PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice

bauer007
08-27-09, 20:15
Hello. I'm new to the site which is great by the way. I am ready to purchase an AR and I am conflicted about what to buy. I have shot a few different .223s and would like to get my money's worth obviously. Some insight....no military background, unfortunatley, wishing I would have but I'm too old now. It would be for home defense and if the SHTF scenario. I want to be proficient, at least better than someone who would just "pick one up". Tips, advice and recommendations on anything that can help me as far as selection and performance/training is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who serve and have served. P.S. I need something to lay next to my 92FS in the nightstand. Anyone have any info on a Sig P220? I love it but would like to "pick" a brain or 2. God Bless America

Rider79
08-27-09, 20:24
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

I think this is the best deal going on an AR right now. It has everything you need and nothing you don't. Put a sling on it and spend the rest of your money on a class before you start changing parts on the rifle. For detailed explanations of why this is one of the best choices, read here:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Mr.Goodtimes
08-27-09, 20:32
For an AR, Colt, LMT, Noveske, Stag Arms, S&W, DD are all mainstream companies that build great guns. Stag and S&W are going to be your two cheapest options, and will serve you very well. I have a Spikes Tactical upper on a CMMG lower and am extremely hapy of this setup, it has performed very well. I think spikes tactical builds an excellent gun as well.

I dont have any personal experience with the sig 220, however, i've herd nothing but great things about this gun.

for training, look into magpul dynamics, vickers tactical, eag... this are all great choices.

if your planning on putting optics on your gun, stick with aimpoint and eotech for red dots, nightforce, s&b, trijicon, and leupold all make great variable power tactical scopes.

for ff rails, daniel defense and larue are top of the line, excellent options.

stocks, vltor and magpul make some great stuff plastic wonders.

for magazines, PMAGS are the shit. GI contract mags are great as well. i have experience with both and drink the PMAG koolaid.

Rider79
08-27-09, 20:45
Slow down. Before you start getting into optics and stocks and all that, just take the basic gun out and shoot it with iron sights. If you can get the chance to try out other people's optics, stocks, etc., do that before you start buying stuff. I've bought, sold, re-bought, and re-sold more parts than I can count, because of poor planning of projects and what I wanted to do with the specific rifle. I wish I found this site before I bought my first DPMS, it would have saved me thousands. Mount a sling to the rifle (I prefer the Blue Force Gear VCAS padded sling) then go out and shoot it. Try to take a class if you can, search the training section here for info on different types of classes and instructors. If you can't make it to a class because of time/money constraints, pick up this DVD for the basics:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-Dynamics-Art-of-the-tactical-carbine-dvd-p/magpul%20dvd%20dyn001.htm

But before anything else, go shoot the gun. As for mags, Pmags are the best, pick a color, buy ten of them, and don't look back.

bauer007
08-27-09, 21:04
I appreciate it. Can't wait to get mine and "break it in".

bauer007
08-27-09, 21:05
Kyle Defoor can shoot.....wish I could be that good.