PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Frontier quad vs. Taco quad cab for routine use

mattjmcd
08-23-09, 15:39
For the next family vehicle, I am thinking of going in a totally new direction. These 2 vehicles (or others like them ) are dark horse contenders for a new family ride. I have my wife in a 5-series right now, and we love it. Before that, it was an Audi Avant, which we also liked a lot.

I have 2 little-ish kids and have also added a K9 to the mix. As such, another wagonesque vehicle is likely to be the next choice. I am eying the Forerunner or possibly a Pathfinder, among others. Still, I don't want to rule out a pickup that can seat 4.

Most driving is routine suburban go-getting, and some long haul driving up to 4-6 hours. Weather is usually good. When it's bad, it's wet. but no snow. (I am a SoCal) Most of the driving in THIS rig would be done by the wife, who is not opposed to a truck but has never really driven one.

So the question is this: are these trucks suitable for this sort of thing, or should I stick with a wagon or SUV ( again, probably a Forerunner) instead?

Business_Casual
08-23-09, 15:43
I find the axle hop/tramp/rear wander in pickups to get annoying after a few hundred miles.

For the same money you could get a Tahoe or Yukon, which I happen to think are very nice (since I drive a Yukon).

M_P

Impact
08-23-09, 18:05
I have a Pathfinder V8 4x4 and love it. Been 2 years and zero problems. Great for hauling gear, the family and occasional trip off road where a bigger SUV wouldn't pass
I think it's the perfect size for parking/hauling..without being too big like an armada/sequiao/yukon or tahoe

mattjmcd
08-23-09, 20:15
How is the overall ride quality? Does it compare to a pickup, or more like a crossover?

Nathan_Bell
08-23-09, 20:16
If she has never really driven a pick up much. Put her butt behind the seat of one for a good long test drive.
Some decide they love it others, as a previous poster stated, do not like pick-ups.

RemMan700
08-23-09, 20:21
They wont ride near as smooth as her 5 series.

LOKNLOD
08-23-09, 20:34
I drive an '08 Tacoma 4-door. I love it. But honestly, it sounds like you'd be better served with the wagon/SUV form factor. I have 2 little ones (3 years, and 3 months) and with both seats in the back, there's not much room for anything else, not even a dog, unless it's small and riding in the passenger's lap up front. If you put a hard tonneau cover on, the bed is workable for cargo, groceries, etc. but then it's more like a car with a big trunk and bad gas mileage. At that point the equivalent SUV would be much more practical.

variablebinary
08-23-09, 21:00
So the question is this: are these trucks suitable for this sort of thing, or should I stick with a wagon or SUV ( again, probably a Forerunner) instead?

Ride quality and amenities tend to be crap on pick ups. They are high on utility though.

Between the two, I would get the Tacoma. But I would probably get an AWD wagon over both. They tend to be more fuel efficient, have much better ride quality around town, and have better amenities. Plus they have a good level of utility.

chadbag
08-23-09, 21:21
I would probably look at a wagon or SUV. I have a large pickup (Dodge 2500 Megacab Cummins) and mostly just drive it around town. I pickup and take my stuff to Fedex, etc.

It is a hard ride (stiff 3/4 ton suspension) and we have taken family trips to Arizona (13 hour ride). One 6 year old and 1 1 year old. Good thing about the Megacab is that here is plenty of room besides the bed. With two car seats I still have one fold down seat left for boxes etc or an extra adult in the back.

But it is not a fat comfy ride, though I don't mind it at all.

rob_s
08-24-09, 05:43
FWIW, Taco vs. Frontier, the Taco wins because it has a driver's armrest. No, I'm not kidding at all.

There's a new 4Runner being announced next month sometime. If you're not in an immediate need, might be worth waiting to see. The V6 in the new truck makes the same HP as the V8 in the current version, or at least nearly so.

My current ride is an '05 Escalade. AWD, 6.0 liter engine, etc. I like the truck, but... for the way I drive I'm hell on the brakes and gas mileage. 12-14 MPG and the brakes squeal a month after they are replaced. There's also all those usual GM niggling squeaks and groans and weird shit breaking.

I agree with the other posters that for a woman making the switch from a 5 series to a small truck probably won't go too well.

M4arc
08-24-09, 06:52
Back in May I bought four door Tacoma and we (including the kids) love it. In fact my wife loves it so much that's all she drives leaving me to drive her Honda mini-van or my older Accord :mad:

I'm going to sell her van and buy another Tacoma.

Telecomtodd
08-24-09, 07:08
Wow. Nobody said "Jeep". I love my '08 Liberty - 4WD, Sky Slider soft roof, hauled two kids to college and all of my stuff to the range. Big enough to hold a lot, small enough to trail drive, although my '03 was much better for that purpose - was smaller. Oh, and gets 23 MPG on the highway! Mine looks just like this one only in midnight blue. http://www.jeep.com/en/2009/liberty/

rob_s
08-24-09, 07:17
I looked at the Liberty maybe 2 years ago. I couldn't fit both of my feet in the driver's side footwell, got out and left the dealership. In this day and age it amazes me the stupid design mistakes that car companies will make that seem so minor but will turn a buyer right off. These include lack of armrests (see the Frontier, above), tiny footwells (like the Liberty), etc. With the number of choices available even the tiniest of mistakes like that will put buyers off.

Telecomtodd
08-24-09, 07:21
Yep, that was the 02-07 body style, I had two of them. The 08+ body style is completely different and much bigger inside. In fact, my Mrs. doesn't like the 08 because it's bigger. She's a tiny 4-foot-eleven Tinkerbell look-alike, and even with the seat all the way up, her feet can hit the pedals but not the floor. She liked the '03 a lot better!

kmrtnsn
08-24-09, 07:37
Chrysler isn't looking very viable right now, even after the Fiat deal. I'd be leery of purchasing any Chrysler product. I owned an '03 Tacoma Quad Cab Pre-Runner and loved it. I bought the matching Lear shell for the back, added a carpet kit and used it as a daily driver/hauler. I bought it over the Forerunner because I needed to be able to carry more inside and the 50" bed was perfect for my needs. Its only problem was the frequency that I needed to replace the front brakes, about every 30k miles. Two factors were at fault, the fact I live at the bottom of a several mile long steep grade and that the Tacoma at the time ran the same front calipers and rotors as the single cable 2wd short bed. If you find you don't need to be hauling tons of stuff, get the Forerunner.

rob_s
08-24-09, 07:38
Yep, that was the 02-07 body style, I had two of them. The 08+ body style is completely different and much bigger inside. In fact, my Mrs. doesn't like the 08 because it's bigger. She's a tiny 4-foot-eleven Tinkerbell look-alike, and even with the seat all the way up, her feet can hit the pedals but not the floor. She liked the '03 a lot better!

you're right, it did get bigger overall.

but at 19 lbs/HP.... yikes.

SHIVAN
08-24-09, 08:44
I drive a 4-door 2005 Tacoma. I got it loaded with everything but the crappy JBL upgrade audio, which I wanted, but glad I didn't get. Custom audio and nav was just barely more expensive than the JBL kit.

If your wife is not a pick-up person you will need to get her an extended weekend test drive where you take it home and drive it for a couple days. If they don't do that, ask them to take it for a few hours and drive around to home, from home to work, etc.

If she likes it, it will be a great truck.

A couple notes:

I am 6'2" and the forward facing baby seat (FFBS) had to go on the middle position. So if you have kids still in FFBS's, and are taller, it will be a no go for both seats in the back. If they are in boosters, or sitting in the seat, you will be fine.

The gas mileage is nowhere near what the sticker says, at least for me. It does Ok at high 15-ish to 17-ish for city, but that is only after I bumped the tire inflation to 36psi on all four corners. Which makes for a quintessential pick-up ride.

Lack of leather really sucked in 2005, not sure they offer it, but I would have gotten it without question if I could have. The cloth they use seems to catch and hold any minor spill or food foible.

