PDA

View Full Version : i know im an idiot but...

tmckay2
08-31-09, 22:41
can someone explain what defines a pistol ar? is it anything under 16" barrel length? how does one become licensed or approved to have a pistol ar, just pay a tax on the rifle or something? sorry for the ignorance, just never learned how it worked.

rugbymike
08-31-09, 23:09
I believe it is just an AR without a stock. It might also have to be under a certain lenght. I don't know so please don't quote me.

C4IGrant
09-01-09, 13:38
can someone explain what defines a pistol ar? is it anything under 16" barrel length? how does one become licensed or approved to have a pistol ar, just pay a tax on the rifle or something? sorry for the ignorance, just never learned how it worked.

The lower receiver is registered as a pistol (by the manufacturer). The weapon does not have a stock on it and the barrel length is shorter than 16". You cannot put a VG on on the weapon (for instance).

To be brutally honest, the AR pistol is one of the worst ideas ever and you typically only find them being made by tier 3 and 4 manufacturers.

C4

Iraqgunz
09-01-09, 22:25
In addition to what Grant said, one can also purchase a stripped lower and build into a pistol configuration which is why one must be 21 years or older to purchase one. I agree totally with Grants' assessment. They are cool for Hollywood and not much else.

buetang
09-02-09, 14:59
They're good for when you're awaiting a Form 2 also ;)