PDA

View Full Version : Status of Strider Knives?

TREE
02-08-07, 23:25
I don't keep up on knife news much so excuse me if this has been beaten to death. Can someone clarify the status of Strider and what went on between Strider Knives and TAG Gear? I was directed to this thread http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000555a while ago, and reading the praise of Strider in another thread here brought it back.

A knife like that is an investment and I'd like to know who I've invested with. Anyone here have the no-nonsense news?

Dave L.
02-09-07, 01:13
Man, I did not know that stuff about him...here I thought he was an ex-marine.
Regardless he may be a liar but his knives are sweet and he is a patriot giving a military discount that saved me $70!
Just remember you are not buying the man...just his tools. Besides, maybe as an felon I didn't think people would be willing to pay for his art.

I have met Chris Osmond- and I could say a few things about his negative business practices also.

baffle Stack
02-09-07, 02:12
deleted

nyeti
02-09-07, 03:07
Mick Strider is one of my closest friends. To put that in perspective, I have been a full time cop for 19 years, and my list of friends with a felony conviction is exactly 1-Mick Strider. Mick is one of the few people who I allow around my kid. Mick did in fact serve with the Army Rangers. He has the DD214 to prove it, numerous Rangers who served with him, and it seems that the Ranger community has no issue with his claims-just a bunch of guys like Kevin McClung, Lance Harris, and Lynn Thompson who have never served in any L/E or Military capacity, yet feel the need to "out" those who did. Its called envy and regret. Did Mick do other "stuff" after seperation from the military due to an injury-yes. Some positive, some negative. There is often more to many stories, and this is one of them. In the many years I have known Mick, I have never heard him make a single public claim of anything other than his Army service and Ranger background.

Many folks confuse Mick with Duane Dwyer, the co-owner of Strider knives. He is a confirmed former USMC Scout/Sniper (he has also been accused of being a fake and felon by the same crowd, I guess they always allow fakes to give speeches at S/S graduations). Duane is also a reserve Police Officer and serves on a SRT unit (we always give ex-felons badges). He also has experience outside of normal military service. Duane does far more shows and appearances than Mick. He is actually the one most have seen or spoken to at events, and he is very proud of his USMC background and loves to talk. The guy at the table drinking beer and claiming to be a marine Sniper is in fact Duane and not Mick for all the internet know it alls.

I am going to be running Strider's L/E division, which should also make me a fraud, felon, and wannabe as well.

Chris Osmand............seems to have some issues of his own, and I'll leave it at that.

I always find it amusing in this whole thing that these "posers" are genuine rock stars within the military special operations community, yet a bunch of civilians and internet heroes are the ones throwing the most stones. I have been to several events within the most elite warrior communities in this country and seen with my own eyes the admiration and praise given to both Mick and Duane. Not because they make great war tools, its because of the other things they have done to support the military and L/E community that is never talked about or advertised.

I am the one who wrote the article about Strider and their SOCOM connection. It was in error that it was actually JSOC (which later became a SOCOM asset as I understand it). I can accept that I am not perfect, but it is sort of insane to hammer Mick and Duane for a mistake I made in a 7 year old article in a annual gun rag. Anyone who knows Mick knows that he is very quiet, is not a braggert, is proud of the time he spent as a Ranger, and isn't proud of his mistakes. The guy makes a great product. Their knives are 100% made in the USA with domestic materials. They go out of their way to service the military and L/E community as their #1 priority, and run a business with several veterans employed in key positions. If that isn't good enough to compete with the internet envy and whining crap, then I highly suggest getting a knife from one of the "knife fighter", former CIA (yeah right) Action Jacksons that are trying to save us all from Mick.

DocGKR
02-09-07, 03:37
Although we have spoken on the telephone several times, I do not know Mick personally, so I cannot directly vouch for him like NYETI can. On the other hand, I do know Duane from visits to SOTG, Range 130, Camp Pendleton; as NYETI states, Duane is a former Marine and current LE officer with impeccable credentials. Strider makes durable, reliable gear that works well for hard-use military and LE duties. You can purchase and use Striders without any concerns...

