PDA

View Full Version : Real Id Act

GADAWG
02-09-07, 15:25
Have ya'll heard about this? By May 2008 everyone will have a new drivers license that contains an RFID (radio frequency id) chip. Without it you could not board a plane, open or access your bank account, enter a goverment building, and etc. There are several states opposing it such as Georgia, Maine, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico. I hope it doesen't happen but we all know that Big Brother usually gets what he wants. :mad:

Mike91A
02-09-07, 17:24
Wait til they say that chip imbedded ID does not work well enough .That someome could still use an ID other than their own. That an implant in your hand or forehead is the only way personal ID is secure from theft or misuse. In the name of safety and security the vary young and eldely will be the first to receive the device. When people reach a certain age they recieve the implant. After a couple generations everyone has it. It will be initialy a misdimaenor to tamper with the device. But when everyone has it the law will be upgraded to a feloney. Kind of like how income tax was implemented. This would be considered consperisy crap if we did not read about such things being put to practice periodicly.

JoshNC
02-09-07, 18:20
Have ya'll heard about this? By May 2008 everyone will have a new drivers license that contains an RFID (radio frequency id) chip. Without it you could not board a plane, open or access your bank account, enter a goverment building, and etc. There are several states opposing it such as Georgia, Maine, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico. I hope it doesen't happen but we all know that Big Brother usually gets what he wants. :mad:

North Carolina also already has RFID going into all new drivers licenses.

baffle Stack
02-09-07, 19:13
Being in NM I have heard of this. I don't understand what is so bad about it. Sounds very 'tinfoil hat' to me. NM has a large problem with ID thieft and if this can help I'm for it. I don't see what all the tinfoil is for.

Submariner
02-09-07, 19:33
Being in NM I have heard of this. I don't understand what is so bad about it. Sounds very 'tinfoil hat' to me. NM has a large problem with ID thieft and if this can help I'm for it. I don't see what all the tinfoil is for.

If YOU think it will protect YOU, then use it. Please don't require me to use it. OK?

Chris_C
02-09-07, 21:28
How is one card different than my Drivers lic?

An LEO in BFE Alaska can look me up and find out what he wants to know.

How is a NATIONAL card different that what a STATE card?

Sorry, I dont see people at McDonalds or Wal-Mart acting like the thrid riech like many people want to beleive will happen. Where does it say check points at the Michigan-Ohio border for 'paper checks' are to be funded?

Cops and .gov's do it now with what we have now.

BFD.

Business_Casual
02-09-07, 21:35
Ah, Hillary (Anti-Christ), and now the mark of the Beast (RFID). I guess I can run up the credit cards because it won't matter soon.

"I don't see what the big deal is." I'm sure you won't until the sign over the gate reads "Arbeit Macht Frei."

M_P

Dave L.
02-09-07, 22:53
Great so every time the card gets bent, comes in contact with a magnet, gets wet, I have to go get another ID. I already have to pay $10 for a replacement drivers license; I paid almost $200 for a Passport, how much will this "RFID" cost? I will not buy one of these national IDs out of my own pocket because stupid F-ing politicians on both sides of the isle can't make up their minds about anything common sense.

Starting a Militia doesn't sound like such a bad idea these days:D

HAMMERDROP
02-10-07, 08:26
I am wondering just how much more - red-blooded Americans can take ... before we collectively react - they found a truck load of illegals the other day all shot up - I was wondering when them guys down there were gonna snap. I dont want hear about anybody murdering anybody but that is exactly what its going to take to make the people @ DHS sleep at night. If the illegals were not marching in 2x2 formation across the border everyday we would not even be discussing get micro-chipped like some rescue dog. IMO

baffle Stack
02-10-07, 13:46
You guys crack me up sometimes.:D

rayray
02-11-07, 00:39
I live in New Mexico, finally My state is looking out for Me. Hopefully this will not pass. Because if it does, whats next?

Nathan_Bell
02-11-07, 00:49
I live in New Mexico, finally My state is looking out for Me. Hopefully this will not pass. Because if it does, whats next?

Read David Drake's "Lacey" series of stories.

GADAWG
02-11-07, 01:09
Remember that one of the first things Hitler did when he gained control of Germany was make a national id card mandatory. "PAPERS PLEASE!!" If you would have told a German what his country would do over the next 10 or so years he probably would have said that what you were saying sounded "very tin foil hat" to him. ;)

Dave L.
02-11-07, 01:19
I am wondering just how much more - red-blooded Americans can take ... before we collectively react - they found a truck load of illegals the other day all shot up - I was wondering when them guys down there were gonna snap. I dont want hear about anybody murdering anybody but that is exactly what its going to take to make the people @ DHS sleep at night. If the illegals were not marching in 2x2 formation across the border everyday we would not even be discussing get micro-chipped like some rescue dog. IMO

Who is "They" and where did this happen?

