PDA

View Full Version : How about this for a new sticky?

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 02:24
How about an assembly/build guide sticky? Id like to hear what you all think...
Personally I think it would be a great resource for the curious and those looking to actually build an AR from scratch.
Im thinking a step by step guide with photos from torque ranges (barrel nut, FH, castle nut, gas key screws) to moly/anti-sieze application, LPK installation, etc...

rob_s
08-22-09, 06:51
I understand your point, but between the thread on ar15.com (http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/) and the excellent videos at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video), I think this info is well covered elsewhere.

Quib
08-22-09, 07:58
I think it’s a good idea.

Jay Cunningham
08-22-09, 09:15
I would agree that we need our own resource. The tech publications are fine, but not a substitute for armorer experience, of which we have a lot here. A combination of the two resources (the official manuals plus experienced crib notes) would be ideal IMO.

Quib
08-22-09, 09:34
I would agree that we need our own resource. The tech publications are fine, but not a substitute for armorer experience, of which we have a lot here. A combination of the two resources (the official manuals plus experienced crib notes) would be ideal IMO.

Don’t discredit the experience of those who are not necessarily “school trained armorers”.

Jay Cunningham
08-22-09, 09:36
Don’t discredit the experience of those who are not necessarily “school trained armorers”.

I'm pretty certain that's not what I wrote.

Quib
08-22-09, 09:42
I'm pretty certain that's not what I wrote.

You are absolutely correct Sir, that is not what you wrote. I simply wanted to inject that input could be offered from other than those with Armorer credentials. :)

If that input is not welcomed here, then I respect that decision.

Jay Cunningham
08-22-09, 09:45
Quib if you have a question about something let's please discuss it via PM.

Quib
08-22-09, 09:51
Quib if you have a question about something let's please discuss it via PM.

No problem, gladly. IM sent. :)

kaiservontexas
08-22-09, 09:59
I think we should have our own sticky on the subject.

rob_s
08-22-09, 10:09
This is why I simply directed to the other sites. Frankly, without either some official credentials or some verified hobbyist cred I don't think it keeps in with the ethos of M4C.

AR15.com covers the hobbyist angle, Brownells has the armorer angle. If we're just going to replicate one or the other then I see no point. If we're going to do it "right" in M4C fashion then maybe.

Generally speaking, I sped time on this site because it fills a void that's not filled by other sites. The internet-picture-posters have arfcom, the soldiers have Lightfighter, the cops have 10-8, the competition shooters have the Enos forum. M4C addresses a particular niche, and if we're going to have an assembly post then it should fit that niche and continue the existing standards.

bubba-joe's "how to build an AR with duct tape" wouldn't seem to fit that, IMHO.

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 10:51
I understand your point, but between the thread on ar15.com (http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/) and the excellent videos at Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/guntechdetail/How_to_Build_An_AR-15_Video), I think this info is well covered elsewhere.

I know the info is available else where, I just think it would be good to have our own and secondly, not all members here are members of TOS and dont always visit to look around.
As for the Brownells vids, having links to them wouldnt be a bad thing to attach as an added resource.
It's just that I notice queries how to's which lead to torque ranges, etc... around the site from time to time, simply from what I assume, is a result of not having a dedicated thead readily available.
Having our own with the help of the elite members would probably help filter out redundant queries, IMHO.

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 10:58
I think a section with build and assembly guides, along with tech data such as torque charts and inspection guides, is an excellent idea, and I have already given Mark a couple illustrations I put together to pass along.

This is a good idea as well.

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 11:08
This is why I simply directed to the other sites. Frankly, without either some official credentials or some verified hobbyist cred I don't think it keeps in with the ethos of M4C.

AR15.com covers the hobbyist angle, Brownells has the armorer angle. If we're just going to replicate one or the other then I see no point. If we're going to do it "right" in M4C fashion then maybe.

Generally speaking, I sped time on this site because it fills a void that's not filled by other sites. The internet-picture-posters have arfcom, the soldiers have Lightfighter, the cops have 10-8, the competition shooters have the Enos forum. M4C addresses a particular niche, and if we're going to have an assembly post then it should fit that niche and continue the existing standards.

bubba-joe's "how to build an AR with duct tape" wouldn't seem to fit that, IMHO.

Now I understand where youre coming from and I agree with you in the sense that I too believe in keeping our "brand identity", as I would say being advertising graduate. :D
With that said, how about a compromise, provide the resource and to quote youre statement, "to do it "right" in M4C fashion then maybe."?
I think we have more than enough elite members to fill our "brand requirements" for an assembly guide. Let's have one based on real world experience, using the most ideal tools, jigs and methods from the experience of our elite members.
If done this way, it would probably become the most accurate and reliable guide to date.

C4IGrant
08-22-09, 13:21
The problem with armorer schools is that they tend to ONLY deal with that companies weapon. This is great if you own THAT weapon.

What would be much more useful is how to install a lot of the popular after market rails, triggers, stocks, receiver plates, muzzle breaks, etc).

