PDA

View Full Version : Salute 10-8/EAG steel target.

Hawkeye
02-06-07, 19:07
Here are a few pics of a new Salute Products steel target I picked up to try out. This is their 10-8/EAG plate. Quality and construction appear to be absolutly top notch just from a visual inspection. I spoke with Freddie with Salute on the phone before ordering. Really a nice guy and answered all my questions.
This setup is really nice with the DOD base in that it breaks down into the plate, the leg of the stand, and the base. Very easy to transport, and very easy to assemble and use. The angle of the plate seems mmore than sufficient to keep back-splatter down to pretty much nothing, even with fairly close range shooting. Just wanted to pass on my initial thoughts to you guys. More once I have a chance to get it to the range and try it out. If it works as well as I suspect, I'll definitely be ordering some more with both the DOD stands and the spring loaded bases.
Oh, and the warning sticker Salute puts on the plates are just great. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/Salute1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/Salute2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/Salute3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Training/Salute4.jpg

C4IGrant
02-06-07, 19:39
I have the same one (two actually) and their popper tray. :D

C4

Nathan_Bell
02-06-07, 19:47
Here are a few pics of a new Salute Products steel target I picked up to try out. This is their newer (I believe) EAG plate. Quality and construction appear to be absolutly top notch just from a visual inspection. I spoke with Freddie with Salute on the phone before ordering. Really a nice guy and answered all my questions.
This setup is really nice with the DOD base in that it breaks down into the plate, the leg of the stand, and the base. Very easy to transport, and very easy to assemble and use. The angle of the plate seems mmore than sufficient to keep back-splatter down to pretty much nothing, even with fairly close range shooting. Just wanted to pass on my initial thoughts to you guys. More once I have a chance to get it to the range and try it out. If it works as well as I suspect, I'll definitely be ordering some more with both the DOD stands and the spring loaded bases.
Oh, and the warning sticker Salute puts on the plates are just great. :D

You can't tease like that, what is the warning?

FJB
02-07-07, 14:36
Hawkeye,
Thanks for the compliments. Enjoy your target this weekend!

By the way, the correct name for the target is 10-8/EAG Target as it is derived from the Crye Multi-Cam portion of the 10-8 Consulting and EAG Tactical paper target. When the Salute Products website www.saluteproducts.com is finished being updated it will show that target with pricing. Tim Lau and crew at 10-8 Consulting worked closely with Pat Rogers from EAG Tactical to develop an excellent paper target that is extremely useful for both Carbine and Handgun training. The Salute 10-8/EAG Steel target owes it's shape to their well thought design. You can read more about it at the following site:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=tactics&Number=17407&Searchpage=3&Main=17407&Words=multicam&topic=&Search=true#Post17407

10-8 Consulting has used the 10-8/EAG Steel targets in several carbine and handgun classes with great success. When specific portions of the course focus is on teaching fighting skills, ie. pivots, intermediate & assymetric positions, or gunhandling skills like malfunction clearance etc. vice marksmenship skills, the steel targets provide immediate feed back to the shooters and eliminates time spent pasting targets during those particular skill set drills. Thus, the training process is more efficient and effective. Both paper and steel targets are essential to a good training program.

S/F

Hawkeye
02-07-07, 14:51
Good info FJB. Correct the name in my post.

I really like the shape and size of this target. Compared to some steel I have shot on, it gives a fairly compact head shot section, and a decent sized chest area, without being overly large. I like my steel a tad on the smaller size so as to make me work a little harder at good hits.
The paper ones are on my purchase list. I agree, a combination of paper and steel makes for the best overall training/practice. Making up a list now of what all I want to complete my personal range setup. I look forward to contacting you with some more orders in the future. :D

FJB
02-07-07, 15:43
Hawkeye,
Roger that. Salute makes the verticle upright on the base one foot taller if you would like your targets more normal height as opposed to smaller statured threats. At 25 yards and back it really doesn't make much of a difference, but some prefer taller appearing targets. Range berm height is a consideration as well.

S/F

Pat_Rogers
02-07-07, 17:28
This is a great target- we have been shooting it a bunch and i can forsee a lot more in my inventory.
In the interest of accuracy, the genisis for the 10-8- EAG target was a conversation that Tim and I had in my truck on the way down to an EAG Carbine class in WV. We figured most of it out during the ride, and then i roughed it out at Crye Precision at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Tim and i had several telcons and then we launched it, and that was the totality of the effort.

Don't i wish that all of life was that easy.

See the Featured Article on my website www.eagtactical.com for the story as to why and how.

We are pretty happy about it, and have found that the qual scores have gone up across the board since we have started using it- part of that "Aim Small, Miss Small" thing that i've heard about.

In the meantime, the SALUTE target is very much good to go!

