PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - and new S&W M&P15T inbound!

Deaj
08-28-09, 23:59
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum though I have been reading topics here occasionally while researching. I sold my last AR (a pre-ban Colt A2 HBAR) back in 1988 and have regretted doing so ever since. I'm in a financial position to be able to aquire another AR and I've been trying to decide what to go with. After some research and shopping I decided to go with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Tactiacal. I found one for $1150 out of state, $1210 with shipping & FFL transfer fee - that equates to a local purchase price of $1100 and sales tax. S/N is in the SM68xxx range and it left the factory in July, 2009 (no issues with the current M&P's that I've been able to find - seems like they worked the bugs out early). From what I've read here and on other forums it seemed like a good deal. It should arrive next Tuesday. Pretty excited!

Scoby
08-29-09, 06:19
Deaj -

New here myself and this is actually my first post. Compared to the $1,400 I paid for my MP15T this week seems you made a bargain. This is my first AR and I've only been able to put about 30 rounds through the gun and so far so good. Still have alot to learn though but what I have learned, I learned it here.
Shopping for optics now and man it seems the choices are endless.

Scoby

SiGfever
08-29-09, 09:26
Deaj -

New here myself and this is actually my first post. Compared to the $1,400 I paid for my MP15T this week seems you made a bargain. This is my first AR and I've only been able to put about 30 rounds through the gun and so far so good. Still have alot to learn though but what I have learned, I learned it here.
Shopping for optics now and man it seems the choices are endless.

Scoby

Do yourself a favor and take the time to learn your irons and weapon before purchasing optics. Also break the rifle in with 200-500 rounds of some good brass before shooting any steel in the weapon. JMO

yallknowho
08-29-09, 19:52
better yet, take a class with the irons before you get an optic.

Scoby
08-29-09, 22:37
Know how to shoot. Been doing it for 35 yrs and alot with open sights in years past. This is just my first AR. Unfortunatly, these fifty year old eyes just aren't what they used to be....... Among other things....... Basically, my eyesight stinks and yeah, I do wear glasses.

My wife and I live on 100 acres and I have the room to shoot out to 500 yards and do on ocasion with my scoped deer rifles. Quite the challenge.
Really got no problem with open sights within say 50 yards after that I'm needing me an optic with a little magnification.

You guys got any suggestions for me?

Didn't mean to highjack your thread Deaj. Sorry.

Scoby

poak
08-30-09, 09:56

If you've got the extra scratch laying around, check out Trijicon's line of ACOGs.

A-Bear680
08-30-09, 10:05
.....( Snip for brevity)........
I'm needing me an optic with a little magnification.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread Deaj. Sorry.

Scoby

Run a search for Aimpoint C3 and see if that & a cantilever mount might be half of the answer. If you can find a LaRue Po'Boy 2.5X magnifier , that might be the other half. A regular Aimpoint magnifer is 3X and fancier but pricey.
We have his & her's C3/Po'Boy set-ups and are happy with them. The Po'Boys come off unless we expect to actually be using them & also can be swung out of the way when mounted.

JSGlock34
08-30-09, 10:12
One shooter in our group runs a Trijicon TA33-8 compact ACOG in a LaRue QD mount on her S&W 15T to good effect. It's a neat little optic - 3X power. I like the ACOGs and owned a 4X TA-31F for a while.

Deaj
08-31-09, 03:57
Thanks for the welcome. :)

My M&P15T is due to arrive tomorrow, a day earlier than expected. That should add a little happy to Monday. [:)]

I also ordered up a few extras - not needed at this time but they were easy enough on the wallet to justify.

I have a couple of extra ladder style rail covers coming so that I can keep the unused rails protected. I rather liked the feel of these low profile covers.

I ordered up a Magpul PMAG. The M&P only comes with one magazine. This is likely more than sufficient for the type of shooting I plan to use this AR for in the short term it's always good to have a spare magazine on hand.

I also ordered a vertical front grip. Nothing special - it's a CAA BVG. I wasn't going to even bother with a vertical front grip as I'm comfortable using the foregrip to steady this type of rifle. I have never tried to use a vertical grip and thought it might be interesting to see if it's something I would make use of. The CAA was only $19 and it's warranteed for life. Cheap enough that I won't miss the $$ if I decide to go with something nicer in the future.

Finally, I ordered up one of these: Primary Arms M4 style red dot optic (http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=5) (reviewed very well by some AR15.com forum members (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=124&t=447314)). While there's an overwhelming majority that says 'buy quality, buy once' I'm merely interested in finding out if this type of optic would be useful for me. Again, between the price and the very positive reviews it seemed like a good option. Time will tell.

I plan on adding a tactical light and rail mount at some point in the near future. I'll wait until I have decided whether or not I'll use the vertical grip as this will affect how and where the light will be mounted.

I'll post pics tomorrow or Tuesday!

Deaj
08-31-09, 22:27
New hardware in the house! :)

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/mp15t_first_pic.jpg

I won't be able to get to the range for another two weeks... it's going to be a slooow two weeks :(

Icculus
08-31-09, 23:29
I won't be able to get to the range for another two weeks... it's going to be a slooow two weeks :(

Yup. The next 2 weeks are going to eat you up. Nice rifle and definitely enjoy.

Deaj
08-31-09, 23:51
So far I'm very pleased with it! I cleaned and lubed it this evening so it's ready to go to the range. I'm going to try to get to the range this weekend if at all possible (busy weekend, not going to be easy).

The trigger on this particular gun is much better than I'd expected. The other M&P15's I've handled to date have had a serviceable trigger with a fair amount of creep and a perceived increase in weight before the trigger breaks (stacking?) - not much different than by brother-in-law's DPMS or the Colts my dad and I owned way back when. This one exhibits a little creep (very little) and weight seems to be consistent. It's a crisp break, very consistent / predictable. Assuming it's as accurate as indicated in the various M&P15 reviews to date this will make a better target gun than my Colt was. I really like the trigger!