Dave L.
02-11-07, 01:31

You know it is just not dangerous enough for illegals in the U.S. I know Mexico sucks in all but didn't a bunch of people think the same thing about British Rule a while back and do something about it?
Maybe instead of finding a way to keep them out based on national security bullshit, we should make them scared to even try to come in illegally.
I gladly welcome Mexicans and any other race or religion into our country as long as you come legal and don't "F" things up for those already here.

Hearing about a truck-load of illegals all shot up doesn't surprise me at all, it will get to that point if the gov. does not act. Those GREAT AMERICAN MINUTE MEN are going to go on the offensive sooner or later...if they haven't already.

HAMMERDROP
02-11-07, 10:54
I agree whole-heartedly with you and I saw the article in the
St Louis Post -Dispatch last Wednsday. It was in the 'National' section I just scanned over the photo and article I was looking for bullet holes to figure out what kind of rounds were used to determine if I felt any compassion for them. You know if they would have been shot 200 times apiece with a .50cal my reaction would be 'Poor Bastards... shouldn't have been sneaking around.'
The photo was taken too far away and its caption said all I needed to know ...
BORDER RETRIBUTION IS BEGINNING
You have to be able to read between the lines to see it that way. I found the article for you from FOXNEWS.COM

"TUCSON, Ariz. — Gunmen stopped a pickup truck full of illegal immigrants, shot some and took the rest captive Thursday in an attack that left at least three men dead and two people wounded, authorities said.

Authorities were trying to determine who the gunmen were and said some of the immigrants remained missing.

The men shot three people, one fatally, along a known smuggling corridor near Tucson, then forced several other immigrants in the group to leave with them, Pima County sheriff's officials said.
The bodies of two of those immigrants were found about 10 miles north in the cab of the pickup truck that had been carrying the group.

Two men who were not injured were in custody and telling deputes what happened, and the other immigrants had not been found by midday Thursday.

The crime was similar to a robbery Wednesday night more than 70 miles south, near the Mexican border, said Rick Kastigar, the Pima County sheriff's criminal investigations chief. In that incident, four men carrying assault weapons and wearing ski masks robbed 18 immigrants, but no one was reported injured
Investigators did not immediately know a motive for Thursday's attack, but gangs of bandits are known to roam border areas preying on illegal immigrants as they cross into the country. Feuding among smuggling organizations also is not uncommon, sometimes involving demands for ransoms from the immigrants relatives to gain their freedom.

Thursday morning's attack occurred on a dirt road near the Silverbell Mine, about 20 miles northwest of Tucson, said Rick Kastigar, the Pima County sheriff's criminal investigations chief.

The immigrants were heading north when four men armed with assault rifles in another vehicle forced the truck to stop, Kastigar said. During the confrontation, one man was killed, another was shot in the hand — losing several fingers — and a woman was shot in the chest and suffered a neck injury.

The two wounded immigrants were taken to a hospital with "very, very serious injuries," said sheriff's Sgt. James Ogden
Cut and Pasted from FoxNews.com
And what this has to do with Government tagging us like deer on a animal reserve is vague but it applies to the topic in an off-handed way kinda of like... if
'Fatbody would have kept his padlock on his footlocker there would be no thieves?' Kinda like that ...

Michael

JLM
02-11-07, 17:18
If YOU think it will protect YOU, then use it. Please don't require me to use it. OK?

+1 bazillion

ETA: It's 'for the children' ;)

baffle Stack
02-11-07, 20:48
What I want to know is how is this going to "propel us towards a surveillance society" http://www.realnightmare.org/ as the ACLU puts it. It’s not like the damn this is going to be linked to GPS. If the .gov wants info on you they're going to get it; Real ID Act or not.

I’ll agree that is a poorly thought out act at this point, but I haven’t read anything about RFID imbedded into the Real IDs. As far as I can gather only California is stupid enough to debate broadcasting private info via RFIDs .http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_05.php#003586
That is absolutely stupid.

It makes me think… how much of our personal info is readily available to the public? Anyone with a name and a phone book can find out addresses, and with Google, forget about it. Privacy is looking way too much like a privilege instead of a right these days, especially with all theses MySpace geeks.