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 05:45
Once more the errornet is full of conjecture, suppositions, myths and lies, jumping to non existent conclusions and with- like all legends, some truth thrown in.

FWIW, i have known Mick and Duane for a long time, and when they were making a few knives a month in the back of a storefront in Oceanside. From my very first meeting with them at Longboards, they were open about everything and held back nothing, leaving it to me to make decisions.

I have first hand knowledge about what Mick and Duane have done for the user community- the real users. They have donated a tremendous amount of time, money and product to ensure that real guys who have fallen have been honored appropriately and that guys going out to fight the war that most only have nocturnal emissions about when they do dress up role play in the privacy of their domicile.
As examples of the former, the Strider guys provided spectacularly done memorial knives/ shadow boxed for the Marines and Sailor of 1st Force killed in a helo crash in 1999. They wanted no mention of this then or now, but it is remembered by the families and the Company.
Or the extraordinarily well done plaque given to the men of my Brother's Company, Squad 1, whose members were all killed by islamofacists on a beautiful Tuesday morning five years ago. The men of the Squad have stated that this is the one gift that they received that stands out from all others.
Or the fact that Strider donates knives to the Sniper School Graduates as well as selected Rangers. Funny how neither the Marine Corps or Rangers- two groups of very tough hombres -have any problems, but do nothing neverbe's can make criticisms. I guess maybe you would have to be recruited by the CIA at age 5 to really understand the why's and wherefore's of that.
Yup, Mick made horrible mistakes. He has admitted that and moved on. Duane is a reserve cop and SRT member and cotinues to add community service to his list of accomplishments.
Grant has been asking Strider to allow him to carry their knive for years. Duane called me up a few months ago and asked me if i would recommend Grant. I did, and that is apparently happening.
So, are you going to stop buying from G&R? Stop posting here?

The disinformation cowpath means that everyone has opinions. Often these opinions mean that people shoot from the lip rather then make informed decisions.
The erronet has been described where a place where people who have nothing to say, say it anyway.
Sooooo true.
I have many acquaintences and fewer friends. Mick and Duane are friends.

rob_s
02-09-07, 07:03
I suspect that us "little people" will never know the truth of any of this, and I as one little person don't care. I picked up my first Strider (a model DB) at SHOT and am very impressed with it. I buy products, not the person, and don't really care about any of the drama behind the scenes.

With that said, it is always unfortunate to see business owners that can't just zip it on the web. It's no secret that I've had my fair share of bannings for speaking my mind on the internet, but if I were running a business that was tied to my "internet persona" and my livelihood depended on it, you can bet your ass I'd bite my "tongue". Paul Leitner-Wise, Dick Swan of ARMS, some of the AAC guys, and others spring to mind as people who's internet actions have only served to hurt their business. It is unfortunate that this whole Strider/TAG drama appears to stem from neither camp being able to restrain themselves on the internet.

I find the Gem Tech crowd to be an especially welcome breath of fresh air in the way that they conduct themselves on the web. Despite being bashed on more than one occasion by owners and employees of other companies, they still hold their head up and rise above it. Even when attacked and provoked, they prove to be the bigger men time and time again.

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 07:44
You might note that the DB is named for Moderator Nyeti. It is also one of my favorite knives.
FWIW, the DB-L is part of the USMC IAK, and one of several Stider products with NSN's..

Erick Gelhaus
02-09-07, 10:07
Nyeti-
A LE line? Do share info.

Erick

Mac679
02-09-07, 11:35
I don't have as diverse a professional portfolio as Pat Rogers, DocGKR, or nyeti. I am only a paratrooper and Non Commissioned Officer in the US Army looking at my 4th deployment in 6 years. I do not know, nor have I ever even met, spoke with, etc., Mick or Duane. What I do know is that they put out a superior product that I trust my life to. Two men who I have had the opportunity to train with and pass along the skills they taught me to my paratroopers, speak quite highly of Strider knives. One of them, Pat Rogers, has already made his thoughts known in this thread. The other is Paul Howe. I'd be willing to bet that neither of these men, given their backgrounds and clientele, would recommend a substandard product. I have no issues with recommending Strider knives to my soldiers. I want them to have a tool that will not fail them when they need it.
As someone else said, you're buying the tool, not the man. He paid his debt to society.