The stock tires blow. Get Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs as soon as the others crap the bed, about 27k - 30k miles for mine. Yes the REVOs are fairly costly, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of the stock BFG's.

rob_s
08-24-09, 09:23
FWIW with the Taco there is leather, but as I understand it there are two kinds. One is factory, the other is something that the dealer has a local vendor install. Definitely get eyes-on before opting for the leather and make sure you know what you are getting. "Leather seating surfaces" is different than leather seats.

Skter505
08-24-09, 19:14
as far as I know (work for Toyota) none of the Tacomas come with leather, it has to be put on after the fact. Have heard rumors about the '10 4Runner redesign, also something to consider. Definitely go Toyota over Nissan, but I'm biased I suppose.

mattjmcd
08-24-09, 19:44
Won't need this new vehicle until spring 2010. Just getting my thoughts lined up early.

kmrtnsn
08-24-09, 20:18
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D333274%26stc%3D1%26d%3D1245272023&imgrefurl=http://forum.ih8mud.com/120-series-toyotas/289108-2010-4runner.html&usg=__38hpmO6JhLvoW6KIwBMJ4BJqpqo=&h=480&w=800&sz=84&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=1pcgHHNvxBdA8M:&tbnh=86&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3D2010%2Bforerunner%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_enUS300US300%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Not the best picture in the world, all cammo'd up to disguise it but it does appear that the new Forerunner (already in production for a new year's arrival) grows a bit in the cabin height department. In the rest of the world the taller Lexus GX470 is the Forerunner. Maybe after 2010 they'll share cabins and be based on the same body/chassis. Me, I'd wait for the next forerunner.

M4arc
08-24-09, 20:56
The stock tires blow. Get Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs as soon as the others crap the bed, about 27k - 30k miles for mine. Yes the REVOs are fairly costly, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of the stock BFG's.

Thanks for the tire tip because new tires are next on my list. I currently have the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/As on mine now but they are just about worn out.

SHIVAN
08-24-09, 21:04
The REVO's get high praise from a lot of people. Zak_Smith turned me on to them when I was looking. He's typically spot on for most things I've ever needed his opinion on, and then tried out.

I am not disappointed. Handling is better in wet, dry and snow.

Great tire!!

LOKNLOD
08-24-09, 21:07
The REVOs are what I always see recommended on the Taco forums. I've only got about 13.5k on my truck but I'm not impressed by the BFGs on it at all.

ETA:

The gas mileage is nowhere near what the sticker says, at least for me. It does Ok at high 15-ish to 17-ish for city, but that is only after I bumped the tire inflation to 36psi on all four corners. Which makes for a quintessential pick-up ride.

I keep a running log, and my truck has averaged 18.36mpg since purchase, with a high of 20.29mpg and a low of 16.65mpg. I run about 32 in the tires. Double cab TRD-OR 4x4. So I'm pretty much spot on with the sticker.

M4arc
08-24-09, 21:10
The REVO's get high praise from a lot of people. Zak_Smith turned me on to them when I was looking. He's typically spot on for most things I've ever needed his opinion on, and then tried out.

I am not disappointed. Handling is better in wet, dry and snow.

Great tire!!

I think the REVOs are priced pretty well on tirerack.com.

M4arc
08-24-09, 21:12
The REVOs are what I always see recommended on the Taco forums. I've only got about 13.5k on my truck but I'm not impressed by the BFGs on it at all.

What Tacoma forums to you hang out on?

SHIVAN
08-24-09, 21:13
I got mine from Tirerack and had them shipped to a local NTB for installation. Pricing was good on both, but the REVOs are a bit more than some other tires in that size range, and "features" set.

However, I do not think anything would come close for the price now that I've used them for a couple 10k miles...

kmrtnsn
08-24-09, 21:21
I replaced my tires on my '03 Tacoma Quadcab with Revos; great traction and wear and not noisy.

LOKNLOD
08-24-09, 21:22
What Tacoma forums to you hang out on?

I don't hit them much these days unless I have something specific I want to look up, but the ToyotaNation and Tundra Solutions forums have some good info. They're both a lot closer to Arfcom than M4, but there's some good info floating around. There sure are some fuglied up trucks in some of those picture threads though (and a few very nice ones).

IIRC on the REVOs there are a couple different grades, P- vs. LT-, and there is a big difference in the pricing.

rob_s
08-25-09, 04:25
as far as I know (work for Toyota) none of the Tacomas come with leather, it has to be put on after the fact. .

Good to know that's one more lie the dealers tell. :mad:

perna
08-25-09, 05:27
I am going to have to put a vote in for the Nissan. The 2005+ trucks are great, have a much more full size feel, and are great off road (besides a front diff problem if you beat the hell out of it).

I have a 2002 frontier and I am a member of a Nissan off-road club, my truck rides like a truck, the new ones are way better. But like all things it usually comes down to a few features you like, because both companies make quality long lasting trucks.

subzero
08-25-09, 06:16
I am going to have to put a vote in for the Nissan. The 2005+ trucks are great, have a much more full size feel, and are great off road (besides a front diff problem if you beat the hell out of it).

I have a 2002 frontier and I am a member of a Nissan off-road club, my truck rides like a truck, the new ones are way better. But like all things it usually comes down to a few features you like, because both companies make quality long lasting trucks.

Have they moved the oil filter from beside the passenger side motor mount? That was my number one complaint about Nissan trucks.

To the OP, you're getting a lot of talk about trucks, and justifiably so, you asked for it. But aside from better visibility and ground clearance, you're not buying yourself much going from a BMW to any truck or SUV. There aren't many of them out there, but there are mid and full size wagons out there that have decent cargo capacities, handle like cars and get good (not "decent", actually good) fuel mileage. BMW, Audi, Mazda, Subaru and a few other companies make wagons worth looking at depending on your price range. If I had 50k or so to spend, a BMW M5 wagon would be high on my list of daily drivers. I'd have to go to Europe to buy it though :(

SHIVAN has the best advice in the thread so far. Get a Taco or (ugh) Nissan for an extended test drive. That's the best way to figure out how applicable a vehicle is to you. Whether or not a dealer will let you do it (most dealers in my area won't) is another story.

perna
08-25-09, 07:18
HAHA yes the oil filter was moved, maybe 98+, but I know the 2000+ it was moved. I had a 97 and it was a terrible spot, on the 2000-2004 it is in the middle over the plastic "skid plate" very easy to get. Well I have 1/4" steel skid plates so it is not easy, but either is doing anything under my truck now.

SHIVAN
08-25-09, 08:26
ETA:
I keep a running log, and my truck has averaged 18.36mpg since purchase, with a high of 20.29mpg and a low of 16.65mpg. I run about 32 in the tires. Double cab TRD-OR 4x4. So I'm pretty much spot on with the sticker.

I can guarantee we drive nothing alike then. :D

justin_247
08-25-09, 08:53
I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 and I absolutely love it. I originally was going to get a Tacoma but the Toyota dealers refused to bargain with me. So, I ended up with basically the same truck w/ a bigger engine, although not quite as pretty, for $6,000 less going with Nissan.

The low down:
- both short bed versions have the same turn radius
- both are very capable off-roaders
- both have mod-kits to gazoo
- the Toyota is prettier
- the Nissan has a bigger engine (265 hp vs. the Toyota's 235 hp.)
- the Nissan has a fully boxed frame, whereas the Toyota's is only partially boxed
- the Toyota has about an inch greater ground clearance
- the Nissan's bed rail system rocks compared to the Toyota's flimsy little bars
- the Toyota's backup camera, armrests, and inverter are nice extra features
- the Nissan's seats sit a little higher than the Toyota's
- the Toyota has more comfortable back seats
- the Nissan has more comfortable front seats
- the Toyota has a nicer looking console, but the Nissan's is more rugged looking
- the Nissan has a metal bed as opposed to the Toyota's composite bed
- the Nissan has more towing capacity
- the Nissan has a package that comes with a sunroof, although at the expense of rear head room

So, if I had to choose for a family, I would prefer the Toyota due to the fact that the rear seats are more comfortable. For a single person or just a couple, the Frontier is a bit more capable and will do nicely.