Jeff cahill at TangoDown is the sole distributor of this target, and we hope to have some additions to it in the near term.

Razorhunter
02-07-07, 19:09
What are the details/specs on this target? What rounds will it take hits from, and what is the closest safe distance here???

Hawkeye
02-07-07, 21:33
Hawkeye,
Roger that. Salute makes the verticle upright on the base one foot taller if you would like your targets more normal height as opposed to smaller statured threats. At 25 yards and back it really doesn't make much of a difference, but some prefer taller appearing targets. Range berm height is a consideration as well.

S/F

Again, more good info. Will take note of that for future purchases.
Up close, I think I may like the slightly taller upright. It has come to my attention that I am what Pat refers to as a freak of nature.....
I agree though, 25 and out and its a moot point. Ditto the berm height considerations. One range here has some berms that are crazy low. :rolleyes:

Hawkeye
02-07-07, 21:36
This is a great target- we have been shooting it a bunch and i can forsee a lot more in my inventory.
In the interest of accuracy, the genisis for the 10-8- EAG target was a conversation that Tim and I had in my truck on the way down to an EAG Carbine class in WV. We figured most of it out during the ride, and then i roughed it out at Crye Precision at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Tim and i had several telcons and then we launched it, and that was the totality of the effort.

Don't i wish that all of life was that easy.

See the Featured Article on my website www.eagtactical.com for the story as to why and how.

We are pretty happy about it, and have found that the qual scores have gone up across the board since we have started using it- part of that "Aim Small, Miss Small" thing that i've heard about.

In the meantime, the SALUTE target is very much good to go!

Jeff cahill at TangoDown is the sole distributor of this target, and we hope to have some additions to it in the near term.

Thanks Pat. Excellent target design.
That "Aim Small, Miss Small" thing is something I have been sold on for some time now.

Hawkeye
02-07-07, 21:43
What are the details/specs on this target? What rounds will it take hits from, and what is the closest safe distance here???

Its AR500 steel. Basically an armor plate. According to FJB and on Salute's website, it will handle close range .308 for sure, and most small arms under .50 not including AP loads. 25 yds is what most companies say is the closest safe distance (no doubt partly for liability reasons). Its my opinion that not all steel targets are equal though, and some can be shot much closer, and still be safe, than others. I imagine that Salutes plates can be shot fairly close.

Hawkeye
02-07-07, 21:43
You can't tease like that, what is the warning?

Here is a hint.... its a good John Wayne quote. ;)

Pat_Rogers
02-08-07, 14:44
Thanks Pat. Excellent target design.
That "Aim Small, Miss Small" thing is something I have been sold on for some time now.

There are some that don't feel that way, but the results seem to be there.
Of course, i am biased...

FJB
02-08-07, 21:13
Pat,
Thanks for providing the details on the 10-8/EAG paper target development. I tried not to wander to far from what I knew to be the genesis. As LAV likes to say, "Stay in your lane dude." Glad you are liking the steel target system. I'd like to think it helps support the carbine and handgun training you and 10-8 Consulting conduct.

Razorhunter,
The 10-8/EAG Target is 21" tall and 11 1/2" wide. The target with the tall upright is 61" tall and 49" with the standard length upright. The system weighs around 40lbs and is easy to assemble and dissassemble for transportation to and from the range.

The targets can be safely shot with everything up to but not including .50BMG. While it is not recommended and will void the warranty I have shot them with .30-06 AP from a Remington 1903A1 as close as 25 yards and it did not penetrate nor deform the target. The rounds simply made an 1/8" gouge on the face of the steel target as they deflected down.

S/F

k9dpd
02-08-07, 22:25
I didnt see them on your website, can you provide a link

FJB
02-08-07, 23:02
The new website is under construction and it will be listed there once completed. However, the cost is $129.95 for the target and $129.95 for the standard DoD MilSpec base or $139.95 for the taller DoD MilSpec base. You can send them an email at sales@saluteproducts.com or PM me your contact info.

S/F

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 06:18
Freddie- having shot SALUTE targets before, i was pretty sure what i was getting. This meets/ exceeds all expectations. I've passed on the recommendation for a purchase of multiple targets- we'll see how this shakes down the line.

All- i strongly prefer the shorter base for a variety of reasons.
The first is safety. Unless you have a close mountain for your backstop, the geometry of the gun- target line means that taller targets run a greater risk of rounds departing the range.
That is a safety issue and can result on the low end of losing that particular range to someone losing their life.

Second is common sense. For whatever reason, many schools/ ranges post their targets unreasonably high. At one school the top of the targets were
at 6'7". When i asked the alcoholic who was responsible for this "why", he stated that i should train people to shoot tall threats.
Sigh....
A fact of life is that the average is closer to 5'7" then 6'7", but don't let common sense interfere.

