View Full Version : Yet another AK "fix"

Dave_M
08-27-09, 20:49
Check it out:

http://www.dublinaksystems.com/

The truglo scope just seels it for me. So, who's picking one up? haha

sdcromer
08-27-09, 22:30
I'll pass. The AK is not broken. It does exactly what it was designed to do. Don't frak up a good AK with this.

kal
08-27-09, 23:23
Maybe if it was non reciprocating, it would have a chance.

Design a better selector switch that can be operated by the thumb (I think a cross bolt would do wonders), and the AK can stand tall.

k_cheerangie
08-27-09, 23:25
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/Rykarian/keepthatcrapoff.jpg

kal
08-28-09, 00:04
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2592/3863461553_71f546efc3_o.jpg

:D

SteyrAUG
08-28-09, 00:21
Do what?!?

If you can't manage with the AK setup "as is" then you need to look into a completely different system like the XCR. But it seems to me is third world types can figure out how to work it nobody should have a problem.

And I can see a LOT of downside to that modification. Try shooting around corners and that handy catch handle catches the corner.

IrishDevil
08-28-09, 00:22
I'm just wondering how many people will be going to the emergency room with a broken thumb.

NCPatrolAR
08-28-09, 00:51
Add it to my list of things I dont want for my AK.......there should be room under AK Lightning Bolt. ;)

sjohnny
08-28-09, 08:39
Charging system?
http://autorepair.about.com/library/graphics/charging_system.gif

I don't know why people have a problem pulling the freaking handle where it is. Why don't people put this stuff on their M1 carbines and M1 Garands? The bolt handle is in the same place.

IPSC_GUY
09-03-09, 18:23
Ya know being able to operate the bolt from the left side of the weapon is a good thing. This particular invention is not something I would buy but I do applaud the thinking that went into this. If it were non reciprocating like an H&Ks charging handle I think he might have something there.

I am toying with the idea of left side charging for my Saiga 12. I know the guys out at E-Tac have done it. GG&G, also has when they converted a number of Galils in this manner as well.

Interesting, but alas I am not going to run right out and buy one.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Heavy Metal
09-03-09, 20:56
What happens when yor support hand thumb gets behind the handle?

I could see something like this if it were non-recriprocating.

Cascades236
09-03-09, 21:11
I give it to the dude for inguinity but I just can't take him seriously. Clean up the reloads then move on to the gimmicks.

Tripwire
09-10-09, 00:10
WTF............................... OK I'll admit the lightning bolt thingie caught my eye and I can see that it might have some merit, but I'm waiting for somebody who has one to say it's worth the $$$.... also my Seiga could use it too...but I use mine in 3 gun matchs and think it might be a plus...

But this?? uh..no

kaiservontexas
09-10-09, 09:24
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg81/Rykarian/keepthatcrapoff.jpg

Agreed

BushmasterFanBoy
09-10-09, 09:38
This is quite possibly the worst idea for the AK I've seen in a long time. It eliminates the possibility of a high grip on the fore-end, not to mention looks pretty big and obtrusive, the Lightning idea is a much better concept for reasons that should be obvious to anyone.

geminidglocker
09-10-09, 09:52
I could'nt bear to watch the whole video. Epic fail! I'll pass aswell.

SteyrAUG
09-10-09, 13:29
How did we ever manage to win WWII with that horribly ineffective right hand charging rifle known as the M1 Garand.

:D

buckshot1220
09-11-09, 09:12
Not to mention running an Ultimak rail with a T-1 is out the question with this glorious invention. Sorry, but I'm not giving up my T-1.

Business_Casual
09-11-09, 09:47
If it were non reciprocating like an H&Ks charging handle I think he might have something there.

Wrong, the non-reciprocating charging handle is one of the major problems in clearing malfunctions - see the AR-15 design. The AK clearance drill is usually a simple rack and go.

What is also wrong here is trying to fix the wrong problem with the AK. The AK needs a receiver mounted co-witnessed RDS solution that maintains zero.

M_P

Tripwire
09-11-09, 10:22
Wrong, the non-reciprocating charging handle is one of the major problems in clearing malfunctions - see the AR-15 design. The AK clearance drill is usually a simple rack and go.

What is also wrong here is trying to fix the wrong problem with the AK. The AK needs a receiver mounted co-witnessed RDS solution that maintains zero.

