PDA

View Full Version : Panic Buyers selling off in your area?

Beat Trash
08-28-09, 08:58
We all observed the panic after the election. People running out to purchase AR's. I observed people buying Bushmasters at an enormous mark up, afraid to set the gun on the counter because there were people with credit card in hand waiting to grab it and run to the counter and buy it.

I watched people of all walks of life from blue collar worker to corporate executive, panicking. It felt as if we were actively involved in a Katrina type of situation, and the rioters were a block away.

I watched buyers asking what all those buttons and levers (safety, mag release) were for.

These are people who most likely would have thought there was nothing wrong with banning military type "Assault Rifles" if asked a year ago. Now...

I said to myself, that if we go about 6-10 months without any new bans, then most of these guns would be available on the used gun market, marked "NIB".

With the economy in the shape it is, one would assume that the AR's these people bought on impulse would be the first thing to be sold off.

But then I remembered the panic buying that occurred leading up to Y2K. Cases of ammo, and guns were flying out of the gun shows. Told myself and friends that if the world was still functional on January 1st, then I'd be buying up these used guns during the January and February gun shows. I went, not many selling.

The question I ask all of you is this, are you seeing the impulse buyers selling off their AR's in your area?

I'm not really seeing it where I am at.

Could it be too early?

Could it be that the soccer mom crowd decided it really isn't that bad of an idea to have something on hand, just in case?

Could it be as simple as they paid so much more than the gun was really worth, that they don't want to take such a drastic hit when they discovered what it's really worth, and how much they could actually get for it?

Icculus
08-28-09, 09:37
Could it be as simple as they paid so much more than the gun was really worth, that they don't want to take such a drastic hit when they discovered what it's really worth, and how much they could actually get for it?

Think you answered your question here. They just assume keep what they bought instead of taking a several hundred dollar hit where they overpaid.

Spooky130
08-28-09, 09:59
I haven't seen it either...

vel525
08-28-09, 10:04
Agreed, I think people are not willing to take a huge loss on something at this point. Maybe there are a few people out there that have no choice because they are hurting for cash flow, but for the most part if people can hold onto them I think they will.

perna
08-28-09, 10:06
I dont think there is anyone in their right mind thinking that there will not be another ban on the same weapons and more than last time. Why lose a few hundred now when if there is a ban you can make a thousand.

Business_Casual
08-28-09, 10:11
If you buy a set of golf clubs, and then fail to get out and play golf, do you try to dump them or just let them collect dust in the basement? I think there are a lot of ARs collecting dust in the back of the closet.

M_P

87GN
08-28-09, 10:16
What I have noticed is that everyone is out of cash and looking to trade.

I have also seen some people trying to sell ARs/parts that were obviously bought at a higher price - right now there's a guy here in town with an NIB N4 Light Basic with a SOPMOD stock for $1395.

Nathan_Bell
08-28-09, 10:33
I have seen some of it, but not as much as I had thought we would.

I am guessing that it is two main factors.

One, many folks overpaid by a fair margin and do not want to take the hit.

Two, they are still very concerned how the politics of the country seem to be going.

MarshallDodge
08-28-09, 10:43
I have been seeing quite a few AR's in the local classifieds that were "bought in December, only shot 60 rounds through it."

Here is a Rock River:

I bought this Rock River Ar15 5 months ago. It comes with 6, 30 round magazines, soft case, hard case, 880 rounds of 55 gr. ammunition(Wolf), A 4 reticle red dot sight, a second regular red dot sight, fore grip, detachable rear iron sight, a 3-9 illuminated mill dot scope in red and green, red laser with pressure switch, green laser with pressure switch, tactical vest, extra batteries, tools for all accessories, 2 slings, couple riser mounts and and additional extractor, I have only fired 300 rounds through it. This gun is smooth and fun, I have a lot invested in it and hate to let it go. I am open to reasonable offers. It also comes with a bipod.
Asking price is $1500, and most of the accessories are airsoft grade. It has been on for 5 days so the panic is definitely over.

Heavy Metal
08-28-09, 10:57
I dont think there is anyone in their right mind thinking that there will not be another ban on the same weapons and more than last time.

I consider myself in the right mind and consider anyone who is setting on a large stock of arms with the hopes another ban will make him rich to be a first class fool.

