PDA

View Full Version : Praise, Short Review for the ACS

crazymoose
08-27-09, 19:41
Have been playing around with the new ACS on a few of my rifles, and thought I'd present a few of my thoughts about it for people on the fence about purchasing one.

I had been somewhat disappointed in Magpul, first with the CTR, which I could take or leave as a relatively low-cost alternative to a standard M4 stock, and then with the UBR (not at all a worthy successor to 93B, in my estimation, as it is heavier, does not feel as solid, eschews the comfortable cheek-weld of the 93B for the same uncomfortable cheek-weld of the CTR, and seems so far to have fallen short of it's intended advantage over the 93B of being easier to produce en masse).

Having gotten that sacrilege off of my chest, let me say that I think the ACS totally redeems Magpul for dropping the 93B, and it is certainly worth the wait. I really like this stock. I like the cheek-weld; it feels basically like an EMOD, which I've viewed as the gold standard of collapsible stocks for some time. The length is just right. The storage capacity is great, as it allows for quite a few small spare parts to be carried on-rifle, which I like to do. I even enjoy the futuristic look, although at times I can't help but feel like the ACS makes my rifle look like it's got some kind of spaceship stuck up its ass. A little bit of stock wobble has never bothered me, but all things equal no wobble is better, so the friction-lock gets a thumbs up. The price makes it a bargain, too.

I found myself trying to decide whether this stock dethrones the EMOD. At the risk of sounding indecisive, I'll say "maybe." The ACS is the better stock in most respects. It balances well. The cheek-weld naturally (for me) aligns my eyes with BUIS or optics. My ACS-equipped rifles came quickly and repeatably to the shoulder in plinking, a few drills, shooting from non-standard positions, and on the move.
However, I really like the EMOD's clubfoot shape when shooting from a rest. More importantly, when using the squared-off, "out of pocket" stance that's in vogue, the angled "heel" of the EMOD's buttpad just made the stock come to the shoulder with sights aligned more easily and quickly than any other stock I've tried, ACS included. It's pretty hard to overstate the importance of that attribute, for me anyway.

So, I guess my verdict is that if your shooting includes a lot of dynamic, run-and-gun changes of position, drills, etc., the EMOD is probably the way to go. That said, the ACS is no slouch in said shooting style, and in my experience is better for more accuracy-oriented shooting, as I find that it balances a medium contour 16" barrel a little better when shooting offhand, and the wobble-free lockup is probably a bit more optics and iron sight friendly.

I definitely plan to buy at least a couple more of these.

halo2304
08-30-09, 20:58
I saw a few for sale at a gun show this weekend. Sadly none were attached to a rifle so I couldn't try it out. It did look pretty awesome. After reading your post, I'm kind of kicking myself for not picking one up.

redyak3
08-31-09, 02:29
Mine arrived from G&R last week. Really like it! Comfortable and balanced, the price was the kicker tho. For the fit and quality, can't go wrong for @ 135.00.
Gear Sector GS2P sling will be next...
http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr335/redyak3/First%20BR%20Build/001-2.jpg

Surf
08-31-09, 02:32
Taste is subjective, but damn I think they are ugly.

ColdDeadHands
08-31-09, 06:29
I got one for my wife's rifle but she doesn't like it...it's too long for her. She prefers the Emod.

mmike87
08-31-09, 11:44
I also really like my ACS. I have been whining about the price and availability of UBR's for a long time. I snagged one ACS and no longer feel the need for an UBR.

MaceWindu
08-31-09, 12:26
I had been somewhat disappointed in Magpul, first with the CTR...

Huh?! :confused:

Mace

txdukklr
08-31-09, 14:18
my only complaint about the acs is the lack of QD attachement and the fact that the stock came out before you could even get the attachement.

Otherwise its very nice and for me is much more consistent to pull it up and get a consistently placed cheek weld.

hworang00
08-31-09, 14:58
Thanks for the review...I have the MOE right now and I have an ACS in FDE on order from Streichers. I can't wait, I felt one for a brief moment at Templar Consulting and the cheek weld was pretty amazing, and I love the friction lock. But as I said before...I CAN'T WAIT! AHHHH! :eek: Ha...I hope everyone enjoys their's while I wait for mine :(

grunz
08-31-09, 15:33
I think I like my EMOD better than the ACS.

The EMOD has the softer recoil pad and the QD built in for a retail price of $125. The same setup would cost you $175 on the ACS. I also like the angle and shape of the EMOD pad better too.

I might be in the minority but I really like the way ACS looks though. :)

redyak3
08-31-09, 16:38
The EMOD vs ACS was a close decision for me. Other than the price, the friction lock on the ACS was a deciding factor. Solid fit on the ACS, whereas by reading the Emod wobble thread, some were tight while others weren't.

spamsammich
08-31-09, 16:52
The EMOD vs ACS was a close decision for me. Other than the price, the friction lock on the ACS was a deciding factor. Solid fit on the ACS, whereas by reading the Emod wobble thread, some were tight while others weren't.

That EMOD "wobble" is most likely much ado about nothing. I don't even use my friction locks on the CTRs or ACS because when I have the gun shouldered and tucked nice and tight, I don't feel any kind of wobble with or without the friction lock engaged. Never noticed "wobble" with my EMOD when I was sending rounds downrange. I'm sure I would if I spent all my time finger ****ing my rifles instead of shooting them.

