PDA

View Full Version : Got a job offer from SOC

panzerr
08-20-09, 06:53
About ten months ago I had applied with several companies with contracts OCONUS. Despite follow-ups, I hadn't heard much until a few days ago when I received a job offer from SOC. They wish to fly me out for training/evaluation next week and want me to fly to Iraq the week after. My job would be to train TCNs for security operations. It should be a fobbit job, which would be just fine with me since I had spent 16 months as an infantryman in Iraq and don't feel the desire to deal with IEDs anymore.

Despite already being set up with the VA's vocational Rehabilitarion program and already having been accepted to Chiropractic school I am seriously considering the offer. It's been two years since I came home from Iraq and part of me feels I need to go back to close a few doors. I would also like to open a few with SOC and possibly other companies.

Has anyone had any poor experiences with SOC as an employer? I wouldn't want to drop everything to work for a company that isn't concerned about taking care of their people. Any other words of wisdom or things I should be aware of?

Iraq Ninja
08-20-09, 07:11
SOC is ok, but not one of the big players.

Remember that there is no job security in Security Contracting. Teaching LNs is good work. Not as interesting as PSD, but not as boring as static security.

Things are very different in Iraq now. Hell, the locals basically run the Green Zone now.

The industry has become a bit streamlined now, with many companies fading from view.

BW is gone from here as of Aug 4th. It is all TC and Dyn doing the WPPS stuff.

Don't forget about the Brit companies.

ryanm
08-20-09, 11:22
In my experience, there are very few companies that give consideration to taking care of their people here. There are exceptions, I'm happy I found one of them. I've seen some of the worst of this in the last year with several companies actively trying to eliminate their high skill set/high compensation work force to bring on Junior engineers but slap them into Senior/Principle level positions for half the pay.

Also, most of us are not allowed primary care in the Iraq AOR, even if your orders say you are. You will simply be turned away. This makes becoming sick while down range a serious problem when you can't go to the TMC for health care. There is one private Doctor/US Board Certified on Camp Liberty, but I haven't been over there to check it out.

Also, is the week your talking about CRC or something they have setup? You'll have to go through CRC as well in addition to whatever training they have for you. (another week at Benning, Bliss or LeJune)

If I were you, I would continue with your Chiropractic school course of action. This situation is too fluid and has too many holes in the bottom to fall through here in Iraq. Afghanistan would be a better more secure option.

You are far better off with the vocational rehabilitation training, its a better long term option in every way. You'll be setup for a better life.

Iraqgunz
08-20-09, 13:49
Panzerr,
I'll PM later. I worked for them in 2006-07.

panzerr
08-20-09, 13:54
I'm not making any hasty decisions, but I am certainly entertaining this option. Pay isn't what I expect, but it isn't all about pay. Thanks for the input.

mike benedict
08-20-09, 14:00
A friend of mine has been with SOC for 5 years
He is in Iraq doing TCN training now.
He really likes his job

I know a bunch of guys on the training side of SOC I have never heard a bad word on SOC from any of them

Mike