PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull woes

bobafett
08-20-09, 18:05
Hi, years ago I took my Bushmaster M4 and did the 15 minute trigger job. I have shot it for several years without a hitch. Recently I got my 1st light strike so I started doubting the reliability of my rifle. I bought new trigger and hammer springs from Falcon Industries (Ergo Grips) They just released a lower spring kit... And I bought a Wolff Extra Power Hammer spring, just in case the 'Ergo' spring was not full power.

First I tried the Wolff hammer spring with the Ergo trigger spring. I never remember the trigger being so heavy :eek: So I tried the Ergo Hammer spring... Just as heavy... WTF?

So I measured the springs. The factory Bushmaster Hammer spring is of .044' wire The Wolff Extra Power spring is .0465" wire and the Ergo hammer spring is .0475" wire... :eek:

Without a weight scale all I can say is I can hold the rifle by the trigger and dangle it and it won't fire. I still have to put downward pressure to trip the hammer while dangling the rifle by the trigger.

Is the OE trigger pull on a single stage supposed to be this heavy?

Would you suggest I take the Heavier gauge hammer spring and clip one leg like the 15 minute trigger job and go back to that style spring set up or would the JP spring kit work for me without having light strikes?

Col_Crocs
08-20-09, 18:35
You might want to try JP first. You might also want to look into polishing your trigger and hammer for a smoother pull. -- gives the feeling of a softer pull.

bobafett
08-20-09, 19:00
You might want to try JP first. You might also want to look into polishing your trigger and hammer for a smoother pull. -- gives the feeling of a softer pull.

As for polishing it's already been polished as far as I dare. These are only surface hardened right?

The trouble is the positive deflection of the trigger & hammer. When you pull the trigger it's actually cocking the hammer even farther.

bluedog
08-20-09, 22:20
SSA. I don't mess with my triggers.

Col_Crocs
08-21-09, 01:07
The trouble is the positive deflection of the trigger & hammer. When you pull the trigger it's actually cocking the hammer even farther.
Im no expert on this and Im merely speaking from what I can analyze and picture in my mind from your statement above... I have no way of confirming my thoughts without handling it myself but will give it a shot. :D
It may be caused by the stiffer springs having so much tension that youre getting more push on your disconnector spring, thus, giving you the longer trigger dwell feeling.
I suggest trying a standard spring set to see if still has as much tension. I think youre getting a huge diff in feel because you jumped from a modified standard set (which I personally dont think you should do again.) to an extra power set.

Eric
08-21-09, 01:16
Is the OE trigger pull on a single stage supposed to be this heavy?
Yes...normal.