PDA

View Full Version : Grip Pod??

Pappabear
08-26-09, 13:17
What is the opinion on the grip pod? Anybody used one? Are they sturdy, comfortable? I know they make a cheap one and a new reinforced one, so my questions applies to the newer , better, top line military issued Grip Pod?
Any feedback, thoughts opinions......thanks

Outlander Systems
08-26-09, 17:24
It's all a matter of how you envision the usage of your weapon.

Here's my perspective, which may or may not track with yours:

Running a 1X RDS?

If so, disregard the Grip-Pod.

Running a magnified optic?

Grip-Pod might be an interesting option, though not as worthwhile as a dedicated bi-pod.

"Jack of all trades; master of none".

USMC0351
08-26-09, 17:26
I used one overseas. It did it's job. Bulky for a front grip, but worked for us.

VooDoo6Actual
08-26-09, 18:39
Used one on a OCONUS contract on a FAL.

Worked fine on a NON SUB MOA gun...

It is what it is, UTILITARIAN.. NOT precision....

bkb0000
08-26-09, 18:44
they don't fall into the "piece of shit, waste of money" category, but they're definately in the "cheesy gimmic, gotta make fun of you for running one" slot.

:)

matthewdanger
08-26-09, 19:24
To me, they seem too large and too expensive - especially since the magazine works well as a very steady monopod.

USMC0351
08-26-09, 20:44
but they're definately in the "cheesy gimmic, gotta make fun of you for running one" slot.

No, not really. Maybe to those that use their rifles for "combat" classes and punching paper.

Outlander Systems
08-26-09, 21:16
No, not really. Maybe to those that use their rifles for "combat" classes and punching paper.

I could envision a situation, such as an ambush, or low-stress opportunity for a clean/precision shot, but not for a civilian such as yours, truly. Firing from a static position with a bipod isn't something I'll be able to perform, without a one way ticket to my nearest federal penitentiary.

tylerw02
08-26-09, 21:47
One thing I've noticed is they end up on forums for sale quite often at about half the new purchase price. That says something ;)

I'd personally stay away from them.

Pappabear
08-26-09, 21:51
I could envision a situation, such as an ambush, or low-stress opportunity for a clean/precision shot, but not for a civilian such as yours, truly. Firing from a static position with a bipod isn't something I'll be able to perform, without a one way ticket to my nearest federal penitentiary.

Everyday is a new day. If you would have told me years ago that the twin towers would go aflame, or that New Orleans would be several feet under water for weeks, I would have said NO WAY! I am the consummate paper punching civilian, and never expect I will use any of my "tools", but many things have happened that I did not expect. In the end Landlord, I expect you to be 100% correct. It does offer a little fuel to the exercise though.

Outlander Systems
08-26-09, 21:55
Another potential practical use for us civilians would be hunting yotes. I have to assess a lot of items, since my primary "uses" for the platform are training and SD.

My imagination is beginning to get in the game, with regards to possible uses.

That being said, a fist and a standard VFG can make a pretty decent monopod, and not break the bank...

;)

bkb0000
08-26-09, 22:20

not that i have shit to prove to you, jarhead, but i'm a vet. blow that BS elsewhere.

uwe1
08-26-09, 22:22
I have the non-reinforced version. I thought it would make a great addition to my gear, but in comparison to the Daniel Defense VFG that comes with the DD M4, it is significantly heavier (puts the gun out of balance) and a little longer. So for home defense and SD, I took it off my rifles because it just isn't as quick or maneuverable to use as a stubby VFG or even a standard one.

I do end up running it when I want to sight in my optics because it is fairly steady for bench rest use. I also plan on taking it hunting.

ETA: As far as ergonomics it's nowhere near comfortable to use the Grippod the way they teach in the Magpul dynamics course. The VFG is sturdy, but I have heard, from other users, on the non-reinforced version, the legs can break if you are falling to prone and the full weight of you and the rifle land on it. I don't regret buying it as a fun range toy/sight in tool though. The other VFG/bipod option made by FAB defense seems stronger, but still suffers from weight issues.

