PDA

View Full Version : Attention Mountain Bikers: I got a new ride!

M4arc
08-25-09, 14:08
I put off getting a 29er for quite some time because I wasn't sure it was for me. I'm not a big guy (5'5" & 125lbs) and early reports about the 29ers said they were geared towards bigger riders but after a few years I think the manufactures have them figured out.

So far I'm impressed with this bike. It really rolls well and clears obstacles much better than my 26" Fisher Paragon. It also handles like its on rails. The first thing that impressed me was the handling. It also works very well in the tight and twisty sections so I think it's a keeper.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/100_7385.jpg

So far I've upgraded the wheels to Bontrager RXL (Scandium) and upgraded the brakes to the Avid Juicy Ultimate with carbon levers. Up next will be a carbon crank set and seat post (don't ask what happened to the original).

Leonidas
08-25-09, 14:14
Nice bike, those 29er's sure do make a difference. Are those the mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes?

M4arc
08-25-09, 14:15
Nice bike, those 29er's sure do make a difference. Are those the mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes?

Hydraulic

texag
08-25-09, 14:16
Nice wheels, looks pretty fast.

SHIVAN
08-25-09, 14:23
Can you give me a layman's view on the 29'ers?

variablebinary
08-25-09, 14:28

29" wheels. Bigger wheels eat up terrain better.

3 years ago, I had a Gary Fisher with 29's. It was a good bike, but then I switched back to my Rocky Mountain Vertex 50

M4arc
08-25-09, 14:38
Nice wheels, looks pretty fast.

The bike is plenty fast, too bad I'm not :D

Like VB said the bigger wheels are suppose to roll better and make it easier to clear things like rocks, roots, trees, etc. However they aren't suppose to be as quick to accelerate like 26" wheels. I've noticed that the do roll better and help over obstacles but I haven't noticed any less snap (probably because I don't have any snap in my legs these days) than my 26" Paragon.

I was also immediately impressed by the handling which is much better than my old Paragon. This could be due to a number of things; frame geometry, fork, tires, etc. but there is no doubt this bike can rail when asked to.

A bunch of my friends went to Trek Days not too long ago and rode the new Treks and Fishers back to back and all of them came back and told me that the 29ers were the shit so I tested this one for about a week and decided it was time to make the jump. I still haven't paid for it yet so there's slight chance it will piss me off but I doubt it.

I'm riding Braddock Road tomorrow then around Williamsburg this weekend. That should finalize my decision :D

BiggLee71
08-25-09, 16:28
nice bike! i've owned alot of high end bikes myself.mostly intense dh rigs.just sold a totally tricked out specialized sx trail 2.if you dont mind me asking,how much did the bike run you?

M4arc
08-25-09, 17:03
nice bike! i've owned alot of high end bikes myself.mostly intense dh rigs.just sold a totally tricked out specialized sx trail 2.if you dont mind me asking,how much did the bike run you?

A little less than 2K with the upgraded wheels and brakes.

Mark71
08-25-09, 17:15
That is a very nice looking bike! What model is it? I am going mountain bike shopping this weekend and was planning on stopping at the local Gary Fisher dealer.

PlatoCATM
08-25-09, 17:21
Nice ride. I tooled around on my bro's 29er for maybe a half mile and even on fairly easy terrain I could still tell a difference riding over roots and obstacles. The frame was way bigger than my specialized, though, so a direct comparison on ride quality was out of the question.

How is the fox fork? I've heard some supernatural things about them, but I've wondered whether the hype is somewhat justified.

M4arc
08-25-09, 17:26
That is a very nice looking bike! What model is it? I am going mountain bike shopping this weekend and was planning on stopping at the local Gary Fisher dealer.

Paragon.

Nice ride. I tooled around on my bro's 29er for maybe a half mile and even on fairly easy terrain I could still tell a difference riding over roots and obstacles. The frame was way bigger than my specialized, though, so a direct comparison on ride quality was out of the question.

How is the fox fork? I've heard some supernatural things about them, but I've wondered whether the hype is somewhat justified.

It definitely looks and feels like a big bike but is still quite nimble on the trail. As for the Fox fork I think it does live up to the hype especially for XC. I don't know about the freeride or DH forks though. The F80RL is about as good as it gets for XC.

Preferred User
08-25-09, 21:48
That make me want to reconsider my recent Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra purchase. Nice.

mattjmcd
08-25-09, 23:03
sweet!:)

M4Fundi
08-26-09, 00:51
Congrats!
My wife races NORBA Expert and captains her 24hr of Moab team. She swears by the 29er and she is only 5'3", but she is quite powerful:p This Lenzsport Leviathon was custom made to fit her miniature size which was very difficult with the larger tires. I prefer the 29er myself but my expertise in mountain biking is relegated only to bleeding profusely, crashing in cactus, etc.:p

We have both switched to the Ergon grips which absorb an enormous amount of impact to the hands and wrists.