C4

Stickman
08-22-09, 13:34
How about an assembly/build guide sticky? Id like to hear what you all think...
Personally I think it would be a great resource for the curious and those looking to actually build an AR from scratch.
Im thinking a step by step guide with photos from torque ranges (barrel nut, FH, castle nut, gas key screws) to moly/anti-sieze application, LPK installation, etc...

I'm currently in the process of doing this. Its nothing new, and its certainly been done before, my goal is to show a walk through with clean, clear images. I have done this one before, but the threads were lost when another board closed a few years back. The brighter side is that my photography has come a long way since then.

eternal24k
08-22-09, 18:56
I think we need a good guide on doing a build with a low pro gas block under the rail, the first time i did a lite 12.0 was a pain

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 20:02
I'm currently in the process of doing this. Its nothing new, and its certainly been done before, my goal is to show a walk through with clean, clear images. I have done this one before, but the threads were lost when another board closed a few years back. The brighter side is that my photography has come a long way since then.
That's good to hear. Looking forward to getting it stickied. :)

mark5pt56
08-23-09, 07:11
I don't know what stage it's in, Iraqi Guns is working on this.

lanceriley
08-23-09, 18:30
this would be great.

this is great for us guys not living in the continental u.s. we don't have armorer's course or info.

Jay Cunningham
08-23-09, 19:01

I can think of none better for the task.

SWATcop556
08-23-09, 21:39

Good to hear. Between Iraqgunz and Stickman that would be one hell of a guide.

I never understood why we didn't have one here on M4C and when someone asked about it they were directed to TOS, yet any other information from TOS was bullshit and worthless. I would much prefer to just have it all in one place and produced by professionals.

rob_s
08-24-09, 05:33
I never understood why we didn't have one here on M4C and when someone asked about it they were directed to TOS, yet any other information from TOS was bullshit and worthless. I would much prefer to just have it all in one place and produced by professionals.
This is off topic, but I want to address this since I posted the link.

Rational adults should be able to decipher good information from bullshit. There is a lot of good information on TOS, to include their build guide, the ammo oracle, etc. Even with their high level of drama there (which, combined with the high level of emotional ignorance of some of their members, is the objection most of us have) it's damn tough to get something stickied, tacked, or archived there that isn't of at least some value. for every GD moderator that they have that's probably fired less rounds this year than our 12 year old you have a tech section moderator or staff member (like newarguy) that knows his shit and trains and shoots as much as anyone here. It's tough to get bullshit past a guy like that and wind up with it stickied/tacked/archived.

If you see cautions to be careful what you believe on TOS, what we're referring to is the posts in the tech sections by guys with 5,000 posts in GD and 12 in tech.

SWATcop556
08-24-09, 14:13
This is off topic, but I want to address this since I posted the link.

Rational adults should be able to decipher good information from bullshit. There is a lot of good information on TOS, to include their build guide, the ammo oracle, etc. Even with their high level of drama there (which, combined with the high level of emotional ignorance of some of their members, is the objection most of us have) it's damn tough to get something stickied, tacked, or archived there that isn't of at least some value. for every GD moderator that they have that's probably fired less rounds this year than our 12 year old you have a tech section moderator or staff member (like newarguy) that knows his shit and trains and shoots as much as anyone here. It's tough to get bullshit past a guy like that and wind up with it stickied/tacked/archived.

If you see cautions to be careful what you believe on TOS, what we're referring to is the posts in the tech sections by guys with 5,000 posts in GD and 12 in tech.

Good to know. I spend very little time on TOS and I figured there are some very switched on people who are members that provide good information. My post was directed more towards having build guides, cleaning guides, proper tools, etc all in one place as opposed to sending someone who is new to AR builds over to a site where bullshit abounds.

Adults can tell what is bullshit vs good information but if someone is ignorant on a subject, it is harder to separate good from bad just from lack of knowledge. I value and trust your opinion and if the info is good to go then so be it.

bkb0000
08-24-09, 14:21
i don't really care how it's done, seems like it would be cool to give Gunz his own forum, make him moderator with full godly powers, where he can post different install things at his liberty, if he's interested in doing such a thing. let people post questions and offer their own tips and tricks, but the majority of the instruction would be provided by him.

that way BS can be immediately isolated, maybe even moderated out.

otherwise... one nice thing about M4C (which seems to be becoming a little less so in recent times, actually) is that it's great peer-review. BS is seen by people with working knowledge, and called out, and quickly. so even an open thread, with no single person in the lead, should be self-moderating.

Jay Cunningham
08-24-09, 14:25
i don't really care how it's done, seems like it would be cool to give Gunz his own forum, make him moderator with full godly powers, where he can post different install things at his liberty, if he's interested in doing such a thing.

:cool:

Iraqgunz *is* a moderator.

bkb0000
08-24-09, 18:02
:cool:

Iraqgunz *is* a moderator.

indeed.. i mean moderator of the build-shit forum specifically