USMC0351
08-26-09, 22:30
not that i have shit to prove to you, jarhead, but i'm a vet. blow that BS elsewhere.

Good for you, chief, as are thousands of other men and women. No need to get your panties in a wad.

10MMGary
08-26-09, 23:18
My Son did two deployments in Iraq as a member of the 1st LAR Bn. He brought me back two of the reinforced ones(he knows I love anything to do with him and the Marines) that he snagged from whoever. He personally didn't use one , but he did state that those that did use them either loved them or hated them.

The fact that he was able to mooch two of them at the end of deployment may or may not say something. I sold one and keep one. I personally don't have feelings one way or another about them in regards to being useful in combat, as I obviously wouldn't know. They do two jobs decently but as a varmint hunter paper puncher and semi serious shooter I won't be getting rid of my Harris bi pods or my Tango Down VFGs.

I will add that they must be strong and sturdy as I know my Son and many of his fellow Marines and that bunch could break a steel ball bearing

Wild Bill
08-27-09, 01:18
It looks like most issues that it is a love or hate relationship. A buddy at the SO wants one, but can't really give a valid reason for wanting to hang it off his rifle. I don't want one as usually we do alot of standing around with our rifles, but then we do tend clear quite a few buildings. I just see it snagging on stuff as you are trying to move thru a house. But hey, that's me. ;)

Wild Bill

JSantoro
08-27-09, 08:30
Feedback from the Fleet:
-Gigantic for a VFG, bulky, tends to snag compared to more streamlined VFG designs.

-Only really works as a bipod if you have a reasonably flat surface to shoot from, as the legs have only one way of deploying and no adjustments.

-More hate them than like them. It's basically classified in the "Nice Try" column, sort of like that ridiculously oversized bayonet they saddled us with. Like the bayonet, often tossed into the pack until the end of a deployment, and the KAC VFG that comes with the rail cover kit is used.

I'm lukewarm about them, at best. Retails for somewhere around $150, so I personally don't think it's worth it when you can spend a bit more on both a Harris bipod w/mount and a TD stubby, and get more versatility from a bipod that tucks reasonably out of the way when not needed.

2-BPM
08-27-09, 09:05
I remember seeing some guys sporting them in 2005 for "field trials" or something. I thought it was kinda cool, but too long. Then my unit got them issued, and I was happy because I knew how expensive they were, and regardless how well they worked in Iraq, it would magicly become cash in my pocket at the first homecoming gunshow. It's weird. I kept mine, and put it on my m1a EBR. It's got a limited niche, but it fills it ok. I like how it comes off quickly, so it's cool just to zero with. It keeps the weight down if you want both VG and bipod. It's legs jam when dirty. You have to spread then like a reluctant prom date. Just my 2 Euros.

N4LtRecce
08-27-09, 11:20
I got one for free, and have been using it for a few months. I like it, but to be honest, I would have never bought one for what they ask for 'em new.

Mounts solid, and is well made. It does it's bi-pod thingy pretty well for what it is. If I were running a standard type VFG, I'd have a TangoDown stubby, so my gripes so far are it's weight and it's length. I only grip the very top, so there are a few inches of plastic there just getting in the way of things. I'd say pick up a used one, or at least try one out before you buy it.

carbinero
08-27-09, 18:09
I think Botach has TangoDown bipods for $139 right now. If I needed a bipod, that's what I'd do.

epf
08-27-09, 18:27
They work very nicely on a SAW. particularly on a PARA SAW. To be fair this was in an urban environment where flat surfaces abound and range is generally under 200M. Some of the young bucks got very handy and creative at employing them. They are also very sturdy and long as a mono-pod. Allowing the ammo box/bag freedom to traverse.

Patrick Henry
08-27-09, 19:55
You can find them on eBay for ~ $50, or at least you used to. Just make sure they aren't the Chinese forgeries that usually sell for $20.

blade_68
09-24-09, 07:24
I little late on this
my unit issued them for Iraq.. to sawgunners???? no logic some of my troops liked them and a few of them broke due to being over loaded on M249.
I'd say a harris and mount for it alot cheaper, better and adjustably. I have one, I'd not spend 150 for one.

