PDA

View Full Version : STI Trojan 9mm

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 16:07
I have been watching various gun forums and been seeing a lot of interest in 9mm 1911's. I don't know if it is because they are now legal in IDPA or what, but the interest is growing. So I set out on a quest to find the most reliable and affordable 9mm 1911's and I think I have found it with the STI Trojan.

It took about 2 months and change to get my order of these. Having never really handled a STI 1911, I would say that I am fairly impressed (especially for the price). The guns come with one 9rd mag made by Metal Form and a hard case. Additional mags are easy to get and are fairly priced.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/STI/Trojan%209mm.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/STI/Trojan%209mm%20slide%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/STI/MM%209mm%20Mag.jpg

Chris_C
02-06-07, 16:23
Ok...I'll bite the carrot...what is the end users cost?

RyanS
02-06-07, 16:28
I've handled these and I like them. A little more disposable income and one will be placed on my short list.

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 16:40
Ok...I'll bite the carrot...what is the end users cost?

$980.

C4

rhino
02-06-07, 17:37
I have several buddies who have them (including one long slide) and they're all excellent, reliable guns. They're a good value too.

SuicideHz
02-06-07, 17:46
How did you come to finding that these are most reliable and affordable?

Just curious.

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 18:02
How did you come to finding that these are most reliable and affordable?

Just curious.

I did a lot of reading online and looked for people with problems regarding STI 1911's and in particular, their 9mm models. I then discussed the STI's with a couple pistolsmiths I know and trust and they advised me that STI makes one of the best production 1911's on the market today.

The other good thing about STI, is that they use the Metal Form 9mm mags. These are the most reliable 1911 9mm mags on the market today.

C4

rhino
02-06-07, 18:16
There are only two serious players in the factory 9mm 1911 market right now: STI and Springfield Armory.

If you happen to get a good Springfield, you're good to go. The think is, in my opinion based on a couple of years of shooting matches and seeing a lot of similar guns, it's more likely to get a good one from STI. I think the STI is a bit more refined in terms of fit and finish as well, and their internal parts are first rate.

Re: magazines . . . the actual "best" 9mm magazines right now are made by Metalform, but they are the Springfield/Metalform mags designed by Rob Leatham. The have the crease running down the front of the mag tube and a small ramp on the follower itself. By contrast, the other Metalform 9mm mags (as supplied with the STI guns) have a spacer on the inside of the tube. The latter works okay in a gun that is well built, but the former pushes the reliability a bit further. Downside is that the Springfield/Metalform mags are spendy unless you buy them with the coupon you get with a Springfield gun.

I've also had decent luck with Mec-Gar 9mm mags, but I've not been able to find a combination of springs to get them to lock the gun open when empty. In general, it's a very tricky balancing act to get a 9mm 1911 to run 100% and lock open on an empty magazine, so it's probably not worth of a lot of effort unless you shoot IDPA or some other game where you need it to lock open when it's empty.

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 18:26
There are only two serious players in the factory 9mm 1911 market right now: STI and Springfield Armory.

If you happen to get a good Springfield, you're good to go. The think is, in my opinion based on a couple of years of shooting matches and seeing a lot of similar guns, it's more likely to get a good one from STI. I think the STI is a bit more refined in terms of fit and finish as well, and their internal parts are first rate.

Re: magazines . . . the actual "best" 9mm magazines right now are made by Metalform, but they are the Springfield/Metalform mags designed by Rob Leatham. The have the crease running down the front of the mag tube and a small ramp on the follower itself. By contrast, the other Metalform 9mm mags (as supplied with the STI guns) have a spacer on the inside of the tube. The latter works okay in a gun that is well built, but the former pushes the reliability a bit further. Downside is that the Springfield/Metalform mags are spendy unless you buy them with the coupon you get with a Springfield gun.

I've also had decent luck with Mec-Gar 9mm mags, but I've not been able to find a combination of springs to get them to lock the gun open when empty. In general, it's a very tricky balancing act to get a 9mm 1911 to run 100% and lock open on an empty magazine, so it's probably not worth of a lot of effort unless you shoot IDPA or some other game where you need it to lock open when it's empty.

The mags I got with the STI and the ones I ordered from STI are like the ones you describe that come with the Springers.

C4

rhino
02-06-07, 18:38
The mags I got with the STI and the ones I ordered from STI are like the ones you describe that come with the Springers.

