PDA

View Full Version : Is the BATFE rejecting Form 1s with multiple barrel lengths?

CharlieMike
08-22-09, 19:14
I was filling out a Form 1 today when I found this recent note at guntrustlawyer.com:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2009/08/atf-form-1-53201for-sbrsbs-wit.html

When submitting a Form 1 to the ATF for a SBR or SBS with multiple barrel lengths, the ATF will no longer accept a Form 1 with multiple barrel lengths. It is recommended that you submit the ATF Form 1 (5320.1) with a single barrel length for approval. Follow this link for more information on how to fill out an ATF form1 (5320.1).

Does this mean that the barrel must be only and exactly the length specified or does it mean the barrel could be the length specified or longer?

For example, I plan to use an 11.5" barrel so should I indicate 11.5" or will filling in something like 7" give me the flexibility to use anything 7" or longer?

SHIVAN
08-22-09, 19:20
The common wisdom is to file the Form 1 with the most likely barrel length you will use upon initial configuration. Then send a letter after approval to the NFA Branch and advise them that you intend to also use barrels of 7", 10.3", 10.5", 11", 12.5", 14.5", 16", 18", 20" and 24" in varying configurations with various uppers on the same registered SBR lower, and also indicate which of them you consider as the "primary" configuration.

It will not be an issue.

CharlieMike
08-22-09, 19:21
The common wisdom is to file the Form 1 with the most likely barrel length you will use upon initial configuration. Then send a letter after approval to the NFA Branch and advise them that you intend to also use barrels of 7", 10.3", 10.5", 11", 12.5", 14.5", 16", 18", 20" and 24" in varying configurations with various uppers on the same registered SBR lower, and also indicate which of them you consider as the "primary" configuration.

It will not be an issue.

Thank you!

How does this affect the overall length measurement? Does the letter include the length of the barrels you plan to use as well as the new overall lengths?

Sorry for the probably FAQs. My lawyer spelled out how I should fill out the Form 1 but that blog posting has thrown me off.

bwhited
08-22-09, 19:52
I have also heard that you can list additional lengths and calibers in the additional field....

SHIVAN
08-22-09, 20:37
In my letter, I did not include OAL changes. Does not mean that is what your contact at NFA will want from you though. BTW, the letter is viewed a "courtesy item", but they appreciate more information than none.

RetreatHell
08-23-09, 20:01
Just so you know, I got my Approved Form 1 back about 4 weeks ago now. I have a couple 11.5" BCM uppers, and one LMT 10.5" upper, and on the section of the Form 1 for "Barrel Length" I wrote (actually typed) 10.5"/11.5", and on the section for OAL of weapon I wrote the two separate lengths as well.

YMMV, but mine was approved with the two different lengths. However I would NOT write more than two different ones, and approval also might depend on how anal your examiner is.

For my first Form 1 I just wrote one barrel length, and then eventually did what Shivan suggested and wrote BATFE a letter notifying them of different barrel lengths I intended on using with that approved SBR lower receiver.

If you're still hesitant, you can always give the NFA Branch a call and they'll set you straight.

f.2
08-23-09, 22:07

It will not be an issue.

SHIVAN,

Greetings. Do / Did you get an ATF letter head letter back approving the additional SBR bbl lengths, as requested?

f2

SHIVAN
08-24-09, 08:05
I am pretty sure you get a confirmation of receipt letter back. I'll have to look and see what is in my file.

As I said, it's not really an formal document, though it does become part of the "file" for you at NFA. It is really just a courtesy item that does a little CYA for NFA owners.

I've never seen where it is required of you to inform the ATF that you are changing barrel lengths on an already registered SBR with such modularity as the AR15.

Now I would ALWAYS send a letter for something like a Remington 700 SBR where the barrel was listed at 14" on the Form 1, but you later changed it to a 12" barrel. That would be viewed as a "permanent" or semi-permanent change and I'd want to get that in the records.

GreyOps
08-26-09, 11:12
I have also heard that you can list additional lengths and calibers in the additional field....

I recently (Aug 8th) had my Form 1 returned for having multiple barrel lengths listed in the "length field". My examiner provided instruction to include the additional lengths in the "additional field", 4h I believe.

erik_
08-27-09, 20:12
I recently (Aug 8th) had my Form 1 returned for having multiple barrel lengths listed in the "length field". My examiner provided instruction to include the additional lengths in the "additional field", 4h I believe.

Was it returned stamped and approved or did you have to fix it and resubmit?

GreyOps
08-28-09, 07:34
I had to fix the form and resubmit with the corrections, but got the approved form and stamp in the mail yesterday. So, 13 day turn-around on the correction.

erik_
08-28-09, 10:13
Nice. Glad to hear you didn't have to start over.

GreyOps
08-28-09, 10:31
They assign a case number to the returned form so it goes directly to the same examiner.