You can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion. Go test drive them both with the family around, get their opinions over the dinner table that night, and then go back the next day and bargain for the one you want.

Spurholder
08-25-09, 09:01
I used to own a '06 Quad Cab. Great truck, reliable as hell, and plenty of room for me, the wife, and one kid. Sold it when Kid #2 came along - just not enough room in the back seat area.

Gas mileage wasn't anything to write home about, either. Toyota is addressing this with the 2010 FJ - an updated 4.0 liter engine (more HP, now takes regular gas, better MPG) - hopefully that'll transfer over to the Tacoma.

My truck came with Dunlops - they had a little more bite to them than the BFG's on my friend's Tacoma, and they did well for the 20K that I put on the truck.

eflatlander
08-25-09, 09:37
If you won't be useing it for a truck go with an SUV or wagon. I have an 08 double cab and love it. I also have an 08 suburban my wife drives, it's her 4th sub she won't drive anything else. Switching from a 5 series, take a look at BMW,VOLVO,AUDI wagons and SUV's. To me a wagon seems to make the most sense, better mpg., ride, handling.

Irish
08-25-09, 10:58
My 07' Toy. 6" suspension lift and a few more gizmos... needless to say I agree with Shivan that the milage sucks! Roughly 15 around town and about 12 pulling the 20' Sea Ray. Sold it last year due to too many vehicles. Engine always ran strong and I really enjoyed the truck but it was really thirsty! I'm 6'3", 220 and fit well inside if that helps any.
I just recently bought the wife the Audi A3 and she loves it! A3 averages 27mpg doing 100mph over 50 miles, or so I've heard... That lil 2.0T is a great engine and hits about 32mpg with her driving. I would definitely recommend taking a look at the A4 Avant/Wagon for your needs. My wife wanted a big SUV and after driving them, comparing mileage, being able to park it and convienence she opted for the baby wagon. How many times a year will you actually use it as a truck VS horrible gas mileage and the negatives that come with a truck? I would definitely recommend test driving lots of different vehicles that may suit your needs better in the long run.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9484/truck003c.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3493/truck009.jpg
Bad cell phone pic.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/5413/att726817.jpg

M4arc
08-25-09, 11:34
Hey Irish that is sweet as hell!

However, I learned the hard way that once you start lifting them and adding tires gas mileage drops like a brick. My last Toyota had a lift, 33s and different gearing and while it was cool and went like crazy off road it sucked to drive around.

My current Tacoma is basically stock with a K&N air kit and gas mileage is better than my wife's Honda mini-van.

SoDak
08-25-09, 12:33
I find the axle hop/tramp/rear wander in pickups to get annoying after a few hundred miles.

For the same money you could get a Tahoe or Yukon, which I happen to think are very nice (since I drive a Yukon).

M_P

Ride quality is overrated in my eyes. I've got a 97 dakota and that thing rides fine for me. Of course I'm accustomed to gravel roads and driving farm equipment where your suspension consists of some springs under the seat. I would think that a Frontier or Tacoma out to ride at least as good as or better than my dakota. Just note for a second though that I do not recomend a new dakota. I think the ones in the 97-04 generation were great trucks(preferably the 97-99 since they have a manually engaged transfer case), I have no love for the current dakota.

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan to haul in the bed if you got a truck? I've found the 6.5' bed on my dakota being the smallest I would go, but YMMV.

Concerning tires, this may a bit more than what you need, but I've had good luck with the toyo m55 on my family's ranch trucks. A good combination of traction and road use. Plus they are tough. The only real downside to them is the cost and limted size selection.

chadbag
08-25-09, 15:45
I just recently bought the wife the Audi A3 and she loves it! A3 averages 27mpg doing 100mph over 50 miles, or so I've heard... That lil 2.0T is a great engine and hits about 32mpg with her driving. I would definitely recommend taking a look at the A4 Avant/Wagon for your needs.

Just a note on the A3. Audi is bringing the TDI to the US this Fall in the A3. Probably won't be a Quattro though :-( But it gets 40mpg +

justin_247
08-25-09, 22:34
Just note for a second though that I do not recomend a new dakota. I think the ones in the 97-04 generation were great trucks(preferably the 97-99 since they have a manually engaged transfer case), I have no love for the current dakota.

I sold my 2005 Dakota and bought the Nissan instead. Best decision I made in a long time!

On my Dakota I had numerous problems with electrical shorts and had serious brake problems, so bad that when going downhill the slipping would be downright disturbing. Dodge did a ton of maintenance, but the issue never went away and Dodge refused to do anything else. As far as they're concerned, the issue has been resolved and no company would do any further maintenance on it. And they never figured out the short.

I'll never buy a Dodge again.

mattjmcd
08-25-09, 23:02
Irish- before this 5-series, we had an A4 Avant quattro. Killer vehicle, IMO, just a tad too small. Oddly enough, now that the girls are a bit older, I actually haul *less* since I no longer need strollers, porta-crib, etc. The dog is the x-factor that demands space these days.

I am leaning towards a 4Runner (or Forerunner, whichever) or a Highlander as first choices, with sedan options after that. The trucks have always been an option, but also a bit of an unknown.

SoDak
08-25-09, 23:55
I sold my 2005 Dakota and bought the Nissan instead. Best decision I made in a long time!

On my Dakota I had numerous problems with electrical shorts and had serious brake problems, so bad that when going downhill the slipping would be downright disturbing. Dodge did a ton of maintenance, but the issue never went away and Dodge refused to do anything else. As far as they're concerned, the issue has been resolved and no company would do any further maintenance on it. And they never figured out the short.

I'll never buy a Dodge again.

That sucks. So far I've had pretty good luck with mine. I got it from my grandpa with about 86,000 and now it's at about 140,000. I've replaced a few things, but considering it gets used as a ranch vehicle, that's to be expected. I got a ram 1500 a few years back, which I hope does as good as my dakota has.

wargasm
08-26-09, 13:06
Go for the Taco.

mr.scott
08-26-09, 13:26
They wont ride near as smooth as her 5 series.

You're right, A Chevy truck however is the Cadillac of trucks when it comes to ride quality.

kmrtnsn
08-26-09, 20:13
Cadillac ride quality? As in spongy, loose, floating all over the road kind of ride quality? Don't know if that is the most positive analogy for comparison.

Buy the Toyota.

Business_Casual
08-26-09, 21:53
You're right, A Chevy truck however is the Cadillac of trucks when it comes to ride quality.

Wouldn't Cadillac trucks be the Cadillac of trucks in any or all respects?

M_P

mr.scott
08-27-09, 10:57
Wouldn't Cadillac trucks be the Cadillac of trucks in any or all respects?

M_P

Sorry, I guess I'm from a time when Cadillac didn't make trucks and the name meant quality and luxury.

I wouldn't buy another Toyota if someone put a gun to my head.

Skter505
08-27-09, 11:13
...I wouldn't buy another Toyota if someone put a gun to my head.

Now you can't make a statement like that without explaining yourself.

mr.scott
08-27-09, 14:39
Now you can't make a statement like that without explaining yourself.

Bought the woman a 06 Toyota Sienna LE. After a week or so, the CEL and TPS (tire pressure sensor) lights came on. Also the drivers side seatbelt height adjuster broke.
Took multiple trips to get the CEL and TPS issues fixed, eventually had the TPS system completely replaced. Also had the Exhaust manifold, both 02 sensors and the cat replaced. All after driving about 200 miles.

That was when we got it. Now we tried to remove the center seat and it won't come out. The release cable is not even installed, so we have to find time to take it to the shop so they can take the seat out and fix that.
The radio sucks. You have to crank it to hear anything, but they say it's normal.
The AC sucks. On it's maximum setting it can barely keep the interior at a comfortable level. It has front and rear AC too.

