PDA

View Full Version : Genuine G.I. Issue Digital Cammies Source??

hoosier
08-31-09, 21:17
I want to buy at least two sets of these, preferably brand new, but I can't find a source locally. I live in northern Oregon near Vancouver, WA.

The best source, of course, would be a company-level Supply Room or a PX. I'd even drive up to Ft. Lewis, Washington if I had a contact there, but I don't. There is no U.S. Marine Corps base near here. I prefer not to buy online because I can't examine them up close before I buy and can't try them on.

There are foreign-made/imported knock-offs out there and in all honesty I'm not sure what the real G.I.-issue cammies look like. I've seen the troops in news reports, but they're too far away to get a good look at the uniforms.

Can anybody describe some of the obvious features on the genuine G.I. cammies, like the tags, the front, rear and cargo pockets, the front closure, bottom of the pant legs I should look for? Do you have any pics you could post of these features? Do you have any of these cammies and live near Portland, Oregon or attend gun shows near here?

When are the G.I. "Multicam" cammies coming out—or is that still just in the talking stage?

Thanks.

Azul
08-31-09, 23:18
I assume you are talking about the Marine digital camoflauge

They have little EGAs in the pattern that the clones dont, at least not Truspec last i checked

hoosier
08-31-09, 23:22
I assume you are talking about the Marine digital camoflauge

They have little EGAs in the pattern that the clones dont, at least not Truspec last i checked

Yes, I'm talking about the digital cammies issued to the USMC. They come in a desert color and a greenish digital pattern. I don't know if the US Army is issued the same cammies.

What are EGAs?

wake.joe
08-31-09, 23:26
Deleted

JSantoro
08-31-09, 23:30
Eagle, Globe, and Anchor: our emblem. The patterns of issue utilities has little EGAs as part of the pattern. Take a look in the middle of the trigger guard:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8632/basegun.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/basegun.jpg/)

So, you should be able to get used utilities through surplus stores and the like, but you'll probably not have too much luck ordering "genuine" USMC utilities. What you may get is probably made to the same basic spec and by the same blind people that make ours, just with no EGAs. That pattern is proprietary.

Buck
08-31-09, 23:36

Just stand here... One of our highly trained customer service representatives will be along shortly to ensure that you receive a new set of digital utilities... They will also arrange all the transportation required to ensure a proper fit and include a certificate of authenticity…

B

kmrtnsn
08-31-09, 23:43
EGA, as apposed to FTA.

JSantoro
08-31-09, 23:46
Just stand here... One of our highly trained customer service representatives will be along shortly

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4828/icontwisted.gif (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/icontwisted.gif/)

hoosier
09-01-09, 00:09
Thanks for the info, and the photo of the EGA on the pattern.

I saw some desert cammies the other day and they had elastic on the top of the cargo pockets and on the sides of the waist. Do the G.I.-issue cammies have that? There were no draw strings at the bottom of the legs, either. The front was button-up. The tags were tan like you would expect on the G.I.-issue stuff.

Are these issued to the USMC only, or do other branches get them, too, minus the EGA?

JSantoro
09-01-09, 00:33
Marines only, though Navy Corpsmen and other folks directly attached to Marine units wear Marine utilities.

Name tapes are of the same digi pattern, not tan. Button-front is correct. The elastic you saw is correct. No ties, though there should still be holes for them if I recall correctly.

ARx3
09-01-09, 21:40
Eagle, Globe, and Anchor: our emblem. The patterns of issue utilities has little EGAs as part of the pattern. Take a look in the middle of the trigger guard:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8632/basegun.jpg (http://img90.imageshack.us/i/basegun.jpg/)

So, you should be able to get used utilities through surplus stores and the like, but you'll probably not have too much luck ordering "genuine" USMC utilities. What you may get is probably made to the same basic spec and by the same blind people that make ours, just with no EGAs. That pattern is proprietary.

Riverine
I admire your taste. My 1911 and a young Corpsman friend supplied utilities. (Just ahead of the trigger guard)
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/310/colt1911004.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/colt1911004.jpg/)

JSantoro
09-01-09, 23:51
I got that beauty for $600 from a guy who must not have known what he had. She was a bit scabbed up, as you can probably see, but good bones.

