PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Barrel Identification

chime
08-25-09, 00:52
Good day. guys. i need your help in identifying a barrel. I have a 14.5" barrel w/ M203 cut taken from a Colt Enhanced Model M4 carbine w/

M1S
HO
1-9

stamped forward of the front sight (topmost portion of the barrel) . Is this a colt barrel? If not, who's the manufacturer of this barrel? Is it chromed lined? Any comments about this barrel?

Thanks for the help.

bkb0000
08-25-09, 00:58
Good day. guys. i need your help in identifying a barrel. I have a 14.5" barrel w/ M203 cut taken from a Colt Enhanced Model M4 carbine w/

M1S
HO
1-9

stamped forward of the front sight (topmost portion of the barrel) . Is this a colt barrel? If not, who's the manufacturer of this barrel? Is it chromed lined? Any comments about this barrel?

Thanks for the help.

M1S is probably Model 1 Sales.. dunno what HO is, probably a manufacturer code. one way to tell if it might be chrome lined is to look at the chamber- most chrome-lined bores have chromed chambers, and if you see a light gray ring surrounding the chamber anus, surrounded by darker gray/black parkerized steel, it's chrome lined.

who told you it was a colt barrel?

here's chrome lining as seen around the chamber
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_c64f37174f80476b84e4379158ffeb08.jpg

chime
08-25-09, 01:05
who told you it was a colt barrel?

It was taken from a colt enhanced model M4 carbine. I took it personally as the owner change his barrel to 11.5"

here's chrome lining as seen around the chamber

Yup, the chamber looks the same as in the pic so it's possibly a chrome lined.

mvician
08-25-09, 01:33
M1S is Model 1 Sales

no clue about the HO

1-9 is the twist rate

chime
08-25-09, 02:06
M1S is Model 1 Sales

no clue about the HO

1-9 is the twist rate

Any comments about this barrel? Thanks

Col_Crocs
08-25-09, 04:55
CAn you post photos of it?

cebuboy
08-25-09, 05:29
It is a Model 1 Sales barrel. Do check the chamber, it might not have a 5.56 chamber.

freakshow10mm
08-25-09, 05:52
I've got a M1S barrel on my machine gun, 11.5 inch. It's a decent barrel. 5.56 chamber is what M1S uses.

bkb0000
08-25-09, 10:07
It was taken from a colt enhanced model M4 carbine. I took it personally as the owner change his barrel to 11.5"
i'm not sure what "enhanced" means.. colt has never used M1S barrels. either somebody stuck a M1S upper on a colt lower, or swapped barrels at some point.

if the ring is there, then it's definately chrome-lined. I only said "possibly" because the absense of the light-gray ring doesn't necessarily mean the bore isn't chromed- some manufacturers don't chrome the chamber. those are harder to identify.

model 1 sales has a pretty crappy reputation.. i have no first hand experience with them, but we get people in here posting problems they've had with M1S very often. they seem to have really good customer service (if you ignore the fact that they have no problem selling people junk) and will take almost anything back at any time, by accounts.. but that only makes up for so much.

the barrel is likely to be 4140 steel, the chamber is most likely NOT a true 5.56 (advertising and reality are different things), and there's a higher likelihood that the steel contains voids and/or cracks that can contribute to barrel failure.

all that said, they're probably no worse than bushmaster/dpms/oly/stag/etc. I'd use one if it was free.

theJanitor
08-25-09, 11:52
my Colt M4 barrel says:

C MP
5.56 NATO 1/7

chime
08-25-09, 19:26
CAn you post photos of it?
It is now installed in a bushmaster lower. i'll post a pic after i got home.

all that said, they're probably no worse than bushmaster/dpms/oly/stag/etc. I'd use one if it was free.
yup, it's FREE

i'm not sure what "enhanced" means.. colt has never used M1S barrels. either somebody stuck a M1S upper on a colt lower, or swapped barrels at some point.
It's a colt enhanced model, the one with two colt logos on the magwel. I've seen 2 of this model but all with "C MP
5.56 NATO 1/7" rollmarks. This third one have a different barrel. Maybe it was change by the previous owner.

model 1 sales has a pretty crappy reputation.. i have no first hand experience with them, but we get people in here posting problems they've had with M1S very often. they seem to have really good customer service (if you ignore the fact that they have no problem selling people junk) and will take almost anything back at any time, by accounts.. but that only makes up for so much.
In this part of the globe, customer service from manufacturers are non-existence.

I tested it the other day using "WCC" headstamped ammo. 200 rds with no malfunction or primer blow-out. I think it's GTG. I'll be using it for IPSC competition.

BravoCompanyUSA
08-25-09, 20:36

M1S
HO
1-9

Thanks for the help.

M1S, Model 1 Sales
HC, Hard Chrome
1-9, Twist rate

chime
08-25-09, 21:02
M1S, Model 1 Sales
HC, Hard Chrome
1-9, Twist rate

Thanks. The letter "C" appeared more likely as an "O".

Iraqgunz
08-25-09, 21:50
Basically someone didn't do their homework and someone pulled a fast one.

bkb0000
08-25-09, 22:06
So is this a standard practice... order some colts, replace the barrels with cheap wilsons with your stamp on them, call it an "enhanced" colt, and re-sell and get some free + profit colt barrels?