On my Chevy truck, just having the AC on 1 is almost to cold for comfort. My Chevy, an 06 as well, has been in the shop 1 time in 70k miles. And that was because it was t-boned by a Mercedes. Had the whole passanger side of the truck fixed and drives just like she did before.

Business_Casual
08-27-09, 15:52
Took multiple trips to get the CEL and TPS issues fixed, eventually had the TPS system completely replaced.

TPS reports? I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Saturday.

M_P

vaspence
08-27-09, 20:15
I have a quad cab 07 Tacoma and I'll echo on the child seat comments. We have a 14 month old and the only way to put his seat in is in the middle. Still room for people on either side of him though. Love the truck, but we rented a Tahoe in CO this past June and drove all over for a week. If I was buying a vehicle strictly for the family I'd look at that or the Suburban.
If you do get the Tacoma I highly recommend buying the weather tech floor mats and the wet okole seat covers. I bought them within a week of buying the truck and they have really saved the interior.

buddyhoohaw
09-03-09, 07:50
My wife drives an '06 4Runner 4WD and I drive a '07 Taco DBL Cab 4x4 long bed and the Taco is the best truck I have ever owned. I never found baby seats to be an issue but now that my kids are 3 and 5 yrs old there is certainly more room in the rear area for gear, groceries etc. I test drove the Nissan Frontier and it just didn't seem to meet the mail in terms of power, cabin room and overall asthetics. I should also note that I treat my truck like a pick-up as I am always hauling something including my 6,000lb 23' Dusky center console. IMHO, if Toyota had offered the Taco with same V8 option as offered on the 4Runner then it would have been the ideal truck for me.

Note: the 4Runner is also an outstanding family vehicle although it does not hve a third row seat and oddly enough the smaller Highlander does?

Cheers

rob_s
09-03-09, 07:55
if Toyota had offered the Taco with same V8 option as offered on the 4Runner then it would have been the ideal truck for me.

I really wish they would put the new V6 that the 4Runner and FJ are gettingwith the 260 HP (which is right in line with what the V8 in the 4Runner was putting out) in the Tacoma . I know that HP isn't everything and there are other advantages to the V8 (my guess is that the torque numbers won't be the same, even though HP is), but it would pretty much squash the last reason to even give the Frontier a sideways glance.

kmrtnsn
09-03-09, 08:10
The new 4runner is being unveiled this month at the Texas State Fair to be ready for sale after the new year. Rob, it looks like you get your engine wish " The 4.0-liter V-6 now makes 268 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque".

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2010-toyota-4runner-loses-v-8-gets-base-four-cylinder-option/

Here are pics of the new 4runner,

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q3/2010_toyota_4runner_spotted_undisguised-car_news/gallery

M4arc
09-03-09, 08:14
The new 4runner is being unveled this month at the Texas State Fair to be ready for sale after the new year. Rob, it looks like you get your engine wish " The 4.0-liter V-6 now makes 268 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque".

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2010-toyota-4runner-loses-v-8-gets-base-four-cylinder-option/

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q3/2010_toyota_4runner_spotted_undisguised-car_news/gallery

Nice. I'll wait for the Tacoma in that style!

buddyhoohaw
09-03-09, 08:56
The new 4runner is being unveiled this month at the Texas State Fair to be ready for sale after the new year. Rob, it looks like you get your engine wish " The 4.0-liter V-6 now makes 268 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque".

I like the idea of the upgraded V-6 and I can understand dropping the V-8 however they can keep the 4-banger. IMHO, 4-cylinders are well suited to cars but not SUVs and/or pick-up trucks. I had a 95' Jeep Wrangler with a 4-cyl. and although it is neither a truck or SUV it was an underpowered POS.

Cheers

Alpha Sierra
09-03-09, 10:19
Consider the Subary Legacy and Outback.

Irish
09-03-09, 10:28

Could they have made bigger A/C knobs :confused:

kmrtnsn
09-03-09, 18:52
I'd be okay with a four cylinder.............................................Turbo Diesel!

.357sigger
09-03-09, 19:32
I was thinking about how nice a Tacoma with an inline 4 diesel would be on the way home today....:)

kmrtnsn
09-03-09, 20:09
"I wast thinking about how nice a Tacoma with an inline 4 diesel would be on the way home today...."

Yeah! A diesel, and a snorkel, and a winch, and lockout hubs and a shiftable transfer case, and.......................!

Irish
09-03-09, 20:11
I wast thinking about how nice a Tacoma with an inline 4 diesel would be on the way home today....:)

These are everywhere in Peru, Toys & Nissans. Great little climbers!

Alpha Sierra
09-03-09, 21:26
I know Chrysler gets no respect these days, but I just rolled 176K on my 01 Dakota Quad Cab. It's a 4WD with the 4.7 V8 and it has been damned near bullet proof.

The only electrical problem, ever, has been the well known AC fan resistor blowing. An $8 upgraded part that I installed fixed it for good.

The engine and transmission have been utterly bombproof. The OE LSD's clutch broke a few years back and gave me the excuse to put a Detroit Truetrac in it. Brakes have been perfect with the exception of some ocassional front disk warp. No big deal, stopping power is unchanged.

The interior looks like the day I bought it and this truck has been run in the Colorado Rockies and through lots of Kansas mud when I lived (and waterfowled) there.

Finally, after ten years (I bought this thing 9/00), the driver's side window regulator broke and I have a little bit of PS fluid weep past a seal.

I don't know about the new Dakotas, but the one I have is one hell of a truck.

Alex F
09-03-09, 21:49
I've been giving serious consideration to trading in my Yukon XL for a 4 door Taco.

Better gas mileage, not really losing that much space...

Only thing is I'd be stuck with a payment again.

Decisions!

SoDak
09-03-09, 21:53
I know Chrysler gets no respect these days, but I just rolled 176K on my 01 Dakota Quad Cab. It's a 4WD with the 4.7 V8 and it has been damned near bullet proof.

The only electrical problem, ever, has been the well known AC fan resistor blowing. An $8 upgraded part that I installed fixed it for good.

The engine and transmission have been utterly bombproof. The OE LSD's clutch broke a few years back and gave me the excuse to put a Detroit Truetrac in it. Brakes have been perfect with the exception of some ocassional front disk warp. No big deal, stopping power is unchanged.

The interior looks like the day I bought it and this truck has been run in the Colorado Rockies and through lots of Kansas mud when I lived (and waterfowled) there.

Finally, after ten years (I bought this thing 9/00), the driver's side window regulator broke and I have a little bit of PS fluid weep past a seal.

I don't know about the new Dakotas, but the one I have is one hell of a truck.

Do you think the limited slip helps much with the traction? That is the one thing I do hate about my 97 dakota, it has an open rear diff. Honestly, in 2wd that thing is pretty helpless. I've always thought about putting a limited slip in, but haven't done it since I usually could get myself free in 4wd. However, it would be very nice to have some more traction in the back so I didn't have to rely on 4wd like I do.

bluedog
09-03-09, 22:03
Toyota is still ahead in terms of quality, but they have dropped considerably. Am on toy truck #5. My 03 Prerunner, assembled in America, was a very nice truck. Changed over to an 07 Prerunner without doing my research. While the design changes are excellent, this mexican Toyota is disappointing in terms of what I expect from this marque. Among other things, brand new the cab featured wind noise one normally expects from a 5 yo truck. Am happy more or less, but wary.

gruntinhusaybah
09-04-09, 00:19
I just got myself a 2009 frontier crew cab pro 4x that is fully loaded, I effing love this truck!

It has an armrest, leather interior, a nice sound system, very good looking int/ext. the ext. is all black, door handles, bumbers grille, everything. with gunmetal wheels its a good lookin truck.

the ride was very suprising, pretty lux IMO, nicer than the taco not as nice as a BMW:p

It handles closer to a car than a truck, very tight turns, very responsive steering, VERY responsive throttle, great braking.