Kindness will look closer to what yours looks like by the time I get back from Afghanistan, along with some not-so-cosmetic improvements. I'm giddy with anticipation.

gruntinhusaybah
09-03-09, 01:56
Just curious, WHY do you want USMC issue cammies?

To be honest, they suck. They're a pretty heavy canvas type material, they do not breath well when dirty, the fit isn't great, they bind in the range of motion. Oh, and they're friggin expensive! I've got about 10 pair that I can't wear anymore because they have turned into the new and improved "arctic camoflauge utility"

I mean, they do cover your skin, and they work pretty darn well for camoflauge. But if you're looking for some range/hunt/shoot/have fun in clothing, I would look elsewere.

What is your intended purpose for these clothing items?

GreyOps
09-03-09, 07:20
Woodland cammies suck.

The material the deserts are made out of is much much nicer. Its lighter, breaths better and usually has a better fit

I always liked the woodlands better because I could pick the material weight based on what the weather was like (NYCO for colder months, Rip-Stop for the summer).

My question... why such an interest in obtaining the current genuine article? With the current rash of OIF / OEF impersonators out there it could end up being a sticky situation. Just want to make sure Hoosier's intentions are genuine.

KaBar762
09-03-09, 13:10
I was issued 5 pairs (2 desert, 3 green) when I arrived at Parris Island almost 4 months ago. I didn't think they were that bad until they got wet. The chaffing (sp?) would get pretty bad between your legs. Oh and don't be surprised if a Marine comes up to you, while your wearing the digi cammies, and asks why your wearing them. At boot camp they made it pretty clear we are not allowed to wear them unless on base or out in the field.

hoosier
09-04-09, 00:35
I always liked the woodlands better because I could pick the material weight based on what the weather was like (NYCO for colder months, Rip-Stop for the summer).

My question... why such an interest in obtaining the current genuine article? With the current rash of OIF / OEF impersonators out there it could end up being a sticky situation. Just want to make sure Hoosier's intentions are genuine.

Well, they don't HAVE to be USMC cammies if the EGA is the only difference. I like the pattern and I don't currently have any cammies for my BOB. So as long as I'm going to have to spend some money I thought I'd try to get a set of current-issue ones.

I actually like the earlier three-color and six-color desert patterns more, but I don't think that there are many out there that are in new condition and in my size.

If they are as stiff as some say, then maybe I won't want then. That's why I want to find a pair that I can try on before I buy—there may be some features or characteristics about them I don't like. I've only seen them from a distance.

JSantoro
09-04-09, 01:14
I didn't think they were that bad until they got wet.

You can file that one under the "Any Utilities Ever Issued" column. It's not a characteristic of the uniform, but of wet clothes in general.

Welcome to the suck.

Armati
09-07-09, 10:23
Two cents:

50/50 Ripstop NYCO used in the old Hot Weather BDU and 3 color desert uniform is the the best wet uniform I have ever worn. The ACU's new lighter NYCO material is even better in this regard but the pattern is pretty awful and they are much less durable.

The heavier NYCO twill used in the old Temperate BDU and in the current USMC uniform is awful wet. However, it is extremely durable and will soften a lot once it breaks in after wear and a few washings. It is very hot in the summer.

For a civilian who wants some fatigues but isn't restricted by uniform policies there may be better options.

If you are up for spending the money, you can do no better than the current Crye Precision Combat Uniform.

Dickies (yes as in the work clothes company) makes a great line of hard wearing 100% cotton ripstop clothes in dark greens, grey and tan. I like their mechanics coveralls for general range use. They also look sort of retro and you look more like a member of Devo than 'Tactical Ted' of your local 'militia.' You also won't care if you get gun grime and mud on them. The price is very good and 100% cotton ripstop is tough, dries quickly, and is flame resistant. It is pretty old technology but cotton ripstop does a lot of jobs well at a very low price. If you need a camo pattern, a few minutes with a stencil and a few cans of Krylon will do the job. Don't over do it with the paint, use light passes. Wash them before wear.