In short, I see your point, but I think it’s getting blown out of proportion. We are far from becoming Nazis

Dave L.
02-11-07, 22:27
Hey, what I would tell my local or state government is this, "Go ahead and make my information available to the public, but along with it post my background information along with how many guns I own". I would bet that my house never gets robbed and half my neighbors would stop their dogs from shitting in my yard.

I currently live in Hawaii where you must be FBI fingerprinted to buy a gun, and every gun has a 14 day waiting period which you can not even apply for until your local gun store has the gun in hand.
I miss my home state of Michigan where you can go to any gun store and walk out the door 20 minutes later with 10 guns.

LOKNLOD
02-11-07, 22:49
The fact is, it's the government taking an unnecessary step to increase their power over law-abiding citizens. It won't help keep illegals out, or terrorists. It's not as if them using fake IDs is the problem, if they can just walk across a few miles away from an "official" crossing. What it will do is provide a false sense of security to the sheep, and cement another building block in place for a more comprehensive and intrusive system later. Kinda like saying "well we're only going to ban machine guns". Sure...for now.

Ever heard the story of the camel and the tent? Before too long, the whole damn camel is in your tent and you don't have room to breathe.

Business_Casual
02-11-07, 23:02
The fact is, it's the government taking an unnecessary step to increase their power over law-abiding citizens. It won't help keep illegals out, or terrorists. It's not as if them using fake IDs is the problem, if they can just walk across a few miles away from an "official" crossing. What it will do is provide a false sense of security to the sheep, and cement another building block in place for a more comprehensive and intrusive system later. Kinda like saying "well we're only going to ban machine guns". Sure...for now.

Ever heard the story of the camel and the tent? Before too long, the whole damn camel is in your tent and you don't have room to breathe.

Exactly. The "reasonable" encroachment is a devil's bargin. The point is never to stop the criminal (because by definition that is impossible), it is to control the law abiding to an even greater degree.

M_P

baffle Stack
02-12-07, 00:13

Ok I can totaly understand that. Relating it to firearms makes a good metaphore in this place:cool: .

RJG
02-12-07, 00:21
JFPO thinks that this will be a new opportunity for the feds to track and maintain firearms purchases. Given that it is a new system being put in place, there would be a chance that new legislation could arise with regard to firearms purchases.
http://www.jpfo.org/alert20070207.htm

Dave L.
02-12-07, 21:14
I can see the headlines now:

"Millions of AR-15 Style Rifles were reported stolen only 1 hour after Senator Hillary Clinton became President".:D

redduck21502
02-13-07, 18:53
Great so every time the card gets bent, comes in contact with a magnet, gets wet, I have to go get another ID. I already have to pay $10 for a replacement drivers license; I paid almost $200 for a Passport, how much will this "RFID" cost? I will not buy one of these national IDs out of my own pocket because stupid F-ing politicians on both sides of the isle can't make up their minds about anything common sense.

Starting a Militia doesn't sound like such a bad idea these days:D

I think RFID is pretty durable. I remember hearing that England had clothing stores that would hide RFID chips into clothing so they could track when what part of the store you would go to so that they could better cater to your needs. They were designed to go through the washer and dryer without being destroyed. The only way to stop them from working is to microwave them until they burn, but you get a small burn hole in your clothes.

I saw a news article about Maine trying to reject the Nat'l ID Act, they said my wonderful state of MD is all for it. I don't get how a liberal state like mine can approve of something pushed through by the Bush Administration to keep us safe. I suppose both sides want a dictatorship, just through different means. They must figure they will get to take over next year and have all this power that Bush took from the people.

Business_Casual
02-13-07, 21:19
" I suppose both sides want a dictatorship, just through different means. "

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Now you get it.

M_P

whitecoyote
02-21-07, 21:54
There was a movie made some years back called "Logens Run". Looks like we are headed in that direction!
Also, will our Government require illegal mexicans to get this "ID"?
I doubt it!

Jerm
07-11-09, 17:29
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090711/ap_on_bi_ge/us_chipping_america_iv

I have no problem putting on the tinfoil for this garbage.:mad:

kaiservontexas
07-11-09, 19:23
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3697940.stm

Barcelona clubbers get chipped
BBC Science producer Simon Morton goes clubbing in Barcelona with a microchip implanted in his arm to pay for drinks.

Simon Morton gets his microchip
Having the chip inserted was a breeze
Imagine having a glass capsule measuring 1.3mm by 1mm, about the size of a large grain of rice injected under your skin.