I really like this truck

Factory spay in bedliner 1/4" thick, tie down bracket system that is really handy.
the bed is a bit short, not a problem for me but for others it could be.
I drove a '09 taco and then this truck and to me there is no comparisson, IMO the Nissan blows the taco outta the water

Now if they will only get smart and start selling these trucks with IL 4/6 turbo deisels!

rob_s
09-04-09, 04:51
I don't mean to keep harping on this, but there's a difference between having an armrest and having a usable armrest.

I'm glad you like your truck though.

Alpha Sierra
09-04-09, 05:58
Do you think the limited slip helps much with the traction? That is the one thing I do hate about my 97 dakota, it has an open rear diff. Honestly, in 2wd that thing is pretty helpless. I've always thought about putting a limited slip in, but haven't done it since I usually could get myself free in 4wd. However, it would be very nice to have some more traction in the back so I didn't have to rely on 4wd like I do.

The Detroit Truetrac is not a locker, so it will not make a HUGE difference, but it does help quite a bit. I can't give you a quantifiable answer but I do find myself using 4WD less in winter after I installed it, particularly on cold, dry snow.

Truetracs are torque sensing helical geard diffs, much like a Quaife. No clutches and no special friction-modified oils needed.

JG1911
09-04-09, 08:49

...and it'll still sound like a vacuum cleaner. The V8 is much much smoother than the V6, and I have the 2003 V8 which was only 235hp (they added VVti in 2005 or 06) but more torque than the upgraded V8.

The new ones will be at dealers in Oct, I am really disappointed just from the pictures and specs.

Still wish they'd have made a AWD version with the 5.7l, that would really twist up the Prius owners.

rob_s
09-04-09, 09:10
...and it'll still sound like a vacuum cleaner. The V8 is much much smoother than the V6, and I have the 2003 V8 which was only 235hp (they added VVti in 2005 or 06) but more torque than the upgraded V8.

The new ones will be at dealers in Oct, I am really disappointed just from the pictures and specs.

Still wish they'd have made a AWD version with the 5.7l, that would really twist up the Prius owners.

I love everything I'm seeing about it. If I wanted a V8 I'd keep the 'Lade.

I would like to see an AWD, but that's about the only thing I've seen so far that I find lacking on the new version.

Going4Broke
09-04-09, 10:41
Buy American!:cool:

Irish
09-04-09, 11:07

What's American? Plenty of Mercedes & BMW assembled in CONUS. And Hyundai...

Alpha Sierra
09-04-09, 11:15
Reflecting on ten years of truck ownership and use as a daily driver, I can say that I would not do it again.

Unless your daily driving conditions include frequent towing, hauling of stuff that won't fit in a car, or driving in muddy and/or snowy roads, I would say buy a good car and a used, beater truck. Use the truck for what you need and nothing more.

I know there is a subculture that considers driving anything less than a 1/2 ton (3/4 ton preferred) effeminate, but I am not a part of it. Nor do I care about their opinion.

Trucks cost more to operate. They make parking more trouble than it needs to be. They do not handle nearly as well. Not even close. Even the best handling truck (a real truck not some ridiculous low rider job) cannot compare to a Honda Civic, VW Golf, or Ford Focus.

I will most likely be buying a new car next year. Whatever I buy it will not be a truck. I will keep my Dakota for real truck duties, my wife's Chrysler Pacifica (awesome cruiser) for longer trips with the family, and will most likely buy a Honda Fit for my own use.

rob_s
09-04-09, 11:20
I tried doing the car thing, with a 2005 GTO, and if it hadn't been for the performance aspect I would have gotten rid of it the first week. I HATED being in a car, especially a relatively small car (and the GTO wasn't exactly tiny). Nowhere to put shit, no impromptu Home Depot trips or range trips, no way to tote people , etc. If it had been something like a Civic I would have driven it into the ocean and walked away.

I wish I could deal with a car, but I can't. Sometimes I do wish I had just bought a 2000 Cherokee for cash and used that when I needed truck duty and kept the GTO, but adding in other cars just adds all sorts of other headaches, not the least of which is making the house look like a trailer park.

One of our shooters has a VW minivan, and had a Caravan or something like that before it. Great idea for the hauling and all that, but to me it just gets all the bad performance of a truck with none of the benefits of things like ground clearance or towing capacity.

But, every so often I do go back to eyeballing the Subaru Outback, and the 2010 has made some positive changes with more HP in the larger non-turbo version that makes me want to go look at one again.

LOKNLOD
09-04-09, 11:31
If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that all of our wants and needs from vehicles are far more divergent than our taste in guns. Some of the opinions in this thread make no sense to me ;) That's not a bad thing -- and this is not a dig on anyone personal tastes -- just interesting.

JG1911
09-04-09, 11:58
I love everything I'm seeing about it. If I wanted a V8 I'd keep the 'Lade.

I would like to see an AWD, but that's about the only thing I've seen so far that I find lacking on the new version.

The Limited is full time 4WD... in fact I think all the 4WD models are full time 4WD. According to a alleged dealer spec sheet I saw.

The Limited isn't the one to get, the Trail Edition is as it'll have the KDSS which has great on-road performance (even though it is played up for off-road) the Limited is supposed to have the X-reas again, which are super on road until they start to leak. You're stuck with 20" wheels on the Limited (try finding good AT tires in 20", not Revo's in 20") and the 3rd row... The Trail Edition has a sliding read deck that'll hold a little over 400lbs and you can get leather, but it has that dumb hoodscoop. But, the TE will have black bumpers, not color match to the body.

It'll have a USB port too and back up camera in the rearview mirror.

I'm not as excited as I was, but I'm trying to keep an open mind until I drive one.

toyota-4runner.org has posted a bunch of documents from Toyota.

I'm trying to stare at the photos long enough to make myself like the body style.

Rock Nova
09-04-09, 12:53
Right! Buy the Frontier! :cool:

Powertrain produced in Decherd, TN.
Truck produced in Smyrna, TN.

M4arc
09-04-09, 13:10
Right! Buy the Frontier! :cool:

Powertrain produced in Decherd, TN.
Truck produced in Smyrna, TN.

Same with Honda and Toyota. Meanwhile a lot American cars are being made in Mexico and Canada.

SkiDevil
09-04-09, 23:51
For the next family vehicle, I am thinking of going in a totally new direction. These 2 vehicles (or others like them ) are dark horse contenders for a new family ride. I have my wife in a 5-series right now, and we love it. Before that, it was an Audi Avant, which we also liked a lot.

I have 2 little-ish kids and have also added a K9 to the mix. As such, another wagonesque vehicle is likely to be the next choice. I am eying the Forerunner or possibly a Pathfinder, among others. Still, I don't want to rule out a pickup that can seat 4.

Most driving is routine suburban go-getting, and some long haul driving up to 4-6 hours. Weather is usually good. When it's bad, it's wet. but no snow. (I am a SoCal) Most of the driving in THIS rig would be done by the wife, who is not opposed to a truck but has never really driven one.

Because I live in SoCal myself (unless you are in the mountains) I would venture to say that weather will problaby NOT be a significant factor in day-to-day driving around town.

That said if I had children, then I would seriously look at the following three vehicles.

1. Mercedes Wagon
2. Volvo Wagon AWD
3. Subaru Wagon AWD

My personal preference would be with the Volvo. After writing a few Traffic Collision reports and seeing some pretty mangled-up cars I would lean towards this brand. Volvo is synomous with safety and they even invented the seatbelt design all of use every day. Their vehicles are well made and offer plenty of features as well as more performance than one would think from a wagon. Almost every engine in the larger wagons/ sedans are turbo-charged and the wagon is produced in an AWD version.

Down-sides
1. Fairly expensive
2. Usually dealer only service/ repairs required
3. Some don't care for the "boxy" appearance.