There aren't the votes to pass it in the current congress and there are likely to be far fewer still after November of 2010. Remember, this congress force-fed a pro-CCW in Nation Parks amendment to a credt card reform bill to Obama. There is a wide gulf to cross from there to another ban.

The political calculus isn't there and likely to only get worse for the anti's in the years to come.

Beat Trash
08-28-09, 14:44
The answers so far seem to indicate that things are the same in other parts of the country as what I am seeing in my area.

I witnessed more volume of panic buying this time than I witnessed durning the Y2K panic buying event. Talking with a friend who is part owner of one of the larger volume gun stores in the region confirms what I have witnessed.

I am now getting the feeling that, like in early 2000, those who have purchased the guns and ammunition, by in large, seem to be holding onto them.

I just hope that at least some of these people spent a few dollars to get some training on how to use their new toys...

bullseye
08-28-09, 15:04
i picked an h-bar after y2k,, on the cheap. been looking for another "deal",, i also think people are scared to let them go,, now that they have one. just wait til the crew in washington mentions "gun control-ban again,,, the panic will start all over. i think most folks realize this.

jrainer
08-28-09, 15:14
Going through the little nickel every week I have been seeing quite a few rock river bushmaster and del-ton AR's for sale for around 1400 or so lately. Just today saw an ad for a Del-ton with 1000 rounds of pmc for sale 1950.00. So they are out there trying to sell em off but I don't think they will get to many takers at those prices

30 cal slut
08-28-09, 15:22
i'm still buying, if that makes you feel any better.

Heavy Metal
08-28-09, 15:34

That is because your Yankee ass has more money than Davy Crockett!

08-28-09, 15:51
HEAVY- I'm with you. I see no chance a ban could pass right now. Hell, it won't even be attempted. If dumbass gets re-elected, maybe a try at it but even then I doubt it. I don't see the Dems picking up many seats in the '10 elections. They've shot themselves in the foot with the porkulous bill and health care.

thogue
08-28-09, 16:13
That is because your Yankee ass has more money than Davy Crockett!
im just going to laugh at this since it seems this thread is going off in several directions.

edit:
p.s. I never saw any ban coming. It was never their focus at all. Politicians just say what they need to say to make people happy.

But it is funny to see people walk into store or gunshow and buy everything they can because they are scared. I think its good business. lol

averageshooter
08-28-09, 16:20
Have not really seen the mass sell off. I am hoping that I do see some nice ones go up for sale though. Could always another :D

Matt

thogue
08-28-09, 16:38
Have not really seen the mass sell off. I am hoping that I do see some nice ones go up for sale though. Could always another :D

Matt

I am sure there will be a fair share of people who bought ar recently give them up in the next couple of years. Especially if economy is like this. Its like having cash sitting around. I surely will be waiting for these people to show up as well.

Caeser25
08-28-09, 17:00

Me too :D at about the same pace as before. I seen an ad for a complete lower for $450ish, DPMS possibly, I can't remember.

averageshooter
08-28-09, 17:04
I guess I will ask here what lowers are you guys looking at as tier 1 etc. Kinda off topic but considering having a mk12 mod 1 built....

Matt

Cameron
08-28-09, 17:27
Look at the for sale section in here, there are a lot of un-fired uppers and complete rifles for sale.

I sold a Bushmaster in the beginning of the year for about $2200 about $1400 more than I paid for it, and sold an AK for $1500 more than I paid for it. I always try to be a contrarian, so I sell in the buying frenzy and now is the time to be buying.

Cameron

JeepDriver
08-28-09, 17:40
The shop I work at part time has been getting a higher then normal amount of calls about buying guns.

I'm thinking by Christmas, I should be able to get a pretty good deal on a Colt 6920 or Daniel Defense Carbine.

I'm stuffing some cash away to snag the right deal.

Abraxas
08-28-09, 18:03
Look at the for sale section in here, there are a lot of un-fired uppers and complete rifles for sale.

I sold a Bushmaster in the beginning of the year for about $2200 about $1400 more than I paid for it, and sold an AK for $1500 more than I paid for it. I always try to be a contrarian, so I sell in the buying frenzy and now is the time to be buying.