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMGP1208_2.jpg

Impact
08-26-09, 01:26
now get on the bike and start working out :)

thedog
08-26-09, 01:40
Nice Bike!! But.... wait............ FAIL!!!!!! MINI-VAN!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!

still, nice bike. Still, FAIL!!!!!!!! MINI_VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p dog-eared

theJanitor
08-26-09, 02:23
nice ride!!

it's been 10 years since i've been on a MTB. back then there was no such thing as 29's, and my DH bike was over 35lbs, lol

littleshoe
08-26-09, 08:00
The bike is plenty fast, too bad I'm not :D

If you want to go fast go and get yourself a road bike. ;) I spend more time on road bike than I do on mountain bike.

Robb Jensen
08-26-09, 08:03
Nice bike M4arc. I've always like Gary Fisher mountain bikes.

Preferred User
08-26-09, 08:03
You must live where there are nice roads. I gave up my road bike for cross overs many years ago. I do miss ultra light road bikes, but a bit of suspension travel on the forks is so much easier to live with.

C4IGrant
08-26-09, 11:35
Don't know chit about bikes, but that one looks nice!

C4

M4arc
08-26-09, 20:37
If you want to go fast go and get yourself a road bike. ;) I spend more time on road bike than I do on mountain bike.

I have a carbon fiber Trek road bike and have spent plenty of time on the road but I'm still a mountain biker at heart.

JohnD
08-27-09, 19:29
Great ride!

I like the Gary Fisher Super Calibre with full suspension but the price and little time I have to ride is keeping it at the store for awhile!!

If my memory serves me correct Gary Fisher is the orgininator(sp) of the MTB and Trek bought him in the late 70's or early 80's. Most of Trek's designs come from him still, even though he has also kept his name brand line going.

doughnut
08-27-09, 20:09
Long live the hardtail! 29s are awesome. When Yeti starts making the ARC in 29" form I'll convert. I've been moutain biking since '96 and the Yeti ARC is by far the best bike I've ever had. I had a Gary Fisher Super Caliber and that was a great bike as well. Congrats and get that thing filthy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/doughnut/bikeframe001.jpg

TXatty
08-27-09, 20:38
I like it! I picked up a Fisher Xcaliber this spring after a 15 year mtb'ing layoff. :eek: It's my first new bike in nearly 20 years, and the 29ers are awesome. I'm a big guy (6'4", 240 and dropping), and the ride is great. I just converted to tubeless, and the bike seems a lot snappier. Not that it was bad before.

Bantee
08-27-09, 20:49
So help me god 1 more AR build, and I 2 shall have a high end mtn. bike. That's a killer looking ride! Enjoy.

littleshoe
08-28-09, 07:15
I have a carbon fiber Trek road bike and have spent plenty of time on the road but I'm still a mountain biker at heart.

Very Nice. I actually just purchased a new one from NZ which has the same basic frame shape shape as those new trek bikes. It was time for me to upgrade from my first old trek 1000.

N4LtRecce
08-28-09, 08:20
That bike is beautiful! Many a good component used on that machine. I ended up with a Specialized Rockhopper comp, and it suits my needs very well, but that bike is a world away from mine! Considered a 29er, but I'm only a tad taller than you, so I didn't think it'd be right for me. Nice bike, enjoy! :cool:

M4arc
08-28-09, 08:44
If my memory serves me correct Gary Fisher is the orgininator(sp) of the MTB and Trek bought him in the late 70's or early 80's. Most of Trek's designs come from him still, even though he has also kept his name brand line going.

There's only some truth to that and many misnomers abound. Gary was one of several that is credited with the birth of mountain biking. Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey and several other started the sport in Marin County in the mid-late seventies. Joe Breeze actually built the first "mountain bike" not Gary.

Gary Fisher ran his own company until 1993 when he was purchased by Trek but he still basically runs Fisher and does his own designs completely separate from Trek and the two lines are very different. Geometry, materials, specs are all very different from each other.

I've been a fan of Fisher mountain bikes since 1988 and at one time was on their Grass Roots racing program. The partnership (ownership) with Trek has served both companies very well. Gary can design and not have to worry about production matters.

VA_Dinger
08-28-09, 09:02
I got to see Marc’s new 29er last weekend. It is even better looking in person. The white frame with black wheels looks cool as hell.

littleshoe
08-28-09, 14:49
While Everyone is posting bikes figured Id throw mine out there.

randolph
08-28-09, 15:29
I used to have some bikes.... but I lost them all in a tragic boating accident :mad:

oh wait, that was something else :p

for me...
litespeed road bike,
litespeed hardtail MTB.
and a santa cruz blur full suspension MTB...

theJanitor
08-28-09, 15:34
one of mine from the 90's lol

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/IMG_3889.jpg

stipilot
08-28-09, 19:07
I got to see Marc’s new 29er last weekend. It is even better looking in person. The white frame with black wheels looks cool as hell.

