PDA

View Full Version : How will the SPR or Recce do as M1a Replacement??

Curio Bill
02-10-07, 12:24
Give me some advice here. I have an M1a that I am ashamed to admit I have never shot (School, kids, work, life, etc!!!) . For various reasons, (308 milsurp drying up, MUCH higher reloading costs than 223, desire to know how to use the AR system, etc.) I am planning to sell off some C&R milsurp rifles to finance a return to AR's. (I had a preban Bushie CAR that I sold during the Clinton era). I am considering/debating also selling the M1a when I sell the milsurps so I can acquire a high quality scoped SPR or Recce type AR (ala MSTN quality/level rifle) in addition to or instead of a KISS type M4. I know this would be a high dollar setup, but I have reached the point in my life where I would rather have 1 or 2 QUALITY items (rifles) instead of a bunch of ordinary items.

And yes I know I will need to go to a training class & learn to reload 77gr ammo.

QUESTION = How will the SPR or Recce do as M1a Replacement in terms of effective range??? (My M1a is NOT scoped).

Thanks, Bill.

Zak Smith
02-10-07, 21:37
No problem matching the accuracy, but a lot of problems matching the terminal punch.

muskyjerk
02-14-07, 12:20
My M1A never gets out anymore:(

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c382/muskyjerk/MK12mod0IMG_0003.jpg

When I feel like sitting down my SPR comes to the range so I can make little groups

AR-15A3
02-14-07, 15:08
I used to have a Sringfield M1A NM which I had for a long time but I sold it several years ago because I'm more into AR stuff.

I'm currently in my SPR build project and I haven't decided on what caliber to get either the 5.56 or the 6.8 mm SPC.

The 6.8 mm would be more expensive but would have more punch in long ranges, my shooting will be mostly long range so I'm leaning to go with the 6.8.

If you're just going to use it in medium ranges the 5.56 SPR should be a good choice.

the_accuser
02-15-07, 21:33
I don't have an M1A but I can say I love my SPR Mk12 mod 1 clone built by ADCO Firearms especially with the OPS model 12 suppressor. I'm pretty much hooked on the .223 round because of the light recoil, great choices of ammo and price and new products are always around the corner (SIG556, Magpul MASADA, etc..).
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/rrasprmk12m1p1.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/rrasprmk12m1ops12p1.jpg

Target at 100 yrds shooting Federal XM193 55gr FMJ and Radway Green 62gr FMJ.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e251/the_accuser/0207target.jpg

Voodoo6
02-16-07, 19:06
5.56 is a great round, just not a great man stopper. it has light recoil and pretty good ammo availability. I shoot NRA High Power National Match course with my Armalite M15A2NM with iron sights at 600 yards where the x ring is the size of a softball. The M1A is a great rifle but like you said, with milsurp ammo drying up and if you haven't shot it, it isn't that much of a loss. Find a rifle you really like or build one the way you want and kick some felonious paper butt with it!

My match gun has a baby brother that is a super M-4 and if I pop on the mil-dot 3 x 9 scope, it can group 10 shots in a dime sized hole at 100 yards. With my scope on, I can reliably hit silhouettes at 700 meters with it (in no wind). That being with a 16" barrel! If you're only punching paper, no problem!

Usually, it wears an EOTech 552 HWS for CQB. I zero it at 34 meters which makes it dead on again at 250 meters. At 125 meters it is only +4.25". At 3-5 meters for CQB, I use the 6 o'clock tick mark and it's right on the money. If you are seriously using the rifle as a war weapon, avoid M855 green tip (SS-109) because it's not that accurate and it just punches holes and doesn't put 'em down. Best stopping results in Iraq are with that Black hills 77 gr BTHP ammo (which I happen to use in my match gun...). 77gr. is as big (LOA) as you can get to fit in an M-16 magazine.

Whether you are going to use a light or a laser or a bipod will be the deceiding factor on the forearm. There are alot of stocks available as well...all mission capable and dependent on your needs. If you're looking to get rid of an almost new M1A, there should be PLENTY of people looking to buy one!! Good luck and shoot safely.