M_P

I agree, I have the ultimak system and a Luppy Scout, but would like to have a full rail to work with, at times my old eyes would love a bit more power, at the MGM Iron Man 3 gun we shoot at targets from 25 yds to 500 yds , granted most are close but a 4 power would be so sweet.

I'd still like to hear from anybody who has the Lightning bolt conversion...

SoDak
09-11-09, 16:14

M_P

Why hasn't anyone figured out how to do that yet?

I kind of remember some guy over on arfcom who had modded a siderail mount so that the rail was to the left of the optic. I don't remember if this gave cowitness, but I think the idea showed promise.

buckshot1220
09-11-09, 16:21
Why hasn't anyone figured out how to do that yet?

I kind of remember some guy over on arfcom who had modded a siderail mount so that the rail was to the left of the optic. I don't remember if this gave cowitness, but I think the idea showed promise.

Has there been issues with the Ultimak losing zero? I've got a little over 1k rounds through my Ultimak/T-1 setup with no loss of zero (at least not noticeable out to 150yds).

Tripwire
09-11-09, 16:38
Has there been issues with the Ultimak losing zero? I've got a little over 1k rounds through my Ultimak/T-1 setup with no loss of zero (at least not noticeable out to 150yds).

I've put at least 2500 to 3 K rounds thru my AK and the Ultimak is rock solid, I see no problems with it but wish they could figure a way to bring it on back over the dust cover and have it be solid like maybe have it tie into the left side of the rec.....until then I guess it's just fine as it is.

buckshot1220
09-11-09, 16:46
I've put at least 2500 to 3 K rounds thru my AK and the Ultimak is rock solid, I see no problems with it but wish they could figure a way to bring it on back over the dust cover and have it be solid like maybe have it tie into the left side of the rec.....until then I guess it's just fine as it is.

Krebs has a rail that extends back over the top cover, but I've never been a big fan of any of those setups simply because it inhibits disassembly.

SoDak
09-11-09, 17:10

Nothing wrong with them as far as I know. I was going to get one at one time until I realized that it might not work the greatest with my aimpoint 9000sc. If I could afford an aimpoint micro I wouldn't have a problem using the ultimak. I just wish there was an optics mount that sat further back and was a bit more flexible with what I can mount on my gun.

Business_Casual
09-11-09, 17:39
There's nothing wrong with the Ultimak as long as you don't mind it ruining the balance of the rifle.

M_P

Tripwire
09-11-09, 17:45
There's nothing wrong with the Ultimak as long as you don't mind it ruining the balance of the rifle.

M_P

My AK is out of balance???????????????? :eek:.!!!!!!!!!!!..don't tell it!! it thinks it's fine, would Dr. Phil be able to help?:D

Just jerking your chain MP, I never noticed mine feeling out of balance....

SoDak
09-11-09, 17:53

M_P

Is it that bad? Currently I'm running the new rail from MI with the afformentioned aimpoint and a surefire g2. That really screwed the balance up. I was figured that maybe the ultimak wouldn't be quite as bad, but I'd still prefer a mount further back regardless.

buckshot1220
09-11-09, 18:03
The Ultimak adds less than one ounce over the standard gas tube, the Aimpoint T-1 adds 3.7 ounces including the integral mount. That is less than five ounces added. I've never noticed a change in balance, especially with a mag in it.

Now, if you add something like an Aimpoint M3/M4 or Eotech that are considerably heavier that is another ball of wax and one that I refrain from comment since I've never handled one.

09-12-09, 13:20
I think I'll pass...

However, this system does help dispel the myth that the Kalashnikov's 'gas tube' has anything to do with cycling the action. The 'gas tube' is nothing more than a guide for the piston, ensuring that it returns to the gas block.

Remember this the next time people discuss vented vs. non-vented gas tubes and gas blocks.

Dave_M
09-13-09, 00:29

This dog-leg rail has been getting very good reviews from some respectable men in the AK community
http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/

I can't personally attest to it yet though. I have a friend with one and we're going to mount and check zero after some abuse though. I'll report back as it goes along.

Tripwire
09-13-09, 08:17
This dog-leg rail has been getting very good reviews from some respectable men in the AK community

I can't personally attest to it yet though. I have a friend with one and we're going to mount and check zero after some abuse though. I'll report back as it goes along.

