PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Abraxas
08-26-09, 21:29
I do not mean for the nutrition and fitness section but for preparedness. We all know that we should have on hand extra food and water in case of emergency, but I have not heard anyone mention the idea of keeping around extra nutritional supplements. In a worst case scenario the food that we get, might not necessarily have all of the nutrients we need. Yet given the situation, we most likely need them more than ever. A god multivitamin (not centrem or one a day)would help to fill the nutrition gaps, and would not take up much room or add much weight. Just a thought

Spade
09-01-09, 00:50
You bring up a good point. As for me I am not the most healthy of persons on a normal day not to metion when shtf. Although the plan may be to have plenty of stocked rations & food to do me well, I may find that I am surviving off of jerky & Tang. I would be interested to see what some would recomend for just such a thing to carry in a "go to bag", "bug out bag" and for home storage.

perna
09-01-09, 04:06
I think it might be a bad idea, unless it is something you take on a regular basis. Adding something new to your diet can always have a bad effect, trying it out in a bad situation is not a good idea. Also taking pills when you might have an empty stomach can also make you feel even worse.

But if you are used to taking them beforehand that is a different story.

Abraxas
09-01-09, 06:14
I think it might be a bad idea, unless it is something you take on a regular basis. Adding something new to your diet can always have a bad effect, trying it out in a bad situation is not a good idea. Also taking pills when you might have an empty stomach can also make you feel even worse.

But if you are used to taking them beforehand that is a different story.

You think so, even with simple multivitamins? I guess anything is possible. I have taken them off and on for several years( more off) and not had a bad experience.

perna
09-01-09, 06:33
I have nothing to back it up with medically, and most people have no problems adding new normal things to their diet. I would just use it before you need it so you know your body likes it, no need to test it when thats the last thing you need to worry about. It is like stocking up on canned salmon, only to find out after you ate 2 cans that your body really doesnt like it.

Spade
09-03-09, 23:44
I have nothing to back it up with medically, and most people have no problems adding new normal things to their diet. I would just use it before you need it so you know your body likes it, no need to test it when thats the last thing you need to worry about. It is like stocking up on canned salmon, only to find out after you ate 2 cans that your body really doesnt like it.

I think what Abraxas was thinking (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a person could use the vitamins when food was hard to find & your body still needs certain things, or the food you are eating is missing several things. So if you started taking them now before shtf then wouldn't your body be used to them & the normal food you eat? So then you really would'n really better off if your body was used them would you? I have know idea, however I do wonder what would be worse for you; going with out certain vitamins & minerals that you may need, or introducting them in shtf situation when food is unavailable or minimal. I can see your point of people having bad reactions over intruducing something your body is not used to. I have had that problem myself, but I would like to know which is worse for you.