PDA

View Full Version : SCAR Stock

jhs1969
09-01-09, 18:40
clynch;

I've read from a few people who considered the stock on the SCAR to be a little fragile, especially at the hinge point. Can you speak to this at all? While it may 'seem' fragile I would like to think that a company like FN would have tested it. This has been my biggest head scratcher, everything else on the SCAR should only need training (keep thumb below charging handle).

JoshNC
09-01-09, 19:45
I do not think it is fragile at all. Seems well made and robust, like the entire rifle. I have not tortued my personal rifle, but have spent alot of time fiddling with the stock and hinge. Seems like it is well designed.

jhs1969
09-01-09, 20:03
Thanks for the reply, I've seen a small handful of people knock the SCAR on this point but I'm glad to hear from an owner. If it wasn't 3k I'd certainly look deeper into getting one, if the local economy picks up I may then as well. If you would not mind I would love to hear more on your opinion of the SCAR. I read a post from one shooter who complained of nearly getting his thumb broke by the charging handle, this seems it may be more of a training issue to me but what are your thoughts on this. Again thanks for the reply.

kal
09-01-09, 20:23
I read a post from one shooter who complained of nearly getting his thumb broke by the charging handle,

The easiest way to solve this issue is to use a forward grip. It's a hell of alot more natural to use than cocking your wrist by holding on to the handgaurd, or a mag well.

jhs1969
09-01-09, 22:37
The easiest way to solve this issue is to use a forward grip. It's a hell of alot more natural to use than cocking your wrist by holding on to the handgaurd, or a mag well.

Yes, I agree. I have been using a vfg about 5 years now, it and a RDS were the first things to get added to my LMT, so I didn't feel it would present much of a problem for myself but I've only handled a SCAR one time for about 60 seconds and thought I would ask after seeing a couple of comments about it. It's price tag is too steep for me at this time, if money were not an object right now I would order one and find out for myself. I sort of feel out of place asking so many questions when I can't afford it but I have a desire to learn as much about it and a few other systems as I can. One, because weapons have always been my number one interest and two, I hope the job market here improves so I can begin to aquire some of these things again. Thanks to everyone for their input.

YVK
09-02-09, 21:27
Not enough time with mine, but so far, no durability issues. I actually plan on making SCAR my "trunk" gun, so we'll see how it survives bouncing around. Re charging handle: I share the concern but the only way I can shoot this weapon is with VFG anyway, so this obviates the risk.
I have a number of ergonomic issues with this weapon and I am working around it, so I've not come to a verdict. I do suggest to everybody who considers buying this piece to try and handle it, optimally, fire it before dropping your $$$.

NCPatrolAR
09-02-09, 23:19
I was able to put some rounds through a SCAR last year and didnt see the absolute need of a VFG.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/Brachialstun/DSC01845.jpg

YVK
09-03-09, 00:03
I was able to put some rounds through a SCAR last year and didnt see the absolute need of a VFG.

Agreed; that's why "I" is in bold in that sentence of mine:

.. the only way I can shoot this weapon is with VFG anyway...

If shooter's support palm is primarily on 6 o'clock rail just like on your photo, then charging handle is not much of a problem. If support palm is on 9 o'clock rail, then CH can hit the inside of a wrist; at least, that's my case. Stubby VFG gives me enough surface to place my 4th and 5th fingers and also serves as physical barrier preventing hand from sliding too far back.

Since we're talking about this, an additional issue that my support hand position presents is that 9 o'clock rail is fully covered and I can't use it to mount a flashlight - I normally use an offset mount to position the light at 10-11 o'clock.

Turnkey11
09-03-09, 00:46
I shoot mine without a VFG, but I index the web of my hand on the tailcap of my scout light. I have also fired with a magwell grip and had no issues with the charging handle. As far as the buttstock goes I dont think it will break, Ive only folded mine twice, once before and once after I bought it, locked out it feels solid enough.

NCPatrolAR
09-03-09, 11:02
Agreed; that's why "I" is in bold in that sentence of mine:

If shooter's support palm is primarily on 6 o'clock rail just like on your photo, then charging handle is not much of a problem. If support palm is on 9 o'clock rail, then CH can hit the inside of a wrist; at least, that's my case. Stubby VFG gives me enough surface to place my 4th and 5th fingers and also serves as physical barrier preventing hand from sliding too far back.

Since we're talking about this, an additional issue that my support hand position presents is that 9 o'clock rail is fully covered and I can't use it to mount a flashlight - I normally use an offset mount to position the light at 10-11 o'clock.

My hand is under the gun in that photo because I'm shooting from the braced kneel. When I shoot from other positions, my support hand sits on the left side of the reciever.

When it comes to the light; use an offset mount and put it on the top rail.

YVK
09-03-09, 11:44
When I shoot from other positions, my support hand sits on the left side of the reciever

Yep, I can't clear the charging handle reliably when shooting that way; the inside of my wrist gets hit occasionally.

When it comes to the light; use an offset mount and put it on the top rail.

That's exactly what I did, and I find that with VFG my hand is better positioned to activate the light. Without VFG and with hand on left side of rail - I like gripping as far forward as I reasonably can - even the shortest clickie is too far back to get activated without significant grip change.