PDA

View Full Version : want to move out of California....

thatgirl
08-30-09, 19:12
Im new to this forum and Im not sure if this is the correct place for this post. If Im in the right place, please help me out. I really want to move out of california, but not sure where to go. The taxes are sky high, the laws pertaining to firearms are bewildering, and they're gonna start commuting felony sentences to misdemeanors so they can let a bunch of repeat offenders out early to make up for the budget shortfall. This is getting ridiculous. I want to relocate to an area where I don't have to be related to the sheriff to get a carry permit and there aren't so many silly nonsensical restrictions on firearms. Im looking into moving to Wa, Nv, Co, or maybe Az but if anyone has any better suggestions Im ALL EARS.

Abraxas
08-30-09, 19:18
Out of the states you listed I would go with either AZ or CO, but that is just me. But what ever state you go to, it will have some goofball laws that irritate you or something about it that you hate. What ever set of skills that you posses for making money might also play a big role. Different areas have different needs. Just a thought

tinman44
08-30-09, 19:40
Tennessee

Abraxas
08-30-09, 20:09
Tennessee

That is a good choice. I have considered moving there on occasion.

RogerinTPA
08-30-09, 20:23
Welcome to M4C Thatgirl. If you have an attachment for the west coast, AZ or CO would be my choice, it not, the free state of FL is great in the winter, and liberal with the gun laws (The Castle Law for the home and car are my favorites). ;) Until the last election, CCW permits were a breeze, now they are up to 5-6 months in processing.

murphy j
08-30-09, 20:26
Oklahoma will take you. Specifically the Tulsa area. Several good ranges in the area including a world class one that's the only one of it's kind in the country.

thatgirl
08-30-09, 20:30
Welcome to M4C Thatgirl. If you have an attachment for the west coast, AZ or CO would be my choice, it not, the free state of FL is great in the winter, and liberal with the gun laws (The Castle Law for the home and car are my favorites). ;) Until the last election, CCW permits were a breeze, now they are up to 5-6 months in processing.

My grandmother lives in FL. I haven't been there in ages though. by "liberal" do you mean it's a "stand your ground" state? That's a big factor we're looking for when we move.

Brasilnuts
08-30-09, 20:42
Tennessee

Yeah, it's nice here.

BVickery
08-30-09, 20:46
I'd cross WA since it is slowly becoming CA jr.

FL isn't that bad as far as gun laws etc. But the job market sucks. I would think TN would be a great place as well.

Good luck in your move.

FL has the good kind of liberal----Gun Laws. Again, its not THAT bad down here. And if you like to fish/scuba dive its great!

geminidglocker
08-30-09, 21:43
I'm like the only Vermonter here, so I put a vote in for Vermont.

HES
08-30-09, 22:39
My grandmother lives in FL. I haven't been there in ages though. by "liberal" do you mean it's a "stand your ground" state? That's a big factor we're looking for when we move.
Yep. We have the stand your ground laws. Florida is probably one of the most RTKABA friendly states out there. As for the job market, depends on what you want to do for a living. If its construction Id say look else where. Our real estate prices are incredibly low for someone looking to buy.

JSandi
08-30-09, 23:14
Yeah, Tennessee... anywhere but Trashville.

noctis
08-30-09, 23:27
I just moved a month ago from Cali to Georgia for similar reasons.

What are you looking for in similarities?

Didnt figure into the whole lack of a close beach into my move... :mad:

kmrtnsn
08-31-09, 00:55
The biggest factor in your prospective move should be your marketable skills and the area that can support a market for your skills. For instance, real estate values may justify a move to Youngstown, OH but the lack of jobs makes it a poor choice since the collapse of about all industry in the area. Think about what you do, or can do and where there is a demand for that skillset; that will be where you can go. Any other kind of move would be foolish.

bkb0000
08-31-09, 01:13
why the hell isn't OreGUN on that list??

