PDA

View Full Version : EMOD Stock Wobble?

Gutshot John
08-26-09, 15:27
Tried the search feature but just kept getting the white screen of death.

One of my favorite features of Magpuls CTR has been the friction lock which eliminates stock wobble though I've wanted a slightly better cheek-weld for my Recce gun.

Found a sweet deal on a FDE VLTOR Emod, but was curious how much wobble might be encountered?

Should I go with the Emod or just wait till Magpul comes out with a FDE ACS?

rychencop
08-26-09, 15:59
very little in mine. not rock solid, but much better than the stock...stock. :D i got it for the cheek weld and storage. + $100 cheaper than a sopmod.

YVK
08-26-09, 18:49
My EMOD was actually too tight and got better with use. I've seen folks commenting on EMOD being tight quite a lot, and I remember only one post where it was wobbling.

rhewitt
08-26-09, 18:53
I had one and thought it was me so I sold it to my buddy. He had the same problem and called VLTOR and talk to a girl named tiffany and got it replaced with no problems. It took like three days. It was fast. I would look into to it.

kmrtnsn
08-26-09, 19:56
I have an EMOD in FDE on my current build. Mine is tight, so much so that I may have to remove some paint from the receiver extension.

RD62
08-26-09, 21:52
My EMOD was actually too tight and got better with use. I've seen folks commenting on EMOD being tight quite a lot, and I remember only one post where it was wobbling.

+1

-RD62

uwe1
08-26-09, 22:47
My Vltor Emod is very solid and has very little wobble. Since we're on the Emod topic, I had a question for the people who have it. Do any of you find the cheek weld on it a little less comfortable than say....the CTR? I purchased a Emod and after running it a while with an EOTech 512 and Aimpoint H1, I found that (A) I didn't like the extra weight (B) I feel my neck is more strained versus using the CTR/MOE (C) My DD M4 feels slightly less easy and less quick to handle than with the CTR/MOE. What do those of you that own it think?

However, I really do like this stock on my rifle with a Bushnell 3200 3-10x mounted on it. The stock is well made, very high quality, and GTG. It was just something I was wondering if other users had noticed this.

GAST
08-26-09, 22:48
I've got a little wobble in mine also, but it's a trade-off in that I really like the longer overall length with the rubber pad. Good cheek weld too, but not a fan of the release lever either. If you're looking for no wobble though I'd go with the Magpul.

YVK
08-26-09, 23:07
My Vltor Emod is very solid and has very little wobble. Since we're on the Emod topic, I had a question for the people who have it. Do any of you find the cheek weld on it a little less comfortable than say....the CTR? I purchased a Emod and after running it a while with an EOTech 512 and Aimpoint H1, I found that (A) I didn't like the extra weight (B) I feel my neck is more strained versus using the CTR/MOE (C) My DD M4 feels slightly less easy and less quick to handle than with the CTR/MOE. What do those of you that own it think?

However, I really do like this stock on my rifle with a Bushnell 3200 3-10x mounted on it. The stock is well made, very high quality, and GTG. It was just something I was wondering if other users had noticed this.

I have both MOE and EMOD and I find EMOD more comfortable; the rifles that have those stocks are a bit different though.

ra2bach
08-27-09, 09:53
how about LOP with the Emod?

I run an A2 stock on my scoped gun. how does LOP compare to that or some of the more popular collapsing stocks?

RD62
08-27-09, 12:47
I have a CTR on a 10.5 SBR and an EMOD on a 16" Middy. Both fit their respective rifles roles and balance well. I prefer the cheek weld of the EMOD to the CTR. But like the light handling characteristics of the CTR on the SBR.

-RD62

NCPatrolAR
08-27-09, 12:57
I don't have any wobble in the three Emods I currently use. I greatly peter the EMOD over other stocks I've used due to the cheek weld and the angle cut on the toe of the stock. Yes, it weighs a bit more but it's a trade-off Im willing to deal with.

The_War_Wagon
08-27-09, 19:46
Swapped out the clubfoot that came on my POF for an EMod a few months ago - no problems to date. Put the clubfoot on my M&P15T though, and that's a surprisingly snug fit. I like it! :D

Mute
08-28-09, 22:20
Very slight amount in the one I tried. Not enough to bother me but it was there.

FlyAndFight
08-29-09, 11:16
I had to double-check after seeing this thread and I've got no "wobble", per se. Pretty solid.

Mr.Goodtimes
08-29-09, 20:24
i have a little wobble but not much at all

MG23
08-29-09, 21:06
I have both the CTR and the Emod on colt 6920s. The Emod has a little wobble but not bad. My friend has 3 Emods on bcm buffer tubes, 2 have slight wobble and 1 is pretty loose. The up side is that even with the wobble they are very comfortable to shoot and the wobble is not even noticed when you are shooting. If the wobble is still a concern the ACS probably would be a good choice.

ColdDeadHands
08-30-09, 07:42
my emod wobbles a bit.

ColdDeadHands
08-30-09, 07:44
I have both the CTR and the Emod on colt 6920s. The Emod has a little wobble but not bad. My friend has 3 Emods on bcm buffer tubes, 2 have slight wobble and 1 is pretty loose. The up side is that even with the wobble they are very comfortable to shoot and the wobble is not even noticed when you are shooting. If the wobble is still a concern the ACS probably would be a good choice.

my ACS wobbles a bit also on both my rifles. the only stock I have that is rock solid is the CTR and SOPMOD (sold).

mark5pt56
08-30-09, 08:22

You may have to run it a click or two in because of the extra length-if you set your eye relief on that scope based on another stock. What is occuring is neck strain from you having to "crane" your neck forward to get the proper eye relief.

Mine are nice and tight also, nice stocks.

uwe1
08-30-09, 11:28
You may have to run it a click or two in because of the extra length-if you set your eye relief on that scope based on another stock. What is occuring is neck strain from you having to "crane" your neck forward to get the proper eye relief.

Mine are nice and tight also, nice stocks.

Thanks for the tip Mark. I think I finally figured it out. The neck strain I got was when i had the Emod stock on a MP15 that was sporting a EOTech 512 on the GGG Accucam mounts. It is an absolute co-witness so with the Emod's wider cheek support, I had to crane my head slightly to the side which caused the strain.

On a DDM4 with the Aimpoint H1 on a lower 1/3 co-witness mount the stock feels quite comfortable, but at least for me (I am smaller, 5'7" 140#), I feel that the CTR improves my ability to handle the weapon faster for CQB.

On the same DDM4, with a scope, the Emod is superior. I was reading militarymoron's review that the Emod was designed with the SPR in mind and that makes sense. However, I think that larger guys who usually have to run a CTR with a click or two back will really appreciate being able to run the Emod fully forward or at least almost forward and will probably have no problems with the slightly bulkier size.

Deadwrong
08-31-09, 01:08
I have this same exact problem...My Sopmod stock fits like a glove on both of my lowers but the Emod is all loosy goosie.....:mad:

Gutshot John
08-31-09, 18:35
Put it on today.

Very solid. In fact it's probably a little too tight.

Much more comfortable.

I'm impressed.

uwe1
08-31-09, 21:34
I have this same exact problem...My Sopmod stock fits like a glove on both of my lowers but the Emod is all loosy goosie.....:mad:

As mentioned in an earlier post, give Vltor a call and give them a chance to make it right. Someone else had said that Vltor had sent a replacement when their friend's stock was loose. Many of the people posting on this thread agree that the fit is generally snug for the EMod (mine is). The CTR is a little tighter, but the EMod isn't loose by any means.