Cameron

You evil free market person, who understands supply and demand, you;). In my area not many are selling off, but the buying has dropped off. Most that I have talked to are holding on to what they have, because they still expect a ban at some point, but they are out of money for anymore purchases.

RogerinTPA
08-28-09, 21:38
Nothing in my area. Seems like buying has all but slowed to a trickle. With the exception of the folks on gun forums, that hoarded and are now, either trying to break even or are broke, people are retaining their firearms for one reason only. The Unknown factor(read fickleness) in the WH. With the flick of a pen, all this shit can be illegal in a heartbeat.

kennith13
08-29-09, 06:21
They are still being snapped up a bit over here. The thing is, they always manage to have them at the gun shows. I bought one myself, not too long, ago, on impulse. You know how it is at a gun show. Sometimes, you just can't help yourself.

Well, just a few days ago I placed it for sale on consignment. I was staring into the safe, and feeling a bit silly, with all the black shining out of it, and I decided that I wouldn't miss one of them. So, I decided to sell the one I bought at the show, because I probably shouldn't have bought it anyway.

Will it sell? We will see. I left a healthy price on it, and I suppose if it sells that will show that people are still scrambling to get them. It was essentially new, anyway, and I did include a couple of items that didn't come with it.

All I know is that aside from the one I placed for sale, there are precious few on the shelves around here, and few as well being advertised. The net is always full of profiteers, though.

big 54r
08-29-09, 07:23
I'm with rharris, the unknown factor has most in my area retaining the firearms they bought but still buying ammo.

I have noticed that since the "slow down" in sales that prices are slowly coming down and availability is going up.

Production schedules have caught up with demand.

I for one still have a way to go to get my 6920!:mad::D

Nothing in my area. Seems like buying has all but slowed to a trickle. With the exception of the folks on gun forums, that hoarded and are now, either trying to break even or are broke, people are retaining their firearms for one reason only. The Unknown factor(read fickleness) in the WH. With the flick of a pen, all this shit can be illegal in a heartbeat.

M4arc
08-29-09, 07:28
I can't say I see it with private buyers but I know certain shops are now overstocked and instead of trying to butt-ram people like they were a few months ago they've brought their prices back to "normal" and are now crying & whining that they have too much inventory.

I feel bad for them...NOT! :D

sonrider657
08-29-09, 08:07
The FFL's in my area are marking AR's down big time, even to the point of taking a loss. I bougt a NIB M&P15 for $699 two weeks ago! :)

Telecomtodd
08-29-09, 08:37
It really depends - some local Raleigh NC observations:

.223 is plentiful at Walmart. I could buy thousands of rounds of Federal bulk pack 100 round boxes at $39.99 each. I can't make them (using new brass) for that price.

My local Dick's Sporting Goods had several thousand rounds of 9mm in at least three different brands. They haven't had 9mm in stock since February.

In May, there were M&P15-VTACs sitting in boxes unsold at $1150 each, WITH the flashlight attached.

In July, the same gunshow, those same rifles were going for $1400. In fact, just about everything I saw was about 20-30% higher than I could buy from other sources both online and local.

Powder Valley says they are backordered 50 million primers. Still can't find primers locally, but I can buy a rationed 1,000 of each type I want from a Richmond gun store two hours away.

KBAR-04
08-29-09, 08:45
My best friend owns the local gunshop here in Southern Missouri and I watch the shop for him when he is out of town. Ive not seen any sell off of guns or ammo. The demand for ammo is still pretty steady but sales of new ARs are flat. In fact the distributors call us every day almost trying to dump ARs on us(the same guys that did the 500 wholesale price hike last fall..). AK sales are still very good as are handguns.

There still is a major shortage of .22LR ammo. Our local walmart has none, and has had none since last fall. We got in 35K rounds of it and sold it all within 2 weeks. The distributors have all hiked the prices on ammo. We make the same thing on it now that we did before the price hikes so its not the local shops its the middlemen.

Telecomtodd
08-29-09, 08:52
Also, the weekend after the May gunshow I bought locally a Del-Ton (made in NC) M4 for $799 including a 16" bull barrel (no M203 mount), hard case, 30-round magazine, and folding YHM metallic sights. Took it to my gunsmith to verify the chamber as a true 5.56, turned out to be a really good rifle for the price.