Oregun's a great place- we have all climates from deserts to rain forests, it's hot in the summer and snows in the winter, we've got sandy beaches and skiing within 2 hours drive of each other, we've got endless miles of country, a pretty big city, and more suburbia than you can cover with your muzzle.. tech jobs galor, development, great restaurants, cultural diversity if that's your thing, and little towns devoid of all minorities..

plus, we're the ONLY left-coast state with relatively good gun laws... we're "shall-issue" for CCW, no waiting periods for gun purchases, no purchase limits, you can own all NFA items, LE is generally conservative, and we've got a couple of world-class firearms and tactics schools.. plus a number of really good ranges all over the place.

if you like guns and want to live on the left-coast, Oregun is the only place.

No NFA in WA, no ANYTHING in Cali..

SteyrAUG
08-31-09, 01:44
Im new to this forum and Im not sure if this is the correct place for this post. If Im in the right place, please help me out. I really want to move out of california, but not sure where to go. The taxes are sky high, the laws pertaining to firearms are bewildering, and they're gonna start commuting felony sentences to misdemeanors so they can let a bunch of repeat offenders out early to make up for the budget shortfall. This is getting ridiculous. I want to relocate to an area where I don't have to be related to the sheriff to get a carry permit and there aren't so many silly nonsensical restrictions on firearms. Im looking into moving to Wa, Nv, Co, or maybe Az but if anyone has any better suggestions Im ALL EARS.

What about Florida?

It's a lot like Cali only without the hippies, lunatics and stupid laws.

SteyrAUG
08-31-09, 01:47

Yes, he means stand your ground, even when NOT in your home. In FL there is no duty to retreat as in most other states.

As for firearms, just about anything is good to go.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/832/p1003850pj8.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7814/p1003856xc4.jpg

thatgirl
08-31-09, 02:22
The biggest factor in your prospective move should be your marketable skills and the area that can support a market for your skills. For instance, real estate values may justify a move to Youngstown, OH but the lack of jobs makes it a poor choice since the collapse of about all industry in the area. Think about what you do, or can do and where there is a demand for that skillset; that will be where you can go. Any other kind of move would be foolish.

Firearms laws and regulations aren't our only concern, but are a big factor. We'll definitely be looking into all aspects. ie: jobs, property and income taxes, population, ect. My other half is looking for a career in law enforcement and we're not moving until he finds a job with a department he likes. He was accepted into the CHP, but since we've decided to move he's looking at other states law enforcement departments. I'm just looking for any personal input on where others live/have lived. Thanks so much for all the replies. You guys have been really helpful already.

ThirdWatcher
08-31-09, 03:23
In Washington, any law-abiding resident can get a concealed weapons permit (good for five years). This exempts you from any waiting periods (something a commission card won't do for you). Once you get out of the Puget Sound area, attitudes are a little more conservative (especially east of the Cascades).

LEO retirement plans aren't that great, though. Isn't CHP 3% a year (towards retirement)? It's only 2% in Washington.

Best wishes.:)

Buck
08-31-09, 03:30
He was accepted into the CHP.

The CHP (AAA with guns) is a great department and very difficult to get into... I would not be so quick to turn down an appointment to their academy... It's a paid recruit position, which is kind of rare these days...

Just my .02

B

SkiDevil
08-31-09, 04:07
The CHP (AAA with guns) is a great department and very difficult to get into... I would not be so quick to turn down an appointment to their academy... It's a paid recruit position, which is kind of rare these days...

Just my .02

B

I would have to agree with Mr. Buck that if your husband passed the background check AND the Medical Physical walking away from such an opportunity is something to consider carefully [If only a conditional offer of employment was extended that is a different matter]. Especially considering that many cities/ counties in California are laying off Police Officers and Sheriff's Deputies. Plus, if he maintains a good record with the CHP (very little BS is tolerated w/them) he can lateral-out to another agency out of the state. CHP has a good reputation.

Although, I do not work for the CHP myself, two of my closest friends do. They have no regrets with their choice. The pay and benefits are excellent and there are many opportunities, especially since the CHP and State Police merged. Not many people realize that the CHP has SWAT teams, K-9, Air Operations, Capitol Security, Dignitary VIP responsibilities, and are the only Law Enforcement officials in rural areas of the State. In addition, their training is thorough and extensive.

