PDA

View Full Version : Got my UBR today

Stryker
09-01-09, 22:51
The only downside is I seem to be unable to use my ASAP.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-02-09, 00:21
The only downside is I seem to be unable to use my ASAP.

Fellow UBR user here, and I've been wondering the same thing. The MS2 sling seems like a great option, but without an ASAP-style solution for the UBR, I'm not seeing where it'd benefit me a whole lot more than my current setup of a slacked-out Vickers sling. :confused:

haiedras
09-02-09, 00:59
Yeah, you can't use any sling adapter from what I remember on the instructions, since the UBR is designed to work without a sling plate.

Turnkey11
09-02-09, 01:31
I still use my MS2 sling with a QD swivel on my UBR, shoulder transitions about as easily as with the ASAP plate on other lowers.

SWATcop556
09-02-09, 01:32
The ASAP plate will not work with the UBR. If you don't like it I'll take it. I could use another. :cool:

Stryker
09-02-09, 11:05
I really think Magpul should have designed the UBR with the ASAP in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love every product I have purchased from Magpul, but think this was one thing they should have considered.

LOKNLOD
09-02-09, 11:13
I think it would be reasonable to design a loop that replaced the forward-most QD socket with an ASAP-style bar w/ sliding link. But it takes design time, and manufacturing capacity.

With relatively few UBRs out there, and only a portion that would want that addition, there probably isn't a demand significant enough to justify the development costs and production costs.

Personally -- I think the UBR is best suited on full length rifles and I don't like the single point on them as much, so I'm happy with attachments for a 2-point. I do love me some UBR goodness though!

rob_s
09-02-09, 11:16
I really think Magpul should have designed the UBR with the ASAP in mind. Don't get me wrong, I love every product I have purchased from Magpul, but think this was one thing they should have considered.

The ASAP came after the UBR. Since the UBR does not use a stock receiver endplate, and the ASAP replaces the stock receiver endplate, how would they make one work with the other?

Stryker
09-02-09, 11:27
[QUOTE=LOKNLOD;445204]I think it would be reasonable to design a loop that replaced the forward-most QD socket with an ASAP-style bar w/ sliding link. But it takes design time, and manufacturing capacity.

Prior to reading this post, I was sitting here thinking the same thing...some sort of loop that replaced the forward QD swivel.

And Rob, I didn't consider that the ASAP came after the UBR....so my bad.

C45P312
09-02-09, 11:39
Man! I have a ubr inbound too.

csun_00
09-02-09, 13:04
I have had a UBR for about 8 months now, I absolutely love it, I use a QD adapter from Bravo company and a it works fine for my single point sling. This one here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/VLTOR-QD-Sling-Swivel-HD-p/sling%20swivel%20qd%20hd%20vltor.htm

Stryker
09-02-09, 21:03
The only problem I have with using the forward QD is that I am 6'4", and weight trained my entire life. The MS2 just gave me enough room with the ASAP. Now, with the UBR and the QD, I'm just a bit tight, especially when transitioning to the left.

TehLlama
09-03-09, 01:01
The M93's were the only stock with that combined ability - I wish MagPul still made them (or if Falcon/Ergo would license make them as I've heard rumored)
They'd be great on a lightweight setup with an ACOG or something similar.

rob_s
09-03-09, 05:07
that is the first time I've seen "M93" and "light weight" in the same post. those things were heavy bitches, and way too complicated internally. The UBR is a design evolution of the M93, and I see no reason to go backwards other than nostalgia and "grass is greener" misconception.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-03-09, 07:53
I pulled my UBRs forward QD point and played around with some plastic coated wire cable trying to make a loop. It gave me more of an appreciation of the ASAP plate. There is a lot less room to play with there than you think, after you take into account that the web of your hand is close because of the grip. I got a nice tight loop, but the hardware I bought for attaching to the ends didn't work well, or at all really. Only been to Lowe's. An MS2 for a UBR type rifle is probably not the sweet spot of the market, but there definately is something that could be done. I have a lower I'm building up with a CTR, so I'll just use it there.

ICE1811
09-03-09, 13:50
They are both heavy for my taste...

JSGlock34
09-03-09, 19:18
I had thought one of the elegant features of the UBR was how it dismissed with receiver end plates and castle nuts...the UBR is very easy to install, no staking necessary. A clever design.

If only it was about half the weight...