PDA

View Full Version : IDPA?

Ga Shooter
08-31-09, 09:17
I have been invited to join and shoot with a local IDPA club. This will provide me a place to shoot ( hard to find here) and also get to shoot with people that are probably a lot better than me. Can anybody give me any advice on what to do or haow to do it or is there some reason why I should not do it? I have plenty of experience shooting various forms of weapons, but I have never shot "official" competition before.

Thanks

azidpa
08-31-09, 11:54
make sure you have a working understanding of the rules.
www.idpa.com (http://www.idpa.com)

keep the muzzle in a safe direction while moving (if you are not shooting) and
don't "over-think" the tactics for the stage.

rob_s
08-31-09, 12:20
If it is like most IDPA clubs, they will have their own ways of dealing with "new shooters" (which means people new to shooting IDPA, not necessarily new to shooting entirely, so this would include you).

pistol
belt
holster (quality holster, no soft-sided nylon)
double mag pouch (or two singles)
3 magazines (at least)
ammo (200 rounds should be more than plenty)
good attitude
ability to listen

If every new shooter showed up at our IDPA matches with the above we would be very, very, very happy.

Aray
08-31-09, 13:27
If every new shooter showed up at our IDPA matches with the above we would be very, very, very happy.

I agree wholeheartedly, make sure you have decent gear and know how to use it.

Don't work yourself up worrying about doing well or winning. Just go, relax, follow directions, and hit your targets.

Ga Shooter
09-02-09, 12:32
Thanks for the advice. I found out that the first shoot I will be going to is "the classifier". I have read the rules and understand them. It looks like it will be a lot of fun and will help hone my skills. "Iron sharpens iron." I did check and all of my ccw holsters and gear are IDPA legal so I should be GTG in that department. My plan is to concentrate more on hits than speed at least during this outing.

Sam
09-02-09, 12:44
Where is this IDPA match located?

Ga Shooter
09-02-09, 12:49
Near Savannah, Ga. It is a local club match.

Sam
09-02-09, 17:12
I hear they run a fun match down there. Take the advices given here, especially the one by RobS, be safe and enjoy yourself.

perna
09-02-09, 21:43
This one?

http://www.lcidpa.com/

Ga Shooter
09-03-09, 10:26
I hear they run a fun match down there. Take the advices given here, especially the one by RobS, be safe and enjoy yourself.

I will have fun, but I think RobS is in south Florida not South Ga. If he is at this one I would like to meet him he has given out lots of good advice on this site.:D

Ga Shooter
09-03-09, 10:26
This one?

http://www.lcidpa.com/

Yes.....

Cold
09-03-09, 13:56
I have been invited to join and shoot with a local IDPA club. This will provide me a place to shoot ( hard to find here) and also get to shoot with people that are probably a lot better than me. Can anybody give me any advice on what to do or haow to do it or is there some reason why I should not do it? I have plenty of experience shooting various forms of weapons, but I have never shot "official" competition before.

Thanks

I shoot IDPA in Atlanta at this club (bigger one in GA)

www.gadpa.com

They are hosting the GA state championship next month too.

IMO, IDPA is a great entry into the competitive shooting sports.

Its not very overwhelming and yet can still present challenges to seasoned shooters.

Remember the basic safety rules, don't break the 180 line, listen to the Range officer and safety officer and I bet you will do fine.

The IDPA guys are excellent at welcoming in new shooters to the sport, more so then the others IMO.

Sam
09-05-09, 07:25
I shoot IDPA in Atlanta at this club (bigger one in GA)

www.gadpa.com

They are hosting the GA state championship next month too.

I'll be there. Look for lots of movers, turners, flippers, etc. :) Capel like those pneumatic driven gadgets.

perna
09-05-09, 09:25
I live in Savannah, I dont have a handgun yet but hopefully will in the near future.

Where do you shoot now?
Patricks has an indoor range, ME has one in Heinsville and might open one in Savannah, and the WMA in Richmond Hill has a range.

Spiffums
09-05-09, 13:24
I hope you have the same luck that I did when I 1st shot IPSC. I was put in the squad with the older/for fun shooters and it was the best start I could have asked for.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Ga Shooter
09-05-09, 18:07
I live in Savannah, I dont have a handgun yet but hopefully will in the near future.

Where do you shoot now?
Patricks has an indoor range, ME has one in Heinsville and might open one in Savannah, and the WMA in Richmond Hill has a range.

That is the problem in Savannah. When I shoot carbine I shoot at my inlaws farm 2.5 hrs away when we go and visit( talk about a mixed blessing:D) There is a range I think the name is Palmetto Indoor range just across the bridge to SC in Hardeeville that I have been to and is really nice but limited to 25yds. The range in RH I don't go to anymore due to our friends south of the border using full auto AKs which I feel certain are not legal.

Ga Shooter
09-05-09, 18:08
I hope you have the same luck that I did when I 1st shot IPSC. I was put in the squad with the older/for fun shooters and it was the best start I could have asked for.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it.

Thanks.. I am going to have fun I have looked for something like this in this area my whole life. To say I am excited and pumped may be the understatement of the year.

perna
09-05-09, 22:39
I only go to RH during the week, and there is usually a few people at the most and usually I have been the only one there.

Any weapon prohibited by GA Code Section 16-11-122 (i.e., sawed-off shotguns or rifles, machine guns, submachine guns and silenced weapons) is prohibited.

Fully automatic weapons and any weapon that fires more than once with one trigger pull and release are prohibited.

Should have called a ranger, they would take care of them.

Cold
09-05-09, 23:55
I'll be there. Look for lots of movers, turners, flippers, etc. :) Capel like those pneumatic driven gadgets.

He sure does. I must say when I came here from Tx I thought IDPA wouldnt get any "better" but his club matches blow some of the better Texas ones away.

Scouse
10-09-09, 09:17
The fact of IDPA, it is not gun fight training (say many!) but if you use your carry pistol (or a same model) all the same cover you would use to go to your breakfast place, same holster and magazine pouches, you are practicing all the physical skills you need. Which can not be bad. Good people make it even more fun.

Remove any ear wax as well! You listened to Rob? Good, ear wax gone.

Keep Safe.