Oh yes, tell your husband not to rule-out Federal Law Enforcement. Many of the three letter agencies are actively recruiting/ hiring, but typically a BA/ BS (4 year college) degree is required. Military service helps and depending on the MOS will sometimes off-set the degree requirements (Intelligence/ Special Forces/ Combat Experience).

Good Luck, I hope that you find greener pastures.
SkiDevil

P.S. I know several people who have moved to Texas recently. They say it is pretty nice out there. I'm planning a visit to see for myself.

tinman44
08-31-09, 04:16
or texas. my brother was born in texas wish i could say that

HES
08-31-09, 08:55
why the hell isn't OreGUN on that list??

Oregun's a great place- we have all climates from deserts to rain forests, it's hot in the summer and snows in the winter, we've got sandy beaches and skiing within 2 hours drive of each other, we've got endless miles of country, a pretty big city, and more suburbia than you can cover with your muzzle.. tech jobs galor, development, great restaurants, cultural diversity if that's your thing, and little towns devoid of all minorities..

plus, we're the ONLY left-coast state with relatively good gun laws... we're "shall-issue" for CCW, no waiting periods for gun purchases, no purchase limits, you can own all NFA items, LE is generally conservative, and we've got a couple of world-class firearms and tactics schools.. plus a number of really good ranges all over the place.

if you like guns and want to live on the left-coast, Oregun is the only place.

No NFA in WA, no ANYTHING in Cali..
Question about Oregon. Ae you seeing an influx of folks from California and do you see them as changing the political landscape in your state? I look at New Hampshire and then see all the masshole refugees moving there and the changes in government that they are trying for. Do you see your proximity or California as a threat or a non issue?

What about Florida?

It's a lot like Cali only without the hippies, lunatics and stupid laws.
Oh we got all three, but they are different from their California counterparts. Do you not realize how many guests on Jerry Springer come from this state? By the way Im not knocking our hippies, nut jobs, and stupid laws. Ours are harmless, yet entertaining and keep this place lively

Cameron
08-31-09, 09:07
Colorado is full. Move along.

Nathan_Bell
08-31-09, 09:15

No shit.

I love my state's geography variation and this is where my family is, but jobs...

It is almost as if the government around here said.
"employers?! We doen need no steenking employers!"

Irish
08-31-09, 10:16
If you're considering purchasing a home in Las Vegas now would be a good time for it as prices have dropped considerably. I moved here from Huntington Beach approx 5 years ago and it definitely has it's positives & negatives but to a much greater extreme than most places. In the past 4 years my house has lost 1/2 it's value from when I purchased it new but hopefully prices will start coming back up soon :rolleyes: I do know that LV Metro is hiring along with North Vegas and Henderson.
I'll be moving in the next few years as my wife and I don't want to raise children here and have them in this environment. Along with that the school system here is absolutely horrible! As it looks right now our next move will be to the Scottsdale area. Clean, gun friendly, lots of sunshine and as long as we're close to a lake for boating we're all set :D

Artos
08-31-09, 10:49
Texas should be on your list...you are certainly welcome and have a lot of areas and demo.'s to choose from.

bkb0000
08-31-09, 11:22
Question about Oregon. Ae you seeing an influx of folks from California and do you see them as changing the political landscape in your state? I look at New Hampshire and then see all the masshole refugees moving there and the changes in government that they are trying for. Do you see your proximity or California as a threat or a non issue?

i was just driving through my mother's neighborhood the other day and was thinking about how much the place has changed since I was a kid. i passed by about 50-60 children playing/walking/skating/bike riding/etc... every single one of them was philipino or mexican. when i was a kid, i was at least 8 or 9 years old before i ever saw my first minority in person...