My Mother's best friend owned a Turbo Wagon and I used to laugh at stories of her tearing around Brentwood in it, until I drove-it. Those cars are fast and handle well. Plus, there is plenty of room in the back for a dog and a few kids.

If you are looking to spend less than $30K, then the Subaru is a great choice as well. I ski with several people who drive Outbacks. They are very well made wagons and offer great performance for what you pay. Basically Toyota quality and the vehicles are assembled in Japan which means the assembly/ fit will hold-up for a while if you plan on keeping it. I have also driven most of the Subaru (I was contemplating buying one myself) models and they all handle pretty well.

Best of Luck,
SkiDevil

P.S. I owned a Toyota Tacoma for several years and it was a reliable and great truck for off-roading and driving in inclement weather. However, one thing that has unfortunately changed is the quality of their vehicles. Toyota Motor Corp. has started to cut corners just like a lot of other manufacturers: both foreign and domestic.

Definitely do your research before buying any vehicle. Consumer Reports is a good place to start.

Alpha Sierra
09-05-09, 05:38
My Mother's best friend owned a Turbo Wagon and I used to laugh at stories of her tearing around Brentwood in it, until I drove-it. Those cars are fast and handle well. Plus, there is plenty of room in the back for a dog and a few kids.
You found out why Volvo V70 turbos are one of the preferred cars of UK police forces for highway patrol duty.

If you are looking to spend less than $30K, then the Subaru is a great choice as well. I ski with several people who drive Outbacks. They are very well made wagons and offer great performance for what you pay. Basically Toyota quality and the vehicles are assembled in Japan which means the assembly/ fit will hold-up for a while if you plan on keeping it.
Not so, for the most part. The only US market Subaru made 100% in Japan is the Impreza. All others are produced here and there, and the majority of US market Subarus come from Subaru of Indiana Automotive Corporation in Lafayette. SoIA also assembles Camrys for Toyota.

kmrtnsn
09-05-09, 11:01
I'm on my third Subaru. I have a 2006 Outback Wagon now, loaded with everything. On road trips with the cruise set at 82 mph I can average 25.2 mpg. Subaru is now 20% owned by Toyota.

Alex F
09-05-09, 11:59
2. Volvo Wagon AWD

My personal preference would be with the Volvo. After writing a few Traffic Collision reports and seeing some pretty mangled-up cars I would lean towards this brand. Volvo is synomous with safety and they even invented the seatbelt design all of use every day. Their vehicles are well made and offer plenty of features as well as more performance than one would think from a wagon. Almost every engine in the larger wagons/ sedans are turbo-charged and the wagon is produced in an AWD version.

My ex has a volvo wagon and it goes like a bat out of hell. I definitely recommend them.

drrufo
09-05-09, 12:42
Do not buy a Volvo if you are not prepared to spend time and money maintaining it.

I am on my 6th Volvo and I love my 2001 v70 turbo. It carries my motorized scooter and the ramp to put in my car. It will do 100 mph all day long, my son averaged 80 mph from Cal to Tex. It will last for many, many miles.......IF you maintain it.

I paid 20 k for it used and have put about another 12k into for various fixes that should have reduced the price of purchase.

If I were to buy a new car today, it would be either a Nissan Frontier or a Subaru wagon.

JA

JHC
09-05-09, 21:12
FWIW I'm a big fan of Nissan's X-based Xterra and Frontier. I've got a 2000 and 2004 (both 1st gen) Xterras and nothing ever breaks on them. It's just gas and PM. Nothing fancy or refined about them. But they get it done. MPG in the high teens mostly. These Gen 1s are all over the place and a pretty good used truck value IMO.

perna
09-05-09, 21:44
Here is my truck, 2002 frontier.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/pernanets/IM000058.jpg

KiraX105
09-06-09, 14:18
I had an 01 Frontier King Cab for 8 years. It was great when it was just me, the wife and the dog. Then the little one came around and now I have an 09 Xterra. I loved my Frontier and still miss it to this day, but my X is even more capable than the Frontier

SMC527
09-06-09, 16:28
I have an 01 toyota double cab (bought it new) with 225K miles on it with almost no troubles. I will buy toiyotas whenever possible from now on due to the quality of this truck

kmrtnsn
09-10-09, 20:52
Well, here it is. I think it looks like a '55 International but maybe the looks will grow on you.

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2010-toyota-4runner/

rob_s
09-11-09, 03:36
Well, here it is. I think it looks like a '55 International but maybe the looks will grow on you.

I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the purists already. It makes me want to buy two. :D

LOKNLOD
09-11-09, 07:50
I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the purists already. It makes me want to buy two. :D

As a bit of a purist.... I kinda like it, and I think it'll look a lot better if they publish a picture of it with truck wheels and tires instead of looking like it's sitting on a Camry chassis :p I see FJ Cruiser and Tundra design influences. In the past the Taco has followed the 4runners design cues, I wonder if that will happen this time or if they'll take it in a different direction. The cargo area looks cool, although i wonder if in practice it'll really provide more functionality or if it'll just be gadgetry to wear/break 3 years down the road and get tossed in the trash.

Alex F
09-11-09, 08:04
I like it a lot, actually.

I'll still probably get a Tacoma though :D

JG1911
09-11-09, 11:49

Those pictures were copped from toyota-4runner.org bastards. The grey version was worked over with photoshop.

At any rate, if you go to the site/forums the guy who did the grey photoshop did a bunch of versions in different colors, 20", 17", and 18" wheels (with AT tires) , 2" lift, and off road lights.

There is also a full interior picture up.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=54601

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=54602

I like it, 'specially w/ the mod'ed pictures. Still want a V8 though, not sure about a V6 full-time AWD in the Limited. I may stall a year and see if they make any running changes (getting rid of the mast ant and adding the V8, add the KDSS to the Limited model).

I'm not totally sure of the sliding cargo area, I've never had problems reaching stuff in my 4th Gen. It also looks like you won't have a flat deck w/ the rear seats down. Having a cubby under it makes it attractive (drill a hole where that latch is and install a pad lock, if possible.)

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20886&stc=1&d=1252614792

buddyhoohaw
09-11-09, 12:52
I kinda like the idea of the sliding cargo area; hopefully it functions better than the split-level shelf. My wifes '05 4-runner has the afforementioned split-level cargo area shelf and when it is in the flatened position any items not secured by the supplied cargo net will roll out when opening the hatch. I have learned this over and over the hard way and each time I think to myself 'why the **** didn't I remember this from the last time I busted a gallon of milk on the goddam concrete driveway?'

Tripwire
09-11-09, 17:37
This is a step to the dark side.... BUT, I have a Dodge 3500 4x4 quad cab Diesel ,I love it, it's big as a tank, gets 20 mpg if I stop driving it like a race car.

But I looked into the VW Jetta Sportwagon, Diesel, they chip out at 135 but show 160 on the speedo, big deal I know... they get around 45 to 50 MPG...and have roof airbags as well as side AB's snappy, and safer then a lot of others.. except I'm 6' 6" short and not skinny... also big reason is they are damn hard to find, and even in Montana I seldom ever need 4x4 and FWD works just fine...

Can't haul an Elk out with the VW tho...:D

Tripwire

Honu
09-11-09, 23:57
As a bit of a purist.... I kinda like it, and I think it'll look a lot better if they publish a picture of it with truck wheels and tires instead of looking like it's sitting on a Camry chassis :p I see FJ Cruiser and Tundra design influences. In the past the Taco has followed the 4runners design cues, I wonder if that will happen this time or if they'll take it in a different direction. The cargo area looks cool, although i wonder if in practice it'll really provide more functionality or if it'll just be gadgetry to wear/break 3 years down the road and get tossed in the trash.

but you could slide out the rear to sit and watch your new neighbors :)

heheheh

Honu
09-12-09, 00:00
actually the slide out rear is kinda cool for some :) but agree it could be a pain for others ?

in the expedition world of offroaders slides are very common to build aftermarket but usually as a drawer system so you can put stuff on top then slide out the drawer below with your recovery gear or camping gear etc..

looks ??? have to wait and see it in person
like the FJ I think its going to be a love or hate crowd maybe ?

rob_s
09-12-09, 05:49
I have mixed feelings about the slider as well. Seems cool at first, but I wonder if it wouldn't get aggravating after a while. I can just imagine something rolling off the front edge of the platform and getting stuck such that you can't close the damn hatch.