What part of VA are you guys from and where do you ride? I gather not the western part of the state with lotsa rocks and roots if you're good to go on a hardtail with that lightweight wheelset.

littleshoe
08-29-09, 03:35
What part of VA are you guys from and where do you ride? I gather not the western part of the state with lotsa rocks and roots if you're good to go on a hardtail with that lightweight wheelset.

I really liked the VA creeper trail. Did about half of it before I left. Me and my buddy were going to do the whole thing but the mountain killed our legs.

M4arc
08-29-09, 06:42

Why not? I've been riding and racing around Harrisonburg, Roanoke and Charoletteville for 20 years now. I've raced Dragon's Back more times than I can count, the Hoo-Ha, Rowdy Dog to name a few. I also ride in West "By God" Virginia whenever I have the chance.

M4arc
08-29-09, 06:44
I really liked the VA creeper trail. Did about half of it before I left. Me and my buddy were going to do the whole thing but the mountain killed our legs.

428A and the California Ridge trial are two of my favorites. But anything around Sherando Lake makes for a great weekend.

stipilot
08-29-09, 08:49
Why not?
Taco'd rims?? Folks here in PA, MD, and I'd assume VA who ride in the coastal plains can generally get away with super lightweight rims more easily than those of us who ride mostly in the east coast rocks. I've seen more 29" rims fold than 26" rims. Was just asking though, not trying to make any point.

I have a Yeti 575 and a Gary Fisher HooKoo which I would love to replace with M4arc's Paragon (and you got a killer deal on that dude!).

M4arc
08-29-09, 08:58
Taco'd rims?? Folks here in PA, MD, and I'd assume VA who ride in the coastal plains can generally get away with super lightweight rims more easily than those of us who ride mostly in the east coast rocks. I've seen more 29" rims fold than 26" rims. Was just asking though, not trying to make any point.

I have a Yeti 575 and a Gary Fisher HooKoo which I would love to replace with M4arc's Paragon (and you got a killer deal on that dude!).

I grew up riding in the PA rocks and have never taco'd a rim. There are two types of riders; bulldog and technical. Bulldog riders slam over everything and will taco rims and destroy bikes no matter what. I'm a technical rider and rarely (knock on wood) break anything.

I also compete in Ironcross which is a 62 mile cyclocross race in the mountains of PA. That's done on cyclocross bikes/wheels so if they can make it these Bontragers will hold up to just about anything.

My first Gary Fisher was a HooKooEKoo back in 1989! And yes I still get great deals on bikes even though I'm older and much slower than I used to be :(

M4arc
09-14-09, 09:53
I was finally able to get the Paragon out to a mountain bike race yesterday and it was almost flawless. I say almost because I learned I can't run that skinny of a rear tire at that low of PSI. I actually decided to stop after my first lap and bump up the tire pressure to 30psi. I'm used to running a much wider rear tire than this but live and learn.

I haven't been training (at all) and have only ridden a few times so I wasn't prepared physically for this race but I finished (my goal). I've ridden this course numerous times on my 26" Paragon and I was thinking that if I had been riding that instead of this new 29" I don't think I would have finished. The 29er definitely made it a little easier by the way it rolls over the rocks & roots, carries it's momentum and handles.

I continue to be impressed.

M4Fundi
09-14-09, 18:52
Anyone going to be racing in the 24 Hours of Moab in Oct?

I'll be there and would love to meet any M4C members

M4arc
09-14-09, 19:16
Anyone going to be racing in the 24 Hours of Moab in Oct?

I'll be there and would love to meet any M4C members

I won't be. I will have to do a local race instead of going to Ironcross this Oct due to the fact that I'm out of shape.

USMC03
05-18-10, 20:21
Getting ready to drop the hammer on a Gary Fisher 29er next week. Looking at the X-Caliber and the Paragon .... can anyone give me a run down as to the differences between the two. I'm not up to date on the component package and wanting to see which bike has the most bang for the buck.

BTW, this thread needs more pics ;)

M4arc
05-18-10, 20:40
Jeff,

The Paragon and X-Caliber share the same frames and forks so it really boils down to components. The Paragon has the X.9 Sram package where the X-Caliber has the X.7. The Paragon has full Bontrager wheelsets and the X-Caliber is a mix of Shimano hubs laced to Bontrager wheels. And the other major difference is the Paragon has the Juicy 5 hydraulic disc brakes and the X-Caliber has the Juicy 3s.

You also get pedals, Cane Creek headset, Race Lite bars, stem and seatpost on the Paragon.