I grew up in central-western washington county. it was nothing but 729 square miles of wheat fields and cow pastures, surrounded by berries and apples in the foothills. outside the town of hillsboro, there were about 3 primitive sub-divisions, floating out in the wheat and cow shit.

i went to military school in my early teenage years, and joined the army upon graduation.. and when i got back, Intel had bought in and built 3 campuses, and all those wheat fields became brand new, lowest bidder construction, treeless subdivisions from hell. and almost everyone living in them is from california.

nowadays, washington county has a population of a half million (from about 30,000 when i was a kid), and 3/4rths of them are from california. washington county is now a firmly "blue" county, voting solely Democrat in every election.

and that's just my county... the same has happened elsewhere in NW oregon. the only reason we have such good gun laws is because we have no gun crime.. if more people shot each other, i'm quite certain all these voting californians would turn us into a little mini california right quick. as it is, they come up here to their new little slice of paradise (having excavated mine out of existence), and don't hear about/think about/care about guns anymore.

i got the hell out of there and settled down in the next county over, where my wife grew up. it's still rural and christian and conservative out here.

Naxet1959
08-31-09, 13:03
Texas should be on your list...you are certainly welcome and have a lot of areas and demo.'s to choose from.

Definitely Texas: NO state income tax, HUGE difference in housing prices (for the good) great gun laws, the economy has fared better there than most states, tons of opportunity, great people.

crusader4x
08-31-09, 13:20
I recently left Kommiefornia for Washington State BUT my first recommendation would be Idaho. I lived in Idaho for 8 years and LOVED EVERY MINUTE of it. Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, and Eagle, Idaho are all great places to live. Boise isn't too bad either but, as most large cities, it's becoming much more liberal.

9Y10C
08-31-09, 15:31
I recently left Kommiefornia for Washington State BUT my first recommendation would be Idaho. I lived in Idaho for 8 years and LOVED EVERY MINUTE of it. Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, and Eagle, Idaho are all great places to live. Boise isn't too bad either but, as most large cities, it's becoming much more liberal.

Like I read about Colorado, Idaho is full too. Getting too crowded. My county has grown from 32k to 150k in last fifteen years. So many wolves now that we gotta start shooting them this year. The drawbridge is up and is broken... hehehe:D

RogerinTPA
08-31-09, 16:12

That's exactly what it means. You have no obligation to retreat, as you do in other "commie" anti-gun states. Even if you don't have a CCW permit. The Castle law, has been extended to your vehicle. Just have the handgun in a holster, with a retention strap, and in a container (Glove box, center console), and your covered. There was a recent car jacking where the driver shot the guy, after he saw the gun, then decided to change his mind about the car jacking. The driver was not charged.:p

FYI: No state tax, Housing market is still cheap, You get a homestead exemption (a 25% decrease in home value for tax purposes), surrounded by water and liberal gun laws. :)

08-31-09, 18:13
Looking at moving to: OR-small town in northwest(beautiful) still conservative, ID-outside of Caldwell-still conservative and just beautiful, ME-north central-seem to be very independent and community oriented-low crime-lots of land-mainly conservative democrats-can deal with these. Visiting OR in 3 weeks, ID in 5, Leave for ME week from today. Looking for land and good, distant neighbors. I like the demographics in these areas.

OP- Go to city-data.com. Will give you loads of info about an area.

Selftest
08-31-09, 18:38
Being a recent ex-pat from California (moved to Washington state a month ago) I can tell you a few things about this beautiful state...

!) It's beautiful. Ocean, forests, world-class mountains. Mellow summers (compared to the 112 degrees I left behind in So. Cal) and snowy winters (in some areas). Yes, it rains. Quite a bit (I'm in Bellingham, which is about 20 miles from the Canadian border on the western side of the state, we're butted up against the Sound).