Now my only issue with Strider knives, loose one and you'll find one way a man can go into post partum depression. :(

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 11:44
Airborne Mac!

Aubrey
02-09-07, 12:48
...I buy products, not the person, and don't really care about any of the drama behind the scenes...

The older I get, the more it really matters to me where the products I buy come from, who made them, and what they stand for. I choose to support those that design and manufacture the good gear. I choose not to subsidize those who would copy others designs and market them as their own. I choose not to subsidize those who would do harm to others families by using the errornet to spread lies about them and by dragging up old debts that have been paid. I choose to support those that are patriots and supporters of noble causes, not those whose focus is so skewed by envy that they invest all of their energy into spreading untruths.

The Internet is a very powerful thing. It can be used for good (spreading the truth) or evil (spreading untruths). It is used 24/7 for both. Many are blind to the truth for whatever reason and will never see it. In my constant quest for the truth I am very careful regarding who I trust. Nyeti, DocGKR, and Pat Rogers are three guys at the very top of my list when it comes to experts about gear that works (or not) and those that make it. If those three guys say that Mick Strider is a guy I can trust, despite the fact that he (like me) has made mistakes in his past, then that's good enough for me. I've never met Mick, or Duane Dwyer, or Kevin McClung, but the Internet and the SMEs that I trust have given me some insight into which are men of integrity. Likewise, I have never met the owners of Cold Steal or Maxpudition, but because of their involvement in all of this, and because those I trust have been vocal about them, I have formed an opinion of them.

The world is really very small. We are all here in this life only a short time. I believe that what I do in relation to others matters; it matters in the way it affects others, and it matters in the example I set for my family and those I have influence over. I choose to vote at the polls and vote with my wallet.

Oh, and if Osama bin Laden ever breaks into my home while I'm dressed up role playing, I'll be prepared with good gear made by the good guys.

ETA: I guess Doc actually stated that he doesn't know Mick Strider personally, so I could only take his word for his impression on Duane Dwyer. I still find Doc's advise on gear to be right on almost without fail.

militarymoron
02-09-07, 13:27
Likewise, I have never met the owners of Cold Steal or Maxpudition, but because of their involvement in all of this, and because those I trust have been vocal about them, I have formed an opinion of them.

the problem with the 'errornet', as we're referring to it, is that words stay for a long time - long after the original parties have come to understandings and moved on. i believe that this is the case with maxpedition - whose owner was dragged into the mess because of his friendship/association with mad dog.
nyeti and i talked about this face to face a couple of months ago, and i also provided him with information that mick and tim had settled any misunderstandings a long time ago and had both moved on without ill feelings. unfortunately, since this private matter was not discussed publicly, the fight perpetuates without them. if mick said that he had no issues with tim, i'd have to believe he meant what he said at that time.
this needs to be buried once and for all - and all the misunderstanding and ill will that surrounds it.

TREE
02-09-07, 13:33
I have many acquaintences and fewer friends. Mick and Duane are friends.

I don't imagine a value like that comes easy. It works for me.

It wasn't my intention to ruffle any feathers, or, frankly, to hit so close to home. Sometimes being a scotch neat type doesn't go over.

Thanks all for taking the time out of your days to shoot this down [again].

-T

nyeti
02-09-07, 13:35
The problem arises when folks like Lynn Thompson, Kevin McClung, and Lance Harris want to revisit it regularly. This of course drags Maxpedition and TAG right back in. Its always funny how the character assasination on both Mick and Strider as a whole has blown back in the face of those who started it, and then of course they want to make things all better with Mick.