Killjoy
08-29-09, 08:57
In New England, things have been slowly returning to normal, with a lot more rifle inventory on the shelf. But prices here have never been particularly low, even at the best of times. None the "panic buyers" I've talked to have had any notion of selling off their rifles, as of yet, but we'll see about the long term. Ammunition, especially 5.56 ammo, has still been hard to find in quantity.

Luckily, I have an in with my department's supplier, so I haven't suffered through the recent drought. :p

A-Bear680
09-02-09, 08:23
This seems to be a big factor:

If you buy a set of golf clubs, and then fail to get out and play golf, do you try to dump them or just let them collect dust in the basement? I think there are a lot of ARs collecting dust in the back of the closet.

M_P
Some used stuff is surfacing , but the real action seems to be marked-down new DD's , Colts , and S&W's. It's a buyers market.

dbrowne1
09-02-09, 10:01
I haven't seen a big increase in "panic buy" guns for sale. I've seen a slight increase overall in used/consignment guns in general (including some nice Fudd guns) and a bigger increase in new inventory, at lower prices, due to manufacturers ramping up to meet the panic buy levels.

There seems to be a little "bulge" in the supply as the panic demand dropped but manufacturers were still running fast. Same thing with ammo.

FlyAndFight
09-02-09, 10:22
Increased supply has caught up with decreased demand.

threefeathers
09-02-09, 10:27
Not seeing a lot of selling, but buying has definately dropped off.

mark5pt56
09-02-09, 10:33
I can't say I see it with private buyers but I know certain shops are now overstocked and instead of trying to butt-ram people like they were a few months ago they've brought their prices back to "normal" and are now crying & whining that they have too much inventory.

I feel bad for them...NOT! :D

are you talking about the 499 pmc case and the same inventory went to 349 in a week?

E53001
09-02-09, 16:37
id have to say yes, theres is an abundance of bushys,Olys,RRA AR's being sold off at REDICULOUS prices in my area, (No, we dont have very many well informed people living in Oregon about AR's in my area) Its pretty much hippies,Bums,Rich people who dont touch guns and Hunters who arent into assualt rifle scene, the last gun shop i went to an employee there was trying to tell me how his Oly M4 was so much superior than a Colt M4, thats when i laughed at him and walked out

BigTime
09-02-09, 21:25
I bought 2 ar's when I felt like Obamo would win,way before the price jumped and before they were hard to find.Now with a vacation coming up?Guess what?

BillBond
09-03-09, 07:14
I have been buying some decent deals the last two months.
It is a buyers market now, maybe not as much as we would like,
but I have found some stuff lately at decent prices that I have been looking
for almost a year.

:cool:

kittyhawk
09-03-09, 10:15
Well here in Houston I am seeing lots of AR's going up for sale on TXguntrader.
I got 3 lowers in the last month all for under $125 hell I got a Sun Devil lower for $85, Also finding LPK starting to pop for sale also mostly DPMS but some Stag and RRA.
But my big deal was a 6920 last week for $1000 yes $1000 guy bought it and 5 mags and a case of PMC and then lost his job in june and wants to keep his BMW and live in a tiny appartment, got the mags and case of ammo for another $250.

So I think the panic is over and the selling is just starting. But I also think most Joe Blows went out and got what ever was on the shelf at the time not knowing what works and what dose not.

Dave

hammonje
09-03-09, 10:42
Tons of DPMS and Bushy AR-15s for sale on local gun boards in GA. I've given up on gun shows, but there are a terrific amount of lower quality AR-15s on the market for about $800. I expect these were the panic buyers. Who else would buy DPMS? I'm not one of those M4 chart Nazis, but the workmanship on those rifles suck!!!!!

You never see any high quality options on the market unless someone loses a job or medical bills??????? Plenty of RRA complete lowers to build from around here.....

FVC3
09-03-09, 11:26
Except for ammo, the panic buyers mostly didn't buy anything I'd want. I DID, however, sell one of them a 9 year old Bushy for enough to almost completely pay for my DD M4!!!! :D

hillmillenia
09-03-09, 14:31
All of my purchases are panic buys...as in I hope my wife don't find out. Besides I did all that way before the marxist was put in office.:rolleyes: