PDA

View Full Version : cops set-up women.....on dash-cam

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 00:13
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Cops-Set-Up-Woman-After-Crash.html

Theyre on administrative duty.....WTF?!?!?!?!

shouldnt they be out looking for work at a new job?

"

news local-beat
Charges Dropped Against Woman Framed by Cops
Police seen plotting to blame car accident on woman they hit
By TODD WRIGHT
Updated 6:11 PM EDT, Wed, Jul 29, 2009

Print Email Share Buzz up! TWITTER FACEBOOK

Hollywood Police

Alexandra Torrensvilas was the target of cops who pinned a DUI on her for an accident they caused. Now she has been cleared of charges after the Broward State Attorney's Office officially dropped the four DUI citations on Wednesday.

But the saga is far from over as now prosecutors turn their attention to the four Hollywood police officers who made up an intricate story to cover for a February traffic accident involving a cop car. The scheme was caught on one of the officers dashboard cameras.

The disturbing video shows Alexandra Torrensvilas, 23, handcuffed in the back of the squad car as the officers get their stories straight on what they are going to say happened.

Officer Joel Francisco, 36, an 11-year veteran, crashed into the back of Torrensvilas' vehicle at a light on February 17 at midnight. The cop radioed to other officers who converged on the scene and hatched a way to bail Francisco out.

Cops Tall Tale Caught
Cops Tall Tale Caught
WATCH

Cops Tall Tale Caught

Officer Dewey Pressley, 42, arrives and questions Torrensvilas, who tells him that she has been drinking. The 21-year veteran officer seizes the opportunity and arrests her for DUI. But the plot thickens from there.

The cops begin to brainstorm believable excuses for the accident.

"As far as I'm concerned. I'm going to put words in his mouth. She went to accelerate and a cat jumped out of the window at which point he thought it could have been a pedestrian, which distracted him," Pressley tells Sgt. Andrew Diaz, another veteran of the force. "I mean what's the chances of hitting a f---in drunk when a cat jumps out of the window?"

Still, the cops run with the half-baked idea and rush to get Torrensvilas to do a Breathalyzer test so they can officially say she was drunk.

"I nailed her on the video. I already hung her on video. She said she has been doing a beer party," Pressley says. "She's gonna blow."

Then, another cop debates with Pressley on who is going to write up the fabricated report to clear their police comrade.

"I know how I'm going to word this with the cat so we can get him off the hook. I'll write the narrative," Pressley says. "We're going to bend this a little bit."

Civilian Community Service Officer Karim Thomas joins the three senior officers and the four cops go so far as to change the angle of pictures of the accident to make it look like Torrensvilas swerved in front of the cop car and caused the accident, not Francisco.

Throughout the tape, the cops acknowledged what they are doing is illegal, but when you are the law, there is nothing wrong with bending it for a fellow cop, one says.

"I don't lie and make things up ever because it's wrong, but if I need to bend it a little bit to protect a cop, I'll do it," Pressley tells Francisco after reassuring him no one will ever find out. "She's freaking hammered anyway."

The cops even do a final rehearsal before Villa is taken to the city lock up.

"We'll take care of it," one officer says. The others reply: "We're good."

The police officers are currently on administrative duty pending a state attorney's office investigation.
"

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 00:15
I found another article about this, but nothing since july 31st.

here is the article.

"
Hollywood Chief: Cover-Up Cops Will Be Investigated
Hollywood Police chief says a fifth officer may have been involved in traffic accident cover-up
By ARI ODZER and BRIAN HAMACHER
Updated 2:39 PM EDT, Fri, Jul 31, 2009

Print Email Share Buzz up! TWITTER FACEBOOK

The police chief of Hollywood is speaking out for the first time since a video surfaced showing some of his officers trying to frame a DUI suspect for a February traffic accident.

Chief Chadwick Wagner spoke outside the Hollywood Police Department today, ensuring the public that his office is investigating the incident, which he said he had no knowledge of until just three days ago.

"I realize and understand those that feel a sense of betrayal over this incident," Wagner said. "And I ask each and every one of you to allow this investigative process to run its course and to have confidence that this matter will be investigated accurately and professionally."

Wagner said that he immediately called internal affairs when he learned of the incident, and he is bringing in the Broward County State Attorney's office to assist in the investigation.

Cops Tall Tale Caught
Cops Tall Tale Caught
WATCH

Cops Tall Tale Caught

Wagner said he couldn't discuss the specifics of the case because the investigation is ongoing, but he did add a fifth name to the list of Hollywood officials being investigated, crime scene technician Andrea Tomassi.

