PDA

View Full Version : Ever had your words come back to haunt you?

exiledtoIA
08-21-09, 00:50
My lady has her own black rifle now. Got it today.
DPMS Classic Panther 16.
I knew she was interested in getting one, since I taught her to shoot she has
shot my colt a number of times. Lately she has been talking about getting one
that would be "hers".
I've always told her, for that matter everyone I've introduced to shooting, listen to experts, but get what feels right for you.
Example: i don't own a Glock, don't have anything against them mechanically,
but they don't fit my hand comfortably. Not like a 1911A1 or a HiPower.
I figureg Hallie would get a colt because that's what she learned on, instead she got the panther because it "felt better". How can I argue against her doing what i told her.
oh well, i suppose it can be a learning gun and then relagated to a plinker/loaner.
JDT

DragonDoc
08-21-09, 01:07
You forgot to tell her that sometimes things feel right but we all know that quality is what you want in the long run.

Where in IA do you live? I spent four years on Rock Island Arsenal sandwiched between Moline, IL and Davenport, IA. That area was a great place to be stationed. The people up that way are real Americans.

exiledtoIA
08-21-09, 01:28
We're in Des Moines.
She's native, I'm from Nebraska.
NEVER tell a Husker joke in public in NE.
No matter how funny ( or true ) it is.

Dunderway
08-21-09, 01:30
My lady has her own black rifle now. Got it today.
DPMS Classic Panther 16.
I knew she was interested in getting one, since I taught her to shoot she has
shot my colt a number of times. Lately she has been talking about getting one
that would be "hers".
I've always told her, for that matter everyone I've introduced to shooting, listen to experts, but get what feels right for you.
Example: i don't own a Glock, don't have anything against them mechanically,
but they don't fit my hand comfortably. Not like a 1911A1 or a HiPower.
I figureg Hallie would get a colt because that's what she learned on, instead she got the panther because it "felt better". How can I argue against her doing what i told her.
oh well, i suppose it can be a learning gun and then relagated to a plinker/loaner.
JDT

Oh well, what's done is done. Don't harp on her about her purchase, and if things break explain to her why. Feel lucky that you have a lady that you can talk guns with.

PS: buy her a BCM or LMT BCG and stake her castle nut.;)

Blob
08-21-09, 01:38
We're in Des Moines.
She's native, I'm from Nebraska.
NEVER tell a Husker joke in public in NE.
No matter how funny ( or true ) it is.

Psh, I do it all the time! What's the worst that can happen? Having your buddies duct tape you to a pole in the basement and leave you there overnight?

Long story....:eek:

exiledtoIA
08-21-09, 01:41
Dunderway, I'm not going to say anything negative to her. It's her gun, I figure
she can learn from it and we'll upgrade when SHE is ready for it.
Considering that she could have been a poster child for the Brady people
4 years ago I'm happy that she was confident enough to buy the gun by herself.
it's her first unassissted purchase.
i will be honest, this one seems to have abetter fit than most DPMS pieces I've seen. It's going to the range this weekend, we'll see how it works.

Dunderway
08-21-09, 01:52
Dunderway, I'm not going to say anything negative to her. It's her gun, I figure
she can learn from it and we'll upgrade when SHE is ready for it.
Considering that she could have been a poster child for the Brady people
4 years ago I'm happy that she was confident enough to buy the gun by herself.
it's her first unassissted purchase.
i will be honest, this one seems to have abetter fit than most DPMS pieces I've seen. It's going to the range this weekend, we'll see how it works.

Good deal. Not all DPMS guns go belly up. If it proves itself as reliable, and she wants to take a course or use it for HD, then you could do some easy PM and be good to go. Have fun!

Caeser25
08-21-09, 07:04
Good deal. Not all DPMS guns go belly up. If it proves itself as reliable, and she wants to take a course or use it for HD, then you could do some easy PM and be good to go. Have fun!

or you could check gunbroker and see what new dpms uppers go for and if it's reasonable, switch the upper out for a BCM or LMT w/o her knowing;)

geminidglocker
08-21-09, 07:36
Wanna' here something funny? My first AR was a DPMS. It had a properly staked carrier key. Never had any issues with this gun. Owned it for a year,3000rds. thru it. Sold it and bought an Armalite. Carrier key was untouched, let alone staked. Now that I've been coming here for awhile I have learned to build my own rifles. Congratulations to you on being lucky enough to have a wife/girlfriend that shares your appreciation of firearms.

ejeffreyhorn
08-21-09, 09:53
If we are confessing...

In the mid-90's - waaayyy before I was interested in shooting - I was visiting with some relatives who are rabid hunters/shooters and lifelong NRA supporters. There was some discussion and griping around the table about the assault weapons ban.

My comment: "There is no good reason why anyone needs an assault rifle."

Fast forward to Christmas 2006 while visiting the same relatives and I announce that I am the new owner of an AR. Every one of those guys remembered that comment. Thankfully, they weren't too hard on me. In retrospect, I probably deserved it.

EJH

Artos
08-21-09, 10:11
My wedding day

I Do!!

...just kidding baby:) Luv ya!!

tylerw02
08-21-09, 10:21
With the same grip and stock, I don't know how much different they could feel. Leave it to a woman ;)

At least she's a shooter and not afraid of the EBRs. I'm in the process of building my g/f an AR myself. She saw a picture of a pink Sun Devil one day when she was browsing online and she has to have one. For what it's worth, she said she likes the feel of my Colt 6920 with carry-handle better than my CMMG wearing an Aimpoint.

bobafett
08-21-09, 13:48
My wedding day

I Do!!