Frens
09-24-09, 07:52
I got one a few days ago...
it looks ugly as hell on my AR15 but I like the concept :p

I've also seen a few broken legs due to hard use with SAW...this happen because Uncle Sam is issuing the polimer version instead of the aluminum one :rolleyes:

DMR
09-24-09, 08:13
They have their plus and minus's. I like them and use them for DM rifles. Why?

CASEVAC with a Harris type BiPod on a M-4, ect can be a real pain. The bipod legs get caught on everything. The Gripod is relatively light, no more snag prone then a regular verticle grip, and issued for free. They are far from perfect, ie, you can't adjust the legs for uneven surfaces. If you look at some of Jon's photos of the Brit's in OEF they appair to be running Grippods on all of their SA-80's with the Danial Defense rails.

Access the role you need and perhaps they fit. Once someone comes up with a light bipod on a free float tube that fits into the hand guard like the old HK or STG-58/G-1 bipods I'm all ears. Mine needs to work on a Noveske/VLTOR VIS SPR upper ;)

CarlosDJackal
09-24-09, 09:02
I have one that I have not used in over a year. I found it was too long and held the rifle too high. If they were to come out with a "stubby" version, I'd probably be interested.

The only time it came in handy was when I zeroed my rifle. YMMV.

Failure2Stop
09-24-09, 10:06
I have quite a bit of time behind them as well as Harris Bipods and machinegun bipods.

The best use of the Grip Pod is for Mk46s/SAWs with a rail system though loading them is abit dicey due to the lack of grip in the foot and lack of (for want of a better word) substance, to deal with the forward pressure.

On an AR they are excessively long, promote a broom-stick grip due to length and the stupid thumb-screw, are very high in position, have no cant ability for use on uneven ground, are difficult to transition to laterally distributed targets due to the legs catching and folding, are prone to being slightly canted- especially evident if your rails aren't put on perfectly straight, and usually force a compromised position since optimal placement for a VFG is not the same as for a bipod.

Most people that love them are inexperienced real-world shooters or people with less than highly developed skill sets. People that accept them knowing their limitations generally fall into a higher skill set that primarily use them as a VFG and employ the bipod option when in a static defensive position or when zeroing.
This is not to imply that only poor shooters have them on their rifles, simply illustrating where the skill gap is bandaided by the item. I have seen this discussion before, so please don't answer with, "Well, I must be a crappy shooter 'cuz I LOVE my Grip Pod." I see these used in my classes all the time, in fact I MAKE people use them so they fully understand the benefits and draw-backs to the item. Many people that went on several tours with them and professed their undying love of them at the beginning of the course wind up ditching them as soon as they can once they learn the skill they grip-pod seems applicable to. Others that have never used them occasionally continue to use them post-course because they can't fit a bipod on the short rail with a 6:00 light/laser device when they know how to use the GripPod to it's furthest extent and want to use a VFG.
-the course is 5 days, focused on rifle fighting from 0 to 500 yards with a heavy focus on semi-precision from combat positions from 100 to 300 as well as close range.

Except on a SAW, every benefit of a grip-pod can be matched or exceeded by a mag-rested position or proper skillful use of support. For a bipod it's hard to beat the Harris BRM-S (especially the LaRue with integral rail mount) and considering that it's $170 versus $150 for a polymer GripPod with reinforced legs (I have never used/seen one with aluminum legs) I know where I would rather send my $$.

DMR
09-24-09, 10:26
-the course is 5 days, focused on rifle fighting from 0 to 500 yards with a heavy focus on semi-precision from combat positions from 100 to 300 as well as close range.

One question closed or open course?

HPLLC
09-24-09, 11:15

Running a 1X RDS?

Grip-Pod might be an interesting option, though not as worthwhile as a dedicated bi-pod.

The grip pod is crap. It's a very tall vert grip with a non swiveling bipod built in. It seems to be the Armies answer to poor marksmanship, the only caveat?

The shooters use the thing and they still miss everything. It's a worthless item some Army supply logistics expert probably thought was the answer to rifle marksmanship training.

