PDA

View Full Version : Gun Belt - Wilderness Tactical?

jakeb
08-24-09, 11:50
Hey Guys,

Put on some weight...in a good way and need a new daily gun belt. Have worn leather for years and I'm now interested in the Wilderness belts out of the nature of incremental sizing changes.

The question I post to you is...should I get the polymer insert?

My main carry weapons are a G19 and a Kel-Tec PF9. I carry IWB and OWB and usually have a spare mag on the belt also.

This belt would also serve double duty for training days when using my BladeTech OWB for the G19 and mag carriers.

Thanks in advance for any responses...I do appreciate the help.

- Jake

rob_s
08-24-09, 11:56
My vote is no insert. I had a Galco version of the same belt years ago with a plastic lining and it was too stiff. Today I have a Galco and a Wilderness, neither of them with the plastic.

Tennvol12345
08-24-09, 13:03
get the 5 stitch. No insert needed.

zushwa
08-24-09, 13:51
get the 5 stitch. No insert needed.

+1. I've carried a glock 17, 2 pistol mags and a M4 mag on a 5 stitch with NO problems. I can't imagine an insert. No need for your loadout.

Jay870
08-24-09, 14:38
I prefer the CSM models with the poly insert

andre3k
08-24-09, 14:51
I have the csm model with the poly insert and it velcro stitching came off after a few years and i didn't even use wear it that much. But it was a good gun belt while it lasted.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-24-09, 22:35
Its not necessary but I prefer the CSM (polymer insert) version.

I have both a CSM Frequent flyer belt and a normal 5 stitch instructor belt. I really like the additional stiffness of the CSM belt, I don't thing its absolutely necessary but I find that IWB carry w/ my G19 and VMII is even more comfortable.

Just make sure you are precise in your waist measurements, I like to try to have the thick portion of the belt run as completely around my waist as possible for the most comfort.

GU

M4Fundi
08-25-09, 03:32
I use the 1 1/2 inch 5 Stitch with IWB, spare mag and light carrier. If you were carrying OWB, cuffs, spare mags, light etc. then the insert might be warranted. IMHO;)

I use the 1 3/4 inch 5 stitch for a S&W 629 on horseback with no complaints.

Be very careful when reading the directions on the measurements:confused: They have no mercy on mistakes:eek:

MIKE G
08-25-09, 11:47

Irish
08-25-09, 11:56
They have no mercy on mistakes:eek:

Go to the store in person, in Scottsdale, and they'll custom make you as many as you want until you're completely happy :D I use the 5 stitch with great results carrying everything from G19 to a 5" 1911 with great results. For reference I wear a 36" waist on my jeans and my belt size from Wilderness is 40.

Shane1
08-25-09, 12:21
My 1st was a 5 Stitch, no insert, purchased like 10 years ago. Wore it for everyday for years, including my .Mil duties and Iraq. My current is the Frequent Flyer with the insert. I run a 1.5" belt so I wanted the extra stiffness. I wear my G23 or 35 , spare mags,and cuffs on my belt when I am plainclothes. You cant really go wrong with either.

JBone870
08-25-09, 12:39
the FF with 5 stitch is all you need.

Mark/MO
08-25-09, 17:56
+1 on the 5 stitch belts.

Mine is a 5 stitch and is plenty stiff, I can't imagine it with an insert in it. BTW, mine is about 5 years old and while I don't wear it every day it sees a lot of use and has held up great.

diverge
08-25-09, 19:11
Got a couple belts with the insert and I like it. It does provide more support which means more comfort for most. You don't need it for what you are carrying.

M4Fundi
08-25-09, 23:44
I know a custom saddlemaker that makes VERY hi end western belts and for the LE that can wear western duty belts (carrying a full set of kit) he has them bring in their old belt which has shaped itself to their body and he then cuts a sheet metal insert to match the shape of the well worn belt and then builds a beautiful western belt around the metal insert. I can see the benefits of the inserts for some.

htxred
08-27-09, 00:04
i have a similiar but cheaper version, uncle mike's instructor belt. i've worn it everyday for about 2 years now and its still holding up.

carry everything from glocks to 1911s, comp-tac holsters and milt sparks

AlanD
08-27-09, 18:43
It depends.

Shorter belts are stiffer, so if you are thin the insert is probably not necessary.

Wider belts are stiffer, so again not needed on most 1 3/4" belt.

Personally I use a 34" 1 3/4 5-stitch with a full size 1911.

jakeb
08-27-09, 19:13
Everyone...

THANK YOU!

Your input is very appreciated. This forum is consistently a great resource for me.

Thank You!