Caeser25
08-31-09, 16:59
I think it's ugly as sin but man is it comfortable and the shape fits my shoulder perfect :D

ra2bach
08-31-09, 18:05
I got one for my wife's rifle but she doesn't like it...it's too long for her. She prefers the Emod.

CDH, so you're saying the collapsed length of the ACS is longer than the Emod? is this the case through the adjustment range? I prefer a longer length of pull is why I'm asking.

Rider79
08-31-09, 21:36
How do you remove the stock from the receiver extension? My FFL got my BCM lower in with one on it, but I'm waiting for other items to come in before I go pick everything up. The ACS is intended for a rifle I already have, so I was going to have my FFL bring it by work, but I need to tell him how to get it off.

redyak3
09-01-09, 00:06
That EMOD "wobble" is most likely much ado about nothing. I don't even use my friction locks on the CTRs or ACS because when I have the gun shouldered and tucked nice and tight, I don't feel any kind of wobble with or without the friction lock engaged. Never noticed "wobble" with my EMOD when I was sending rounds downrange. I'm sure I would if I spent all my time finger ****ing my rifles instead of shooting them.
Thanks for the wonderful insight!!!
Don't have an EMOD to finger ****..., just read what other's have posted.

lanceriley
09-01-09, 00:08
I still like the 93b tooo bad they let it go.

spamsammich
09-01-09, 00:15
The ACS comes with a dummy round. you pry the retention pin down with the tip of the dummy round. There is a small hole drilled in the pin that the tip of a bullet or dummy round will fit into if you look closely.

spamsammich
09-01-09, 00:24
[/COLOR]
Thanks for the wonderful insight!!!
Don't have an EMOD to finger ****..., just read what other's have posted.

I don't want to get too far off topic, so I'll just say that the only thing I didn't like about my EMOD were the sharp edges/flash. I think the ACS feels a touch lighter and more ergonomic. It is nice to have a Magpul option to rival Vltor and LMT.

nickdrak
09-01-09, 00:40
The MagPul ACS is butt-ugly indeed...But it has already become my favorite stock. I love the cheek-weld, love the length of the ACS with the enhanced MagPul buttpad mounted, and I do like the friction lock on this stock.

ColdDeadHands
09-01-09, 07:37
CDH, so you're saying the collapsed length of the ACS is longer than the Emod? is this the case through the adjustment range? I prefer a longer length of pull is why I'm asking.

LMT 14.5" with ACS Stock;

32.25" Collapsed
35.5" Extended

LMT 14.5" with Modstock;

30.75" Collapsed
34" Extended

Something else that I think is worth noting is that the ACS stock is a PITA to install or un-install, especially with the provided plank 223 round. It gets easier the more you do it but doing it the first 1 or 2 times is a PITA!

shooter521
09-01-09, 09:31
I currently have VLTOR Clubfoots (clubfeet?) on all my ARs save one (my 9mm still wears an M4 stock), but have owned a CTR and have played with the MOE and LMT Crane stock on friends' guns. I received my ACS a week or so ago. Here is my quick and dirty assessment:

PROS
1) Comfort. The cheek weld on this thing is NICE. The extra length means you won't have your face half on and half off the stock, and can run the stock in tighter (I use my VLTORs on position 3; the ACS is best for me on position 2)
2) Storage. More capacity than the VLTOR (longer tubes plus the little door thingy), and the tubes are easier to access (rubber covers in back pull up and away, but remain tethered to the stock).
3) Buttpad. It attaches securely, adds minimal length and zero bulk, yet allows the stock to stay where you mount it (which is especially helpful if you're wearing a vest/chest rig/plate carrier/nylon jacket). Probably does nothing in terms of recoil mitigation, but who really needs that on a .223? Best of all, it's included in the price of the stock.

CONS
1) Requires a tool to install or remove. Fortunately, the tool Magpul recommends is one of the (3) polymer dummy .223 rounds that are included with the stock, and installation using said tool is very easy.
2) Limited sling options. There is a slot in the forward edge of the toe for threading a sling, and there are holes just aft of the release latch designed to accept plug-in sling swivel sockets. Unfortunately, no socket is included with the stock, and nobody knows when they'll actually be available for purchase.
3) Lockup. The ACS has a friction lock similar to the CTR stock, but mine did not lock up nearly as solidly as my CTR did. On two different mil-spec tubes and my VLTOR RE-47 AK receiver extension, there was still some rotational play with the friction lock engaged. The CTR, on the other hand, was rock solid with no movement in any axis.

NON-ISSUES
1) Weight. The ACS is noticeably heavier than the VLTOR clubfoot, but did not measurably change the balance of any gun I tried it on.
2) Metal strike plate. There is a metal reinforcement block in the bottom of the stock toe. I think the stock would be just as durable without it, and I don't see myself needing to buttstroke any foolz in the near future (though some here might!).

So there ya go. I'm a little bummed about the non-availability of the QD sling sockets as that is my preferred setup, but I expect that will get remedied in due time. And since I bought the stock with a future project in mind rather than to replace a stock on an existing gun, it's not a big deal at the moment.

My $.02.

ra2bach
09-01-09, 14:17
LMT 14.5" with ACS Stock;

32.25" Collapsed
35.5" Extended

LMT 14.5" with Modstock;

30.75" Collapsed
34" Extended

Something else that I think is worth noting is that the ACS stock is a PITA to install or un-install, especially with the provided plank 223 round. It gets easier the more you do it but doing it the first 1 or 2 times is a PITA!

I see. an inch and a half is significant.

thanks for answering that...