PDA

View Full Version : Arizona/ Southwest Get Together

Iraqgunz
08-19-09, 17:40
Want to see if any of the M4 members in Arizona or the southwest want to get together. A few members have inquired about doing some type of armorer course and whatever else. If there is interest post it here and let's see what happens.

Other Mods. If this is not a good area please move as you feel appropriate.

Tom_Jones
08-19-09, 17:46
deleted

Honu
08-19-09, 17:47
would be cool for sure :)

and glad you are back home safe and sound :)

C-Fish
08-19-09, 18:16
I'm in...

Microwvbleturtle
08-19-09, 18:28
I'd definitely be up for a class once I got back.

Omega_556
08-19-09, 23:31
I'm interested, my schedule is tight but if possible I'm in...

Rider79
08-20-09, 05:02
I'm up for it, but I work on weekends, and that's when everyone else is free to do the fun stuff. :( I'd definitely be interested in a Glock and M4 armorer type course.

C4IGrant
08-20-09, 08:38
Let me know if you get this going IZ.

C4

Zhurdan
08-20-09, 08:48
Sure, but it'd depend on what time of year. Personally, I'd be a bit more interested in some shooting time over an armorers course. I live in Wyoming so it'll be a long hitch anywhere you have it but Nevada would be nice. hehe

tarkeg
08-20-09, 10:13
Another from NM that would be interested.

3CTactical
08-20-09, 10:47
Me and and a buddy or two are interested - of course, depending on schedule...

azidpa
08-20-09, 11:47
another "depending on when & where" here.

until that day

Mark

mechelaar
08-20-09, 12:52
another "depending on when & where" here.

until that day

Mark

Interested.

RancidSumo
08-20-09, 12:56
I live in Wyoming so it'll be a long hitch anywhere

Me too. I'm always a long way from anything interesting.

Zhurdan
08-20-09, 13:02
Me too. I'm always a long way from anything interesting.

Sounds like a carpool opportunity!

RancidSumo
08-20-09, 13:18
Definitely. I'd have to see when it is since school starts up next month but once a date gets set I'll see if I can swing it. What part of the state are you in?

Iraqgunz
08-20-09, 13:47
Grant,

Sounds good. As soon as I can figure out the logistics of when/ where.

Let me know if you get this going IZ.

C4

RancidSumo
08-20-09, 13:51
If it is going to be in Arizona, may I recommend that you hold it in the northern part of the state? I just got back from driving to Tucson and that was a long, boring, tedious drive (didn't help that I was in a U-Haul going 60mph the entire way)

Of course this would depend on where most people were coming from. I don't know if you would have more people from farther north or more from the Texas/New Mexico area.

Irish
08-20-09, 14:15
As per our original PM I'm definitely interested. I've been without a computer for the past week but I'll send you some more info ASAP. Thanks again!

JohnnyC
08-20-09, 17:26
Oh man this would be great! Only problem is I'm on tour 9 months out of the year :( I know I'll probably miss the first one but if we could do a summer get together I'd definitely be down!

K.L. Davis
08-21-09, 22:08
IG check your messages...

Irish
09-11-09, 11:26
IG - Just getting back on M4C the past couple of days after dealing with a few family emergencies. I'm working on securing a new position at a new company and will be traveling down in your area alot in the near future, so lunch or a couple beers :D, is on me and is a definite sometime soon.
How can I help coordinate or facilitate making this happen? Instead of everybody just throwing up a hand and saying "I'm in!" we need to come up with a curriculum and understand what people's expectations are prior to making this happen. Having someone drive from NV, CA, UT or NM and not getting what they would want out of a class would be pretty disappointing for that person after adding up time, gas, hotel, etc.
A few thoughts I have... for me personally I do not have the want/need to be a professional armorer so breaking down & rebuilding a BUIS is not top on my list. I was thinking more along the lines of a maintenance/upkeep class that delves a little deeper than the typical lube & shoot. This being the case for myself I also don't think investing alot of money in specialty tools is a wise decision when I can be purchasing practice ammo with that money. IG, I think your idea of a powerpoint show along with possibly a show & tell on some of the not so common issues would suffice without every person needing to purchase specialty micrometers and things of that nature.
Personally, my initial primary focus would be on the AR and Glock platforms as I tend to use these as my go to guns and I think alot of others have a similar mindset. I would like to have a professional armorer, in this case IraqGunz, help teach me how to how to diagnose and repair malfunctions, perform function inspections, check headspace, etc. A few other things might be:

•Clearance procedures, load & unloading procedures
•Field stripping the rifle
•Function check
•Gas operating system
•Cycle of operation
•Difference between semi-automatic and automatic parts
•Legal barrel length with or without a permanent flash suppressor
•Disassemble and assemble lower receiver group to include stock
•Disassemble and assemble bolt carrier group
•Disassemble and assemble upper receiver group
•Bullet trajectory and battle sight zero
•Headspacing
•Barrel replacement
•Cleaning, maintenance, and lubrication

Sorry about the long winded post. If you are really interested in learning more and participating in a class please provide some input that will be beneficial to making this happen. Also, what can you do to help make this happen?

Stay safe!

armakraut
09-11-09, 16:25
I'm not exactly a professional armorer, but I'm down for anything I could learn from a professional with regards to AR's. Shooting, field maintenance, wrenching on 'em, etc.

Rider79
09-11-09, 18:03
I'm up for something similar to what irish is describing.

Zhurdan
09-11-09, 18:05
What... no Wyoming people allowed? ;);)

I'd be up for some training, but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.

Irish
09-11-09, 18:09
I'm up for something similar to what irish is describing.

We could always carpool when all the kinks get worked out :D

Rider79
09-11-09, 18:09
but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.

That too.

Irish
09-11-09, 18:11
What... no Wyoming people allowed? ;);)

I'd be up for some training, but I'd like the louder variety more than classroom type stuff myself.

Zhurdan - I'm hoping for a 1st time SW get together that we'd start out with people learning the weapon platform first and then hopefully we can all get back together and start some louder training ;) Building blocks... And Wyoming's definitely invited!

Rider79
09-11-09, 18:11
We could always carpool when all the kinks get worked out :D

True, but I'm sure my shitty schedule will get in the way.

Chuck
09-11-09, 20:26
May I suggest:
http://www.gunsitelodge.com/homepage.html

It is adjacent to Gunsite.

It's inexpensive. 16 beds. Mild climate. 4800ft elevation.
And it might be possible to gain permission to use the on-site range.

longtalltechsan
09-11-09, 22:15
I would be up for this depending on when and where.

MarshallDodge
09-11-09, 23:31
I am interested. It just depends on where and when.