The fact that you get the X.9, Juicy 5s, full Bontrager wheels and pedals with the Paragon pretty much make it a no brainer for me. Get the Paragon.

theblackknight
05-18-10, 20:44
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/mxer1/bike1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56/mxer1/bike2-1.jpg
Rush 6 . Sram x7, Juicy 3s and Fox bouncy parts.

M4arc
05-18-10, 20:52
BTW, this thread needs more pics ;)

Okay, okay, here's my Paragon in action last month:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/Hilbert3.jpg

I'm getting my ass handed to me but I'm having fun:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/Hilbert1.jpg

That's my son standing with his Gary Fisher Pre-Caliber on the far right:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/Hilber2.jpg

I think I threw up shortly after that photo was taken. Then I drank a nice, ice cold beer!

Dragon Slayer
05-18-10, 21:14
I get intrigued with mountain biking but I will not give up my Litespeed Titanium Classic road bike with Campy Chorus Ten components and Mavic Ksyrium wheels, Grand Prix Force and Attack tires.

If you want speed that is the machine to have, I wish I was younger and in my prime I could follow at 28 to 32 MPH on the flats and 40 to 50 MPH on the downhills, now uphills that is another story.;):(

BTW I have this bike for over 8 years and many thousands of miles and it still looks like new.:D It replaced my MASI with 9 speed Campy Chorus components after a bad crash that totaled the bike which I still miss, it was really special.:(

Nerveless Gary Fisher makes a great mountain bike.:)

orionz06
05-18-10, 21:23
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3297877103_687738d338_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3298709196_c754e47a4f_b.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/hifiprophet.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/orionz06/hifiprophet2.jpg

My favorite thus far, Cannondale Prophet with a bombproof sprung lefty. Gary Fisher HiFi as well, I still run the Prophet.

M4arc
05-18-10, 21:25
Orionz, we should try and meet up and ride when I'm up there this August.

orionz06
05-18-10, 21:27
Orionz, we should try and meet up and ride when I'm up there this August.

I am fat and slow, but I can still show you beautiful trails. What is bringing you to the burgh?

And on 29'ers, I couldnt get used to it. I am 5'6" and the front wheel seemed like it was gonna hit my feet when I turned, but it is probably something I could get over.

M4arc
05-18-10, 21:31
I am fat and slow, but I can still show you beautiful trails. What is bringing you to the burgh?

I'm not fat yet but I'm slow! My son is going to Jr. Penguins camp.

orionz06
05-18-10, 21:34
I'm not fat yet but I'm slow! My son is going to Jr. Penguins camp.

Sounds fun. I might try my hand at some downhill in the coming weeks at 7 Springs. The last time I used all of my travel I smashed my shin so I need to redeem myself.

http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5270/Downhill-Bike-Park.html

theblackknight
05-19-10, 14:46
Sounds fun. I might try my hand at some downhill in the coming weeks at 7 Springs. The last time I used all of my travel I smashed my shin so I need to redeem myself.

http://www.7springs.com/page/category.detail/nav/5270/Downhill-Bike-Park.html

That place look legit. I really need to sell my Rush and get a dirtjump/4X bike. XC is boring for this former bmx and Mx guy.

Dragon Slayer
05-19-10, 14:54
Is anybody watching the Giro De Italia and the Amgen Tour Of California? Maybe I should not ask this question from MB's but maybe some here do both besides that my Hero Lance rides both and he is in the ATC.;):)

Eddiesketti
05-19-10, 16:05
Nice ride! I bought a 09 Marin Mount Vision 5.8 a little while ago but have only been out in the woods twice. Fun, but it kicked my rear.

I don't think any of the Treks are made here anymore. Cannondale are not being made here either. For the price of these bikes, i would think it would have more than design cues from the USA.

theblackknight
05-19-10, 16:36
Nice ride! I bought a 09 Marin Mount Vision 5.8 a little while ago but have only been out in the woods twice. Fun, but it kicked my rear.

I don't think any of the Treks are made here anymore. Cannondale are not being made here either. For the price of these bikes, i would think it would have more than design cues from the USA.

My cannonblaster is a 09' and is USA made.

Eddiesketti
05-19-10, 16:41
My cannonblaster is a 09' and is USA made.

That is the last year for handmade in USA.

Mjolnir
05-19-10, 21:09
Nice wheels. I love MTBs more than our "peculiar hobby".

Bubba FAL
05-20-10, 00:09
Nice bike.

I'm still toolin' around on my '96 Trek Y22. I replaced the Gripshifts with XTs as soon as I got it, put a White Bros cartridge kit in the fork, then had the shock upgraded by a contact at Fox when we did an automation job for them.

It's a bit worn and "old school", but still a very nimble XC ride.