PDA

View Full Version : PMAG Question

goodoleboy
08-31-09, 20:54
I'm getting ready to buy some PMAGs for my 6920. Just curious what color you guys use in yours. Mine just has the factory black finish. I just don't want anything too wild in it. I was just worried that the black one would make the rifle too black; I could be wrong.

Any pics would be GREATLY appreciated.

Voodoochild
08-31-09, 20:57
Say what.. :confused:

goodoleboy
08-31-09, 21:04
Say what.. :confused:

All I've ever used are aluminum mags. I'm wanting to try some PMAGs but I want to see how the different colors look. I know some look better in earth-toned finishes, I just wanted to see which color PMAGs look good in a black anodized finish.

I just don't want to sink a lot of money in some new mags just to say "The ____________ ones would have looked a lot better."

John_Wayne777
08-31-09, 21:05
Here's the key to buying PMAGs, in my opinion:

Buy whatever you can find at the lowest price.

tmckay2
08-31-09, 21:06
p mags are nice. i was a skeptic but now ill never go back. i think i got mine at midwayusa for like 13 bucks each but its the non windowed

Tango2249
08-31-09, 21:21
You can't go wrong with black...especially if your rifle is all black.

John_Wayne777
08-31-09, 21:27
All I've ever used are aluminum mags. I'm wanting to try some PMAGs but I want to see how the different colors look. I know some look better in earth-toned finishes, I just wanted to see which color PMAGs look good in a black anodized finish.

I just don't want to sink a lot of money in some new mags just to say "The ____________ ones would have looked a lot better."

Personally I couldn't care less about how they look. If you buy mags that you think aren't a good color to go with your rifle, you can fix it with some krylon.

That being said, if you want a good look at the various color options I suggest going into the AR discussions forum and looking at the picture threads. You'll see plenty of PMAGs in those threads.

randyman_ar
08-31-09, 21:38
Functionality and or ReliabilityTrumps all!!! Color, capacity, metal, polymer etc. etc. etc., just don't matter.

bkb0000
08-31-09, 22:13
people have preferences, for their own reasons. take into account the whole "what color will look coolest on my AR!!?" line will not get you very far, nor can any of us offer any advice.

choose color based on camoflage and ammunition identification/organization... there is no color that "looks best," man

JSantoro
08-31-09, 23:17
According to the bible, Joseph had a coat of many colors, thereby lending a precedent to the foundation of my PMag acquisition strategy.

perna
09-01-09, 00:21
Find the "pimp my gun" thread, you can change colors on there.

Gentoo
09-01-09, 03:01
Well, since you asked...

Black is a good all around color and can be used for all occasions year round. When you don't really know what you want or when you will use it, go with black - you can't go wrong.

Flat Desert Earth is a great summer color. Its light tones invoke images of the beach and sand and other fun summer activities. However, it is considered poor taste to wear FDE after summer is over (marked by Labor Day). So you can get them but unless you want to be crass you only have about a week to use them.

Foliage Green is more of a springtime color. Its greenish color likens to that of new grass, renewal and the spirit of Mother Earth. Unlike FDE, nothing says you can't use FG year round though. A good choice.

Olive Drab. The drab tones of it evoke feelings of utility, function and form. Most commonly worn during winter months, though if Magpul were to ever release a white PMag, experts are unsure what place this color will take. Nevertheless, OD is a strong color, and not many are able to pull this look off well, despite the fact it too is acceptable year round. Be honest with yourself about being able to wear one of these.

Orange - probably the rarest color to find. Generally considered loud, garish and unfit for normal wear. However, if you find yourself at certain rallies in San Francisco, it might be worth the trouble to hunt one of these down for that occasion.

Army Chief
09-01-09, 05:25
Well, since you asked...

Black is a good all around color and can be used for all occasions year round. When you don't really know what you want or when you will use it, go with black - you can't go wrong.

Flat Desert Earth is a great summer color. Its light tones invoke images of the beach and sand and other fun summer activities. However, it is considered poor taste to wear FDE after summer is over (marked by Labor Day). So you can get them but unless you want to be crass you only have about a week to use them.

Foliage Green is more of a springtime color. Its greenish color likens to that of new grass, renewal and the spirit of Mother Earth. Unlike FDE, nothing says you can't use FG year round though. A good choice.

Olive Drab. The drab tones of it evoke feelings of utility, function and form. Most commonly worn during winter months, though if Magpul were to ever release a white PMag, experts are unsure what place this color will take. Nevertheless, OD is a strong color, and not many are able to pull this look off well, despite the fact it too is acceptable year round. Be honest with yourself about being able to wear one of these.

Orange - probably the rarest color to find. Generally considered loud, garish and unfit for normal wear. However, if you find yourself at certain rallies in San Francisco, it might be worth the trouble to hunt one of these down for that occasion.

Two words: pure genius.

AC

poak
09-01-09, 08:49
too black.

No such thing.

kaiservontexas
09-01-09, 09:21
"Do you think these shoes go with my outfit?"

Ok, I could not resist.

I use black in my all black rifle. I use DE on my other rifle with MagPul furniture in same color. As it has been stated go with what matches or what organizational method for ammo and range trips, etc work.

Zhurdan
09-01-09, 09:39
"Do you think these shoes go with my outfit?"

Ok, I could not resist.

Isn't it something like that?

Shoes match the belt, mags match the hat or something? :D

@OP - Just buy some. I happened to buy them a long time ago and could pick and choose colors. I mainly bought black and OD because my rifle is, well... black and OD. Oh, and my hat is sometimes black or OD. :D

Iraq Ninja
09-01-09, 10:31
Ah, a metro tactical discussion!

Mag color should depend on your attire for the day.

In this case, see how the black rifle and orange mag blends well with the shooter's clothing.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/Gun%20stuff/DSC00395.jpg

Mac5.56
09-01-09, 11:31
A good friend of mine works in the high end fashion industry in NYC... I've wasted many an hour listening to things about fashion, or waiting for her to change.

You guys need to get a grip on this color obsession you all have with your M4's! Trust me you all are walking a slippery slope. It's like the dark side, once you go there you may never come back!!!;)

Ridge_Runner_5
09-01-09, 12:45
I just decided to go back to black:p

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/DSC_0002-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/XTM.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/rolling.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/eotech.jpg

Caeser25
09-01-09, 17:15
Here's the key to buying PMAGs, in my opinion:

Buy whatever you can find at the lowest price.

even if they are the non rev m version for $10.50 ;)

TheGhostRider
09-01-09, 18:31
Well, since you asked...

Absolutely excellent!!!
I've always admired people who keep current on trends in color coordination!!:p

:D:D:D

JRI
09-03-09, 18:38
Mine are black, 20 round, no window.

I don't expect to be involved in anyhting that 20 rounders can't handle plus they make it much easier to shoot in any position.

Icculus
09-03-09, 19:12
That's awesome Gentoo:D

OP, check out this thread for examples of the colors
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27882

Also when I was curious to get a better look at the larue specific ude color another user was nice enough to send me these photos for comparison (credit Byron for the photos). Maybe these will help you out.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/FG.jpg
they're on foliage pmag

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff330/byrong-tpi/lineup.jpg

Heavy Metal
09-03-09, 19:31
The best color for paint is FDE. It is easier to darken a light base than vice-versa.