PDA

View Full Version : Vickers sling

averageshooter
08-28-09, 13:22
Anyone have any experience with this sling?

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79

It looks like a quality sling and I am in need of one. Just not sure what else is out there. I am looking for a 2point and this might fit the bill. Any info on them or other options in the sling category would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Sam
08-28-09, 13:23
Hmm, can't say that I have.

John_Wayne777
08-28-09, 13:38
The VCAS is my sling of choice. The quick adjust two point allows you the better security of a 2 point with some of the flexibility of the single point. Single points suck for a lot of applications because they provide almost no weapon security at all. When you run or climb a ladder or perform some similar vigorous activity it's like having a ~ 7 pound yo-yo tied to your neck. If you need to switch shoulders, however, the single point is awesome.

Similarly, the 2 point sling is better for all the movement stuff, but it sucks when it comes time to swap shoulders. The quick adjust feature on the VCAS lets you have more slack when you need it to switch shoulders or even use the carbine light in conjunction with a handgun.

3 point slings have the drawbacks of a 2 point plus extra bits of nylon that can snag on stuff or get in the way of the controls.

averageshooter
08-28-09, 13:40
Thanks for the replies. Those are the things I liked about the sling when I read about it. Plus for the price I guess if it doesn't work well its not too bad. Could probably sell it for most of the money back. I might have to try it. Would like more info as well from others that have used it. Any negative experiences with it? Or do the positives outweigh them?

Thanks

Matt

Rider79
08-28-09, 13:42
I run these on all my carbines, one thing though, go with the padded version, you'll be happier in the long run. The non-padded tends to cut into you after awhile. Half of mine are padded, the other half are unpadded.

ETA: Try this model:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=VCAS-200-AA&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBFGE

txdukklr
08-28-09, 13:44
i bet most guys have this sling.

I just bought two and candidly i like the non padded version better but both are very high quality and well worth it.

txdukklr
08-28-09, 13:46
i like the pad btw but the adjustability is better on the non pad in terms of the length of the sling.

averageshooter
08-28-09, 13:47
I didn't even know they made two versions of it. Will have to look at that more. How much of the sling is padded vs unpadded?

Matt

Sam
08-28-09, 13:48
Just messin' with you dude. I have several of these slings. You will see people chime in on their experiences. It's a great sling, get it and you'll throw away all other slings.

Check the video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXs_3jGejxs

Check out Larry Vickers too, seem like you're not familiar with this man.

www.vickerstactical.com

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/carbine-slings/

averageshooter
08-28-09, 13:57
No I am very familiar with who Larry Vickers is. Like the show actually :) Just wish I could see it more. Most of my shooting in the military was with the M24. My team was using M4s before the rest of my unit. Scouts vs line with 101st. And we all know the TOP quality slings you get in the military...

Here is a quick question off topic. My M&P seems to really chew up ammo. What I mean by that is if you load the rifle and eject the round it looks like the grooves from the barrel are scratched into the first 1/2 of the bullet. Seems like a lot of damage to me if you are trying for any type of accuracy. Any ideas on why? Does this barrel just need to be broke in a bit further or do you think the grooves are just not cut properly?

Thanks and back to topic.... Maybe..

Matt

Thomas M-4
08-28-09, 14:08
I have the VCAS with QD swivels in FDE. I like it works as advertised good quality easy to adjust. I use a DD rail mounted attachment point http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=slingmounts_railattachedslingmounts far forward on the hand guard rail and I use the opposite side QD attachment point on my magpul ctr buttstock.

The scratching on the bullet is normal it is from the locking lugs in the barrel extension.

C4IGrant
08-28-09, 14:21
Anyone have any experience with this sling?

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79

It looks like a quality sling and I am in need of one. Just not sure what else is out there. I am looking for a 2point and this might fit the bill. Any info on them or other options in the sling category would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

Never heard of it.

What is a "Vickers?"

:D

C4

averageshooter
08-28-09, 14:23
Glad to see there are a bunch of FUNNY GUYS on this forum :) Makes life much better.

DJK
08-28-09, 15:24
Glad to see there are a bunch of FUNNY GUYS on this forum :) Makes life much better.

Just wait until Larry gets on-line and reads this!!:D

chadbag
08-28-09, 15:26
Also check out the Victory sling. It is a budget Vickers that is a great bang for the buck. MSRP is around $35. Only comes in black, non padded. I have a special for $28 delivered on them now

Chad

C4IGrant
08-28-09, 15:26
Just wait until Larry gets on-line and reads this!!:D

LOL, ain't that the truth! Ass whoopin's all around!