Tomassi, along with Officers Joel Francisco and Dewey Pressley, Sgt. Andrew Diaz and community service Officer Karim Thomas are under investigation for the shocking February 17 incident that was all caught on a police dashboard camera.

The disturbing video shows Alexandra Torrensvilas, 23, handcuffed in the back of the squad car as the officers get their stories straight after Officer Francisco, an 11-year veteran, crashed into the back of Torrensvilas' vehicle.

When Officer Pressley arrives and questions Torrensvilas, she tells him that she has been drinking. The 21-year veteran officer seized the opportunity and arrests her for DUI, and then the cops begin to brainstorm believable excuses for the accident.

"As far as I'm concerned. I'm going to put words in his mouth. She went to accelerate and a cat jumped out of the window at which point he thought it could have been a pedestrian, which distracted him," Pressley tells Sgt. Andrew Diaz, another veteran of the force. "I mean what's the chances of hitting a f---in drunk when a cat jumps out of the window?"

Still, the cops run with the half-baked idea and rush to get Torrensvilas to do a Breathalyzer test so they can officially say she was drunk.

"I nailed her on the video. I already hung her on video. She said she has been doing a beer party," Pressley says. "She's gonna blow."

Then, another cop debates with Pressley on who is going to write up the fabricated report to clear their police comrade.

"I know how I'm going to word this with the cat so we can get him off the hook. I'll write the narrative," Pressley says. "We're going to bend this a little bit. We'll do a little Walt Disney to protect the cop because it wouldn't have mattered because she is drunk anyway."

The charges against Torrensvilas have since been dropped. The five employees have been suspended with pay.
"

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 00:23
ok, i didnt expect this....:rolleyes:
I wonder if the internal investigation will go over all these jackasses previous arrests.

oh yea, and fire them all.

"
Hollywood officer accused of lying in another DUI case

A Hollywood police officer accused of doctoring an arrest report last February is now accused of lying under oath in another DUI case.

A Hollywood police officer under investigation after he was recorded discussing how to doctor a woman's arrest report last February is now accused of lying about the existance of a video in a separate arrest.

Officer Dewey Pressley lied during court proceedings about details of an August 2008 arrest involving Steven Berglund after saying the video that recorded the arrest did not exist, said Berglund's attorney Robert Reiff.

According to court depositions, Pressley said last February that he did not record Berglund's DUI arrest because of issues with the department's in-car camera system.

However, Reiff had already received a copy of the video recorded by Pressley's in-car dash camera.

Some details of the arrest laid out by Pressley in his deposition and a transcript of the video, both supplied to The Miami Herald by Reiff, are inconsistent.

``His version of the facts greatly diverged from what appeared on the video that had been recorded,'' Reiff wrote in his motion.

Berglund pleaded no contest July 9 to reduced charges after the state attorney's office learned of Pressley's testimony. Berglund received three years probation, 30 days in a Broward jail and a 10-year suspension of his driver's license, Reiff's motion states.

Now, after learning video existed of Pressley allegedly falsifying a police report during a Feb. 17 crash involving Hollywood officer Joel Francisco and 23-year-old Alexandra Torrens-Vilas, Reiff is looking to fight the charges.

``I'm sure part of it was mistake on his part,'' Reiff said of Pressley's accounts during the deposition.

``But it is also indicative of a culture of embellishment.''

Pressley could not be reached for comment.

Jeff Marano, senior vice president for the Police Benevolent Association, said Reiff and other attorneys are just piling on the recent allegations against Pressley, who he said is a ``thorough investigator.''

``If the state felt it was a material lie and Pressley was clearly intentionally perjuring himself then the state would have moved ahead and dismissed'' the case, said Marano, a retired Hollywood police lieutenant.

The latest allegation comes as defense attorneys continue to pick apart cases involving Pressley and the four other Hollywood police officers accused of doctoring Torrens-Vilas' DUI arrest report.

Two cannabis possession cases against a juvenile have already been dropped and the Public Defender's office is currently reviewing numerous cases pending and closed to see if they could be affected.

``We're pulling old cases,'' said Mindy Solomon, chief assistant public defender.

``We have really made a decision to prioritize this and really work through them.''

Ron Ishoy, a state attorney's office spokesman, said Friday that together, the officers are listed as potential witnesses in 110 felony cases and 250 misdemeanor cases –– though he said the number of affected cases will be less because some of the officers are witnesses on the same case.