C4IGrant
09-24-09, 11:20
I have quite a bit of time behind them as well as Harris Bipods and machinegun bipods.

The best use of the Grip Pod is for Mk46s/SAWs with a rail system though loading them is abit dicey due to the lack of grip in the foot and lack of (for want of a better word) substance, to deal with the forward pressure.

On an AR they are excessively long, promote a broom-stick grip due to length and the stupid thumb-screw, are very high in position, have no cant ability for use on uneven ground, are difficult to transition to laterally distributed targets due to the legs catching and folding, are prone to being slightly canted- especially evident if your rails aren't put on perfectly straight, and usually force a compromised position since optimal placement for a VFG is not the same as for a bipod.

Most people that love them are inexperienced real-world shooters or people with less than highly developed skill sets. People that accept them knowing their limitations generally fall into a higher skill set that primarily use them as a VFG and employ the bipod option when in a static defensive position or when zeroing.
This is not to imply that only poor shooters have them on their rifles, simply illustrating where the skill gap is bandaided by the item. I have seen this discussion before, so please don't answer with, "Well, I must be a crappy shooter 'cuz I LOVE my Grip Pod." I see these used in my classes all the time, in fact I MAKE people use them so they fully understand the benefits and draw-backs to the item. Many people that went on several tours with them and professed their undying love of them at the beginning of the course wind up ditching them as soon as they can once they learn the skill they grip-pod seems applicable to. Others that have never used them occasionally continue to use them post-course because they can't fit a bipod on the short rail with a 6:00 light/laser device when they know how to use the GripPod to it's furthest extent and want to use a VFG.

Except on a SAW, every benefit of a grip-pod can be matched or exceeded by a mag-rested position or proper skillful use of support. For a bipod it's hard to beat the Harris BRM-S (especially the LaRue with integral rail mount) and considering that it's $170 versus $150 for a polymer GripPod with reinforced legs (I have never used/seen one with aluminum legs) I know where I would rather send my $$.

Agree and best opinion I have seen on the gripod.

They is really no need for them on an AR.

C4

WDR
09-25-09, 21:31
The grip pods greatest utility comes at the zero range. Once used for this limited amount of time it gets tossed back into the footlocker. I don't know or care how they'd do it but if they ever made a bipod VFG about the size of a KAC grip with the same deployed height, I think it would be a useful tool for a much wider range of missions.

Ak44
09-25-09, 21:45
The armory issued everyone grip pods in my Unit during our training cycle for deployment. At first everyone liked it because it was an instant bi pod and forward vertical grip. I didn't care for one because I was running a Tangodown grip. They are bulky and too long in my opinion. After CAX/Mojave Viper, everyone's grippods wouldn't spring open because of the sand getting in there. During deployment half of the ones I saw were either not working or broken. Good idea but not worth the hassle/money (even if it is free)..

kennith13
09-26-09, 07:59
I've got one and I love it.

It's bulky, not very comfortable, and the bipod is kind of cheesy. That said...

I don't look at it as a wonderful grip and bipod. I look at it as a great thing to have on the weapon for everyday tinkering, shooting, and general use. It isn't perfect for anything at all, but it's darned convenient to have around.

The best part of it is a quick way to pop the bipod out to set the weapon on the ground without anything becoming dirty. If I've got it out around the house for some reason, it's very convenient. It is likewise convenient on the private range I attend. The private part is important, as I'm the only one out there. I can set it down like that without offending anyone.

I've still got it in my head about the arm's length rule. That means when I've got the AR on me, I don't let it get out of reach. It's nice to be able to put it down without having something to lean it against if I'm not using the sling.

I'm not sure if I'd actually consider shooting with it beyond the odd zeroing or paper/plinking. That's not why I own it. I own it because it is convenient in every day life. It comes off when I want to bother with anything serious.

That isn't to say it can't be used for serious duty. I don't because it is uncomfortable for me. Since I stabbed myself at the base of my thumb, I've got kind of a painful knot left there, and this grip has a corner that gets right in there and bothers me with some ways of interacting with the VFG. I also don't have much mobility there anymore, and a thinner VFG is much better for me.