Ah-HAH! That's a good thing, then. The photos you posted show the other, though, and all of my friends and acquaintences who bought STIs got mags like those in your photo (or maybe Mec-Gars even).

All the better for future customers.

For those who don't see a need for a 9mm 1911 ... if you shoot a lot and choose not to reload, you can save a lot of money by shooting factory 9mm ball. They work as well in defensive shooting classes as they do in IDPA and USPSA matches.

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 18:44
Ah-HAH! That's a good thing, then. The photos you posted show the other, though, and all of my friends and acquaintences who bought STIs got mags like those in your photo (or maybe Mec-Gars even).

All the better for future customers.

For those who don't see a need for a 9mm 1911 ... if you shoot a lot and choose not to reload, you can save a lot of money by shooting factory 9mm ball. They work as well in defensive shooting classes as they do in IDPA and USPSA matches.

Hmmm, the pic posted is the mag that came with the weapon. In the pic below (which is of Springfield 9mm Metalform mag) the followers are the same. So I wonder if they didn't put the better follower in all their mags now??

My wife is going to get into shooting IDPA and I thought that this would be an excellent weapon for her to use.

C4

http://home.mindspring.com/~colt45acp/gun/9mm_mag1.jpg

rhino
02-06-07, 18:51
Hmmm, the pic posted is the mag that came with the weapon. In the pic below (which is of Springfield 9mm Metalform mag) the followers are the same. So I wonder if they didn't put the better follower in all their mags now??

Good question . . . getting rid of old stock, maybe? Maybe it only makes a difference in the tubes with the dent in the front instead of the spacer in the back?

In any case, we know which additional mags to get, regardless of what comes with the gun. If it comes with a Springfield/Metalform, all the better!

My wife is going to get into shooting IDPA and I thought that this would be an excellent weapon for her to use.

Good for her. With factory ball, it's kind of like shooting a .22 conversion. You can concentrate on the fundamentals of marksmanship with far less tendency to flinch. I know my shooting with my .45s has improved since I started shooting the majority with my 9mm.

And as you know, you can also tailor a 1911 to fit just about any size of hands. The STIs come with thin grip panels, so if she has short fingers and/or small hands, all you'll need is a short trigger (which they will probably do at the factory).

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 19:02
Good question . . . getting rid of old stock, maybe? Maybe it only makes a difference in the tubes with the dent in the front instead of the spacer in the back?

In any case, we know which additional mags to get, regardless of what comes with the gun. If it comes with a Springfield/Metalform, all the better!

Good for her. With factory ball, it's kind of like shooting a .22 conversion. You can concentrate on the fundamentals of marksmanship with far less tendency to flinch. I know my shooting with my .45s has improved since I started shooting the majority with my 9mm.

And as you know, you can also tailor a 1911 to fit just about any size of hands. The STIs come with thin grip panels, so if she has short fingers and/or small hands, all you'll need is a short trigger (which they will probably do at the factory).

So far, the mags that come with the STI run great. I think as long as you get a MF mag, you are GTG.

I think the thin grips fit her well, but might need to go with a shorter trigger. I might also add a S&A speed chute.

C4

Dport
02-06-07, 19:36
That's the only way I'll own a 1911.

I got rid of everything that wasn't 9mm, 5.56, .22lr and 12ga. Except for unique firearms, of course.

Obiwan
02-06-07, 19:42
I have owned both a .45 and a 9mm trojan

Both were excellent weapons...very accurate and reliable

The 9mm would occaisonally not lock back on the last round

But other than that...and the tightest bushings I have ever seen

They were good to go

Paulinski
02-06-07, 22:36
Grant

Looks like you found a real gem here :) I have a Trojan 5.0 in .45ACP. Its got an adjustable night sights and ambi safety:D

I just ordered its twin brother 9mm Trojan equipped exacly like the .45

I really like the frame/slide fit and overall fit and finish.

Paul

C4IGrant
02-07-07, 08:16
Grant

Looks like you found a real gem here :) I have a Trojan 5.0 in .45ACP. Its got an adjustable night sights and ambi safety:D

I just ordered its twin brother 9mm Trojan equipped exacly like the .45

I really like the frame/slide fit and overall fit and finish.

Paul

Thanks. They are a high quality 1911 for not a lot of Coin.