...just kidding baby:) Luv ya!!

LOL 1st thing I thought of when I read the title

Pro2AInPA
08-21-09, 13:55
How did it feel any different than the Colt? ARs basically "feel" the same, unless the stock is different or something . . . ..

A Glock vs a 1911 I can see the "feel" argument, but with ARs? :confused:

Blob
08-21-09, 14:38
How did it feel any different than the Colt? ARs basically "feel" the same, unless the stock is different or something . . . ..

A Glock vs a 1911 I can see the "feel" argument, but with ARs? :confused:

I wonder if the DPMS was an HBAR.:confused:

Icculus
08-21-09, 14:39
and stake her castle nut.;)

Why does this sound so dirty, lol.

Be happy you've got a nice lady to shoot guns with. Enjoy.

BIGUGLY
08-21-09, 15:50
Welcome to the Des Moines Metro. its not so bad and just remember Lincoln is only three hours, short drive for a Huskers game. GO HUSKERS, sorry had to do it.

I bought a Superior Arms Mid-length, good price and everything was staked correctly. Small company but built right and good customer service. Plus if she is just using it as a plinker or range toy it will most likely work just fine.

A-Bear680
08-21-09, 16:10
Don't take it too hard. I bought my wife a CMMG 14.5 pencil barrel middie for Christmas a couple of years ago. I should have picked something further left on the chart. It runs OK now -- after some homework here.

Dunderway
08-21-09, 18:27
Why does this sound so dirty, lol.

Be happy you've got a nice lady to shoot guns with. Enjoy.

A couple of crude jokes came to mind while I was writing that, but I decided to keep it clean. :D

exiledtoIA
08-21-09, 18:44
With the same grip and stock, I don't know how much different they could feel. Leave it to a woman ;)

At least she's a shooter and not afraid of the EBRs. I'm in the process of building my g/f an AR myself. She saw a picture of a pink Sun Devil one day when she was browsing online and she has to have one. For what it's worth, she said she likes the feel of my Colt 6920 with carry-handle better than my CMMG wearing an Aimpoint.

Shorter barrel and mine has a surefire on the front end. makes the balance different, plus she's only 5'4" tall and kind of topheavy. Apparently the sling i have pokes her when she shoulders it.
She used to be terrified of ALL firearms, had never handled one, didn't know anyone who did. Basically got all her info from TV and movies so she knew that all
firearms would throw a human completely across a room in little pieces if you hit them in the little finger or ankle.
I'm very proud of her, she was at least able to admit and overcome her ignorance
and learn.

exiledtoIA
08-21-09, 19:00
or you could check gunbroker and see what new dpms uppers go for and if it's reasonable, switch the upper out for a BCM or LMT w/o her knowing;)

Caeser25, not a chance! It's her rifle and as she pointed out, I have to sleep sometime.
This one will be a learner and eventually end up as a closet queen/loaner.
or she'll be happy with it and it will work on the range.
For HD/SSS she has the 870 in 20ga. backed up by a HiPower with a Marlin Camp 9 carbine for a chaser.

A-Bear680
08-21-09, 19:09
Shorter barrel and mine has a surefire on the front end. makes the balance different, plus she's only 5'4" tall and kind of topheavy. Apparently the sling i have pokes her when she shoulders it.
She used to be terrified of ALL firearms, had never handled one, didn't know anyone who did. Basically got all her info from TV and movies so she knew that all
firearms would throw a human completely across a room in little pieces if you hit them in the little finger or ankle.
I'm very proud of her, she was at least able to admit and overcome her ignorance
and learn.
Very cool that she got past her fear , you must have been a good coach who earned her trust .
The additional weight out toward the muzzle makes a huge difference to a petite female. It can throw her stance completely off. A buttstock that's too long can create another stance problem.

exiledtoIA
08-23-09, 11:46
We took her EBR to the range this morning.
I will admit to being pleasently surprised. Only problems were some FTF,
problem solved by pulling that particular magazine from the lineup.
No jams, no FTE, it just worked steadily.
Accuracy was not bad 1.75-2" with iron sights at 100 yards.
Pretty sure when we find the right ammo and get her some optics that
will get smaller.
300 rounds downrange, all the spare ammo I had on hand, told her when she
gets more we'll go back. She's off to Scheels and probably Sportsmans as well.
While I don't think I would trust the gun in a serious social situation just yet there
may be something to this DPMS.
Time will tell.

halo2304
08-23-09, 17:31
I guess it's up to me to ask the most important question...

...she got a sister?! :D

My Stag has been pretty reliable. My only issue has been the bolt failing to hold open after the last round. I'm not sure what the cause was but it's only happened a few times. It happened with an older Colt mag as well as a new PMag. :confused:

exiledtoIA
08-23-09, 20:25
I guess it's up to me to ask the most important question...

...she got a sister?! :D

My Stag has been pretty reliable. My only issue has been the bolt failing to hold open after the last round. I'm not sure what the cause was but it's only happened a few times. It happened with an older Colt mag as well as a new PMag. :confused:

Yes she does. She should be out on parole in 18 months or so.
As to the mag, it was one I picked at a gun show. One of those bulk purchase deals. If I remember right I got 25 mags for $75.00, figured I could part them out mix and match and still be ahead on the deal. Most of them were a little scuffed but work fine.
It was my fault, I didn't have that one in the salvage box.
Like I said, once we pulled it her rifle went fine.