PDA

View Full Version : upcoming EAG carbine course: chest rig or keep all of the mags on the belt

gt5966b
08-21-09, 18:46
So i'm taking an EAG course in Sept and am deliberating on where/how to carry the requisite 4 mags. I've got a chest rig, but am inclined to err on the side of simplicity. That said, is a holster/glock19, 2 pistol mags and 4 rifle mags to much for one belt. i've loaded it up and walked around with belt on, but its really no substitute for the movement experienced in class.

some equipment details:

ICE molle belt
ICE double pistol pouch
Safariland ALS holster
2 * HSGI double rifle mags (stacked)

Eagle SKD 4 mag chest rig

your experiences/thoughts/etc? Thanks in advance.

Treehopr
08-21-09, 20:15
I've tāken several of Pat's courses and think you'll have an easier time with the SKD chest rig.

FWIW- I've used that rig in his classes with no problems. I keep 2 pistol mags in the vest and use the other 2 for a multi-tool and a small bottle of lube. I usually run 4 AR mags and sometimes plus up to 8 depending on the drill.

Your belt rig sounds good except for the HSGI pouches, if they're the ones I'm thinking of your mags are going to be flopping around. Especialy when you move in and out of different positions or start shooting on the move.

You're off to a good start, let us know how the class goes and if your gear works out.

rob_s
08-22-09, 06:47
Agree with Tree. I have three of Pat's classes under my belt, with #4 this December.

IMHO 3 magazines on the belt is a lot. Two is about the limit. I have pretty much gone to running the handgun off the belt, and the carbine off the chest.

You may find some of this helpful
Load Carriage for Training Classes (http://tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/56227.html)

Be careful not to confuse simplicity of gear with simplicity of action. Yes, on the surface it seems like having one item (the belt) carry all your gear is "simpler" in terms of gear, but having two (belt and chest rig) typically winds up being simpler in terms of action.

gt5966b
08-22-09, 15:33
Tree / Rob - thanks for the input. consider your advice heeded. this is my first carbine class so i'm hoping that i'll get a lot out of it. i'll post up an AAR in the training forums.

hijacking my own thread a bit here, but what kind of footwear do guys typically wear in a carbine class. i've got my old issued boots, but not sure if that will be the most comfortable. sneakers or combat boots?

chadbag
08-22-09, 16:26
I am a neophyte at this, but I took Pats 3 day class in AZ this past March and then a LAV 2 day class in Oregon in May. These were my first rifle classes in 10 years.

Since I sell the stuff I used the BFG SOC-C padded belt. I put 2 pistol mags on this and two ITW FastMags for rifle mags. I also have a Tactical Tailor mini-MAV chest thing with 3 rifle mags and 1 pistol mag. Depending on the drill I also would stick a loaded mag behind the 3 mags on the chest and it would be my first mag in the rifle. I had some extra pistol mags on a high riding Eagle thigh rig for my handgun that I would use to "recharge" the left side belt mags.

It sounds like a lot but I did not ever want to be without mags/ammo during a drill or be "that guy" who always had to reload so I would rather have a few extra mags on my body than be distracted by mag issues and miss something of become "that guy."

It worked for me.

chadbag
08-22-09, 16:29
Tree / Rob - thanks for the input. consider your advice heeded. this is my first carbine class so i'm hoping that i'll get a lot out of it. i'll post up an AAR in the training forums.

hijacking my own thread a bit here, but what kind of footwear do guys typically wear in a carbine class. i've got my old issued boots, but not sure if that will be the most comfortable. sneakers or combat boots?

Depends on your boots. My 5.11 HRT boots I bought are a lot better than my sneakers for standing on your feet all day. I got them to traverse the SHOT Show with actually as well as use outdoors and when needed. I have worn them around SHOT show a few years, several days in a row, complete days as well as DisneyWorld several days in conjunction with SHOT, as well as my EAG, LAV, and MD classes this year. They were A BILLION times better than my (high priced) sneakers, where my feet start hurting after 2-3 hours of standing around.