C4

Sam
02-07-07, 08:26
A friend of mine bought a Trojan 9mm as a back up to his Nowlin 9mm 1911. While the Trojan doesn't have the nice checkering, custom fitted parts and nice blue finish like the Nowlin, it shoot as good or even better than the Nowlin. The factory trigger on the condom gun felt every bit as crisp as the Nowlin and is as accurate. The price is the best part. He now likes the condom pistol more than the custom job. I've shot both of his 9mms and I agree with his assessment.

RyanS
02-07-07, 08:31
So Grant...are you going to become a STI dealer?

C4IGrant
02-07-07, 15:34
So Grant...are you going to become a STI dealer?

Already am! :D I have the above Trojans in stock in both 9mm and 45.

C4

subzero
02-07-07, 18:38
But can I get it with fixed sights (preferably Heinies)?

rhino
02-07-07, 21:40
Grant ... are you going to stock the Spartan too? You should be able to sell the crap outta those things. They are a fantastic value.

Paulinski
02-07-07, 22:14
For anyone looking to get the commander sized 1911 the Ranger II fits the bill perfectly. Bull barrel, recoilmaster makes one of the softest shooting 1911.

Grant are you listening?:D

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 07:51
But can I get it with fixed sights (preferably Heinies)?

They do offer fixed sights, but not Heinies.

C4

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 07:52
Grant ... are you going to stock the Spartan too? You should be able to sell the crap outta those things. They are a fantastic value.

No as they are not actually made by STI and appear to be junk.

C4

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 07:52
For anyone looking to get the commander sized 1911 the Ranger II fits the bill perfectly. Bull barrel, recoilmaster makes one of the softest shooting 1911.

Grant are you listening?:D

I have heard that they are very good and will look into them.

C4

davemcdonald
02-08-07, 09:28
Grant
Have you looked at the STI Lawman? I shot a brown and tan Lawman 45 last weekend and was very impressed. The cheesy ergo type grips had been replaced with coyote Gunners and it was a nice piece.

The new Sig 1911 that I shot, the same day, malfuctioned at least once per magazine. I am a Sig fan but I would take the STI Lawman over the Sig 1911 anyday.

Dave

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 09:45
Grant
Have you looked at the STI Lawman? I shot a brown and tan Lawman 45 last weekend and was very impressed. The cheesy ergo type grips had been replaced with coyote Gunners and it was a nice piece.

The new Sig 1911 that I shot, the same day, malfuctioned at least once per magazine. I am a Sig fan but I would take the STI Lawman over the Sig 1911 anyday.

Dave

I have looked at them and think they are very nice as well. I still don't think that SIG has figured out how to make a 1911.

C4

Paulinski
02-08-07, 09:54
For me its any caliber Trojan and Ranger II :)

RyanS
02-08-07, 11:11
Grant,

What would a Lawman run?

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 11:35
Grant,

What would a Lawman run?

$1050.

C4

rhino
02-08-07, 12:50
No as they are not actually made by STI and appear to be junk.

All of the internal parts are STI. Barrel and frame (and maybe slide) are Armscor. I have to disagree that they are "junk." They're well made, functional pistols that are an excellent value at their price point.

Of course, it's your choice whether to sell them or not. I was (and am) not trying to debate or convince you of anything, just asking whether or not you intended to stock and sell them.

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 12:54
All of the internal parts are STI. Barrel and frame (and maybe slide) are Armscor. I have to disagree that they are "junk." They're well made, functional pistols that are an excellent value at their price point.

Of course, it's your choice whether to sell them or not. I was (and am) not trying to debate or convince you of anything, just asking whether or not you intended to stock and sell them.

The slide, frame and barrel are Armscor. This is about the worst name in 1911's. I am also not convinced that ALL the internals are STI. There have been several reports of issues with this 1911's.

I will give these some time and see how they do. Maybe I will pick them up in the future, but will need to see a lot of reviews first.

C4

subzero
02-09-07, 13:27
They do offer fixed sights, but not Heinies.

So I got off my ass and checked out the STI website.

http://www.stiguns.com/Products/index.php?pid=123

That'll do. Please PM a price for a Trojan in 9mm with fixed sights. Then I can sell this SA 38 Super that I'll never get around to converting.

I may even be able to talk myself into it despite the front serrations and TROJAN billboard on the side. :D