PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 553 Vs. Aimpoint T1

EL Mariachi
08-22-09, 20:35
I have Colt 6920 that I finally get to put some optics on. I am trying to decide between the Eotech 553 and the Aimpoint T1. It will be used for personal defense and taking some carbine courses. whats your opinion on the two? Any info appreciated.

mvician
08-22-09, 21:23
Aimpoint............why? Turn it on, leave it on. Change the batteries on your birthday.

:D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/ronco_rotisserie.jpg

noctis
08-22-09, 22:14
My experience is 553 to T-1 back to 553.

Most people will defend the T-1 citing weight savings and battery life, and those are two very important points. There's a lot to like. But for myself I couldn't get down on it, and sold it to buy another 553.

Specifically, I didn't like:
the housing/glass ratio and housing shape lack of symmetry
searching for the dot
the small diameter tube

Personally, I had no issues with the original 553 I carried, and just changed out my batteries at around every 7 months for prevention's sake.

I'm not making any reccomendations.

ryanm
08-22-09, 22:32
Have both, like both, I consider them different tools.

The T1 definitely needs to be on a mount.

The downside to a .553 is if you have a stigmatism in your vision, any EO Tech appears to have alot of Halo distortion. The BDC is worthless IMO on the .553.

Quck target acquisition on the EOtech is better than the T1, but I think this is more of a familiarity issue on my part.

I also think the EOtech is better on a riser or on a rail system with elevated extensions such as the CAS-V or SIR bi-level.

If your planning on magnifying, I like the 4x behind the EOtechs better than the Aimpoint 3x systems. That 4x is expensive, but IMO worth the difference in price vs. th3 gen 1 3x. I haven't used the new gen 2 3x yet.

Aimpoint has some nifty angle housings that I haven't played with--but look interesting.

tpd223
08-23-09, 07:40
I sold off all my EO Techs, running a T1 in a LaRue mount. This is the best dot sight I have ever worked with. It is particularly useful on my patrol rifle since I can leave it on 24/7 without worry.

With training the T1 is just as fast as the EO Tech, and it is certainly tougher, more reliable, and more user friendly with the leave-it-on ability.

Failure2Stop
08-23-09, 08:36
If you can work with iron sights with any kind of speed moving to any of the 1X optics will make you noticably and measureably faster. Still, repetition and practice are needed to gain the highest benefit.

Both the 553 and T1 are great when they are on.
The only difference is that the T1 can be left on and used for about 3 years and 355 longer than the 553.

Fire
08-23-09, 13:14
I use both, but FWIW the weight differences are:

553 = 12.3 oz
T1 w/ Larue Mount = 7 oz

so the Aimpoint gets more use for me, YMMV. They're both great optics

c0b2a
09-06-09, 19:30
I can only speak for the 553. I used my 553 through an Iraq deployment back in 07 and have continued to use since. I love the sight, extremely fast target acquisition. Also back up irons work without having to remove the optic.

Only problem now is my eye sight in my right eye has deteriorated at bit and with out glasses the halo blurs into the center. Got some prescription Oakleys now and no issues.

In Iraq I changed out my batteries every month, not because of them going dead, but I just believe in being ever prepared. While you may be able to leave the T1 with the same batteries for a year or whatever.. to me I wouldn't let it get to that. So yeah no issues with the 553 as far as I am concerned. Great Optic all round.

ROADKING
09-06-09, 22:20
AIMPOINT nothing else to say.

nickdrak
09-07-09, 03:03
This subject has been covered a billion times, but here's my take on the debate....

Aimpoint T1

PROS:

Outstanding battery life. Turn it on, and change the battery once a year.

Super light weight

Super rugged

Good mounting options available.

CONS:

4moa dot covers up alot of your target at distance.

Smaller diameter tube design is tougher to aquire in compromised shooting positions (Urban prone, SBU prone, etc.)

Smaller diameter tube design lends itself toward "tunnel vision".

P.S. If you dont need the NVG capability, get the H1 instead and save a few bucks.

Im not a big fan of the 553 model Eotech due to the built-in ARMS mount, and would instead opt for the new XPS line or the 512/552 mounted on a LaRue riser mount instead.

Eotech XPS2-0 (Non-NVG model)

PROS:

The Eotech reticle: 65moa ring/1moa dot (super fast target aquisition)

"Heads-Up Display" design lends itself towards better peripheral vision and quicker target aquisition.

Light weight

New ruggedized battery box design appears to have eliminated most of the past issues with the original battery boxes.

Excellent mounting options available: LaRue riser mount for "Lower 1/3 co-witness" or mount it directly to the flattop for an "Absolute co-witness"

Quick/easy battery changes

CONS:

Barely acceptable Battery life

8 hour auto shut-off feature

It's up to you to decide what features and advantages of each optic system means more to you and your specific needs. Everything in terms of weapons set-up is a compromise, and getting others "opinions" on what works best for them, wont necessarily do anything beneficial for you.

I have tried them all, and for a non-magnified optic, the features of the new Eotech XPS2-0 is the best compromise for my specific needs (Daily carry/Patrol rifle). While I wish they could make the batteries last longer, I am faster on-target with the Eotech than I am with any other non-magnified optic on the market. As far as the battery life goes, I change religiously every two weeks.

ROADKING
09-07-09, 08:53
I also dont like the 8 hr shut off feature i dont want it shutting off in the middle of the time you realy need it. AIMPOINT can be left on for 5 years and never needs shut off. I want to be able to turn it on and off as needed.

CarlosDJackal
09-07-09, 10:19
Aimpoint T-1 (H-1 if you don't need the NVG capabilities). I never turn mine off.

ridewaves
09-11-09, 04:23
4moa dot covers up alot of your target at distance.

YMMV, but I've found that at any distance where the dot size would cover up too much of the target, I'm holding the dot above, clear of the target POI anyway.

I typically shoot IPSC or E-type silhouettes though. I suppose smaller targets would be different.

tpd223
09-11-09, 05:44
The dot on the T1 is slightly smaller than 4moa.

It's way smaller appearing than the front sight on my old M16a1, which I never had any issue in hitting the 300 meter target with.

I think this "negative" is largely theoretical.

nickdrak
09-11-09, 13:14
YMMV, but I've found that at any distance where the dot size would cover up too much of the target, I'm holding the dot above, clear of the target POI anyway.

I typically shoot IPSC or E-type silhouettes though. I suppose smaller targets would be different.

At 100yds this would alter your P.O.I by +2 inches.