2) The cops in the area seem pretty nice, when you see them. The area I live in has almost zero crime ( we leave the whole house open day and night during the summer months. The worst intruders we get are bunnies)

3)My car registration was $75. Down from $340 a year in California. My car insurance went down significantly as well. Rent is fairly inexpensive (I pay $350 a month for a room in a house, but I understand that mortgages are fairly inexpensive as well)

4) It's something like $53 dollars for a five year CCW. We also have legal open-carry throughout the state, with no permit required (have to unload and secure weapon when you enter your car). It is true that there are no NFA weapons allowed, at least as far as SBR and SBS are concerned. You can own a suppressor, but you cannot fire a weapon with one attached (I know). You can own AOW, the sheriff has to sign off on the purchase... unless you buy it with a Trust.

It's very beautiful up here. Seattle is a world-renowned city (yeah, it's full of granolas and liberals, but they can't step on your RKBA... Think San Francisco with guns) that has a fantastic night life, great concert venues, baseball, football, and a bustling city vibe. We share a border with Canada, and a few VERY free states. I know that Seattle LEO's make fairly decent wages, and that city is growing.

Take a look up here, you might like it.

WGG
08-31-09, 18:46
Another vote for Texas. Reasonable gun laws, relatively low unemployement and affordable in most places. Good luck!

Iraqgunz
09-01-09, 06:26
I would definitely look into AZ. I felt like a new person when I escaped from California. We also have quite a few depts. here and some are actually hiring. Our gun laws are good and there is work here.

DragonDoc
09-01-09, 06:42
San Antonio would be a good place to relocate to. Texas doesn't have state taxes, San Antonio property taxes are reasonable and the housing market is stable. Homes are correctly priced, $250,000 gets you a quality 2500 sq ft home here. Texans supoort the 2nd amendment and you know what they do with the criminals here (convicted on Monday, hung by Friday :D). The cost of living isn't bad here either. I saw gas for $2.32 today (down from $2.39 for reg. unleaded). There are three military bases here and they are all expanding with about $100 billion in construction going on. This is definitely the place to be if you are medical. Crime is moderate but not as rampant as in other cities of comparable size. We haven't been hit as hard as other areas of the country with this recession. I have to warn you though, it is hotter than hell here but you listed AZ as a destination so you should be good to go.

DragonDoc
09-01-09, 06:48
Firearms laws and regulations aren't our only concern, but are a big factor. We'll definitely be looking into all aspects. ie: jobs, property and income taxes, population, ect. My other half is looking for a career in law enforcement and we're not moving until he finds a job with a department he likes. He was accepted into the CHP, but since we've decided to move he's looking at other states law enforcement departments. I'm just looking for any personal input on where others live/have lived. Thanks so much for all the replies. You guys have been really helpful already.

San Antonio's Police department is hiring.

rrpederson
09-01-09, 07:53
tx. i came from california as well. i live in denton county. i think that u would probably love it. there are plenty of places to get houses for cheap. jobs are as plentiful as anywhere. u also dont have to worry about concealed carry laws. the sherriff is a conservative and will sign any of the nfa paperwork that u put in front of him. he signed nfa paperwork for my for my short barreled rifle and my suppressor.

justin_247
09-01-09, 08:23

This is the crap that is happening in AZ. I just PCS'ed from there back in March and the liberals there were a pain in the ass for the Air Force. Many of the liberal homeowners associations were composed entirely of immigrants from CA and they took great pride in the fact that their lobbying efforts reduced our night flying or ability to do engine runs early in the morning, and had successfully lobbied against basing the future CSAR-X helicopter there. Now they're encroaching on Luke AFB and threaten to damage efforts to station the F-35 there... just trying to fly out to the ranges is difficult due to the civilian residences surrounding the base.

They're weird... they were very nice to military folks as long we didn't do anything that made any noise.

These are the same village idiots who want clean power, but don't want a wind turbine or nuclear power plant or dam built on that river next to their house, and want easier access to airports but won't allow them to be build near them because they cause "noise pollution."

They are an inherently destructive force. It's basically a strategy of resistance which ultimately leads to a democratic coup. The same people who were protesting against the conservative California governments in the 60s took it over in the late 80s and turned it hard to the left, and the same strategy is being applied to other beautiful states. The same thing is happening to Colorado, my dream state, and North Carolina. States that are beautiful and free will overrun and turned into liberal managerial states.