Thanks DavePal
I contacted them a while back, I have the Milled Arsenal Inc rifle and at that time they said it wouldn't fit, but maybe things have changed!!, thanks for reminding me of them!

Tokarev
09-13-09, 16:34

How does this differ from the Krebs unit, other than price?

11B40C2P
09-13-09, 18:21
Sorry,

I have been asked to remove all content of this product at the request of the patent developer.

Tokarev
09-13-09, 19:22
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i268/Itzlzha/KoolAidManShotgun.gif

11B40C2P
09-13-09, 20:20
Sorry man, did not mean to cut you off.
You can find some information on the Texas Weapon System site.
Look at the coustomer reviews on the dog leg.

The kreb sells for over 2 1/2 as much and offers the advatange of a back up sight which is only usable when the optic is off if using the lowest aimpoint ring. If you are thinking about mounting an optic on an ak the dog leg is one of the best options.

Vic303
09-17-09, 17:45
Scoutscopes makes a decent rear-sight AK mount platform. It works find for RDS optics, though the position makes glass more problematic in both stability (the rail is short) and eye relief (you're pretty well stuck with LER glass).

IPSC_GUY
09-21-09, 17:47
Nice rail system!
Looks like a solid platform for optics.
Have you seen this left handed charging handle for the AK?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZiVqIarZt4

OK NOW THAT has my interest. Non reciprocating left side charging UP out of the way. I went to his website and he is also working on a Last Round Bolt Hold open Device. For most AKs it is not a huge deal. For the Saiga 12 it is the Bloody Holy Grail.

Intrigued I am.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

kal
09-21-09, 18:02
Nice rail system!
Looks like a solid platform for optics.
Have you seen this left handed charging handle for the AK?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZiVqIarZt4

Why don't they design it with a simple ****ing knob? Look at his ass fumble with the folding handle.

It was a mistake on the FAL, the HK's, and now this.

"Yeah we're putting the charging handle on the left side for easier manipulation, but we're going to use a folding charging handle to make it difficult."

WTF?

Tripwire
09-21-09, 18:11
Why don't they design it with a simple ****ing knob? Look at his ass fumble with the folding handle.

It was a mistake on the FAL, the HK's, and now this.

"Yeah we're putting the charging handle on the left side for easier manipulation, but we're going to use a folding charging handle to make it difficult."

WTF?

My exact thought when I saw it, really sucked on my FAL's...the lightning is much better and don't fold... But of course this was a thread about rails..."HIJACKED"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShqxfgsCxE&NR=1

11B40C2P
09-22-09, 09:25
Sorry,

I have been asked to remove all content of this product at the request of the patent developer.

Tripwire
09-22-09, 11:27
Called DTS and you are right!

The LINCH is only priced at 60.00 usd.1/4 the price of the Light Bolt at 250.00usd.
The LINCH is one replacement top cover that works on all calibers unlike the Lighting Bolt. A lich or metric FAL charging handle can be used in the LINCH.
The metric charging handle may be that simple ****ing knob you are looking for?

Cool, when they make one with the "SFK" I'll buy one in a heart beat...

11B40C2P
09-22-09, 20:28
Sorry,

11B40C2P
09-29-09, 17:16
Sorry,

ThirdWatcher
09-29-09, 20:06
I bought my first AK (a WASR) so my young warriors could practice with it (to become familiar with the enemy's weaponry). I bought my second AK (an Arsenal SGL20-41) because I saw a certain beauty in the simplicity of the design. If I want something more sophisticated, I reach for one of my ARs.

Just my $0.02, though.:)

BushmasterFanBoy
09-29-09, 20:15
A proto-type LINCH with a Metric BFK!:p

Now that's nice looking. :eek: Seems about as perfect as a left handed charging handle can get.

11B40C2P
09-29-09, 21:41
Sorry,

I have been asked to remove all content of this product at the request of patent developer.

goodoleboy
10-04-09, 20:51
That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Can anyone say... recall?

kal
10-05-09, 17:09
That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Can anyone say... recall?

Wait, what's going on?

Jay Cunningham
10-05-09, 18:07
I'm locking this unless someone contacts me with a really good reason to re-open it.