Mick is one of the most easy going guys I know (till you trip the switch). He is very low profile, and really wants no bad blood with anyone. He is also very humble in the show environment, and is always complimentary towards other folks work. Many of the feces throwers could take a lesson.

militarymoron
02-09-07, 14:25
nyeti - brother, i agree with you what you said - i'm just tired of seeing mud-slinging, misunderstandings or animosity perpetuate further than it should. about anyone. or politics and private matters take over technical/manufacturer discussions.
the result is always the same, never positive, and results in polarizing people.
:sigh:

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 16:20
The problem arises when folks like Lynn Thompson, Kevin McClung, and Lance Harris want to revisit it regularly. This of course drags Maxpedition and TAG right back in. Its always funny how the character assasination on both Mick and Strider as a whole has blown back in the face of those who started it, and then of course they want to make things all better with Mick.

Mick is one of the most easy going guys I know (till you trip the switch). He is very low profile, and really wants no bad blood with anyone. He is also very humble in the show environment, and is always complimentary towards other folks work. Many of the feces throwers could take a lesson.

Ahh, the clarity! You have always had the ability to cut directly to the chase...

STLRN
02-09-07, 17:25
I

Now my only issue with Strider knives, loose one and you'll find one way a man can go into post partum depression. :(

Ain't that the truth, lost one a couple years back, so the knife ended costing me twice its list price.

Pat, good article on the 777 and the Excalibur.

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 18:07
???What article?/ I only write for SWAT, and don't remember writing anything titled like that.
Latest article was about sub guns..

LukeMacGillie
02-09-07, 18:38
Just how many errornet forums is this converation going to be hashed out on?

There is some theory that every internet discussion will eventually include Sex, deffication, Nazies and now the Stider/CS/TAG/Maxipad war.

Pat_Rogers
02-09-07, 19:01
You are killing me!!!!!:p
The best part about it is that the Strider guys continue to show a steady increase no matter what, which must make some grit their chompers...

edwin907
02-09-07, 19:20
Here is a Strider I bought used and dull, and thanks to an "expert" ended up with a badly mis-sharpened blade.
Sent it to Strider with a $20 stuffed in the package and expected a phone call or email saying it'll be $250 to mount a new blade. Instead got this in return via FedEx.

http://www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/73200231/original.jpg

Thanks Strider guys for your service, past, present, and future, and god bless you and your families.

baffle Stack
02-09-07, 19:40
deleted

STLRN
02-09-07, 19:57
Pat
There is a guy writing for Special Weapons, with the name Pat Rodgers also than. He wrote an article about the M777 LW 155 Howitzer and the new Excalibur round.

Overall a good article, only 1 error in it.

Aubrey
02-09-07, 20:40
[QUOTE=Cybin]Ok let me get this straight. The info on TF is false:confused: Why is TF making him out to be such a douche? Is it some kind of insider thing? I did notice that the original poster's (Mad Dog) title says something about making knives. Does this guy hold a grudge because strider is the LaRue of the knife world?.../QUOTE]

Tactical Forums is Mad Dog's (Kevin McClung, AKA Kevin McKlung) site. Mick Strider has publicly posted more than once that Mr. McClung makes a good knife. Unfortunately, it seems, Mad Dog seems to have issues with Strider.

If you'll search TF, you'll see that many industry professionals used to post there but no longer participate. Clue?

Bolt_Overide
02-09-07, 21:44
What knife company does this mad dog jackass run, Id like to make sure I avoid his wares.

Posting that kind of crap is just poor sense and poorer business practice.

Dave L.
02-09-07, 22:31
I remember a few years back when Chris Osmond came to my BRC Class (2-03) and explained to us why we should buy all the Blackhawk gear in his store.
He told us we shouldn't buy gear from SOE (John Willis' company) because he was charging too much for cordura nylon that costs $3.00 per square yard. His argument was, "you can buy gear made in Viet Nam or buy gear made in the USA by Vietnamese people, but no matter what you are buying gear sewn with a Japanese sewing machine"...before said that stuff I really liked him.
Now his store only sells his "made in USA TAG gear".

I am not going to sit around and talk questionable trash- that is only one of the reasons I won't buy from TAG- people should make their own decisions.

I do want to say "Chris Osmond, your shit stinks too", and ever since you said those things(and a few other things) I have not spent one Cent on TAG.
...And Chris, Strider makes a way better knife than MercWorx...no matter what you say.