It disgusts me.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-01-09, 12:56
Yes, he means stand your ground, even when NOT in your home. In FL there is no duty to retreat as in most other states.

As for firearms, just about anything is good to go.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/832/p1003850pj8.jpg

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7814/p1003856xc4.jpg

Is that a real tile, or laminate?

THE FROG
09-01-09, 13:28
CO. if you stay out of Denver.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-01-09, 13:57
CO. if you stay out of Denver.

Even Denver isnt terrible. Just max capacity of 20rds in your mags...but there are no ranges in Denver, so its irrelevant :P

Herkemer
09-01-09, 17:56
Another vote for Texas here. Just left the bay area in January and relocated to Austin. Was able to get a job. Just bought a bitchin house that would have costed over a million in Mountain View. Built an AR, starting on the second. Nice place here.

I was born and raised in Oregon. I like it there too. I grew up in and around Portland (Beaverton-Cedar Mill-Mollala-Scappoose-Portland-Vancouver-ect), and still have a lot of family there. I just got older and don't like being cold or wet anymore, and all of the Californian's brought all of their in your face political bullshit way of talking/living/being to my old home. It's a bummer. Get away from the Portland area if you can though....It's nice, only poorer and no jobs.

Other places I spent a reasonable amount of time in during my professional and military careers that I liked were....

Maine- The gun laws were good when I was there.

Vermont- Same

South Carolina- I really liked it there. It was a toss up between Texas and SC, Texas won because I had friends living there, and my Girlfriend got a great job there.

Hawaii- No guns, no jobs, but I really liked living there. If I wasn't into shooting and working for a living, I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Try Texas. No matter whatever happens ever, it's still Texas and I like that. No political or social climate is going to change Texas during my lifetime.

JHC
09-01-09, 18:16
If I could make my money there I'd live in Wyoming. But Georgia is an impressive state; politically and natural resources-wise. Gun deer season will run from Oct 20-Jan1 in the north part of the state. Limit - 12. VAST VAST amounts of National Forest for the exploring. Guns R us. Awesome state with four distinct seasons (North GA) just a short drive from FL.

Are you a Java developer by chance? ;)

crenca
09-01-09, 22:30
As someone who has lived in a couple of different western states when the "calis" move in and drive up home prices and skew politics to the left, here is my advice:

You made your bed, now lie in it. Stay out of my state!! :p

thatgirl
09-01-09, 22:39
As someone who has lived in a couple of different western states when the "calis" move in and drive up home prices and skew politics to the left, here is my advice:

You made your bed, now lie in it. Stay out of my state!! :p

Really?!? Are you serious? You have nothing better to do than be a pest?

Let me just say thank you to all the folks who actually gave informative and objective replies to this thread and left the childish behavior out of it.

crenca
09-01-09, 23:00
Really?!? Are you serious? You have nothing better to do than be a pest?

Let me just say thank you to all the folks who actually gave informative and objective replies to this thread and left the childish behavior out of it.

I am quite serious. In my current area (southern NM), easily 10% any current home price is directly attributable to Californians selling their 2000 square foot 1950's junk for some outrageous amount (often over $500,000) and coming here and driving up prices. NM used to be a somewhat conservative swing state, but with all the recent move in from California (and to be fair, some from the NE also) we are all liberal now.

Nothing personal, but these are not good developments for us. It would be better if you stayed in California and fixed things there, than come here and mess things up further.

I have family in CO (Denver) and they have experienced the exact same thing - in fact it's even an unstated underground sentiment. You are NOT liked if you say you are from Cali. If you decide to go to CO you better not make a point of saying where you are from.

Please do not seriously consider coming to NM however...

bkb0000
09-01-09, 23:58
I am quite serious. In my current area (southern NM), easily 10% any current home price is directly attributable to Californians selling their 2000 square foot 1950's junk for some outrageous amount (often over $500,000) and coming here and driving up prices. NM used to be a somewhat conservative swing state, but with all the recent move in from California (and to be fair, some from the NE also) we are all liberal now.