Along with Pressley and Francisco, Sgt. Andrew Diaz, Community Service Officer Karim Thomas and Crime Scene Technician Andrea Tomassi are also under investigation. "

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 00:31
wow, im surprised by this.
the officer that got in a crash.......8 other crashes on-duty.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/story/1176947.html

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/broward/story/1176947.html

and shes taking them to court.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade/story/1170154.html?storylink=mirelated

Still dont know if theyre losing their jobs...

perna
08-28-09, 02:10
WOW, I was wondering why they would risk making up a story over a little car accident, but him being involved in 8 makes sense. For all those officers to risk their job over this Im sure it goes alot deeper, he must know stuff about the other officers. I cant believe anyone would want to even work with him, you call for backup and he will crash on the way.

John_Wayne777
08-28-09, 06:58
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-beat/Cops-Set-Up-Woman-After-Crash.html

Theyre on administrative duty.....WTF?!?!?!?!

Because police agencies are government entities, any attempt to fire someone becomes a "taking" action by the government and as such involves their civil rights. This means that to fire the person the government must be careful to observe due process by providing some sort of hearing where the individual can be heard. The individual has to be given sufficient notice of this hearing and sufficient time to prepare for it.

...so in other words, the reason why you see police officers put on suspension or administrative duties when they've been caught doing something stupid/illegal is because the process has to be observed or the courts will get all persnickety about it and award the dude money.

rob_s
08-28-09, 07:18
she was a legit DUI though, wasn't she? As the law has always been explained to me, if you're tanked and get in a wreck, even if the other guy hits you, it's your fault.

Which doesn't excuse the stupidity of the "cat" story. and in some ways makes it worse.

But the idea that she's just a poor innocent victim? C'mon.

civilian
08-28-09, 07:34
Well that might be the case, but sure as heck doesn't sound legal. If you're tanked then you should be arrested for DUI/DWI, but you certainly shouldn't be automatically held at fault if someone else was responsible for the accident.

she was a legit DUI though, wasn't she? As the law has always been explained to me, if you're tanked and get in a wreck, even if the other guy hits you, it's your fault.

Which doesn't excuse the stupidity of the "cat" story. and in some ways makes it worse.

four
08-28-09, 15:16

It's not the crime, It's the Cover up.

She may be guilty of the DUI but that doesn't make her any less the victim of a conspiracy to place all the culpability on her.

But your right, if she *was* totally at fault, or even legally fully guilty in this case, that would make the cops stupid as well as corrupt.

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 22:41
Because police agencies are government entities, any attempt to fire someone becomes a "taking" action by the government and as such involves their civil rights. This means that to fire the person the government must be careful to observe due process by providing some sort of hearing where the individual can be heard. The individual has to be given sufficient notice of this hearing and sufficient time to prepare for it.

...so in other words, the reason why you see police officers put on suspension or administrative duties when they've been caught doing something stupid/illegal is because the process has to be observed or the courts will get all persnickety about it and award the dude money.

I didnt know that and it makes sense....in some cases. i dont see how it makes sense in this case.

Im not trying to argue, im just curious, what money would he be awarded if he got fired? Money for what?

stevenhyde
08-28-09, 22:47

How do we know she was drunk?

the cop said she was at a beer party. the cop said she was drunk. well, we already know the cops a liar.

I didnt see anything about her admitting anything.

maybe she was drunk, maybe she wasnt.

maybe the cop(w/ 8 previous accidents in patrol cars) was following too close. maybe he wasnt paying attention. maybe he made the DUI and the cat story up.

florida law says the rear car in an accident is at fault. no matter what. thats why you dont tailgate like i imagine the cop was doing.

armakraut
08-28-09, 23:55
"Francisco, you're a good patrolman, but I swear, one more at-fault rear-end collision and you're off the force!"

rob_s
08-29-09, 06:13
How do we know she was drunk?

the cop said she was at a beer party. the cop said she was drunk. well, we already know the cops a liar.

I didnt see anything about her admitting anything.

maybe she was drunk, maybe she wasnt.

maybe the cop(w/ 8 previous accidents in patrol cars) was following too close. maybe he wasnt paying attention. maybe he made the DUI and the cat story up.

florida law says the rear car in an accident is at fault. no matter what. thats why you dont tailgate like i imagine the cop was doing.

I would assume that there are records one way or the other, but typically you blow at the scene and again at the station.

BVickery
08-29-09, 08:46
I would assume that there are records one way or the other, but typically you blow at the scene and again at the station.