Implanting microchips that emit a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) into animals has been common practice in many countries around the world, with some looking to make it a legal requirement for domestic pet owners.

The idea of having my very own microchip implanted in my body appealed. I have always been an early adopter, so why not.

Last week I headed for the bright lights of the Catalan city of Barcelona to enter the exclusive VIP Baja Beach Club.

The night club offers its VIP clients the opportunity to have a syringe-injected microchip implanted in their upper arms that not only gives them special access to VIP lounges, but also acts as a debit account from which they can pay for drinks.

This sort of thing is handy for a beach club where bikinis and board shorts are the uniform and carrying a wallet or purse is really not practical.

Thumping heart

I met the owner of the club, Conrad Chase, who had come up with the idea when trying to develop the ultimate in membership cards and was the first person implanted with the capsule, made by VeriChip Corporation.

Nurse Laia preps the chip
Nurse Laia held a rather large needle
With a waiver in his hand Conrad asked me to sign my life away, confirming that if I wanted the chip removed it was my responsibility.

Four aspiring VIP members sat quietly sipping their beverages as the nurse Laia began preparing the surgical materials.

Like a scene from a sci-fi movie, latex gloves and syringes were laid out on the table as the DJ played loud dance tunes that made my heart thump, or was it just fear?

Questions were going through my mind. Would it hurt? What are the risks? What if I want to get it out?

I ordered another drink.

Comfortably numb

Laia started by disinfecting my upper arm and then administered a local anaesthetic to numb the area where the chip would be implanted.

With the large needle in her hand, she tested the zone which made me flinch and led to another dose of the anaesthetic.

The microchip
The chip is contained in a tiny glass capsule
With a numb arm, Laia held up the rather large needle containing the microchip and inserted it beneath the layer of skin and fat on my arm.

She pressed the injector and it was in - my very own 10 digit number safely located in my body.

The chip is made of glass and is inert so there is no risk of it reacting with my body.

It sits dormant under the skin sending out a very low range radio frequency so it will not set off airport security systems.

The chip responds to a signal when a scanner is held near it and supplies its own unique ID number.

The number can then be linked to a database that is linked to other data, at the Baja beach club it make charges to a customers account.

If I want to leave the club then I can have it surgically removed - a pretty simple procedure similar to having it put in.

Now, the question of did it hurt. Having the chip inserted was a breeze, no real pain to report of.

The real pain was the sore head the following day after a night on an open bar tab.

Forget ID cards it is just to cool to take a microchip. I wonder when they will be running ads on MTV for this crap.

The_War_Wagon
07-11-09, 20:53
Now, now... it's nothing a few seconds in a 7-11 microwave oven can't fix. ;) For goodness sakes, don't do it at HOME (in case it goes thermonuclear :eek:)! Just throw your license in with your breakfast burrito, and VOILA - up yours, Big Brudda! :D

thopkins22
07-11-09, 23:20
I know a few people that fried the rfid chips in their passports.

Yet another thing that may in fact be well intentioned, but in the end will do nothing for security but will make large steps towards stripping us of liberty.

Are they going to tie these cards in with our health information and insurance information and do like the videos say? Not now...but who knows what comes about in the long term.

drrufo
07-11-09, 23:24
I am required to carry a TWIC card. Terminal Workers Ident Credential at work. Anyone who enters a terminal must have one to go onto the terminal unescorted.
I had to pay 140.00 for the privilege of working for a living, the catering truck workers can't get one so the roach coach doesn't enter the terminals.
The truckers can't get them either so they go to MacArthur park in LA and buy them, but the counterfeiters are so stupid they don't copy the back side of the card.
Copying them is a huge federal crime and they have already busted many truckers for the phonies.
I can't wait for the next round of BS that flies out of the DHS>

CryingWolf
07-12-09, 00:02
Doesn't matter as hackers have already hacked RFIDs

http://tv.boingboing.net/2008/03/19/how-to-hack-an-rfide.html

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/rfid.html

P.S.
RFID Making easier for the hackers to steal your identity!!!

Mjolnir
07-12-09, 18:29
"I suppose both sides want a dictatorship, just through different means."

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Now you get it.

M_P

Exactly. And it's well-documented in open source literature though too few choose to read tomes like Tragedy and Hope by Carroll Quigley.

There goal is TO RULE, no doubt about it; and the American public is too stricken with self-imposed ignorance, arrogance and apathy to recognize it, much less organize and initiate Godly action. The next five years will be most interesting.