Nothing personal, but these are not good developments for us. It would be better if you stayed in California and fixed things there, than come here and mess things up further.

I have family in CO (Denver) and they have experienced the exact same thing - in fact it's even an unstated underground sentiment. You are NOT liked if you say you are from Cali. If you decide to go to CO you better not make a point of saying where you are from.

Please do not seriously consider coming to NM however...

wow... this is a pretty ass-backwards line of reasoning, man.

we have a way worse problem with californians moving up here and ****ing things up, but i welcome conservative californians with enthusiasm. i love when good californians move out, come here, help even the balance in this state, and further alienate california from the rest of the country. every conservative that abandons that sinking ship is just one more step toward them falling off into the ocean.

crenca
09-02-09, 00:16
wow... this is a pretty ass-backwards line of reasoning, man.

we have a way worse problem with californians moving up here and ****ing things up, but i welcome conservative californians with enthusiasm. i love when good californians move out, come here, help even the balance in this state, and further alienate california from the rest of the country. every conservative that abandons that sinking ship is just one more step toward them falling off into the ocean.

So it would seem. However, name one state that has benefited from the influence from the current demographic move out of California. You can't. It's one thing to look at the individual level, but the REAL trend is in the whole - the demographics.

On the individual level, how do you really know she/they are "conservative" - because they like firearms. I know some liberals who are "conservative" when it comes to firearms. Some of them are in my gun club. They vote liberal and they drive up housing prices when they are from California. If she/they are really conservative, let them stay and do something useful in California.

I will take may chances and discourage anyone from California from coming to my state. Is that "prejudice". Sure is, but the term used to and should have positive content. I am "prejudiced" against fire - I don't stick my hand in every flame I see to test if it is hot. Sure, there may be a few "cool" flames out there, but my prejudice in the whole is correct...

thatgirl
09-02-09, 00:25
So it would seem. However, name one state that has benefited from the influence from the current demographic move out of California. You can't. It's one thing to look at the individual level, but the REAL trend is in the whole - the demographics.

On the individual level, how do you really know she/they are "conservative" - because they like firearms. I know some liberals who are "conservative" when it comes to firearms. Some of them are in my gun club. They vote liberal and they drive up housing prices when they are from California. If she/they are really conservative, let them stay and do something useful in California.

I will take may chances and discourage anyone from California from coming to my state. Is that "prejudice". Sure is, but the term used to and should have positive content. I am "prejudiced" against fire - I don't stick my hand in every flame I see to test if it is hot. Sure, there may be a few "cool" flames out there, but my prejudice in the whole is correct...

Please don't concern yourself with this thread anymore.

Gramps
09-02-09, 00:55
IIRC Washington State says "You can own a silencer, but you damn well can't use it", (WTF?) And there are some other strange laws like that there. I was damn glad to move away from there. I visit family and friends there, but that is IT. They are all on the east side of the state too. Last trip to U of W, was a total crock of crap. I grew up in western WA, and am damn glad to be out of that BS. Were the sky color is "Suicidal Grey".

Tomac
09-02-09, 06:15
Idaho. Class III state w/"shall issue" CCW, RKBA protected in the State Constitution. I moved here from California over 20yrs ago and haven't looked back. Of course the job market isn't doing too well right now but it's still a great place to live.
Tomac

diving dave
09-02-09, 10:48
Interesting thread..I was born and raised here in Kali..but my days here are numbered. 5 more years till I can retire, and have no plans to leave my Dept. before then, too much to loose. But I am looking at buying a home in Montana. My wife is from there, and if I can take the winters its my kind of state. I went to a gun store in Helena last time I was there, and my chin hit the floor. Racks of AR's, Sig's, even flash hiders on M1A's.:eek: I suspect the day is going to come when the only people left in this state are welfare suckups.