DrMark
02-09-07, 22:34
There is a guy writing for Special Weapons, with the name Pat Rodgers also than.
Pat Rogers (of EAG Tactical & this thread) has "Patrick A. Rogers" on every article of his that I've seen. Also, note that there is no d in Rogers.

What knife company does this mad dog jackass run... [?]
...that would be the appropriately-named Mad Dog Knives.

nyeti
02-09-07, 22:43
This has been overly hashed out elsewhere, and I have initially tried to avoid the issue here (like a bad rash, it keeps coming back).

Mick really wants this all to go away. He has rebuked all the accusations at another forum, including posting his DD214. He has been vetted by the Ranger association. He was convicted of a felony (and there is more to the story)-did every minute of his sentance without ratting all his pals out and has been an exemplary citiizen ever since. He freely states he screwed up and took his lumps without blaming anyone else. He has built a great company, makes a 100% USA made product that is directed towards the sucess of our troops at war, and is well respected and liked by many in the special operations, L/E, and military community.

Now look at the fecal throwers. A common thread binds them all. Never put their hand on a Bible and swore allegiance to our country and constitution, and they regret it. All seem to be "knife fighters and martial artists" yet again-never served in military or L/E. They are all very jealous of Striders success that came from hard work, constant product improvement based on input from warriors. Rather than build a better mousetrap, its easier to make their fragile egos better with feces than their own hard work. Keep in mind tht this all grew out of a single personal dispute between two guys who were friends, to a way for the "never haves" to take a pot shot at Strider who has been building a huge following in a community that they used to dominate. I think the Strider/LaRue analogy is right on the money.

I have watched the Strider guys pretty much shrug this whole thing off after they dealt with it when it first surfaced. They just keep building great tools and getting NSN's. Their competitiors are the ones who are living for trying to destroy Strider by regurgitating this crap as it drives their lives...................I guess some folks need a life.

Dave L.
02-09-07, 23:05
What other knife company would give you a free knife if you had proof you killed someone with one of theirs?:D Only the one that supports the troops the most:rolleyes:

baffle Stack
02-10-07, 01:09
deleted

Striker5
02-10-07, 10:11
I joined Tactical Forums about three months ago. I kind of puttered around for a while till I discovered the Strider knife thread and the "Nighthawk sucks!/It does not!" thread. That kind of turned me off to the site and I rarely go there.

It is too bad to see grown men, let alone men from the "Alpha" side of things throw hissies like cheerleader squad. We are an opinionated bunch and disagreements go with the territory but it degenerates to a ridiculous degree sometimes.

Mark LaRue
02-10-07, 12:12
Does this guy hold a grudge because strider is the LaRue of the knife world?

Thanks cybin.

And just for the record, I have publicly stated that I am nothing but a Career Navy Brat. Dad was a submariner.

Oh, and I too make a nice knife...just the one though.

M. LaRue

Pat_Rogers
02-10-07, 12:16
Maybe just a little better than a "nice" knife.....;)

baffle Stack
02-10-07, 13:59
deleted

LukeMacGillie
02-10-07, 14:49
Im waiting on 3 TDY payments, at least one is going on a Strider, one to pay for one of Pat's classes and 3d to fix my broke jeep. Im getting the Stider first! Priorities ya know:cool:

Batt 57
02-10-07, 16:19
Mick's own words...

http://badlands.badlandsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6774

Submariner
02-10-07, 17:37
Dad was a submariner.

M. LaRue

Even with radiation, you turned out OK.:D

Unless he was DBF, then you make much more sense.;)

DrMark
02-10-07, 17:39
Mick's own words...

http://badlands.badlandsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6774

In his own words... no better way.

Thanks.

nyeti
02-10-07, 17:49
For the record-Mark LaRue also does a bad ass knife that is exceptional..............like all LaRue product.

Mark LaRue
02-11-07, 08:01
For the record-Mark LaRue also does a bad ass knife that is exceptional..............like all LaRue product.

Thanks Nyeti.

Submariner, Dad was diesel...he missed the radiation, but he fell in line for damn-near-free cigarettes and all-you-can-eat fried bacon. He had a massive heart attack just a few months after he retired off the ship...then hung-on for another 30 years to see 2000.