I remember this when it first came up. Rob, the problem is that no sobriety test was administered when they started to plot, they only some sort of video he says he is going to 'hang her out to dry on'.

rob_s
08-29-09, 08:57
I remember this when it first came up. Rob, the problem is that no sobriety test was administered when they started to plot, they only some sort of video he says he is going to 'hang her out to dry on'.

And one was never done? Weird. Do I have the SOP correct in that DUI arrestees blow at the scene and at booking or at the station?

John_Wayne777
08-29-09, 09:27
I didnt know that and it makes sense....in some cases. i dont see how it makes sense in this case.

Im not trying to argue, im just curious, what money would he be awarded if he got fired? Money for what?

Due process is something that has to be observed regardless of the officer's conduct. If they caught him eating babies they'd still have to go through the process to fire him or he could sue and get awarded back pay.

rob_s
08-29-09, 09:34
Due process is something that has to be observed regardless of the officer's conduct. If they caught him eating babies they'd still have to go through the process to fire him or he could sue and get awarded back pay.

I worked part-time for a state university when I was going there. We had a secretarial type that was a DRUNK! She cam to work drunk, screwed things up because she was drunk, missed work because she had been drinking, etc. They fired her, and at the meeting she said "I have a medical condition". Magic words. Now she is entitled to "treatment" and "counseling" for her "condition" of "addiction". They had to hold her position, pay her disability, etc. It was nuts.

So I have no doubt in my mind that LE agencies have to keep people on until they dot all the t's and cross all the i's. Private frim? fire them for farting if you want to. Public agency? it could take years to get someone out. Not only that, but they are typically part of a union which is a whole other can of worms.

VooDoo6Actual
08-29-09, 09:39
Wow,

When I read some of the comments here regarding it's her fault and the rationalizations regarding her fault for the lieing, fabrication of evidence and corruption I'm sure glad I don't know some of you.

If that happened to your Mother or Daughter I seriously doubt... nevermind that's SCARY for real.

:(

rob_s
08-29-09, 09:44
You'll have to point me to the posts that say it's her fault. I'm having a tough time finding them.

seb5
08-29-09, 09:55
I think that her being DWI and the attempted cover up are separate incidents. Quite honestly the DWI became secondary, if even that, once the cops became involved in the conspiracy against her. Sure she should have been arrested for DWI. No problem there, if she indeed was. Therein lies the problem with integrity issues. Does anyone here really believe she was sober? I don't. But once you are shown to be a liar it really doesn't matter anymore. You will not be believed, unless you're a criminal defense attorney. Cops should be held to a standard of integrity. You cannot explain a viable reason why they should not. I would take a bullet for my co workers but I will not lie for them and I will not jack up a suspect/citizen for them. They crossed the line and only have themselves to blame. It doesn't sound like there are any innocents involved in this incident.

Gutshot John
08-29-09, 09:59
Fruit from a poison tree.

If the cops engaged in illegality to build a portion of the case against her, the whole case must be dismissed.

I'm a bit funny about law ENFORCEMENT types, violating the law.

politicaldookie
08-29-09, 14:42
Hollywood PD is notorious for its corruption as is the City generally.

Spiffums
08-29-09, 20:52
Would they have known she was drunk if he hadn't hit her?

And doesn't every drunk they stop on COPS say they have had 2 beers?

CarlosDJackal
08-29-09, 23:51
...Theyre on administrative duty.....WTF?!?!?!?!

Not defending none, but everyone is entitled to due process. IMHO, once they find them guilty of this, they should not just be fired, butalso charged with whatever they can charger them with.

As far as the DUI, if she did blow above the state limit, they should charge her anyway. DUI is DUI regarless of how they found out. Outside of entrapment, of course. JM2CW.

woodandsteel
08-30-09, 09:40
Not defending none, but everyone is entitled to due process. IMHO, once they find them guilty of this, they should not just be fired, butalso charged with whatever they can charger them with.

As far as the DUI, if she did blow above the state limit, they should charge her anyway. DUI is DUI regarless of how they found out. Outside of entrapment, of course. JM2CW.

The problem is, how can the state prove impairment on her part? The officers' testimony is no longer valid in court. The defense attorney will have no problem suppressing any other evidence, including a breath test.

It's like they say in law enforcement, as it pertains to the police officer, "if you lie you die." You get caught lying, you are out of a job.

