PDA

View Full Version : Function of gas block

jtheise4
09-01-09, 09:25
Hello. Sorry if this is an extremely basic question. I've done searching on this forum as well as on the web and I can't find the function of the gas block. Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks.

rhewitt
09-01-09, 10:01
Direct gas from the barrel to the gas tub in to the bolt carrier. It also can hold just about anything if you get one that has mounting base on it.

Mac5.56
09-01-09, 11:45
jtheise4:

I understand your frustration. I taught myself from the ground up about the AR system because I had not only no experience with the AR, but no experience with automatic weapons as a whole. So I found myself really struggling with certain phrases, terms, ext. Things that were basic knowledge to pretty much 99% of the people that have any interest in firearms. A lot of the simple questions you wont find on here using the search. They can also be hard to find on the internet. Wikipedia tends to be a good source for some basic definitions of what a part does. But one source I suggest if you are a super rookie is Sweeny's book "The Ar-15". He breaks down the operation of the rifle in such a way that it is basic and easy to understand. Don't waste your money on Volume 2, just buy the first one. I found mine at Gander Mnt. But Barnes and Noble carries it too.

Quib
09-01-09, 20:01
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/GasSys.jpg

August
09-01-09, 21:15
It turns the gas 90 degrees -- from up (out of the barrel), to back (down the gas tube).