PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P 15T Ar's ????

Shihan
02-07-07, 23:58
Hello im a FNG, and have a few questions (im sorry if they have been already asked).

1. Besides the front sight and coming with rail covers are there any differences from the stag 15T?
Im not sure if the Stag is free floated?

2. Does Smith have a Lifetime warrany? The literature says a 1year warranty, but I could swear I read somewhere different. I know lock says one year but gives a lifetime limited.

3. Besides using a sling type rail adapter is there a way to attach a tactical sling?

4. Is the chamber chromed? It dosent look like it but my eyes arent the greatest.

5. Is the time consuming breakin needed? my other Ar's didnt have a chromed bore.

I just picked up one tonight and cant wait to shoot it.

Thanks in advance

Tang419
02-08-07, 00:13
I just picked up the regular M&P15. I like it a lot.

It isnt very fond of Wolf ammo, but loves XM193, and Q3131A . Seems the buffer spring is a little stiffer on my M&P than my old Bushy. As for the technical stuff, Im still new to BRD also, so Ill leave those questions to the vets.

C4IGrant
02-08-07, 10:37
Hello im a FNG, and have a few questions (im sorry if they have been already asked).

1. Besides the front sight and coming with rail covers are there any differences from the stag 15T?

2. Does Smith have a Lifetime warrany? The literature says a 1year warranty, but I could swear I read somewhere different. I know lock says one year but gives a lifetime limited.

3. Besides using a sling type rail adapter is there a way to attach a tactical sling?

4. Is the chamber chromed? It dosent look like it but my eyes arent the greatest.

5. Is the time consuming breakin needed? my other Ar's didnt have a chromed bore.

I just picked up one tonight and cant wait to shoot it.

Thanks in advance

1. The Stag uses a Samson Rail and the SW uses a Troy rail. Both are FF.

2. No idea, but imagine that if there is a problem, they would cover you.

3. Not sure what a tactical sling is. For a weapon of this weight, I would look at the BFG Vickers 2 point sling.

4. Yes it is.

5. No break in required.

C4

DrMark
02-08-07, 11:20
Besides the front sight and coming with rail covers are there any differences from the stag 15T?

In addition to Grant's comments...

The Samson rail on the Stag is shorter than the S&W's Troy rail, as the Stag has a standard front sight base. The S&W has an extended Troy rail over a low-profile gas block, with Troy flip-up sights front and rear. The Stag has an ARMS 40L flip-up rear sight.

Shihan
02-09-07, 00:10
Thanks for the info gentleman. Do you guys think the extras justify the extra money Smith charges?

Thanks

Tang419
02-09-07, 00:26
There is $500 worth of accesories on the T model.

Shihan
02-09-07, 01:55
Thanks have any of you used a rail mount sling attachment? I think this is what im going to need to make my current sling work, but need imput on what to buy as im one of those guys with a room full of useless stuff.

FJB
02-09-07, 09:48
I use and recommend the Midwest Industries MCTAR 08 QD Swivel Mount for the front and the TangoDown PR-4 for the rear. While I have Wilderness Single Point slings, unless you are conducting CQB missions or lots of mounted/dismounted patrols where single points shine, I would recommend one of the new tactical two point slings. I have used and would recommend any of the following: Vickers Sling by Blue Force Gear, Viking Tactics Wide sling, CSM Spring Sling, and even the Spec-Ops Master Blaster. Each had features I liked and didn't like, but all performed well. If a QD buckle is required per organization (USMC) or unit SOP, than only the Vickers and Spec-Ops slings meet that requirement.

S/F

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 10:17
Freddie- of the slings mentioned, the VTAC is the only one with NSN's (and the only one i see in units) but the lack of the QD was rectified with the Viking Tactics/ Larue Optimized Sling.
It has only been around since November, but it is my default 2 point for ease of adjustment and overall usefulness.
Roger on the PR4 and MI 08- both GTG!!

FJB
02-09-07, 17:44
Freddie- of the slings mentioned, the VTAC is the only one with NSN's (and the only one i see in units) but the lack of the QD was rectified with the Viking Tactics/ Larue Optimized Sling.
It has only been around since November, but it is my default 2 point for ease of adjustment and overall usefulness.
Roger on the PR4 and MI 08- both GTG!!

Pat,
thanks for the update on Viking Tactics/LaRue Optimized Sling. Excellent additional features to an otherwise great sling. I now prefer the tactical two point slings over single point when not in the other mission parameters. Although the tactical two point will work well in an CQB environ. The single point still shines in the mounted/dismounted roll in my opinion.

I'd like to see Mike McMillan at CSM add a QD buckle and an slip/adjustment buckle to the Spring Sling as well. I think that would really optimize that system. The Spec-Ops Master Blaster has those features, plus an elastic portion like the Spring Sling that allows for easier muzzle strikes and cross shoulder mounting. I just didn't care for their slip/adjustment buckle. Not certain how well their nylon will hold up over time either. Some wear testing is in order. But the cost is only $25 and they seem to be selling well via the MCX.

S/F

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 17:57
Not all that long ago there were very few options Freddie. Now it is about a full time job to keep up.
Whew!

Shihan
02-09-07, 19:45
Thanks for the info guys, I prefer a 2 point or 3 point. I have a simple sling that I really like from Sling Systems. I wish they had all of this neat stuff during my Ranger days, back then it was the standard 2 dollar sling and Alice gear.

Thanks

Shihan
02-09-07, 19:49
BTW I heard from Smith and Wesson today out of all of their firearms the only ones they dont back with a lifetime warranty is their AR's. That just doesent seem right.

g-rap
02-11-07, 18:31
Hi, I'm new on this forum. Here's a S&W you may not see too often. It out shoots the shooter in my case.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/355438832_e6feab1d57_b.jpg

FJB
02-11-07, 18:39
I took the M&P Armorer's course yesterday and the S&W Instructor/Rep confirmed what I heard at SHOT. S&W is now producing all of their own uppers, lowers and barrels. M4 feed ramps will soon come standard and 1:7 twist barrels will be an option.

Also, they have beefed up their external extractor on their 1911s thus improving reliability.

S&W is really working hard to become an industry leader.

S/F

Hawkeye
02-11-07, 19:29
Freddie, that co-incides with what a Smith rep told me last summer when I was working at a local gun shop. Good to see they followed through on it. And I agree, with the AR's, the 1911 line, and the M&P pistols, Smith it well on the road to being a force in the market once again (for something other than just revolvers).

Shihan
02-11-07, 20:29
Hello my new one came with M4 feedramps, but im having problem with the rounds feeding into the chamber. Im not sure whats happening, I have to pull the charging handle a few times to get a round to chamber and if I do get a round to chamber and fire it dose not chamber a new one. This is frustrating! Im going to call S&W in the morning.

THANKS

Hawkeye
02-12-07, 08:07
Hello my new one came with M4 feedramps, but im having problem with the rounds feeding into the chamber. Im not sure whats happening, I have to pull the charging handle a few times to get a round to chamber and if I do get a round to chamber and fire it dose not chamber a new one. This is frustrating! Im going to call S&W in the morning.

THANKS

Have you tried different magazines?

Shihan
02-12-07, 14:00
Hello I used the stock mag, 2 CProduct mags and the overpriced HK mag bga

Shihan
02-12-07, 14:01
sorry my little one hit the keyboard.

thanks