PJS

rayray
02-22-07, 19:46
I love My M1A as much as My M4. Sorry I cant help You. But, there are plenty of good people on this site that can.

michealj
02-27-07, 15:17
QUESTION = How will the SPR or Recce do as M1a Replacement in terms of effective range??? (My M1a is NOT scoped).

Thanks, Bill.

I consider myself lucky in the fact that I own a version of all three rifles you are asking about.

M1a w/ mostly USGI parts:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_0322Large.jpg

Recce'ish Bushmaster:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_0775Large.jpg

Mk12 Mod0'ish:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_1085Large.jpg

As long as the weather cooperates, I shoot steel two or three times a month out to 1200 yards but I suck at anything over 50 yards.

Range:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_0932Large.jpg

Of the three rifles, I shoot the Mk12 Mod0(SPR) 2 or 3 times more often. The reason for this is because the SPR is a very enjoyable to shoot. MOA with factory ammunition, very little recoil, not as heavy as the M1a, 5.56 is cheaper than 7.62, and eats anything I feed it.

I have owned the M1a for several years but because 7.62 ammunition is more expensive I don't shoot it as often as I would like, but it is a sub MOA rifle if I do my part.

I built the Recce a couple years ago and love to shoot it, but just don't. The barrel is one of Denny's(GTS) Recon barrels and it is also a MOA rifle if I do my part. This rifle prefers Black Hills 73gr BTHP which uses the Berger bullet and has taken a few coyotes and a bunch of jack rabbits.

If I was only able to own one rifle, it would be the SPR. I built it maybe a year after the Recce and I kick myself for waiting so long to build it. Most of the parts came from JTAC supply. I get the best results with handloads, but Black Hills 77gr BTHP never disappoint.

As far as effective range, the 7.62 is all over the 5.56 past 300 yards IMO. At 600 yards 5.56 barely chips the paint off the targets while the 7.62 has no problem making divots in my mild steel targets. Also because I shoot across a couple small valleys the wind plays havoc on the windage of the 5.56 while the 7.62 pushes pretty much straight through without any change in windage. But because I suck out past 600, I am comfortabe with the 5.56 for medium distance shooting. HTH

vinesr6
02-27-07, 17:47
What barrels are you all using on your SPR's. I'm having one built by PDC...I prefer the Mod0's looks but I'm not sure I need to spend the extra $200 for the PEQ rail....:(

michealj
02-27-07, 17:59
I'm using a WOA barrel right now. Very accurate with the heavier rounds. The shoulder was not cut back as far as I would have liked, but that was an easy fix.

If my Noveske 18" AR-10 barrel is as accurate and easy to clean as my 12.5" Crusader I will get a Noveske 5.56 SPR barrel next.

tinman44
02-28-07, 00:26
sorry not trying to highjack or derail. i know mostly about the laws concerning select fire and short barrels but what license if any do you need to have a suppresor?

vinesr6
02-28-07, 22:32
sorry not trying to highjack or derail. i know mostly about the laws concerning select fire and short barrels but what license if any do you need to have a suppresor?

If FAs and SBRs are legal in your state, (most likely) then you can/could get a suppressor. Find the CAN you want and get in touch with your local SOT then he can transfer the suppressor to you via F4...of course you have to get the signoff etc etc...But then there's the Corp or trust route...:D

tinman44
03-03-07, 02:12
If FAs and SBRs are legal in your state, (most likely) then you can/could get a suppressor. Find the CAN you want and get in touch with your local SOT then he can transfer the suppressor to you via F4...of course you have to get the signoff etc etc...But then there's the Corp or trust route...:D

i'm assuming you mean the marines? some old lady in a car she couldnt see over the stearing wheel ended my chances of serving my country. i really have no need for a suppressor i was just curious to be honest.

Alaskagrown
03-03-07, 02:30
i'm assuming you mean the marines? some old lady in a car she couldnt see over the stearing wheel ended my chances of serving my country. i really have no need for a suppressor i was just curious to be honest.

Corp = Corporate you can form your own corporation and the corporation purchases the items instead of you