Still, I love the thing for what it is. The worst of both worlds when you want both but don't care for the complication or weight. It's just so darned convenient.

It's not like the thing is welded on there. It comes off in seconds.

jp0319
09-26-09, 09:49

Running a 1X RDS?

I agree, we are issued them on our M4s, I took mine off. It is too heavy and cumbersome, but remains a viable option if issued say an ACOG where a longer shot is possible.

motorolahamm
09-26-09, 10:56
i was issued one did not like it at first used the tango down or kac forward grip but then when i went optics thought i would try it not bad for that preety rugged beat mine up some it held up guess it is just users option some like it some dont check that ebay place there is one there now a grip pod kac rail covers i think and a matech buis for like 85$ send me your email ill send u the link

Stickman
09-26-09, 14:20
A few friends in Group love them, as do a few LEO friends. The SF guys are using ACOGs are commenting based on work in Afghaninstan working with locals out in BFA. They have their own needs, and the Grippod works for those needs. The LE guys like them for perimeter work when they may be stuck in one place for an extended period of time.

I don't think either LE or MIL guys consider them the perfect answer to everything, they look at them as a tool in the toolbox. I don't carry one on my duty pig as I am trying to shave off weight her as it is.

m4fun
09-26-09, 15:15
I got caught up in the "cool new technology to get" of the GP and like a few here, just found too bulky on a carbine(I think the same though of the full size TD). The stubby LaRue's and TDs are really it...for me.

That said I agree with the logic that a decent place can be on a M249. Mine has been demoted to that role on a Shrike. :D

kalikraven
09-29-09, 00:53
I won a Grip Pod at AAC's Silencer Shoot. I was disappointed because I never liked them. Then they called my numer again and guess what I won? A grip pod accessory:mad: Don't be surprised if they show up for sale on the net soon. I just have to take pics...

BLACK LION
09-29-09, 12:49
I was being promted to look into these by a guy I train with... I considered them, buuut.
I can appreciate the feedback here enough to say niet on the grip pod...
It seems to have a small niche but its too expensive to even consider filling it rather than find a much more inexpensive if not free alternative... I have had those long bulky grips and I hated them as well as bipods with no cant and no versatility in the feet...hated those too... this seems to be both of those in one unit...
IMHO It seems mor suited for an m249/ m240 saw type rig...

As far as having the "need"...Nothing is exclusive to anyone or any entity...No matter who or what you are... it beehoves us all to imagine the absolute worst and prepare for it each and every day.
I think for the most part we are all decent human beings who understand morality and legality in our social bubble... There is no reason why a citizen cant train to the level of proficiency and consistency as our most elite... not every one of us is average and not every one of us just punches paper... Some of us actually embrace the 2nd amendment and encompass its mission... I know I swore an oath once to protect and defend the constitution and although I never saw any combat nor did anything high speed low drag other allot of "simulation", I still consider it the peoples job to protect the people. No, all joes dont need helmet mounted thermal monoculars or mulit hit level 4 plates and there are probably no perceivable uses for most of the gear for most people... Pros or joes...
In the end reality isnt always on par with actuality so our perception of things should have no boundaries regardless of how high speed low drag our lives are.

Please excuse the rant and I am not meaning to step on any toes or speak sideways to anyone... I just feel like it doesnt matter who you are or what you do, if you keep and bear arms it is your job to uphold the constitution and ultimately protect our society. Regardless of how you perceive reality, the shyt can and will hit the fan.

Sorry for going off track...

thanks for the info and take care out there....

I think I will stick with an aluminum stubby vfg and use the mag or bag or whatever else comes handy as a bipod...

RAM Engineer
09-29-09, 13:08
Wilcox Industries has their own version of this.

http://www.wilcoxind.com/TDS%20DOCS/TDS103%20-%20Wilcox's%20Line%20of%20Weapon%20Grips.pdf

DMR
09-29-09, 13:22
Wilcox Industries has their own version of this.

http://www.wilcoxind.com/TDS%20DOCS/TDS103%20-%20Wilcox's%20Line%20of%20Weapon%20Grips.pdf
hum, interesting