Mine didn't come with the 3 handguard rail covers pictured with the M&P15T on S&W's site and other marketing material. Rather it came with 3 ladder style rail protectors. I'll be calling S&W tomorrow to see if they have any of the handguards. No big deal if not - the ladder protectors and rail system work well as a forearm stock. The magazine that shipped with mine is a Magpul PMAG - nice! I have another 3 PMAG's on the way, 4 should be plenty.

It did not come with a sling mount other than the one on the collapsible stock. I'll inquire about this with S&W tomorrow as well. No hurry on my part as I haven't decided whether or not I'll install a sling or what type I might use. It would be nice to have the option out of the box though.

The upper/lower receiver fit is pretty tight with just a hint of play. The fit is about the same as I remember with my A2 HBAR - feels just right to me.

The finish on the receivers is the nicest I've seen on any AR - fine and smooth, no tooling marks visible anywhere.

I'm definitely one happy camper at this moment! Can't wait to shoot it!

Deaj
09-01-09, 21:23
Spent some time this evening dry fire practicing, familiarizing myself with the trigger. As stated above it's definitely nicer than any standard AR trigger I've used in the past. After working with the trigger for a while this evening I find there's a bit more creep than I'd first noticed. It's still very minor and the trigger breaks consistently / predictably. It should make target shooting enjoyable!

Scoby
09-01-09, 22:12
Deaj - I really like my MP 15 as well. Trigger is good, not great, but better than I expected. Got about 150 rds thru it now. Getting 1 - 1 1/2 in groups with the open sites at 40 yds. Thats surpising given my eyesight.

One thing that I think I'm going to change is the colaspable stock. Man that thing rattles and wobbles like a cage. Does your's do this?
Really don't like it but it will have to wait. Still deciding on an optic.

Scoby

Deaj
09-01-09, 23:20
Deaj - I really like my MP 15 as well. Trigger is good, not great, but better than I expected. Got about 150 rds thru it now. Getting 1 - 1 1/2 in groups with the open sites at 40 yds. Thats surpising given my eyesight.

One thing that I think I'm going to change is the colaspable stock. Man that thing rattles and wobbles like a cage. Does your's do this?
Really don't like it but it will have to wait. Still deciding on an optic.

Scoby

The collapsible stock is loose fitting on my M&P as well. I eventually plan on replacing it with a Magpul CTR but I'm in no rush. Optics, VFG, and a decent carrying case are first on the list.

Deaj
09-02-09, 22:00
Couple new pics with Primary Arms M4 red dot installed:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T-01.jpg

Scoby
09-03-09, 08:30
That's sweet.
Let us all know how you like that optic.

Scoby

gman622
09-03-09, 09:33
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum though I have been reading topics here occasionally while researching. I sold my last AR (a pre-ban Colt A2 HBAR) back in 1988 and have regretted doing so ever since. I'm in a financial position to be able to aquire another AR and I've been trying to decide what to go with. After some research and shopping I decided to go with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Tactiacal. I found one for $1150 out of state, $1210 with shipping & FFL transfer fee - that equates to a local purchase price of $1100 and sales tax. S/N is in the SM68xxx range and it left the factory in July, 2009 (no issues with the current M&P's that I've been able to find - seems like they worked the bugs out early). From what I've read here and on other forums it seemed like a good deal. It should arrive next Tuesday. Pretty excited!

Hello Deaj! How do you decipher the serial # to determine manufacture date?

Deaj
09-03-09, 10:02
That's sweet.
Let us all know how you like that optic.

Scoby

Will do. Range day Saturday so I should have something to post this weekend.

Deaj
09-03-09, 10:03
Hello Deaj! How do you decipher the serial # to determine manufacture date?

I called S&W customer service :D

Deaj
09-03-09, 21:46
Added a vertical grip and some additional rail protectors:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T_grip_01.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/15T_grip_02.jpg

Deaj
09-03-09, 21:54
Here's a few shots through the M4 sight:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M4-eyepiece.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M4_reticle_03.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M4-reticle-1.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M4-reticle-2.jpg

There's also a 2 MOA dot reticle (not pictured)

Deaj
09-05-09, 16:30
We (my boy, my wife, an I ) just returned home from the range. The 15 and 25 yard ranges were deserted. Everyone's zero'ing their hunting rifles this weekend so it was difficult to get a slot at 50 or 100 yards. We grabbed a slot at 100 yards just before we left and ran the first 100 rounds through the M&P. The iron sites are just a little off - about 3 inches high and 2 inches left at 100 yards. The red dot will require a bit more adjustment - it's about 9 inches low and 2.5 inches left at 100 yards. All three of us showed very consistent results with all shots placed within a 4 inch group in the same area high and left as described above. I'll have a spotting scope with me next trip out and dial the irons and red dot in. This was mostly a functional test and a dent in the break-in. 100 rounds won't tell you too much but, as expected, there were no failures of any kind. Very pleased so far!

Scoby
09-06-09, 11:16
I'm pleased with mine as well.
Think you're gonna like that optic?
I noticed from the photos that apparently you can change the recticle. Is that right? If so how do you go about doing that?

Scoby

Deaj
09-06-09, 14:24
I'm pleased with mine as well.
Think you're gonna like that optic?
I noticed from the photos that apparently you can change the recticle. Is that right? If so how do you go about doing that?

Scoby

Hi Scoby,

I like the sight a lot. Time and use will tell if it'll hold up but the feedback from users over at AR15.com have been pleased so far with build quality and function.

There's a selector on the left side of the optic - turn it to select reticles.