Shorter is more realistic and in many cases, keep the range and adjacent community safer.

UVvis
02-09-07, 13:01
Second is common sense. For whatever reason, many schools/ ranges post their targets unreasonably high. At one school the top of the targets were
at 6'7". When i asked the alcoholic who was responsible for this "why", he stated that i should train people to shoot tall threats.
Sigh....
A fact of life is that the average is closer to 5'7" then 6'7", but don't let common sense interfere.

For some reason this set me off on an altered line of thinking, partially of a Disneyland safari. You'd have giants, swarms of dwarves, flying whats-its and creppy talking animals all represented.

This target does look good. I've been wanting to get a couple steel targets for a while now, and these look great.

nyeti
02-09-07, 13:03
I also keepa Salute steel target in my vehicle at all times. It is an excellent product at a very fair price for the quality.

FJB
02-18-07, 12:39
New website for Salute Products is up. www.saluteproducts.com There are still a few typos, ie. heading for 10-8/EAG target is wrong, but descriptor paragraph has it right, that have to be corrected but this website is definitely more user friendly.

S/F

Hawkeye
02-18-07, 13:20
FJB,

New website looks GREAT!

Hawkeye
03-11-07, 15:55
I FINALLY got to the range with my plate to put some rounds on it. Absolutely and EXCELLENT plate. Shap and size are perfect. I ran some handgun rounds up to about 7 yards, and no back splatter issues at all. The target design and cant does a great job of sending everything down into the ground. Target itself held up great. 55gr FMJ 5.56 had zero affect on it as close as 10 yards. 115gr and 124gr FMJ and JHPs in handgun were a non issue, as was 9mm ammo through a 16 inch barreled Beretta Storm carbine.
Only two things I can think of that are noteworthy.
When we were getting ready to leave, I had about 20 rounds of older Winchster 55gr Ballistic Silvertip ammo that I wanted to dispose of. I noticed that after shooting it, there were some impact areas from it that ever so slightly dented the surface of the plate from about 20 yards. Not cratered or pitted, just some very very mild denting. You just can feel it if you run you hand over the spots. I am wondering of the ballistic tip loads were trying to act a bit more like a cookie cutter than what regular FMJ loads do. Shouldnt have any affect though.
The other thing is, that a 9mm round took a chunk out of the edge on one side. It was one of the last rounds fired of the day, as my wife was finishing up the last magazine in her 9mm XD. She was shooting on paper to the right of the plate. She decided to use her last couple of rounds on the plate. She didnt sqare up to it though and one round hit the left side edge, coming in at an angle, and took a cookie cutter chunk right out of the edge. Distance was about 12-15 yards. No biggie as it still shouldnt affect the overall use of the plate. I did use the opportunity to give her a sad puppy dog look for taking a chunk out of my brand new plate on its first trip out :( , and explained that you really need to square up as much as possible on steel.

I also had ordered some of Pat Rogers paper targets he designed, which I think most of you are familiar with, to try out. I must say, the 10-8/EAG paper targets are a God send. Its so nice to finally have an effective, yet versital paper target. Combine those with Salute's 10-8/EAG steel plates, and I cant think of a reason to use anything else for my personal training. So hats off and thanks to Pat Rogers for these target design's (and anyone else that may have been involved), and to FJB and Salute for the well built steel. I'll definitely be spending more money with Salute for steel and with Tango Down on the paper.

FJB
03-12-07, 18:40
Hawkeye,
Glad the target performed well for you. Clipping the edge of the steel is not uncommon as with all steel targets the edge if hit at an angle is not supported by rest of the steel and will allow a slight divet or cut. Regarding the Silvertip ammo the combination of Silvertip and higher velocities from 55gr bullets at close distance you can cause very mild "denting" that you mentioned. However, it is still very safe. It is only when you see 1/16" caveatations that you need to start worrying, recommend turning the target face around to use a smooth surface and increasing distance from the target for safety. Bullets travelling inexcess of 3,000 fps when they hit the steel will start to damage the target face as it has to do with energy/heat transfer. Again we don't encourage nor recommend shooters use the targets with carbines/rifles inside of 25 yards, with preference towards 50-75 yards for safety and longevity of the target. Some customers will use one side for pistol and one for rifle so that one side is always smooth for shooting safely at 10 yards with handguns.

Again, glad that you enjoyed the target. I also agree with you regarding the 10-8/EAG paper targets. Excellent products for firearms training.

S/F

Hawkeye
03-12-07, 19:42
Thanks FJB. I was aware of the cavitation depth, etc., hence no worries on my part. Again, Cant say how pleased I am with this plate. More will be ordered for sure......just as soon as I get the go ahead from "the boss". :D