PDA

View Full Version : WaterBOB Emergency Water Storage. Any Experience?

Audacia77
08-23-09, 08:54
I just ran across this in one of my magazines and checked it out online. Thought it could be pretty useful. Picked up 4 and got one for free. Figure that extras would make good Christmas gifts.

Anyone have experience with these?

Great concept, but I can see how this product could go south real quick. Certain questions not addressed in the FAQ are is the WaterBOB reusable and what gauge is the plastic?

Thoughts? Experiences?

http://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=home

JLBourne
08-23-09, 09:16
One disadvantage I see is the extreme weight. This is more of a water BIB. You are not bugging out with 100 gallons of water. 100gals x 8.32lbs = 832lbs of H2O.

Another minor detail is that you are going to have to know ahead of time that water is about to become an issue so that you can put the bag in your tub and fill it up. This thing would be less effective in a quick emergency. I have a few blue plastic 5gal water containers I bought at pep boys. Filled them up and added the proper amount of bleach. Good to go. Sitting with my supplies right now with no need to fill them up after the fact.

It still might be worth it. I might consider a rain catch barrel if I were you since you are looking at a large quantity of water storage. That way it's always refreshed by the rain and always full. You can always treat it with bleach or iodine as needed.

ballistic
08-23-09, 09:32
No experience with the WaterBOB, but I do EDC Platypus water bottles, have them in my BOBs, and am looking at these for emergency water storage. They're a bit more portable.

http://cascadedesigns.com/Platypus/Filtration-And-Storage/Platy-Water-Tank/product

Audacia77
08-23-09, 12:06
JLBourne, we are eye to eye on this. I would intend on using this as a bug in situation. Hence the question on whether it is reusable. Since I was young whenever we have a weather watch we always fill the tubs, sinks, etc with water. Unfortunately, every morning when we wake up the bath tubs and sinks are usually almost empty. This could be used to ensure that water collected stays in the tub and prevents most forms of contamination. Only real worries I have is possibility of mildew build up if used repeatedly and gradual wear from reuse.

I have additional water containers (i.e.: 5gal Jerry cans, CamelBak bladders, etc) but none nowhere near 100gal. So this could be a big plus if I have to sit it out at home with the family.

PA PATRIOT
08-23-09, 12:11
I just ran across this in one of my magazines and checked it out online. Thought it could be pretty useful. Picked up 4 and got one for free. Figure that extras would make good Christmas gifts.

Anyone have experience with these?

Great concept, but I can see how this product could go south real quick. Certain questions not addressed in the FAQ are is the WaterBOB reusable and what gauge is the plastic?

Thoughts? Experiences?

http://www.waterbob.com/Information.do?forward=home

I have seen a few different versions of this bladder and the two that I picked up appeared to be of heavier construction. Not that it really matters as they are for the most part a one and done deal, we have them at are mountain home just in case the main power for the well pump goes out, We can use the generator to run the well pump to fill the bladder then shut it down. Since are back-up LED lighting inside the home runs from battery/Solar Panels set-up and heat is supplied by a wood fire place and a cast iron stove the water bladder helps limit are dependence for gas to run the pump.

kaiservontexas
08-23-09, 15:12
I should pick up a couple for hurricanes. I do think it bites they are pretty much a one time deal. Then again I do not get hit by storms every year, and when I do (Ike) I am one of the lucky. Power failed after the storm thanks to a tree finally falling through some lines. Power was back in about 5 hours.

00leland00
09-09-09, 21:23
I just found a local source for these:
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/qball00980/guns/drums.jpg

$10 each, got two yesterday and picked up two more today. In the process of washing them out and filling them.

MIKE G
09-09-09, 21:30

00leland00
09-09-09, 21:33
They came from a food additive place. They all had extracts/flavorings in them. Cinnamon, hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla. :D I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the taste/smell now.

the judge
09-09-09, 21:57
They came from a food additive place. They all had extracts/flavorings in them. Cinnamon, hazelnut, caramel, and vanilla. :D I'm trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the taste/smell now.

Fill with water and add a bit of bleach, agitate and let it sit for a day or so. That should work.

Heavy Metal
09-09-09, 22:40
I have tons of empty 5 gallon bacterially-filtered DI water dispensers I got when they threw them out at my old job.

They have on-off nozzles and even have a sturdy cardboard bow with a handle around them so they stack.

They are essentially giant cubitainers. I could easily store 90 gallons.