W, and the guys at EliteFTS know their sh&^. For real. Jim W, Tate, etc are the DEVGRU of powerlifter/strength oriented trainers. I used their Prowler with the SWAT team I just finished working with (vids coming shortly) and it's the best overall gismo I have ever used.

Two, everyone on my forums who has done the 5,3,1 from Jim W has said universally positive things about it.

I have not done it personally however. ;)

The Prowler, a.k.a. puke machine, rocks. It's one of the best devices for GPP I've ever used. A good friend of mine is a trainer for professional, olympic and college athletes and he incoporates the Prowler into all of their routines to great effect. Even the female rowers are pushing then damn thing around.

We need a Prowler thread...

QuickStrike
08-20-09, 17:04
Thanks for the link! I didn't go to the gym today. Stayed home to look at this routine. It will probably help my gains more, to use this rountine than waste my time doing the same things over and over...

My combined 3 is only 905 right now. Hope to get to 1,100 or so.

In summary, you perform the military press, squat, deadlift, and bench press three or four days per week.

Read this and thought, ALL 3 lifts THREE times a week? :eek: :D

Once again, thanks!

Irish
08-20-09, 17:22
Very inspirational change for alot of people and proof that it can be done! Nice Ferrari too ;)

Mr.Goodtimes
08-20-09, 18:12
Thanks a bunch!

The numbers aren't that great, but good for where I am in life and all of the injuries I've had. And I'm not really competing against anyone else but myself.

What I failed to mention, and this is critical, is how good I feel compared to five years ago.

G-

those numbers are nuts to me! im a 6ft 180 lb, idk wtf i am honestly. im not a crazy endurance athlete but im not super explosive either... i seem to have a pretty good balance of both. i got a lot of functional strength. my big goal is in the next couple of months, be able to squat 135lb 50 times.

A 600lb squad is insane to me lol.

Warg
08-20-09, 18:40
those numbers are nuts to me! im a 6ft 180 lb, idk wtf i am honestly. im not a crazy endurance athlete but im not super explosive either... i seem to have a pretty good balance of both. i got a lot of functional strength. my big goal is in the next couple of months, be able to squat 135lb 50 times.

A 600lb squad is insane to me lol.

Functional strength is certainly a good thing to have. I like the high rep goal. It's pretty difficult to breathe after lots and lots of reps on the squat. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do it. Every try box squats?

With respect to squatting 600, its just time under the bar, but it is quite fascinating re: the changes in the way the weight feels at each 90 lb. increment:

135 doesn't feel like anything to me
225 is light, but a bit annoying
315 and I'm just getting good and warm. This requires me to tighen up my core a bit
405 requires good concentration. The weight starts to feel heavy.
495 tends to compress my upper rib cage a bit and I have to work hard to breathe properly.
585 damn near knocks all of the air out of my lungs.
640 feels like 150 lbs. more than 585. Almost every muscle in my body trembles when I unrack this. I usually see stars during most of the lift and have actually passed out squatting this much! Thank goodness for power racks :eek:

Mr.Goodtimes
08-21-09, 12:30
Functional strength is certainly a good thing to have.

i wish i could squat that sorta weight, and DL like that but, i cant have both and, im in the process of preparing for BUD/s so, i can forget about getting to big.

Leg strength is something a lot of people neglect, its incredible how weak my legs have gotten lately. For the past year i've really neglected to do anything for them besides running and it shows.

Do you squat ass to grass or just down to parallel? in your opinion, is squatting past parallel bad for you?

Warg
08-24-09, 17:21
i wish i could squat that sorta weight, and DL like that but, i cant have both and, im in the process of preparing for BUD/s so, i can forget about getting to big.

Leg strength is something a lot of people neglect, its incredible how weak my legs have gotten lately. For the past year i've really neglected to do anything for them besides running and it shows.

Do you squat ass to grass or just down to parallel? in your opinion, is squatting past parallel bad for you?

It easy to neglect because it's a royal PITA :D Sadly, most folks I see in the gym can't even squat to parallel.

Funny story: We had a guy come into the gym several months ago bragging about how much his kid could squat and how he was a shoe-in to make University of Washington's football team. Intrigued, we invited the kid (with his stupid father) to come in for an evaluation. After a short warm-up of 1/4 squats wtih 135, the kid asks us to put 600 lbs. on the bar. We instruct him that he hasn't performed a proper warm-up and that he isn't squatting correctly. The father starts to get irate and asks us to let him proceed. Okay, we tell him, but he's at risk for an injury... So the kid does a 1/6th squat with 600 and follows it up with a huge scream while slamming the weight back on the rack. The father says "See, I told you he was strong." We were floored. My friend (the trainer) tells the kid and his father that the kid doesn't know what the hell he's doing and, if he plans on playing college ball, he better STFU and listen to folks who know better. The father gets pissed and plucks his kid out of the gym. Last we checked, the kid hasn’t even tried out for the team…

Anyhow, I used to squat ass to grass, but due to a severe ankle injury, I can only squat to about 2-3" below parallel. Ankle and hip flexibility is really important for good technique. I just don't have the flexibility in my right ankle any longer.

Squatting below parallel is not detrimental, rather the converse IF done correctly. The key is not to let your knees drift over your feet (sit back). For people that have trouble squatting, I strongly recommend box squats. You literally squat on a box with a pause at the bottom to break the concentric/eccentric chain. This really affects explosive power. Start at or slightly above parallel and work on your form. Upgrade to a lower box when your form is good. A camcorder really comes in handy if you don't have a workout partner.