VooDoo6Actual
08-30-09, 10:05
The bigger picture is EVERY single collar this LEO made is now suspect of tamping/fabricating evidence and becomes part of the process.

crenca
08-30-09, 23:46
The bigger picture is EVERY single collar this LEO made is now suspect of tamping/fabricating evidence and becomes part of the process.

Justly so. Where do I send money to fund this process? EVERY single conviction based on anything this guy said or did whould get out of jail NOW.

I ain't no liberal, but this kind of stuff is really really bad...

rickrock305
08-31-09, 00:45
Hollywood PD is notorious for its corruption as is the City generally.

yes, very. right up there with Miami Beach PD.

Longhorn
08-31-09, 08:37

I don't think J_W777 is saying per-se that this individual Officer is getting any coin.

(least my understanding...) He's saying that these rules are in place so Admin doesn't just say "You're fired" over allegations. Because when they're found to be false, you've shitcanned and black-marked a "good" officer who now, guess what? Files suit against you for wrongful termination and eventually gets some money out of the deal.

Afterall, we're all presumed innocent until proven guilty. Even with dash cam evidence supporting the crime, he's still entitled to the same due process and legal procedings as those individuals he himself arrested.

mmike87
08-31-09, 09:18
Were these dash camera installed without the officer's knowledge? Or were they drunk and simply forgot that they were there?

Hello - if you're engaging in a conspiracy, make sure you're out of mic range.

Idiots for doing it, idiots for letting it be recorded.

mmike87
08-31-09, 09:20
The problem is, how can the state prove impairment on her part? The officers' testimony is no longer valid in court. The defense attorney will have no problem suppressing any other evidence, including a breath test.

It's like they say in law enforcement, as it pertains to the police officer, "if you lie you die." You get caught lying, you are out of a job.

Yeah, good luck convincing a jury to convict her based on anything these guys said or found.

John_Wayne777
08-31-09, 12:09
I don't think J_W777 is saying per-se that this individual Officer is getting any coin.

(least my understanding...) He's saying that these rules are in place so Admin doesn't just say "You're fired" over allegations. Because when they're found to be false, you've shitcanned and black-marked a "good" officer who now, guess what? Files suit against you for wrongful termination and eventually gets some money out of the deal.

Afterall, we're all presumed innocent until proven guilty. Even with dash cam evidence supporting the crime, he's still entitled to the same due process and legal procedings as those individuals he himself arrested.

Due process concerns are attached when government takes an action like firing an employee. If government doesn't observe those rights it is looked upon as a breach of rights by the agency and possibly individual officials in the agency...which makes them liable for damages.

There was actually a Supreme court case (cite escapes me for the moment) of an officer who was busted for MJ and immediately fired from the campus police department where he worked...and the court said that his due process rights were violated. The department had to give him back pay and benefits. That's why due process is observed even when the officer being hammered is 100% in the wrong and the department would be better off without them.

...so it's not just the good guys that get hammered. I'm not an expert on the topic, but I'd wager that the scumbags who find their way into the LE profession are far more skilled at self preservation and using the rules and procedures to their advantage than the good guys...which is why they seem to get away with a hell of a lot more.

stevenhyde
08-31-09, 13:36
Towards the end of the video when the officer comes back towards the car, you can hear him say something along the lines of

" the dash cam is on, but i dont give a *uck."

Were these dash camera installed without the officer's knowledge? Or were they drunk and simply forgot that they were there?

Hello - if you're engaging in a conspiracy, make sure you're out of mic range.

Idiots for doing it, idiots for letting it be recorded.

CarlosDJackal
08-31-09, 13:52
The problem is, how can the state prove impairment on her part? The officers' testimony is no longer valid in court. The defense attorney will have no problem suppressing any other evidence, including a breath test...

Funny how you seemed to have "missed" this last part of my post: "...Outside of entrapment, of course." :rolleyes:

woodandsteel
08-31-09, 15:47
Funny how you seemed to have "missed" this last part of my post: "...Outside of entrapment, of course." :rolleyes:

I didn't miss that part. I was only trying to say that no matter how valid the DUI charge may be, once any part of the officer's testimony can be impeached, the whole testimony will be thrown out.

Entrapment is enticing someone to commit the crime. The young lady in this case already committed the DUI herself. There was no entrapment. As soon as the officers talked about covering their tracks, there whole testimony became invalid. A prosecutor would be wrong to go forward with this at trial.

Basically, the police in this case screwed up. As a result, a drunk driver gets to walk. I don't like it either.

My apologies to you if you thought I was intentionally trying to misquote you.