PDA

View Full Version : Engraving ?

Jim Colborn
08-26-09, 04:54
I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

Is the initial of one's first name for engraving a (SBR) receiver permissible ?

Just as a FYI for all going the trust route.

I called (second day-finally spoke to a live person) the ATF office in WV and spoke to an examiner and asked if it was permissible to use the first initial of your first name and his statement was it has to be your full first name as well as full last name when using form 1/trust.

He stated that one can put in writing and ask for a Variance however at this time they ar not granting Variances.

Thanks.

Jim

Jer
08-27-09, 00:24
I'm doing first initial and last name but I'm also not doing a trust. Not sure of the variances between the two.

Reddevil
08-27-09, 09:25
I'm doing first initial and last name but I'm also not doing a trust. Not sure of the variances between the two.

Is that acceptible with ATF? I'm ALS registering as an individual and would prefer to use only my first initial since I have long first and last names.

Reddevil
08-27-09, 09:27

Is that acceptible with ATF? I'm also registering as an individual and would prefer to use only my first initial since I have long first and last names.

Jer
08-27-09, 10:26
Is that acceptible with ATF? I'm ALS registering as an individual and would prefer to use only my first initial since I have long first and last names.

Everything that I read said that it was but I wasn't paying attention to trust details since I wasn't going that route so I'm not sure if it is or not. If you search you will find some pretty good NFA FAQs online and it will discuss in detail what the engraving needs to be and exactly how it needs to be done.

Jim Colborn
08-27-09, 12:08
The probblem is that you hear a lot on line and I'm not sure what is true or not.

I called the ATF only to clarify what is legal and wanted to pass that on here to help others.

Jim

RetreatHell
08-29-09, 13:48
I have my initials on mine. But my initials are in the title of my Living Trust as well. Here is my example, with name and letters changed:

Say my name is Robert Conrad Long, and my trust's name is the: RC Long Trust. And I live in Dallas, Texas.

So the NFA engraving on my lower receiver would be: (first line) RC Long Trust, (second line) Dallas, TX

I used initials on mine because my initials were in my living trust. If your initials, or even your name, is NOT in the title of your living trust, then you'd have neither engraved. To my knowledge, you would engrave whatever title you used for your trust, since the trust technically owns the NFA item(s), NOT you.

Don't know if any of this helps you out or not, but hopefully it does.