C4

30 cal slut
08-28-09, 15:29
The VCAS is my sling of choice. The quick adjust two point allows you the better security of a 2 point with some of the flexibility of the single point. Single points suck for a lot of applications because they provide almost no weapon security at all. When you run or climb a ladder or perform some similar vigorous activity it's like having a ~ 7 pound yo-yo tied to your neck. If you need to switch shoulders, however, the single point is awesome.

Similarly, the 2 point sling is better for all the movement stuff, but it sucks when it comes time to swap shoulders. The quick adjust feature on the VCAS lets you have more slack when you need it to switch shoulders or even use the carbine light in conjunction with a handgun.

3 point slings have the drawbacks of a 2 point plus extra bits of nylon that can snag on stuff or get in the way of the controls.

To this I would add my $0.02 based on my own experiences:

1) two point slings suck when you are working in cars. here the single point sling shines.

2) .mil types tell me that two point adjustable slings such as the VCAS are very good for patrolling.

3) if you're going to get a 2 point adjustable sling like the VCAS, learning how to use it to switch shoulders will help you get the most out of it.

4) i have several VCAS slings and i love 'em.

Heavy Metal
08-28-09, 15:33
Larry who?

averageshooter
08-28-09, 15:36
Maybe he will send me a sling to TEST :D HAHA I think with all the wise ass comments along with a mix of helpful information I am going to like this sight. :p

rychencop
08-28-09, 15:38
i just got one a few weeks ago and love it. i had a blackhawk swift before and like the vickers more. the easy adjustment of the length is a great feature.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-28-09, 16:27
while not a vickers sling, I ran a similar VTAC sling from Viking Tactics during multiple rotations in Afg, absolutely awesome. The adjustable 2 pt sling pros and cons have been well articulated thus far in this thread and I think its a great compromise. I have personally not encountered any problems with the free running end snagging or getting in the way, I actually think it makes tightening the sling easier, and the new versions of the sling have a velcro tab to keep things from flapping around too much if that is a concern.

The adjustability comes in especially handy when you transition from walking around the fob w/o armor weapon slung in Amber to when you are slow and clumsy with your kit on.

That said, I'm going to give the magpul ms2 sling a look once I can get my hands on one...looks like it may offer a terrific compromise between 1 and 2 pt adjustable slings.

GU

thopkins22
08-28-09, 16:35
As has been said, I bet 7 out of 10 people on this forum(if not more) have at least one VCAS of some sort on a rifle. Exceptionally well made, well thought out, and easy enough for relatively inept people like myself to use competently.

Buy with the confidence that you'll be getting the best of breed.

averageshooter
08-28-09, 16:40
That said, I'm going to give the magpul ms2 sling a look once I can get my hands on one...looks like it may offer a terrific compromise between 1 and 2 pt adjustable slings.

GU

I will have to compare the two. Thanks

Matt

SkiDevil
08-28-09, 21:44
I have one on my Reece rifle. They are great slings. As someone already said, buy with confidence. I tried both and preferred the padded model.

SkiDevil

P.S. I'm fairly certain if you don't like the sling it should be easy enough to sell it. If its Black with the pad, let me know I'll take it off your hands.

kaiservontexas
08-28-09, 22:18
I have the 2 point padded with the quick detach swivels. All I can say is that sling is the best I have ever seen or touched let alone having on a rifle. Eventually I want to mod one of his slings for my AK.

Surf
08-29-09, 02:41
I have a box full of slings, but this is my favorite. Just a heads up, if you run full gear, as in a vest without a horse collar, the padded version loves to turn on edge and cut into your neck. 95% of my time is in gear and I much prefer the non padded.

YMMV.

RogerinTPA
08-29-09, 11:01
I own a few of those slings and a couple of the padded versions. After being heckled (Good natured ribbing) at a VTAC course for "having the wrong sling", I figured I'd give the VTAC a whirl, and bought a couple. Although it is a good sling, it was not as well built or efficient as the VCAS. The tail gets snagged on kit, it has two controls to manipulate, and the sling isn't wide enough for me, verse just having the one sling tab on the VCAS. After a month or so trying to get used to it, I ended up switching back to the padded version of the VCAS.

yallknowho
08-29-09, 11:04
the vickers sling is a slightly adjustable basic two point. I like the viking tactics sling better. It works not only as a sling but also as a tool to bring stability to your shooting platform. Get Kyle Lamb's book green eyes black rifles to see more about that.