PDA

View Full Version : Piston Operated

RELOADING74
02-08-07, 19:21
Has Anyone Had Any Experience With PISTON OPERATION In The Sig 556 Or Lwrc 6.8 In (any Model)? How Bout Reviews Or Info?

FJB
02-08-07, 23:18
I have shot several of the Lietner & Wise piston ARs and they all performed superbly. I have even shot their 6.8mm and shot extremely well also. You won't be disappointed if you purchase one.

S/F

TOrrock
02-08-07, 23:40
The SIG 55X series has been out here in the USA for almost 20 years, they're absolutely top of the line pieces of hardware.

Piston operation has been around longer than direct gas systems. After the M16, I know of only one other system to use the direct gas system, the Korean Daewoo MAX-1, or K1.

Everything else uses a gas piston.

RELOADING74
02-11-07, 16:28
Appreciate The Info. Just Can't Decide.... Seems Like The Sigs Are Quite A Ways Out On Order. Thanks

FJB
02-11-07, 18:34
Appreciate The Info. Just Can't Decide.... Seems Like The Sigs Are Quite A Ways Out On Order. Thanks

If your choice is between the two, IMHO the decision is easy. Get the Leitner & Wise.

S/F

lansker
02-11-07, 19:11
The SIG 55X series has been out here in the USA for almost 20 years, they're absolutely top of the line pieces of hardware.

Piston operation has been around longer than direct gas systems. After the M16, I know of only one other system to use the direct gas system, the Korean Daewoo MAX-1, or K1.

Everything else uses a gas piston.

Unless your meaning was only rifles produced/designed later than the M16, the MAS-49, MAS 49/56, AG-42 Ljungman, Hakim and Rasheed rifles all used a direct gas system.

Seth Harness
02-11-07, 19:39
both are as top of the line as your going to get and they're quality is excellent,
both are also proven platforms.
if the L&W rifle had quick change barrel and if the sig had multi caliber capability, they would almost be the same gun.
with that said I would go L&W 6.8 SRT. :cool:

Seth Harness
02-11-07, 19:43
both are as top of the line as your going to get and they're quality is excellent,
both are also proven platforms.
if the L&W rifle had quick change barrel and if the sig had multi caliber capability, they would almost be the same gun.
with that said I would go L&W 6.8 SRT. :cool:

Stephen_H
02-12-07, 08:10
My LWRC 6.8mm SRT review (http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9046084761/m/2421007752?r=2421007752#2421007752)

ashooter
02-13-07, 18:47
Not everybody has had great luck with LWRC carbines. I sold mine and went back to all direct impingement guns. However, I will say that if you stick with a chrome-lined barrel and do not use a suppressor, it will probably work as good as any direct impingment gun.

Contrary to what you might hear or think, it will not work better than a GOOD direct impingment gun. LWRC SBR's might have a slight edge, but in my opinion that piston is a waste of money for 99% of the shooters out there.

GastonG-NoVa
02-13-07, 19:55
Not to spread the LW hate, but I had access to a LW gun and we couldn't get it to run more than 30 rounds without a double feed.

Sent it back to them and same problem.

I was using my 10.5 and 14.5 inch LMT guns with the same ammo and the same mags and they ran fine.

I am planning on getting two Sigs....one long and one short!!!!

G

ashooter
02-14-07, 09:37
My experience basically comes down to THAT piston system extracting earlier in the firing cycle. I got a LOT of fte's, extractor cutting through the case rim, etc. When you use a 10.5" chrome-lined barrel and NATO chamber with the LW system, it seems to run fine... probably better than an equivalent direct impingement gun. Add barrel length, stainless steel, tighter throat, suppressor, etc, and you end up with something that gets dirty faster than a direct impingement gun and is more sensitive to a dirty chamber. Or at least I did.

That's what I get for wanting to be the first kid on the block with HipFiredGun's newest and bestest :rolleyes: