PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a first bolt action

andy t
02-08-07, 23:09
I am considering getting my first precision bolt action. Based on what I read on this board and in "Ultimate Sniper" I am thinking of either getting a Savage 10FP with choate stock or a Remington 700 series.
I am thinking 0.308 caliber.
However, I was at a local store today, when I saw a FN Patrol rifle in 0.308, like new condition, with Leupold Vari X 3.5-10 X 50 for $1180. Does this look like a
good deal?

What would be a good choice for beginner?
Of the three choices, is one superior to another, or is it like picking between a Ford and a Chevy?

Thanks,

Andrew

Striker5
02-09-07, 06:19
That sounds like a good deal on the FN.

My bolt gun is a Rem 700 LTR. If you get one, check to make sure the holes for the scope mount screws are centered.

I like my rifle, but part of me wishes I had just stuck w/ my KISS Wal-Mart 700 ADL 30-06. It was lighter and you can do some good work with a solid rifle and a really good scope.

It depends on what you want to do with it.

adobewalls
02-09-07, 07:23
The 10FP is a sound choice, but if you can get the FN all the better. A word on Choate stocks, some like them, some don't. They seem to work well off a bench, but they can be a bit less convenient if your a run and gun sort.

Mac679
02-09-07, 10:56
I'd go with a 700. It's a good base rifle to learn, and as you progress you can customize it to what you want-making the rifle grow with you.

Peacekeeper1408
02-09-07, 16:52
I vote for a Remington 700 PSS for a basic entry level rifle. If you look around, you can probably find one for $700-$800.

Boomer10
02-09-07, 16:54
Here's my 2 cents...

I started out with a Savage 10FP that I bought from my father. That gun is capable of shooting much better groups than I am. It's a 20" bull barrel in the original stock. I've thought of replacing the stock due to the amount that it flexes, but I haven't found any stock that I'm completely sold on (this includes Choate).

In the last year I bought a Rem. 700P but have not shot it yet since I haven't bought a scope for it yet (having other priorities sometimes suck:D ).

Overall, I am highly impressed with my Savage 10FP and plan on keeping it for quite a while. I would also recommend them to anyone looking for a good quality rifle. Yes, there are other manufacturers out there that make better rifles, but for the price of a Savage they can't be beat for an entry level shooter.

madryan
02-10-07, 13:13
If you like to tinker with stuff and have the money to play buy a 700. If you want to buy something that shoots really well right out of the box and never mess with it then get a savage with the stock you want.

Zak Smith
02-10-07, 21:35
http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

Glockster35
02-13-07, 15:34
I'm going to give the Savage Arms 10Fp one more plug. For the price, it cannot be beat, mine shoots way better than I do.

For the cost of the FN (I assume without scope), you can probably get the Savage, a nice scope, bipod and a replacement stock!

I have been happy with mine for the last 7 years or so!

andy t
02-13-07, 20:29
Thanks to all for your replies.
Glockster, the price is for the rifle, with the scope and rings, which makes it an attractive package.
I also tried Savage 10FP LE2B in McMillan stock and really like it. The price for it is $800 for a brand new.
Is McMillan considered to be a much better stock than FN's Hogue stock?

Thanks.

Voodoochild
02-13-07, 20:39
Be like zak and get nice ass AI sticks (lucky bastard). Only thing stopping me from diving into the precision world is cost of ammo. I barely shoot my 5.56 sticks as it is.

andy t
02-13-07, 22:11
Voodoo,

Unfortunately your suggestion is not teneable for near future :).
I do hear you about the cost of ammo...I may have to get into reloading to be able to shoot the rifle frequently enough.

Glockster35
02-13-07, 22:45
Yes, the McMillan is the cats ass...the FN sounds like a good deal, but I don't have any experience with it!

Voodoochild
02-14-07, 11:37
Voodoo,

Unfortunately your suggestion is not teneable for near future :).
I do hear you about the cost of ammo...I may have to get into reloading to be able to shoot the rifle frequently enough.

I was just messing with you man. Yeah I need to get into reloading as well it will save me from crying every time I go to shoot. It has gotten to the point where I debate whether or not I need to go shoot.

hireforfire
02-26-07, 10:23
I have run 700 for a while now and have gotten good accuracy out of every one I have had. The people I know that shoot savages all like them too it is all a matter of preference and pocket book, but if you are going to build up a gun in the future a 700 is the way to go. That being said you do have to buy good rings and a good base for them and that adds alot to the cost about $300 and then a scope which for a beginer a super sniper would probably be a good pick because of cost and quality.

The FN could be a good pickup, they are also good guns but watch what scope and rings are on it I have seen many a high dollar rifle with substandard rings and bases, I have had bad luck with Leopold scopes like that so make sure to check where the rings and the scope meet that the tube is not crushed, Leopold will not warranty it for free and I had a peice that someone did it to and it cost me.

TUNNEL RAT 33
02-26-07, 15:41
look at the savage 10fp sniper package . rifle comes with pelican case leupold mark iv , bipod . think i paid about 1,900 for mine . its a tack driver ! best of all it has an adjustable trigger. check out their web site for more info

Sonic Crack
02-26-07, 21:07
I love my 700's VLS in .223 with a Burris signature electro dot 6-24x40 and a VS in .308 with a Springfield Armory Gov Model 6-20x56 mil dot. wouldnt trade or sell them for anything. The only thing Ive had done is had the trigger pull lightened

usmcgrunt
02-26-07, 22:04
Remington 700! If its good enough for the USMC its good enough for me! Plus there are alot of add ons and easy to get you hands on parts as well! Good Luck!

Grunt Out!

macman37
03-31-07, 10:59
I'm also in the beginning phases of researching and choosing a good bolt gun myself. I have "The Ultimate Sniper" book as well but have not been able to read it yet.

GREAT link by Zak Smith, thanks for that.

bones
04-06-07, 12:52
Thank you very much for the article Zak !

nationwide
04-06-07, 19:19
I would rate the obvious choices as:

First: Remington 700... It's the numba one action out there, and because of that, you can grow your rifle with accessories and performance tuning as your marksmanship grows.

Second: Savage FP... EZ swap barrels, plenty of accessories, known for accuracy out of the box.

Third: FN PBR. I owned one, and it's a fine rifle. Easy to adjust weight of trigger pull. Factory stock sucks (Hogue overmolded crud)

Note I did not rate any rifle as "last". They are all good to go, I just think the Remington action is "better" to go. ;)

Rock-N-Ruin
05-02-07, 18:21
I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned a Winchester Mod 70...

I had the Mod 70 Shadow w/HS-precision stock, .920 barrel, Harris bi-pod and a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 40 LETAC 1/4 MOA mil dot.. If I did my part, it consistantly shot 3 round goups under .400 @ 100yrds. with a lot of differen't home made match loads tested and setting the ogive about 10 thou. or less from the lands and grooves... I finally developed one load that the rifle really liked....

This rifle I regret selling.. but as said in another thread I have ordered a Rem 700 PSS with factory detachable mag.. J.

graffex
05-02-07, 20:03
What options does the left-handed shooter have for there first precision rifle?

Glockster35
05-03-07, 17:20
Savage Arms makes almost all of their rifles in left handed versions also!

05-05-07, 19:40
When I started shooting precision rifles I went with Savage because they have a reputation of shooting incredibly tight groups right out of the box. I started with .223 Cal. because I had plenty of bulk ammo available and was having it reloaded for my AR-15 already. It was a cheaper way to get started and I’m not sorry I went that route. When it was time to upgrade to a .308 Cal. I had a great scope, bipod, and other equipment to almost seamlessly slide into the larger caliber.