PDA

View Full Version : Putting a black/deep blue finish on steel

Razorhunter
08-22-09, 16:56
What are my options for putting a black (or MAYBE a deep blue/black) finish on small parts made of steel?
I have a few gas blocks that had custom milling done to them. They are parkerized black, but parkerizing isn't an option right now.

What else can be done? Is there anything similar to the Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black", that works on steel? I have not used "Cold bluing" before. Not sure if it's blackish or only a blue finish?
I suppose Gunkote is a possibility, but I don't have a spray gun right now. I do have interest in finding out a somewhat inexpensive method for setting up to Gunkote small parts, but I don't know the best equiptment to use.
What else is availabe for a nice black finish that would somewhat match parkerizing that is on the rest of the part?
Is there any other wipe on finish that works good like Aluminum Black?
If not, are the bake-on finishes such as Gunkote my only options? What about some of those spray can/aerosol finishes Brownells has? (not looking to use regular black spray paint though)

Col_Crocs
08-22-09, 21:40
Birchwood Casey has exactly what youre looking for.
http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blueing_index.asp?categoryID=1&subcat=5
Although, your Aluminum black should work just fine on your steel. Ive done it to a mangled-ended auto sear pin once. Sanded it smooth, cleaned it, and applied a little Aluminum black. I left it on for a couple of hours, until a white crust formed and then cleaned and oiled it.