PDA

View Full Version : tactical tailor

trappernana
08-30-09, 12:25
I'm interested in their Modular Panel Carrier. Does anyone use one, and what do you think of it. It looks alittle "light weight" Thanks

Dave L.
08-30-09, 12:30
Post a link to the product you are interested in. It helps us help you.

trappernana
08-30-09, 14:27
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/modularpanelcarrier.aspx Thanks to my daughter I got this on here. I'm still new to this computer stuff.:(

Iraq Ninja
08-30-09, 14:43
I think it is only made to hold soft armor and the trauma plate in the front only.

Not the most common setup we see these days, probably because most people who go for a tactical carrier use front and rear ballistic plates.

What exactly are your requirements?

TT makes good kit, but this piece is old school tactical. I really can't think of any situation that this vest would be the best option.

TimW
08-31-09, 01:00
I don't believe it holds any plates at all...just the concealable panels.

JC5611
08-31-09, 10:30
I have one and used to use it to carry my soft panels. I've since upgraded to their Hybrid Enhanced Vest. The previous posters are correct, it only holds soft armor, there is no ability to hold plates in the modular panel carrier.

It was built very well and held up to abuse. The panels fit snug in the carrier with no movement and it was very easy to adjust.

The one issue I had with it, is that it is a two piece carrier. The front and rear panels are totally separate and held together by the shoulder straps. This allowed the carrier to move a bit and potentially sag a bit in the front or ride up your back....not enough where I would dump the carrier. The other issue I had (and again, not a huge deal) was that it has no velcro on the sides, but the fastec buckles. They are solid, but if the carrier moved up or down, the sides could shift and bunch up a bit. I called TT about the issue and they let me know that I could use their IBA side pieces to make sure everything snugged up better...

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ibasidesapiplatecarrier.aspx

All in all I was happy with it and it held up well. There is another guy that I work with that is currently using it since I switched to a new carrier.

Hope this helps.

JC

daddyusmaximus
08-31-09, 11:23
What exactly are your requirements?

TT makes good kit,

Iraq Ninja's right, TT makes good kit. And also the first thing you need to decide is your requirements. The gear must match your needs and expected mission requirements, or you will not be happy/may not come home. Of course, often you can adjust your tactics to meet your available equipment as well.

Most of the "plate carriers" are listed as just that. Depends on the level of protection you want, and how much mobility are you willing to sacrifice for more protection, and of course, what you can afford to invest. Many skimp here (body armor) but your life is usually a good investment.

In my younger days i deployed without body armor. My last trip over ('04) we were issued the Point Blank Interceptor, a good system, but heavy. I once climbed up in a deuce for ride from tent city to the motor pool, and told a young (younger by 20 years) E-4 to "Hand me my vest". He couldn't. With a double basic load of ammo, 2 canteens, a Camelbak, 1st aid, radio, compass, knife, Gerber multi-tool, small binos, K-pot strapped to it... bla bla partridge in a pear tree, my vest was damn near as heavy as some of my troops. (At 6'1" 250, old sarge had to start out with an XL vest anyway) Yes PT could have fixed that to a degree, but I share this story because of this...

I was only in one serious firefight that whole year. NEVER needed ballistic protection. Then, I got blowed-up. (Degenerative Disc Disease, Traumatic Brain Injury) Vest & K-pot didn't help. I walk with a cane now, and if I had to go tactical, would carry a much lighter load. (ammo & water only, I ALWAYS have a knife and flashlight)

If you are buying... with your own hard earned $$... (as opposed to being issued) they you must answer that all important "What exactly are your requirements?" that Ninja spoke of. Your own personal equipment needs to meet your expected requirements, now and in the future.

Why do you buy? In case things go bad? Looks like they just might, and if they do finding good gear could get real hard, and real expensive, real fast. Shop around. Go places you can try on for comfort and fit. Try different systems. Buy if you truly must, then keep what fits your needs, sell the rest.

Get something adaptable, and well made.

trappernana
08-31-09, 11:34
Thanks so much for the advise. The "Hybrid Enhanced" looks like what I need.I have a tendancy to "leap before I look" All of my gear is now is just "personal" gear. I don't have to meet any Dept. specs. Thanks for helping !!!;)