If I keep my current ride, or even wind up with one of these, I'm planning on building a storage box for the rear anyway, so I don't know how/if the slider would help me at all.

rob_s
09-12-09, 05:58
There is also a full interior picture up.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=54601

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=54602

Christ what a bunch of whiney bitches. And some of their "experts" are talking about cars in their high school parking lots? Ugh.

I'm having a hard time reading through the drivel there to find the pics.

I do like that the consensus among them appears to be that they hate the new looks. I found my wailing a gnashing of teeth!

kmrtnsn
09-12-09, 11:50
My wife has a slide-out locker/safe/drawer thingy in the back of her ride (Tahoe PPV) that I covet. You can get about a dozen M4's in it and still have room for other goodies and it is easy to load on top of and from the outside you have no idea that the thing is in there.

loupav
09-12-09, 13:20
Everyone I know who owns a Taco, not matter what year, loves it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a tacoma.

JG1911
09-12-09, 15:26
Christ what a bunch of whiney bitches. And some of their "experts" are talking about cars in their high school parking lots? Ugh.

I'm having a hard time reading through the drivel there to find the pics.

I do like that the consensus among them appears to be that they hate the new looks. I found my wailing a gnashing of teeth!

Deep breath Rob, just look at the pictures.

rob_s
09-12-09, 19:11
Deep breath Rob, just look at the pictures.

I know, I know. I just forgot that car forums trump even gun forums in silliness.

I really love that the lack of a V8 option is to horrendous to these guys, as is the idea that someone might want a 4R as a road vehicle that has a little extra ground clearance and oomph so they can take it offroad in limited use as needed.

I have no shame in the fact that this is what my 4R will do if I buy one.

kmrtnsn
09-12-09, 19:32
I wouldn't expect to see many more V8 options in the future as car manufacturers push to lower their corporate fuel economy averages. Ford is already talking a turbo-4 for many of their light trucks.

JG1911
09-13-09, 13:14
I think you'll see Toyota offer the V8 in 6mo to 1yr, they'd be silly not to as the 4R main competitor is the Jeep GC w/ has a V8 option.

I want the V8 simply for it's towing ability, I can tow things my friend's with the V6 have trouble with... Though the new V6 is an upgrade (in HP if not torque) over the 2003-2005 V8, which is what I have.

All in all, I want one for the same reason you stated... They are good trucks, they drive well and are reliable, I like being higher up, and I only need to drive on the lousy dirty roads to the range and hunting camp, maybe jump a median or center divider every now and then. The fact that a bunch of people get wrapped around the axle because Toyota didn't design a truck for the less than 1% who really off-road the truck is a bit of out touch, that's why companies make lift kits and what not.

I'll eye the Trail Edition simply because it has the roll out deck and the KDSS. I'll just have the black bumpers painted to match the truck, though the full-time 4WD makes the Limited more attractive. We'll see in Oct when we can actually drive one.

LockenLoad
09-13-09, 21:40

M_P

never experienced this, I do buy full size trucks, Tahoe's do not work for me, no bed and pull less

Alpha Sierra
09-14-09, 05:42
never experienced this (axle hop), I do buy full size trucks,
Have you ever driven a pick up with an empty bed over a rough road at anything faster than a crawl, particularly around a bend?

I get axle hop on many freeway on ramps with noticeable expansion joints or ripples as I accelerate to merge. Happens to all solid rear axle vehicles, but it is worst in those with a front biased weight distribution.

LockenLoad
09-14-09, 06:23
Have you ever driven a pick up with an empty bed over a rough road at anything faster than a crawl, particularly around a bend?

I get axle hop on many freeway on ramps with noticeable expansion joints or ripples as I accelerate to merge. Happens to all solid rear axle vehicles, but it is worst in those with a front biased weight distribution.

yep you got me on a wash board road yes, some but it has never been a problem, I run a 305 wide tire no lift though ( not sure this helps me or not), and I do have a tool box but it's toward the front, maybe I am axle hopping and to dumb to know it, I have only had 4 cars, and 9 trucks so maybe I am used to it. chevy 2008 1500 4x4 extended cab

uwe1
09-14-09, 18:22
I currently own an Acura TL and MDX and have no prior experience with trucks. Lately, my wife and I have been talking about possibly getting a truck. We have two little ones so it has to be able to transport us fairly comfortably, but also have the ability to haul. I want to be able to have offroad capability as I plan on taking it hunting/camping. We definitely wanted something with a flatbed, but have a decent ride. We've been eyeballing people driving Toyota Tundras with large cabs, Chevy Avalanches, Honda Ridgelines, and Nissan Frontier/Titans. I saw some mentions for the Tundra and Frontier in the posts, but has anyone had experience with Avalanches, Ridgelines, and Titans?

Kimbo
09-14-09, 21:02
Go with the Yota.....I drive a Tundra and I love it.

Honu
09-14-09, 23:24
I am a toyota fan :)

in the islands they are very common and you see them the most for reasons they last the longest :)

our old quad cab taco was great till it got stolen :(

as far as the ridgelines go ? they are very cool for what they are but are not a real truck IMHO :)
if you are on the road %95+ of the time and your camping needs are more dirt road then it opens up a lot and might be worth looking at ?
I have not driven them but have friends that had them and loved them as a family fun rig
I am more the landcruiser type though :)

kmrtnsn
09-27-09, 01:00
Pics, video, and a review of the 2010 4Runner.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=157853?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3.*

JG1911
09-27-09, 14:52
Truck Trend has a good one:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/suv/163_0909_2010_toyota_4runner_trail_edition/index.html

Even they miss the V8.

One thing that has come out, that seems to concern quite a few people, is the lack of a center diff on the part-time 4WD models (SR5 and Trail Ed.) You cannot drive it on the pavement in 4W-H (you can on the 4th Gen models). People who live in nasty winter places aren't thrilled with this.

Here's a jillion pictures from Toyota of the different models, the Limited looks good!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/photo.aspx?ncid=11092#commentsform

rob_s
09-27-09, 15:11
Truck Trend says it's 400 lbs heavier. I couldn't care less about the stupid V8, but that is a step in the wrong direction.

Dunderway
09-27-09, 18:37
Toyota has always screwed us here in the states. I have driven some of the coolest Toys ever in Latin America, but they won't sell them here because the average American consumer cares more about how cool they look going to get groceries than off-road performance.

See some examples here:

http://www.brian894x4.com/FOREIGNTOYOTAMAINPAGE.html

ETA: I really want an FJ70. http://www.brian894x4.com/images/funrace70a.jpg

kmrtnsn
09-27-09, 18:47
There is a big difference between the market here in the U.S. and the third world. Toyota is not "screwing with us". Many of these vehicle don't meet U.S. safety and emission requirements. Many of the market segments for the vehicles that you want are so small as to be impossible to make or import the vehicle at a competitive price point or for a profit. Many of these vehicle are also subject to huge import duties, enacted to protect or domestic manufacturers; you ever wonder what happened to all of the two door SUVs? Congress killed them. Don't blame Toyota for a lot of factors that are beyond their control.

Dunderway
09-27-09, 18:59
There is a big difference between the market here in the U.S. and the third world. Toyota is not "screwing with us". Many of these vehicle don't meet U.S. safety and emission requirements. Many of the market segments for the vehicles that you want are so small as to be impossible to make or import the vehicle at a competitive price point or for a profit. Many of these vehicle are also subject to huge import duties, enacted to protect or domestic manufacturers; you ever wonder what happened to all of the two door SUVs? Congress killed them. Don't blame Toyota for a lot of factors that are beyond their control.

