PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun shooting vest recommendations?

FlyingHunter
02-08-07, 15:22
I enjoyed my first 3 gun competition last weekend. I was the obvious new guy because I did not have the obiligatory vest with all the cool pouches etc... I had standard pistol dual mag holders and to everyones horror carried my extra rifle mags in my jacket. Who can help with recommendations for a 3 gun vest ? I saw alot of guys with plate carriers(most common), some with simple vest/pouch combos, and others with full armor.Thanks.

Snake RAH
02-08-07, 17:24
To me, a three gun vest or rig has to do one thing: carry enough ammunition to complete the particular stage.

Since you've shot one match there, figure up how much rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo you used on a single stage, and then perhaps add a magazine to the count for rifle and pistol, and then 5 shells for the shotgun.

I like to keep my rigs as simple as possible. I've shot in a fully loaded Tactical Tailor 2-piece MAV, or a Patriot Performance Materials Patroller rig, or a Custom Tactical Creations Modular Harness, or a 5.11 cool guy vest, or a simple belt rig, with 4 rifle mags, 3 pistol mags, 25 or so shotshells, and a blow out kit.

The easiest setup I think to put together is a belt rig. Pistol mags and rifle mags are on my weakside, pistol and shotgun ammo (in a big pouch, not separated) on my strong side.

Chris_C
02-08-07, 19:50
I ordered a bandolier, a simple one. I am using my IPSC set up still for the pistol stuff...kydex mag holders and my back pockets.

rhino
02-09-07, 15:18
It would also help to specify which rules your local 3-gun matches use, as there are many and what might be good for some are inappropriate for others.

For instance, vests of any kind are uncommon in USPSA events, butseen more often in some of the other organizations.

I can't remember if sinistralrifleman participates here or now, but he has a lot of experience with vest and similar rigs used in 3-gun matches. If you can't find him here, you might want to check the 3-gun forum at www.ar15.com.

Zak Smith
02-10-07, 21:36
I almost never run a vest-- the only match where it's really needed is the MGM Ironman. Otherwise I use belt carriers for several pistol and AR mags.

FlyingHunter
02-12-07, 21:45
Thanks for the feedback

rob_s
02-13-07, 05:14
I like simple chest rigs like the Eagle FB setup or the Specter Gear chest rigs, either of which carries 3 rifle magazines. If you get the molle versions you can add other useful pouches to the chest rig without adding too much bulk.

We shoot action matches, where we generally require at least one reload and/or a transition. We have had stages where shooters have needed a total of 3 magazines. I like to have at least one spare beyond that, so the chest rig I use is perfect for that. We often start stages with one or more downloaded magazines in order to force people to reload.

I do agree, however, that you need to tailor your equipment to the type of matches you shoot. If you're shooting your typical USPSA 3-gun where transitions are handled by laying the long gun on a table and where reloads on the clock are rare, you may not need anything more than a single mag on your belt.