PDA

View Full Version : Hornady TAP Training 5.56 55gr experiences?

gt5966b
08-25-09, 23:01
anyone have experience with this? i'm considering picking some up for an upcoming class. I haven't seen any specific reviews on it in the forums. I apologize in advance is this question / topic has already been addressed.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/detail.php?id=72&sID=94

UVvis
08-26-09, 16:31
Yes,

I burned up just shy of 3,000 rounds of the 55gr ammo this summer. Mostly through my 11.5" BCM gun. No issues to report. The ammo shot extremely well for 55gr ball. Used it in an EAG 3 day carbine course as well, of which I can't find the AAR for on here for some reason.

Wish I had bought more, would not hesitate to buy more.

ColdDeadHands
08-30-09, 07:48
anyone have experience with this? i'm considering picking some up for an upcoming class. I haven't seen any specific reviews on it in the forums. I apologize in advance is this question / topic has already been addressed.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/detail.php?id=72&sID=94

I was about to buy 2 cases when I saw they use steel cases instead of brass but they cost as much as brass cased ammo. If I want steel cased ammo I buy wolf for half the price.

flyer
09-03-09, 09:19
I bought a couple of cases of the 75gr Practice and my LMT liked it.

87GN
09-04-09, 02:26
Went to a Vickers course with the 75gr stuff. 4 of us using various top quality AR carbines, only one malfunction among the four, a stuck case in a new 6920.

I'd use it for training as well as hunting/SD but if the price was too high I'd get regular 5.56 TAP. My understanding is that the steel case 75gr TAP is essentially .223 spec TAP in a steel case.

sdacbob
09-05-09, 18:10
Ammunition to Go has it on sale right now.
500rds - .223 Hornady TAP Training 55gr. FMJ Ammo $164.95

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/24_83_105/products_id/3328

ContractSoldier
05-21-10, 17:04
Any more reviews on this stuff?.

It sounds like good enough ammo to stock up on.

Fire_Medic
05-24-10, 21:18
Any more reviews on this stuff?.

It sounds like good enough ammo to stock up on.

I shot 600 rounds of it in 3 days back in Feb in a Carbine 1 class with NO malfunctions or issues at all. My gun really liked this ammo. Got a 1,000 round case on sale from Ammunition To Go.

Will buy more next time I need more .223

kmrtnsn
05-24-10, 22:57
I have shot two cases of it and am getting ready to buy two more. Ammunitiontogo has it for $269.00/1,000rds. The bullets and primers, and powder are U.S. sourced with only the steel cases foreign sourced, the ammo is loaded up here in the U.S.; this is not re-branded Russian ammo and any comparison can only be made by visuals. In two cases I have never had any issues with it. The only thing I can say negatively about it is the smell of the burning lacquer finish takes a bit of getting used to.

nickdrak
05-24-10, 23:12
I have shot some of the Hornady steel cased stuff in the past, and wasnt impressed with the accuracy or the lacquered cases. I have had similar or better accuracy results shooting Wolf 62gr steel cased ammo for training thru my 1/9 & 1/7 barreled AR's.

Since Wolf is much less expensive than the Hornady, and Wolf doesnt use lacquer on their casings, it just doesnt make any sense to me to spend a premium on the Hornady training ammo.

While im sure the powder/primers used in the Hornady training ammo is cleaner then the Wolf's, the lacquered casing on the Hornady off-set that benefit.