That was a very poor choice of words on my part. I understand that they are a business, and don't sell some of these vehicles here for obvious reasons. I remember the two door import deal also.

I still find it crazy that they wouldn't want to compete with the Wrangler for all of these years. Jeep has owned that market for the last 20 years. Look at how many serious off-roaders still keep their beaten old FJ40s running after all of these years. I'm just a little surprised that the 70 never transitioned to the U.S. market. Toyota does build trucks in the U.S. afterall.

JG1911
09-29-09, 00:36
Truck Trend says it's 400 lbs heavier. I couldn't care less about the stupid V8, but that is a step in the wrong direction.

Which is why I would prefer the 8... Toyota did a great job improving the V6 which is pretty impressive, but then they added 400lbs to the truck.

It's kind of a marketing fail on their part. You're going to have a bunch of guys with the V8 who won't upgrade from a perfectly good truck. If they do, they'll look at the JGC.

It depends on your wants/needs... The new V6 would have been great w/o the 400lb increase.

In it's current state, I have a previous generation truck that is faster, smoother, lighter, and can tow more than the top of the line new model, with an outdated motor (4.7l)... and I don't even have the 4.5 Gen improved V8.

Love the design of the truck though.

I bet you see a 4.6l by May/June... I remember how fast Toyota got rid of the gray cladding in 2003. I'm going to be curious to see how many of the I4's they sell, I want to drive one to see how much of a dog it is.

kmrtnsn
09-29-09, 00:45
I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to speak with a member of Toyota's marketing management team at the unveiling of the new FJ. At that encounter I was told that Toyota sells more SUV models in the US than most of its competitors combined. Toyota's position then was that adding additional models to its portfolio would merely force them to compete against themselves than take market share from their competitors. The vehicle that I really wanted that isn't coming was the gas powered version of the A-Bat. All I need is a small 4x4 capable pick-up to clutter the driveway with about 5k miles a year. I had high hopes for the Jeep J8 but is was not to be (at an affordable price, $50K for a driveway queen was too much).

buddyhoohaw
10-02-09, 10:24
Taco Pron

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/Taco/Taco-08.jpg

Cheers

c0b2a
10-02-09, 13:34
Hands down I would recommend the Tacoma. I got my 2008 the week I got back from Iraq and I love it. No complaints. Here are a few photos I took of it.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3669525891_d12902945d_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3669521741_37f81f399f_b.jpg

rob_s
10-08-09, 11:54
Which is why I would prefer the 8... Toyota did a great job improving the V6 which is pretty impressive, but then they added 400lbs to the truck.

It's kind of a marketing fail on their part. You're going to have a bunch of guys with the V8 who won't upgrade from a perfectly good truck. If they do, they'll look at the JGC.

It depends on your wants/needs... The new V6 would have been great w/o the 400lb increase.

In it's current state, I have a previous generation truck that is faster, smoother, lighter, and can tow more than the top of the line new model, with an outdated motor (4.7l)... and I don't even have the 4.5 Gen improved V8.

Love the design of the truck though.

I bet you see a 4.6l by May/June... I remember how fast Toyota got rid of the gray cladding in 2003. I'm going to be curious to see how many of the I4's they sell, I want to drive one to see how much of a dog it is.

I am back to considering this a non-issue. The 2009 V6 4Runner is a 4k lb vehicle, and the V8 is 4300 lbs. So in reality the new truck is only 100 lbs heavier when comparing like HP.

Would I still prefer to have it be 4k lbs and 265 hp? Yes. Does the new V6 still have a better hp:lbs ratio? Yep. Do I think we're likely to ever see a V8 in the new body style given the global economy and gas concerns? not from the factory. Does that bother me at all? Not anymore.

JG1911
10-12-09, 01:45
I am back to considering this a non-issue. The 2009 V6 4Runner is a 4k lb vehicle, and the V8 is 4300 lbs. So in reality the new truck is only 100 lbs heavier when comparing like HP.

Would I still prefer to have it be 4k lbs and 265 hp? Yes. Does the new V6 still have a better hp:lbs ratio? Yep. Do I think we're likely to ever see a V8 in the new body style given the global economy and gas concerns? not from the factory. Does that bother me at all? Not anymore.

Your point is very valid Rob and I don't really disagree with you... However, you are not including torque in your argument.

I don't have the torque specs for the 4.7l V8 4Runner... I know mine is a little over 310'lbs. The mid-generation refresh where the V8 got VVTI (more HP, no huge change in torque) would clock 0-60 around 7.2sec... Compare that to the 7.8-8.2sec figures by various test articles. The new 4.6l delivers 327lbs of torque vs. 278lbs on the new V6. Don't forget that the HP figures are at the motor, you're going to lose 20-25% of that in the drivetrain for the fulltime 4wd Limited.

I want a 4Runner that moves, quickly... The whole V6 vs V8 for off-road is stupid, I'm not a big tower so I don't care about the capacity (though I have had to move friend's boats because their V6 had trouble getting it up a hill or bridge). In the end, I'm stepping down in quickness, though the increased fuel economy would be welcome.

I don't think you're wrong, we're just after different things. I personally cannot wait to drive one and then have a more well informed opinion.

My only real concern at this point are the comments of "cheapness" from some people who have seen/sat in one, I hope those statements are BS.

Now, toss a TRD supercharger on the new model and we're cooking.

**Mind you, the new V6 looks good on paper with a 34hp increase... But the torque is only increased by 12ftlbs, yet there is that +400lb increase in vehicle weight. Like I said, it'll be interesting to drive one, post your thoughts when you do.

M4arc
02-28-10, 10:38

I brought this thread back up because if anyone is looking for REVO 2s tirerack.com FINALLY has them back in stock! I just purchased four this morning but I've been trying to buy them since we originally discussed them here!

Any way, if you're looking for them you better hurry up and buy them because they don't stay in stock for long.

After I get them installed I'll report back on their performance. First trip will be to the mountains and the second trip will be to Corolla.

LOKNLOD
02-28-10, 11:21
I brought this thread back up because if anyone is looking for REVO 2s tirerack.com FINALLY has them back in stock! I just purchased four this morning but I've been trying to buy them since we originally discussed them here!

Any way, if you're looking for them you better hurry up and buy them because they don't stay in stock for long.

After I get them installed I'll report back on their performance. First trip will be to the mountains and the second trip will be to Corolla.

Interested in hearing your reports... My Taco will be due for new tires soon and I'm still undecided as to the route I want to go.

Kentucky Cop
02-28-10, 14:02
As far as tires go I have had great luck with the BFG All terrains. Had them on my Cherokee V8, then a wrangler, and now on my Chevy 2500. Love them. Great all around traction and they wear good.

PS- I am in love with the new Rock Warrior as far as the Toyota talk goes. I wonder what a TACO would look like with the package. Another good site to check out with is TundraTalk. Good forum with lots of talk and pics of not only Tundras but also TACO"s also. I miss the thread we had going on all the military pics of TACO's in action with special forces. Loved it!

Okay, I will be quiet now.

KC

M4arc
02-28-10, 14:09
As far as tires go I have had great luck with the BFG All terrains. Had them on my Cherokee V8, then a wrangler, and now on my Chevy 2500. Love them. Great all around traction and they wear good.

PS- I am in love with the new Rock Warrior as far as the Toyota talk goes. I wonder what a TACO would look like with the package. Another good site to check out with is TundraTalk. Good forum with lots of talk and pics of not only Tundras but also TACO"s also. I miss the thread we had going on all the military pics of TACO's in action with special forces. Loved it!

Okay, I will be quiet now.

KC

You mean this one: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35814

:D

Kentucky Cop
02-28-10, 15:25
Thats one of my favorite threads on here. Very interesting with all the pics. Thanks

KC