I still think his best move ever was let me use the only $14 dollars I had to buy a 410 single-shot and turned me loose with it...I was eleven that day and came back with my first rabbit.:)

M. LaRue

Hawkeye
02-11-07, 08:24

Now, if he'd just MAKE a few more of them....... :D

Loner
03-03-07, 11:28
I thought this has been laid to rest? when will this end?

nyeti
03-03-07, 13:09
It won't until these folks run Strider out of business, as that is the goal of all of this. If the world is a better place without Strider Knives, so be it. Please don't post references to other forums on this issue. If you have a personal first hand issue with Strider Knives-good or bad, feel free to post it, otherwise, I would prefer the witch hunt go on elsewhere. Thanks.

usmcgrunt
03-03-07, 14:57
Pretty lame to me! Someone post in a 3 page thread about it being "laid to rest" and then link to it! Where is the "Dead Horse" smilie? As far as Im concerned if they had any balls at all they would confront Mick and Duane on the whole situation and get it from the man himself! I have been to Striders shop and there aint alot of room to hide so it should be easy for them to find Mick and Duane! Who really gives a sh*t! Either you like their knives or you dont and if you dont then dont buy'em! Save the drama for somewhere else!

Grunt Out!

Dave L.
03-03-07, 15:35
Speaking of Strider;

There new website is almost finished and I can't wait. They have so many great things coming out.

However, I am very ashamed to admit...I only own 1 strider knife, which is pathetic for someone with 2 hands.

Don't hate me gentlemen.:(

Dozer
03-03-07, 16:34
I bought an MT before deployment last year directly from them and they game me an awesome discount. I only used it to open AK ammo cans an other such things. I had a few dings on the blade and scratches on the finish. I sent it back to have it re-finished expecting to pay up the wazoo for my lack of care. I called the guys, after I sent it, for an estimate and they said they would call me back. I started to worry a couple of weeks after I didn't hear from them but the day I was going to call them I received a package with my Strider. It looks like a brand new blade and they even re-wrapped the handle. I don't know how these guys stay in business.

S/F
Libardo

usmcgrunt
03-03-07, 20:46
I had a few dings on the blade and scratches on the finish. I sent it back to have it re-finished expecting to pay up the wazoo for my lack of care................. don't know how these guys stay in business.

S/F
Libardo

Hey Brother let me tell you from first hand experience they want to see you use your blade! I took a couple of customs that Mick had made and I thought they would rip me a new one for letting my blades get so bad.....instead they told me they were glad to see I was using the hell out of them and even fixed to broken tip for me as well......all this while I waited with my son and nephew(they even gave em a shop tour!)! I didnt get charged for shit either! You wanna know how they stay in business......Excellent Customer Service! Thats why I go back to buy more sh*t my wife thinks I dont need!

Grunt Out!

Loner
03-03-07, 22:47
my apologies for posting the link. I'm just looking for some answers why this keeps coming up and what these people have against Mick. btw i love my striders and will continue to support them.

usmcgrunt
03-03-07, 23:41
my apologies for posting the link. I'm just looking for some answers why this keeps coming up and what these people have against Mick. btw i love my striders and will continue to support them.

Hey Bro sorry for being aggressive like that, I apologize! Im on a couple other forums and even the Strider forum so I get kinda irrate hearing the same thing over and over! Especially from BF and TF, who seem to be promoting this squabble! You gotta post some pics of those Striders! I got rid of some a while back but I still have the pics! Maybe I will post some! Later and Take Care!

Grunt Out!

nyeti
03-03-07, 23:46
What they have against Mick is their own short comings and/or jealousy. You will notice that this stuff gets stopped immediately on many of the professional forums. Its because the people with the correct connections and enough pull who have vetted Mick and Duane have come up with the same thumbs up as I have gotten. The biggest issues are why do these people want Strider to fold up so badly, and what are the consequences for all the inquisitors and investigators if in fact Mick and Duane have the backgrounds that so many naysayers say they don't have? My best advice is to leave the antics to the kiddie forums, and keep M4 out of the witch hunt.

Glad to hear that your knives are performing as expected.