RemMan700
09-02-09, 12:44
Another vote for TX. You can carry concealed in your car with out having a CHL and houses are very affordable. I am a Realtor and can help you find a house too! ;)

thatgirl
09-06-09, 19:24
This video pretty much sums it up. I mean, we really have to move soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe_kwc8klw

RogerinTPA
09-06-09, 19:59
This video pretty much sums it up. I mean, we really have to move soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe_kwc8klw

What the hell was that? Does everyone in Kali speak and rationalize that way? Sounded like an excerpt from a Vally Girl movie.:rolleyes:

gogetal3
09-06-09, 21:05

Yep I love my FL.

ghost762
09-06-09, 21:10
I'd cross WA since it is slowly becoming CA jr.

FL isn't that bad as far as gun laws etc. But the job market sucks. I would think TN would be a great place as well.

Good luck in your move.

FL has the good kind of liberal----Gun Laws. Again, its not THAT bad down here. And if you like to fish/scuba dive its great!

Oregon aint any better. I'm originally from Idaho, but its been years since I lived there so I don't know how the gun laws are. Boise is a nice area to live in.

bkb0000
09-07-09, 01:17
Oregon aint any better.

whachutokenbout willis? you almost cant get any better gun laws here.

ghost762
09-07-09, 03:08
whachutokenbout willis? you almost cant get any better gun laws here.

I guess I was talking about the uber liberals from the west side of Oregon. I'm sure central and eastern Oregon are much better. I can't talk bad about that state cause I lived in Portland from 1980-1985. It still holds a fondness to me. Course I moved to Boise when I was 9.

EzGoingKev
09-08-09, 18:00
IMO California is most enjoyed by people that are currently not in CA.

The people that enjoy CA the most are the people that have never been there.

thatgirl
09-09-09, 11:18
What the hell was that? Does everyone in Kali speak and rationalize that way? Sounded like an excerpt from a Vally Girl movie.:rolleyes:

Yes they really do. In our last mayoral election, one of the independent candidates whole platform was centered around letting chickens (yes CHICKENS) wander freely around the city (the city being Sacramento which is a fairly large very urban area) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!?!

Gramps
09-09-09, 11:30
With that shit, the Mexicans will soon bypass/move out of that frickin shit.

Some sheople are just hell bent on showing just how fubared they really are.

Those tards are moving here too. They just insisted that a "Roundy Round" be put in on one of our streets because, "20 years ago the city engineer was hit on his bicycle while on his way to work", yes 20 years ago!

-gary
09-09-09, 12:11
No more refugees to AZ or CO please. The only two places that I spend any time in. Little Berkeley (Boulder) is poisoning Colorado as it is and the CA liberals have a firm grip on the Arizona media now.

Dirk Williams
09-09-09, 12:22
Southern Oregon is hard to beat. They/We still refer to this area as The State Of Jefferson. Property tax only, employees still pump your gas and the country is fantasitc if your an outdoorsman.

If you like warm weather look at Medford, Grants Pass. If you like four true seasons look at Klamath Falls/Lakeview area's. There are politics anywhere you go, Oregon is liberal up north, and very conservitive down south.

I live in Oregon and work in California, I'm lucky. From K/Falls you can be in the woods in 20 minutes any direction you go. If your boyfriend is looking for LEO work Klamath County and Klamath Falls PD seem to always be hiring. I've worked at both Retired from "KFPD"

I have to agree with the others CHP is a tough one to get into. The Chips here in the Siskiyou/ Modoc County "Resident posts" area actually live in Oregon and work in Ca Like I do. Lots and lots of advantages to living here, and working there.

Good luck on your upcoming great adventure.

Respectfully, Dirk Williams

thatgirl
09-09-09, 12:31
No more refugees to AZ or CO please. The only two places that I spend any time in. Little Berkeley (Boulder) is poisoning Colorado as it is and the CA liberals have a firm grip on the Arizona media now.

I am very much NOT a liberal if that's what you're worried about. Those types are the main reason we can't stand this state. They're super anti-American borderline traitors out here. obama stickers everywhere and I swear half of this state is on welfare. No, this is NOT my car.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s340/that_girl_alia/5731_1235091396974_1219880624_30695.jpg