PDA

View Full Version : Cut Down SBR Barrels

Reddevil
08-29-09, 19:06
I have a Colt 6920 that I'm registering as an SBR. I was wondering how reliable my upper would be if I had ADCO cut it down to 11.5" and open the gas port if needed? Has anyone else done this and had great results? I'm not questioning ADCO's work, but I would like to know if buying a stock BCM 11.5" upper would be more reliable? I don't want to end up with something that's going to be finicky when I could've just bought a reliable factory upper from BCM.

LonghunterCO
08-29-09, 20:12
Did this with a light weight Colt barrel, with ADCO, but down to 12.5". Had them do their cut down for a silencer, as such the barrel as I received it wa not 100% reliable with wally world green box remmy (under powered) but was 100% with xm193 (I do not have the can yet). Email them and they said that since I had asked for it to be setup for a can they had not opend up the port as much as someone that was only looking for a SBR. They then offered to open the port up for me at no charge if I was not happy. They did mention that their experience was that as the barrel was shot-in more that I would, more than likely, see it start running with the under powered stuff too. I told them that I was Ok with it as is and continued to run it. After about 200-300 rounds (what I consider the normal break-in period) it is now running 100%.
Since I asked for it to be setup for a silencer and they had set it up that way, I did not think that they had to offer to make it right, but they did so without any asking on my part. I think that says something about them.

In a actions speak louder that words statement: What do I think of ADCO? I have since used them to thread my KAC SR-25 for a AAC SCAR-H

Use them with confidence.

Reddevil
08-29-09, 20:56
I have no question as to ADCO's work. I actually had them cut down my 6920 barrel in question to 14.5" and they did a fantastic job. My only concern is if cut down barrels will be as reliable as factory barrels when you get down to the shorter lengths?

LonghunterCO
08-29-09, 21:18
I would say so. Like I say mine is 100% now. I have no doubt that if I would have said make it run with Wolf or better ammo that it would have been 100% from the beginning.

LOKNLOD
08-29-09, 21:31
If it's cut correctly, and the gas port is opened to the correct size, it is for all purposes no different than a factory SBR barrel.

For the money, you're probably better off buying a new upper and selling the 6920 upper. Unless it's a brand new rifle, why bother dumping money into modifying the barrel that already has a part of its life used?