PDA

View Full Version : camping with sawyer water filters

sullafelix
08-22-09, 20:53
Recently did a five day pack trip in the Pecos Wilderness with my two youngest kids ages 11 and 12. I have been doing back country trips for over 30 yrs. and have always found water purification a pain. I have used various pump models (slow and time consuming), boiling, (too much fuel use) and chemical (the taste). I decided to give the new Sawyer filters a try. This is the best system ever. We used both the in-line water filter bottles(available from Walmart and REI) and the 4 liter gravity water system(from Sawyer or REI). Everything worked great.The bottles were easy to fill and the filters never clogged or became difficult to draw through. The gravity system was a breeze to fill and worked as advertised. I give Sawyer a big thumbs up.I waited a couple of weeks before posting this to make sure no giardia or other nasties got through the filters( I had giardia once a long time ago and since have been obsessive about water purification)By the way the trip was great the kids got to see 3 herds of bighorns, 28 altogether and about 30 elk

Macx
08-22-09, 22:37
Thank you. I'd been looking at the gravity system and was scouting around for a testimonial from a message board (not tesimonial by a retailer, as so many of those are written by salespeople) . . . now, you have given me exactly the testimonial on the product I was looking at. Thanks :)

So far my summer has only included a bout with Lyme Disease, no water related issues but that isn't a dice I wanna keep rolling.

Outlander Systems
08-23-09, 12:10
Water treatment has been my biggest headache.

Everything I've looked into has been either, hype or headache. Backflushing seems to be easily jacked-up, UV requires batteries, etc. It's as though there's no simple solution to the problem. I've just been coffee-filter straining/boiling, since none of the filters I've looked into really seem to perform.

A full-blown review/writeup on this would be very welcomed here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=103