PDA

View Full Version : Ejection

tigs40cal
08-24-09, 21:36
I got 15-1800 rounds through my M&P15A. About the last 200 has started ejecting brass from straight out to the front about 30deg. I have noticed a shiny spot on the ejection port in front of the deflector. No marks on deflector since this started so I guess the brass is whacking the ejection port a going out or forward. Would the extractor spring cause this and if not what would? I would appreciate any help.

Heavy Metal
08-24-09, 22:03
Your recoil spring is getting softer, your action is getting smoother, your gas port is getting larger and the rifle is cycling faster.

This is changing the timing of the cycle and causing the brass to bounce forward off of the deflector where before it was not smacking it nearly as hard.

Changing to a load with a higher port pressure could also account for this.

tigs40cal
08-24-09, 22:20
I don't think the last 200 rounds have touched the deflector as there has not been a mark on it. looks like brass is slamming the ejection port at the back by the shiny spot I mentioned above. I ran 1k of S&B M193 first then about 500 or so of Canned Heat. Just ran some more S&B last weekend and it's doing the same thing. Is this common with so few rounds? What is the fix, full auto carrier? new buffer spring? All the above?:confused: Thanks for any help

Col_Crocs
08-25-09, 00:22
I agree with HeavyMetal. It could be any of the things he mentioned.
As for the spot where your casings hit, it usually bounces off the edge of the deflector and flies forward, in your case, it's simply bouncing off even before the edge of the deflector, the rear of the ejection port from what you said. Pics would be good.
Check your spring, switch to a heavier buffer if youre still running a CAR and yes an auto carrier.

bkb0000
08-25-09, 00:27
the only thing i'd change is how much you pay attention to your brass ejection...

tigs40cal
08-25-09, 18:35
Ok, I will check spring length. If I change spring and buffer should I go with heavy or H2 buffer with what is described above? Thanks for the help.

Thomas M-4
08-25-09, 18:58
Ok, I will check spring length. If I change spring and buffer should I go with heavy or H2 buffer with what is described above? Thanks for the help.

Tactical springs carbine buffer spring standard rate and a H-1 or H-2 buffer H-1 if you shoot a lot of .223 pressure ammo an H-2 if you shoot mostly 5.56 pressure ammo.

tigs40cal
08-25-09, 20:22
Tactical springs carbine buffer spring standard rate and a H-1 or H-2 buffer H-1 if you shoot a lot of .223 pressure ammo an H-2 if you shoot mostly 5.56 pressure ammo.
Tactical spring it is and H2 buffer. May get both buffers just in case I need to back off a little. Thanks Thomas.

MSP "Sarge"
08-25-09, 21:59
I just replaced my buffer and spring. Went to a H2 and replaced my spring with a CS flat spring. I really enjoyed shooting it . Ran 150 rounds through it . All I can say is nice! Also replace the extractor spring , insert and o ring with the kit from BCM .

tigs40cal
08-26-09, 06:00
I just replaced my buffer and spring. Went to a H2 and replaced my spring with a CS flat spring. I really enjoyed shooting it . Ran 150 rounds through it . All I can say is nice! Also replace the extractor spring , insert and o ring with the kit from BCM .
Thats what is going in mine. I ordered all the above from Grant last night.:D

C4IGrant
08-26-09, 09:11
Thats what is going in mine. I ordered all the above from Grant last night.:D

Good deal and you will notice a much softer shooting weapon.

C4

tigs40cal
08-26-09, 17:10
Good deal and you will notice a much softer shooting weapon.

C4

Hey Grant, it's been a while. Hope you and yours are well. Send that stuff on it's going in the 15A you sold me a couple of years ago;)

tigs40cal
08-30-09, 07:26
I am being told by someone that when I pull my charging all the way back the bolt should stick 1/4"to 3/8" past the ejection port. Because mine only sticks past 1/8 -3/16" that this is my problem, not a buffer issue. I checked my my SPR build which has an A2 stock and the bolt retracts to the exact same spot.:confused: I was told to cut the tube and that would move the bolt forward from where it stops now and this would stop my problem. I am not a smith but this don't sound right to me. What do you think?

Failure2Stop
08-30-09, 09:11
I am being told by someone that when I pull my charging all the way back the bolt should stick 1/4"to 3/8" past the ejection port. Because mine only sticks past 1/8 -3/16" that this is my problem, not a buffer issue. I checked my my SPR build which has an A2 stock and the bolt retracts to the exact same spot.:confused: I was told to cut the tube and that would move the bolt forward from where it stops now and this would stop my problem. I am not a smith but this don't sound right to me. What do you think?

BS.
The place that the bolt is retained to is dictated by the lower receiver.

I would clean and lube the ejector (seems like I am turning into the ejector fairy) before replacing, changing, altering, or measuring anything. Very frequently this will solve slow ejection problems.

tigs40cal
08-30-09, 09:54
BS.
The place that the bolt is retained to is dictated by the lower receiver.

I would clean and lube the ejector (seems like I am turning into the ejector fairy) before replacing, changing, altering, or measuring anything. Very frequently this will solve slow ejection problems.
BS is what I was thinking. Ejector is fine, clean, lubed no brass particles. I feel like when I change extractor spring and add the new spring and buffer that Grant is sending me I will be GTG. Thanks for the reply;)

Col_Crocs
08-30-09, 19:01
I feel like when I change extractor spring and add the new spring and buffer that Grant is sending me I will be GTG. Thanks for the reply;)

Keep us posted on your progress.

tigs40cal
09-06-09, 11:58
I installed a BMC extractor spring and off to the range I go this morning. Fired eight rounds with all but one brass going straight out. The one brass went forward and not one mark on the deflector:(. Then I changed out my stock buffer and spring with the new H2 buffer and spring and WOW. Grant you were right. Shooting way softer than ever and all brass striking deflector just right falling slightly to the rear like I think it should. I guess my action was freeing up some from round count and acting like it was a little over gassed. My rifle has always been flawless other than the small change noticed as mentioned in this post. It is really noticeable how much softer it now shoots and once again, life is good:D Thanks to all for the help.;)